Officers forced to shoot dozens of es...

Officers forced to shoot dozens of escaped animals at close range

There are 24 comments on the The Raw Story story from Oct 19, 2011, titled Officers forced to shoot dozens of escaped animals at close range. In it, The Raw Story reports that:

Authorities in Zanesville, Ohio said Wednesday they were forced to kill dozens of dangerous animals - including lions, tigers and other large carnivores - after as many as 51 escaped from a local farm.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Raw Story.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Spotted Hyena

Rochester, NY

#1 Oct 19, 2011
Hahahahahahaha

I bet every Law Enforcement agency in the area will have stuffed and mounted heads and bodies of the poor animals they killed on display in their lobbies and offices.

ROFLMAO
1st Janitor

Baldwin Park, CA

#2 Oct 19, 2011
This is what happens when someone takes animmals out of their natural environment and tries to make an amusement of them. Many of those animals are so rare they are on the boarder of extinction. If the government can't take proper actions to protect them, unfortunately, the sherif and his men are forced to do the only thing they can and kill them to protect the population around the area they escaped from. It's the fault of the freak who thought he could keep wild animals that close to people and he should be forced to shoulder the blame. Not that I think the fool cares.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 Oct 19, 2011
FORCED to Shoot??? What the hell...
Aren't Tigers an endangered species - will these cops be arrested for killing those tigers...

Ever heard of a Tranquilizer Guns you bunch of azzholes.
Rob

Toronto, Canada

#4 Oct 19, 2011
To LLT1;
Yes tigers are endangered species to answer your question. No the police will not be arrested. Use common sense if you have any. Tranquiler guns were not readily available. Police had to use lethal force with these wild animals. They had no other option. They could not take a chance that a person could be killed by one of these many escaped killer animals. Shoot to kill was the ONLY option at the time and especially before dark in order to protect the public. Tranquilizer guns were brought in as soon as possible by animal control but police continued to use their weapons in the name of public safety. They did a remarkable job given the circumstances so to call them names as you have just shows how ignorant you are. No person was injured or killed and that was their goal.
Kcp

Bergholz, OH

#5 Oct 19, 2011
I have to agree with the decisions of the police force. If you had any little kids, you would want the animals restrained asap even if it meant to put them down. Rob is right on, they did their job to protect the public. You should be thanking the police force for dealing with this matter as quickly as they did.
louise

Barboursville, WV

#6 Oct 19, 2011
LLT1 wrote:
FORCED to Shoot??? What the hell...
Aren't Tigers an endangered species - will these cops be arrested for killing those tigers...
Ever heard of a Tranquilizer Guns you bunch of azzholes.
yes meat head they are endangered to human lives, your poor little child would be an appetizer you idiot

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#7 Oct 19, 2011
Jack Hanna did a news conference about this.
they had to shoot them because none of them are tame, and they hadn't been fed in a couple of days, and it was the middle of the night, not a good time to go lion hunting in suburban Ohio.
Last I heard 3 animals were still missing, a mountain lion (long gone), a wolf (long gone), and a monkey (probably just hanging around looking for fruit, check the bodegas).
Also, rumor has it that the owner unlocked all the cages then shot himself, so I don't think he'll be held responsible for anything anytime soon.
Stop the Madness

United States

#8 Oct 19, 2011
Rob wrote:
To LLT1;
Yes tigers are endangered species to answer your question. No the police will not be arrested. Use common sense if you have any. Tranquiler guns were not readily available. Police had to use lethal force with these wild animals. They had no other option. They could not take a chance that a person could be killed by one of these many escaped killer animals. Shoot to kill was the ONLY option at the time and especially before dark in order to protect the public. Tranquilizer guns were brought in as soon as possible by animal control but police continued to use their weapons in the name of public safety. They did a remarkable job given the circumstances so to call them names as you have just shows how ignorant you are. No person was injured or killed and that was their goal.
As angry as I am at this selfish idiot, the local govt. is also to blame for the deaths of these animals. They say they had constant complaints about poor care and roaming animal.....30 in the past year. They should have been removed so that this couldn't have happened. I believe this guy released them to get even with his neighbors and then killed himself. Eighteen endangered tigers (never mind the rest of the animals) had to die because of stupid people. What a shame!
Logical

Elk City, OK

#9 Oct 19, 2011
For them to give the dead animals to the Trophy Hunters is just Too Much Get rid of the IDIOT! The Sheriff must go!!!!!!!!!
Logical

