State now says 3C train will average 50 mph

Ohio's 3C passenger trains just got a lot faster. State officials released a new train schedule yesterday showing that the journey from Cincinnati to Cleveland would take as little as five hours and 11 minutes, which shaves more than an hour off the state's initial forecast. Read more
First Prev
of 60
Next Last
woodstock

Westerville, OH

#1 Sep 25, 2010
3C train will not pay for it's self, the city buses don't ,so what makes anybody think this train will be anything more than a money pit

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
towncryer

Akron, OH

#2 Sep 25, 2010
Another Obamanation. He'll throw a whitehouse party then take a vacation to celebrate the wasting of more taxpayer money.

If the private sector thought a rail system could make money, they'd be adding rails to every town. Since it is not feasible to make money, nobody with any common sense will touch such a wasteful plan. Leave it to big gov't Ted Strickland to accept this with open arms.

Send Ted packing on the crazy train in Nov.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#3 Sep 25, 2010
woodstock wrote:
3C train will not pay for it's self, the city buses don't ,so what makes anybody think this train will be anything more than a money pit
Cars don't pay for themselves - they are taxed and subsidized and have loads of hidden costs. Neither will the airlines ever become self-sustaining.
Now, let us figure out what modes of transportation provide the "free lunch".
watcher

Columbus, OH

#4 Sep 25, 2010
More BS. They are like little kids and lie to get what they want. I have a lawnmower that goes almost this fast. What a JOKE! Not worth our time or money.
NO TRAIN!!!!
The New White Tiger Party

Columbus, OH

#5 Sep 25, 2010
What a bunch of cowards. They get posts they consider not politically correct and they kill the thread.

Agenda defined: an underlying personal viewpoint or bias
DMGHOOPS

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 25, 2010
As someone who rode Amtrak for the first time this summer, I can say that it is a delightful and refreshing way to travel. Sure you can get places a bit faster by flying, but you have the airport security to hassle through and for those of us who have a fear of flying, it is so much more relaxing than flying and even driving. You don't get somewhere and have all of this road rage built up. You are just relaxing and enjoying the scenery or reading a book, or playing on your computer, or making a trip to the dining or observation cars, and before you know it, you are at your destination. Try it sometime, you'll like it!

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#7 Sep 25, 2010
The Republicans are against it. The Democrats are for it. It must be the silly season again.

The Vanderbilts ran the New York Central in 1935 using old equipment on old track - but they were Republicans running a business, weren't they. 5 hours then. Here we are on today's freight trackage with lots more grade crossings and we're doing 5 hours. The maintenance and upgrades to move off of freight trackage and remove grade crossings (cars and trucks are inherently dangerous at the grade crossing).

I'll bet that Nichols, Dawson and the antagonists have never been in an Amtrak business car. With tables, power, lighting, refreshments and large seats, just think of all the work that can be done. Work you can't do in a car that isn't chauffeur driven. You don't have to worry about falling asleep at the wheel, or dodging wrong-way drunks on the Interstate, either. Supporters of 3-C have fresh data from real live transportation consultants (that have ridden trains). You are really saving time on a train - and arrive rested to boot!

Anti-3C forces have only quoted early proposals and data from approved political reporters. I'd rather look at the hard facts than some of the guesswork I've seen up to now. Why should Ohio be the only significant area in the country with no National Rail Passenger service? Do we want to advertise ourselves as just another backwater state. There is no reason that we make this essential piece of our infrastucture a political football to satisfy those who want to beat their chests during the "silly season".
Terp

Columbus, OH

#8 Sep 25, 2010
What part of "NO" don't they understand?
TooLate

Lewis Center, OH

#9 Sep 25, 2010
No transportation pays for itself. NONE. If we want to use that logic then we need to shut down all roads, all buses, all sidewalks, everything. Cleveland and Cincinnati already have had passenger rail for a hundred years. Where is the outcry????? Repubs are just trying to make a hot button issue out of it. Disgusting.
Downtown worker

Hilliard, OH

#10 Sep 25, 2010
WOOOO WEEEE!!!!!

