Ohio solar project a go | The Columbu...

Ohio solar project a go | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 84 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 6, 2011, titled Ohio solar project a go | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The largest solar-power project in the Midwest will be built in a rural area of eastern Ohio.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Alinsky

Toledo, OH

#85 Jul 7, 2011
Kennesaw71 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ****, that's how the weight of air is figured, 1 square inch is 14.7 pounds.
Just as I suspected, the PHD on this forum stands for Post Hole Digger!
Come on!!!! This is a fastball down the middle for a Physics teacher!!!
Air is 14.7 lbs per square inch!
Acre is 43,560 square feet!
This is how Ohio folks are being fleeced; because your Gubment school teachers have you dumbed down to Post Hole Diggers!
That's pressure, not mass whiz kid.
Kennesaw71

Kennesaw, GA

#87 Jul 7, 2011
I see nobody has proven differently how many horsepower it takes to move 10 acres of air 10 MPH.

Answer: 24 Million.

It's good to be me.
Jerry333

Galena, OH

#88 Jul 7, 2011
Kennesaw71 wrote:
I see nobody has proven differently how many horsepower it takes to move 10 acres of air 10 MPH.
Answer: 24 Million.
It's good to be me.
Though a bit off point Kennesaw71 is correct, in one repsect:

Assuming you are at sea level and your air pressure is 14.7 psi, every molecule of air over a 10 acre spread between the ground and outerspace would be 922,078,080 lbs of air. Moving this much air at 10 MPH (52,800 ft/hr) would require just over 13.5 billion ft-lbs/s, which equates to just over 24.5 million hp.

I am not sure what the point is, however, considering a surface wind of 10 MPH certainly never means that every molecule of air between the ground an space is moving at the same speed in the same direction. The 24 million hp number is rather meaningless.

I think James Burkes (comment #84 above) captures the issues regarding wind the best.
Kennesaw71

United States

#89 Jul 7, 2011
Jerry, thank God there is hope for Ohio.

The point was wind power as well as solar is simply not feasible. There's a lot of potential horsepower to be had but there will not be a machine in our lifetime with the efficiency to harness an acceptable percent of it. Nobody questions this though. They can't push a pencil on the level of you and I, they only make snap, feel good, decisions based mostly on, "hey, as long as somebody else's money is being spent, I'm all for it."

There is a lot more realistic potential in harnessing the horsepower of ocean currents but people like Strickland deemed these foreign companies that make these windmills winners of taxpayer revenue that will end up costing taxpayers a lot more than what they will yield at a time they can least afford it. Hey, it was somebody else's money though, right????

I love how you guys tried so hard to prove me wrong all day simply based on the fact we disagree on economic policies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Strickland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News kasich works to erase state's 'Rust Belt' label Feb '17 Ronald 8
News Ohio Cops Say Man Ran Hooker Review Web Site (Jan '09) Feb '17 Helpful Phart 16
News Renewable energy mandates: How does Ohio compar... Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Patrol chief, safety boss on way out (Aug '09) Jan '17 El Gato 76
News Mourners Pack Auditorium for John Glenn's Life ... Dec '16 Cordwainer Trout 1
News Welfare- to-work faltering in Ohio | The Columb... (May '11) Nov '16 Pam 1,046
News Rob Portman, Ted Strickland take the gloves off... Oct '16 Jaysus Sharia 19
More from around the web