Catholic rift in health-care debate may help pass bill

There are 20 comments on the GoErie story from Mar 20, 2010, titled Catholic rift in health-care debate may help pass bill. In it, GoErie reports that:

An unusual public split between U.S. Roman Catholic bishops, nuns and hospitals over abortion in the health-care overhaul could undermine the church hierarchy's influence on the debate and give anti-abortion Democrats the political cover they need to vote for the bill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Derek

Pampanga, Philippines

#1 Mar 20, 2010
Nobody in their right minds cares what the Catholic Church thinks about anything.

They're nothing but a group of primitive thinking/corrupt devils.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#2 Mar 20, 2010
how is the catholic church going to effect ANYTHING?
HOW many nuns are in congress?

the idiocy and bias of the press is nothing short of mind boggling...
Dan

United States

#3 Mar 20, 2010
Derek wrote:
Nobody in their right minds cares what the Catholic Church thinks about anything.
They're nothing but a group of primitive thinking/corrupt devils.
You read the article; you keep up on primitivism, corruption and/or devils on a regular basis?
Dan

United States

#4 Mar 20, 2010
carey529 wrote:
how is the catholic church going to effect ANYTHING?
HOW many nuns are in congress?
the idiocy and bias of the press is nothing short of mind boggling...
I guess you could ask your Congressional representative if he or she would like to have the Catholic vote at the next election. I'm quite sure the answer ould be "yes". Lots of them out there.
young lad

Emerson, NJ

#5 Mar 20, 2010
the official position of the church on abortion has shifted
young lad

Emerson, NJ

#6 Mar 20, 2010
http://www.google.com/url... now archbishop Dolan will look the other way on abortion

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#7 Mar 20, 2010
Catholics and abortions at demand don't mix. Abortions are more a Jewish thing.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#8 Mar 20, 2010
There are as many nuns in Congress as there are bishops. Nuns give cover for a yes vote, the bishops for a no vote. That should be obvious enough, but some people are a little slow...

Catholics are interested in the opinions of leaders in their church. Most worshipers listen to a sermon by the priest, preacher, imam, rabbi, whatever; then weigh an issue in light of faith. Many also attend study groups, Sunday School (or the equivalent), listen to religious radio & TV, etc.

Most people don't cast a vote because the bishops say so, but religious leaders are at least listened to, even if their opinions are dismissed.

usa

#9 Mar 20, 2010
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you could ask your Congressional representative if he or she would like to have the Catholic vote at the next election. I'm quite sure the answer ould be "yes". Lots of them out there.
and the VAST majority of them DON'T want this health care ...
voting no, will keep the catholic vote.

usa

#10 Mar 20, 2010
PooPoo Platter wrote:
There are as many nuns in Congress as there are bishops. Nuns give cover for a yes vote, the bishops for a no vote. That should be obvious enough, but some people are a little slow...
Catholics are interested in the opinions of leaders in their church. Most worshipers listen to a sermon by the priest, preacher, imam, rabbi, whatever; then weigh an issue in light of faith. Many also attend study groups, Sunday School (or the equivalent), listen to religious radio & TV, etc.
Most people don't cast a vote because the bishops say so, but religious leaders are at least listened to, even if their opinions are dismissed.
yes ... lots of folks ARE slow ... we'll wait for you to catch up. for a little while, anyhow.
AARP said

Scottsdale, AZ

#11 Mar 20, 2010
PooPoo Platter wrote:
Exactly. We are a family who often are not in agreement in terms of opinion on current issues. What we are in agreement on is who the Son of God is & how we honor him.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#12 Mar 20, 2010
carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
yes ... lots of folks ARE slow ... we'll wait for you to catch up. for a little while, anyhow.
I'm way ahead of you Carey!

In fact, as I type this, I have Fox News on the TV.'Ol PooPoo is feeling generous and I'm helping them boost the ratings LOL!!!

The President is addressing the Democratic caucus, live, commending the Members on the eve of passing health care reform. So you see, I'm feeling good!

You should too, Carey. You've been saying President Obama would not bring about health care reform, that it could NEVER be done. A little pessimistic, but it doesn't matter now! Good news! We're going to fulfill the bill!

What a glorious time! What great days for us to to be alive and Americans! Carey, you and I are privileged to be here to witness history! Progressives since Teddy Roosevelt have wanted health care for all Americans. Now, we have begun to make the dream come true!

Thanks to the great leadership of the majority in Congress, led by Majority Leader Harry Reid and Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a bill will be passed.(With a straight up & down vote says Fox News) And it will be signed into law by President Barack Hussein Obama.