50 whole miles an hour????? You're flying now, huh Ted Strickland? You're a moron. Your entire administration is full of morons. My truck will average 70 mph between any of those locations and once I get there I don't have to worry about walking or paying for a cab or having someone pick me up and your train will cost me about what gas will cost me. Plus, you have no idea how to pay for this once you've built it.

No matter, 4 months from now once you're out of office, this will no longer be an issue.
nmetro

Loveland, CO

#11 Sep 25, 2010
Remember 9/11? What happened? Oh yeah, all flights were grounded for a week. What 9/1 showed, besides fervent paranoia from Republicans for the past 9 years, is that this country needs an alternate transport system besides cars and air planes.

While a 5 hour trip from Cincy to Cleveland to go about 220 miles does not sound like high speed; it does provide a means to travel between the cities in the event snow shuts down I-71/I-75 or if the entire air system is grounded again.

From Columbus, it will make it easy to do day trips without the stress of driving I-71 or trying to fly (not cheap).

Of course, if they did this right has had transport connections to the Dayton, Cincy, Columbus and Cleveland airports it could make it easier for travelers to Ohio to choose cheaper alternatives to come to the state; increasing tourism. Think Delta hub in Cincy or Frontier flying into Dayton. Finally, this service will connect into the national AMTRAK network.

So,detractors don't like this idea mainly because President Obama proposed it. Funny, back in 2001, many Republicans were thinking of trains as a viable alternative to air transport. Now they are against; what they were for. Sounds like the health care bill; you know, the one we have now they proposed in 1993?
WTF

Delaware, OH

#12 Sep 25, 2010
DMGHOOPS wrote:
... the airport security to hassle through ...
That pesky airport security that keeps us safe while traveling with others. How is getting a train full of people with minimal (at best) security screening safe? Do some research on the world news, even national news, and tell me how comfortable you feel afterwards. I can only hope that soon we are subjected to similar security measures at rail stations as we are at the airport.

Columbus, OH

#13 Sep 25, 2010
From the article:

"Also yesterday, the Department of Transportation announced that the state has entered into a contract with the international consulting firm Parsons Brinkerhoff to do a detailed environmental and engineering study of the 3C route"

The time for buying votes is NOW!
Richard

Toledo, OH

#14 Sep 25, 2010
DMGHOOPS wrote:
As someone who rode Amtrak for the first time this summer, I can say that it is a delightful and refreshing way to travel. Sure you can get places a bit faster by flying, but you have the airport security to hassle through and for those of us who have a fear of flying, it is so much more relaxing than flying and even driving. You don't get somewhere and have all of this road rage built up. You are just relaxing and enjoying the scenery or reading a book, or playing on your computer, or making a trip to the dining or observation cars, and before you know it, you are at your destination. Try it sometime, you'll like it!
Glad you liked it.. Just one question.. why should the taxpayers be paying for your relaxation?

Columbus, OH

#15 Sep 25, 2010
brat wrote:
there's nothing wrong with rail. it's the thieves, oops politicians, that are in charge. for that matter, that's across the board. how else can you explain the overall effective tax rate in ohellho being in the top 5? gotta' line those pockets.
if you can't guarantee 120mph including stops, quit wasting our money.

My Reply:

I'm a guaranteein' 125mph if you arrange for a litle $400 million loan I don't have to ever pay back. Ordinarily I charge $500 million but if you are flexible with the change orders and such I'll sign the contract for $400 million. If I have to use union people the cost will neccesarily have to go up as well since those fellers drink beer and smoke pot at lunch and will hurt productivity. AND, you can't ever get rid of them.
Bob

Cygnet, OH

#16 Sep 25, 2010
This is a great distraction from the main issue: the cost. How much would it cost for my family of 4 to go from Columbus to Cleveland and back? Right now it's costing me approx $30 for gas (I'm not going to include wear/tear or insurance - those are sunken costs - 2 of these trips per year won't impact these items).