Elk City, OK

#10 Oct 19, 2011
anneutral wrote:
Jack Hanna did a news conference about this.
they had to shoot them because none of them are tame, and they hadn't been fed in a couple of days, and it was the middle of the night, not a good time to go lion hunting in suburban Ohio.
Last I heard 3 animals were still missing, a mountain lion (long gone), a wolf (long gone), and a monkey (probably just hanging around looking for fruit, check the bodegas).
Also, rumor has it that the owner unlocked all the cages then shot himself, so I don't think he'll be held responsible for anything anytime soon.
Jack Hanna has no business what so ever poking his nose into anything and to take up for killing the animals? The Zoo needs to get rid of him too!!! I'll bet his wall is covered with Animal Head trophys! Get rid of him!!!!
Spotted Hyena

Rochester, NY

#11 Oct 19, 2011
How much you wanna bet that if a farmer or private citizen saw one of these "dangerous" man-eaters on their property and shot it dead, instead of a cop doing it, they'd be charged with poaching and discharging a weapon in city limits.
animal control

Mount Vernon, OH

#12 Oct 19, 2011
John Kim

Brea, CA

#13 Oct 19, 2011
These protected endangered species like tigers and lions should not have been killed.
Police should be charged with animal cruelty.
These animals should be tranquilized and moved back to their zoo.
Amber

Leiden, Netherlands

#14 Oct 20, 2011
They are murderers!!!!!Massmurder!!

“My Bad! Just hold me. ”

Since: Aug 07

Orion's Belt

#15 Oct 20, 2011
Truly is hard to speak any words of this..for my heart is so swollen within my chest it is hard to speak.

Bless each of these animals for somehow to me they are in a better place at last.

We need to put the animals first in the future and stop folk from owning them. This way something like this will not happen again.
geronimo

United States

#16 Oct 20, 2011
It is so sad that these beautiful creatures had to be killed, the Bengal Tiger, there are so few left. How was this person able to even obtain these animals? Law enforcement had to do take care of this, and unfortunately, it was the only way. I read the story that these animals had not been fed in days, so, that made it even more dangerous to the people. Maybe, in the future, these laws can be changed, and people not be able to possess such animals, for these animals belong in their natural habitat' not as someone's possession. I am so srry that this had to happen.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#17 Oct 20, 2011
Before leaving office, former Gov. Ted Strickland-(D) issued a ban barring people from bringing exotic animals into Ohio.
Teabagger, John Kasich refused to renew the ban - and 48 exotic (wild) animals are dead.
Blood on Kasich's hands, because a ban on dangerous wild animals is an affront to our liberty!/sarcasm.
Hungry Hippo

Rochester, NY

#18 Oct 20, 2011
Ironic that the cops over-reacted and shot to kill these "escaped" animals. Most of those gunned down, hadn't even left the property.

Yet they let hundreds of convicted murders, rapists, violent assaulters out of prison each yr, no problem.
Whick group is the bigger threat to society?
Idiot Patrol

Acworth, GA

#19 Oct 20, 2011
Demonstrating the sickness of our society, Jack Hanna and the sheriff's office are getting attacked like crazy from the sickos that think the animals were more important than the local population that was exposed to the threat.

What to do? Why make lemonade, of course! Right? We are turning into a barbaric society that victimizes each other and sees others as something less than humans and fellow countrymen. Make MONEY off it! These dangerous man-eating creatures are cuddly fun toys and happy friendly human-like creatures from cartoons, right? When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Put the tigers and mountain lions in an enclosed area and start the show.

"Jane Cravitz of Bumfuct Ohio will now attempt to hug and cuddle with THREE Bengal tigers at once! Jane has just been released into the arena. She slowly approaches with what looks like a doggy toy from Petsmart. Her wireless microphone is returning extensive baby-talk as she assumes the tigers will talk back in English. She's getting closer, offering the play toy... closer... OOOHHHHH! And she got her answer!"

"While crews pick up the pieces of our last contestant, let's interview our next contender. This wife of a northern California medical marijuana grower feels the tigers are just misunderstood and didn't get enough hugs and love. Meet Betty Braindead." "Betty, what kind of chewey toys have you brought with you today, and how do you intend on bringing the tigers to closure to help them start their new life of love and happiness?"
Hungry Hippo

Rochester, NY

#20 Oct 20, 2011
I hope Idtio Patrol has pitbulls that maul him and his spawn to death

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Strickland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kasich wants rail funds used other ways (Nov '10) Jun '17 Reality Speaks 195
News kasich works to erase state's 'Rust Belt' label (Feb '17) Feb '17 Ronald 8
News Ohio Cops Say Man Ran Hooker Review Web Site (Jan '09) Feb '17 Helpful Phart 16
News Renewable energy mandates: How does Ohio compar... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Patrol chief, safety boss on way out (Aug '09) Jan '17 El Gato 76
News Mourners Pack Auditorium for John Glenn's Life ... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Cordwainer Trout 1
News Welfare- to-work faltering in Ohio | The Columb... (May '11) Nov '16 Pam 1,046
More from around the web