This is a great step forward for the nation, and we can be proud. Remember Carey, we are not bound to win, or to succeed, we are bound to be true. This weekend, our Congress has been true, in service to to the American people.
We're not leaving people alone to struggle on their own, but we are providing them a helping hand. What could be better than that?

As President Obama would say, God Bless the United States of America!
Derek

Pampanga, Philippines

#14 Mar 21, 2010
I Gots Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, abortions are more of a black thing. In 2006, black women accounted for nearly 36% of all abortions. Guess what? Black women do not make up 36% of women in the country.
White women made accounted for 52% of the nations abortions.
Ma Ma Monkey

Emerson, NJ

#15 Mar 21, 2010
Obamacare will pass, then the dollar crash,martial law and fema camp.Did anyone believe the democrats would just kill off their careers for Obamacare?They are not telling us the truth because both dems and repubs have been promised safety as the fire consumes joe the plumber.
Derek

Pampanga, Philippines

#16 Mar 21, 2010
I Gots Mine wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, abortions are more of a black thing. In 2006, black women accounted for nearly 36% of all abortions. Guess what? Black women do not make up 36% of women in the country.
According to the CDC's "Abortion Surveillance—United States, 2001," slightly more than half (51.5%) of the women who had abortions in 2001 were younger than twenty-five years of age. Most were white (55.4%), unmarried (81.6%), and in the first two months of pregnancy (59.1%).(See Table 4.2.)

Women in the twenty- to twenty-four-year-old age group obtained the greatest proportion of abortions in 2001—one-third (33.6%) of the total. Nearly one-quarter (22.8%) were obtained by those ages twenty-five to twenty-nine, and slightly more than one-sixth (17.0%) were obtained by women ages fifteen to nineteen years. Less than 1% were obtained by women younger than fifteen years. Women ages thirty to thirty-four had 14.7% of abortions in 2001, and women thirty-five years and older had 11.3%.(See Table 4.3.)

In 2009 the majority of abortions (nearly 60%) were early abortions—those obtained during the first eight weeks of pregnancy. The percentage of early abortions had grown rather steadily over the previous twenty-eight years, from slightly over 36% in 1993.(See Table 4.2.) As Figure 4.3 shows, the percentage of women who obtained an early abortion in 2009 increased with age. Approximately 66% to 67% of women ages thirty and over obtained early abortions.
Seeking truth

Dearborn Heights, MI

#17 Mar 21, 2010
59,000 nuns are a forceful group. Generally, just one can change the world. Look at Mother Theresa. I think a lot of you just really hate Catholics.
Seeking truth

Dearborn Heights, MI

#18 Mar 21, 2010
Derek wrote:
<quoted text>
White women made accounted for 52% of the nations abortions.
This legislation will provide assistance to pregnant women who may want to keep their baby or give it up for adoption. Here in America, a lot of barren American couples want to adopt HEALTHY white babies that are being aborted.
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

Stockton, CA

#20 Mar 21, 2010
Is it just me or does Nasty Lugosi look alot like Gollum from LOTR?

Pass our healtchcare bill, the precious...pass the preeeecccciiiiiooooouuuussssss ...
Chaos

Hartford, CT

#21 Mar 21, 2010
Eighthman wrote:
Catholics and abortions at demand don't mix. Abortions are more a Jewish thing.
Pedophiles are more a Catholic thing.
Derek

Pampanga, Philippines

#22 Mar 24, 2010
Seeking truth wrote:
<quoted text>
This legislation will provide assistance to pregnant women who may want to keep their baby or give it up for adoption. Here in America, a lot of barren American couples want to adopt HEALTHY white babies that are being aborted.
So what, what gives you or your religion the right to tell others what they should and shouldn't do or believe in.

Sounds like a bunch or strange, judgemental hypocrites to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tim Ryan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democratic US Rep. Ryan says he now supports ab... Feb '15 serfs up 38
News Obama to seek GOP help in pushing through trade... Dec '14 Mothra 48
News Six-time incumbent challenged by two hopefuls i... (Nov '14) Nov '14 Delbert Grady 1
News Pennsylvania lawmaker who fired on mugger has a... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Cat74 9
News Pennsylvania lawmaker who fired on mugger ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Bama Yankee 4
News Lawmaker in shootout with robber near Pennsylva... (Oct '14) Oct '14 Bama Yankee 1
News Democrats find living on minimum wage is tough (Jul '14) Aug '14 Anonymous of Indy 493
More from around the web