A cloud over the Capitol? | The Columbus Dispatch
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.
#1 Apr 25, 2010
Which of our founding fathers said "When the government fears the people you have freedom. When the people fear the government you have tyranny. We now have tyranny.
#2 Apr 25, 2010
The main problem with congress is that our elected officials have forgotten that this public service,not personal enrichment we really don,t need term limits but this should be made a part job with little to no compensation,take away their pension plan which is drowning this country and they would be one and done,would,n it be great to work for someone for two years and be richly compensated for the rest of our lives.If their main compensation was social security that would be the most solvent fund in this country, we did away with the Jim Crow laws in the 60,s but why do we still have seperate but unfair.
#3 Apr 25, 2010
wow even the article sounds kinda fishy,,what is with these people,,,bullshit bullshit
#4 Apr 25, 2010
Typical politics as usual...line my coffers and to heck with my constituents and waht they think...All I can say is what goes around comes around...November will or at least should eliminate a good portion of this attitude..NEED TO TAKE THE OATH TO UPHOLD THE CONSTITUTION SERIOUSLY !!!!!!!!!! which I personally believe over half of current elected officials don't understand nor do they believe in !!!
#5 Apr 25, 2010
The system is corrupt. The only way to fix it is to change it. The majority of members of Congress are only interested in themselves and getting re-elected and they enjoy the money and power.
Here are the changes that will get the system back in kelter.
1. Remove all retirement benfits for all members of Congress. Being a professional politician is not a free ticket for retirement.
2. Remove all health care benefits for all members of Congress. Why should politicians get a free lunch when it comes to health care.
3. Limit Politicians to two terms in any one political office.
4. Limit campaign fund raising to $100,000 for House positions,$250,000 for Senate and $1,000,000 for Presidential candidates. And no one can receive more than $100 in campaign contributions from any one person in a one year period.
5. All campaign ads, speeches on seeking to be elected can only begin 60 days prior to voting.
6. Any Politician who invokes, God, Family values, or shows pictures of them with their spouse and children for campaign photo-ops shall immediately face the firing squad. You can't trust a policitian who uses their children to get votes.
7. Anyone getting elected and receives at least $1 in contributions from someone shall never be allowed to work for them, ever.
8. All Politicians shall be polygraphed once a year and if they fail any key questions such as "have you lied, cheated, stolen anything, used your politicial office for material gain, failed to pay taxes or had sex with anyone other than your partner this year, shall immediately resign and will never be allowed any politicial position in any jurisdiction again. It's not that we care who they have sex with because after all Politicians are being paid by the people so they are already prostitutes of the system. Since you are always trying to screw everyone just to get what you want we want to limit it to your partner.
This would be a good start.
#6 Apr 25, 2010
I agree some with commonsense.. It is a public service position.. But here's a few problems with such. First people with money (companies mostly) wanting this law say for isntance mandotory insurance law insurance compoanies have consistently funneled money into making sure it is a law to have auto insurance, so they can prosper more. people and greed at it's best same with gas companies having gas over four close to five dollars a gallon when d emand is down yet price going up? That was greed by the top and lower level people getting paid to speculate and screw with the market.
There should not be allowed special interest groups to see politicians (even ranging to state reps to top) or an even open forum where companiy reps and average people meet in an open room with politicians to discuss issues.
Then there is the second problem people in companies or special interest groups waying ok if you won't take this bribe we will slander you through ways you can't prove or by the time you do prove it your career will be toast/you won't win. SO what does the politician do for achoice of rotten apples? Openly say such against a company/group and risk getting set up or loosing fund raisings from companies by doing such?
I don't trust government for the msot part because in what I have researched and seen money coreupts the process..Our government (US) got on the news a day or two before sept 11th 2001 and said they couldn't account for 2.3 trillion dollars
#7 Apr 25, 2010
There is a "disrespect for the institution" because the "institution" disrespects who they are supposed to represent. Congress works for us, we don't work for them. That's why you are called 'public servants."
#8 Apr 25, 2010
I was just looking up info on Jeffrey brown Earl. ANd I found out he has OVI, failure to reinstate lic, no lic, opersting a vehicle on sidewalk (motorcycle), and a few other minor offenses on record.Also a civil case agaisnt him in past fro mthe City of columbus..
Only thing I could find on Edward brown is failure to yeild accident, but amazingly his fines of over $200 were nicely dissmissed from the judge..
Anyhow just some small notes there on some columbus cadidates. Though all in all people ellected need to not argue over who had the most parkign tickets, or who had the most marches in the semi almost gay pride parade and focus on what they intend to do if elected..Say for isntance focus on I the candidate promise (now we nall know a promise from a politician even obama is not worth much, but hey it sounds nice) to focus on columbus economy, fight corruption , have no special interest groups let into my office, and so forth good things for the future of the people not th future of the rich people. Not having schools raise more taxes for levies when school employees are getting decent to good raises in a very down time economically( this is an understatement the economy is poop in Ohio). I mean seriously spending more money and taxing home owners more, yet letting school employees get pay raises when the Ohio unemployment rate is over (at least was at a recent point) 10%(not to metnion those who can't get any more unemployment and the under employed because they are working for less than what they normally would just to make ends meets..) is really a lousy thought. Lets see railway plan for 1 mile or rail in north side?hmm sounds stupid one mile of railway for north side, what is hte south side supposed to do walk to that one mile stretch or take a cab? And 25 million dollars to look into pa rail system betwen cincy and clev..there already is one! What a waste of money anda friend of mine called the gov office, the mayors office, dand a couple of other offices(kept getting transfered for about two hours) and never got a straight answer on why it would cost os much to investigate enviormental effects of putting in a rail system from cincy to clevland..Wait there already is one! Couldn't get an honest or intelligent answer in two hours on the phone..
This kind of waste and massive stupidity people following people blindly where the cash goes people will follow or politicians.
Add your comments below
|President Trump urges GOP to fight Pennsylvania...||Mar '18||jean||2|
|Ohio businessman, deported after 38 years in US...||Feb '18||spocko||48|
|Man deported to Jordan from US after 39 years||Feb '18||Truth||3|
|Tucker Carlson kicks Democrat off program amid ...||Feb '18||Red Crosse||8|
|US agency says it won't delay Ohio man's deport...||Jan '18||Cordwainer Trout||3|
|Rep. Tim Ryan leads fight to stop deportation o...||Jan '18||Cath League of Du...||5|
|Why not move the 'swamp' out of Washington?||Dec '17||I am Spartacus -||2|
Find what you want!
Search Tim Ryan Forum Now
Copyright © 2018 Topix LLC