When I drive the 3 other members of my family are able to play video games, do schoolwork, play cards etc...and they don't have to worry about driving - much like those that would be riding the train.

Tell me that this will cost $7.50/ticket for the Columbus/Cleveland route and subsidies will be less than $17Mil and will only fund rail repairs and improvements and I'm sold.

Columbus, OH

#17 Sep 25, 2010
From the article:

"State officials released a new train schedule yesterday showing that the journey from Cincinnati to Cleveland would take as little as five hours and 11 minutes, which shaves more than an hour off the state's initial forecast"

We all know how fantastic these government types are with figures. In the words of the immortal Jed Clampett: " eeeeeeee doggy, when that boy commences to cipherin'.

Columbus, OH

#18 Sep 25, 2010
Here we go again:

"The revision boosts the average train speed to more than 50 mph (including stops), a significant improvement over the oft-cited 39-mph figure state officials included in their application for a federal grant"

Why sweet hang glidin' Jesus, why didn't I think of that! I could be one of them there consultants too!

I'd be better because I can imagine speeds of more than 100 mph (including stops) which is even a more better significant improvement over the oft-cited 39-mph figure state officials included in their application for a federal grant.

I'll bet there are other posters that can imagine higher speeds than me.

The challenge has been made people so get your dream catchers out of the car and lets see how fast we can make this baby!
Richard

Toledo, OH

#19 Sep 25, 2010
nmetro wrote:
Remember 9/11? What happened? Oh yeah, all flights were grounded for a week. What 9/1 showed, besides fervent paranoia from Republicans for the past 9 years, is that this country needs an alternate transport system besides cars and air planes.
While a 5 hour trip from Cincy to Cleveland to go about 220 miles does not sound like high speed; it does provide a means to travel between the cities in the event snow shuts down I-71/I-75 or if the entire air system is grounded again.
From Columbus, it will make it easy to do day trips without the stress of driving I-71 or trying to fly (not cheap).
Of course, if they did this right has had transport connections to the Dayton, Cincy, Columbus and Cleveland airports it could make it easier for travelers to Ohio to choose cheaper alternatives to come to the state; increasing tourism. Think Delta hub in Cincy or Frontier flying into Dayton. Finally, this service will connect into the national AMTRAK network.
So,detractors don't like this idea mainly because President Obama proposed it. Funny, back in 2001, many Republicans were thinking of trains as a viable alternative to air transport. Now they are against; what they were for. Sounds like the health care bill; you know, the one we have now they proposed in 1993?
This Republican never liked trains. Two questions...1-With a $13 TRILLION dollar debt, why should the taxpayers be paying for something that can not survive on it's own? Secondly, how do you solve the "last mile" problem? Not every person that rides that train is goint to want to do their business at the train depot? How do you get from the depot to your destination? Cab? Bus? How convenient is that??? This is an amusement park ride... If this is such a great idea, why has AMTRAK been shutting all these type of lines down???? No riders, that is why...

Columbus, OH

#20 Sep 25, 2010
So much material and so little time:

"Scott Varner, spokesman for the Department of Transportation, said state transportation officials devised the new schedule in consultation with the Woodside Consulting Group, a four-person firm that specializes in railroad planning"

Outsourcing more jobs to California I see. Aren't there any prestidigitators and conjurors in Ohio?

I wonder which side of the political fence these folks reside? Have they ever contributed to a political party? How are they with stagecoaches?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 60
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Strickland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ohio governor names first minority to his Cabinet (Feb '11) Mar 17 swedenforever 8
News Ohio added more new jobs over past four years t... Mar 10 Le Duped 2
News Same-sex marriage arguments flooding federal co... (Aug '14) Mar 10 kuda 30
News Democrats strike God, Jerusalem from convention... (Sep '12) Feb '15 Ben 138
News Akron's Mayor Plusquellic is contemplating an 8... Feb '15 Bain 1
News Democratic US Rep. Ryan says he now supports ab... Feb '15 serfs up 38
News Former Kasich aide now lobbyist (Nov '10) Jan '15 swedenforever 42
More from around the web