Kasich can expect a fight on leasing turnpike | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Gov. John Kasich senses another political fight brewing over one of his proposals - his intention to lease the Ohio Turnpike.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
opalsantos

Hollywood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

Judged:

Unemployment numbers are comprised of those that are in the job market for the past 30 days. It does not include those that have not been in the job market in the last 30 days: people who have given up looking; those that have gone off unemployment because it has run out. One solution to unemployment is "High Speed University" check it out
Really

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

Judged:

Well no surprise here - we have a governor who is finally doing something to fix Ohio and solve problems, and then we have democrats and union members opposing the plan. Much of the same old BS. Ohio needs to be rid of these union problems once and for all!
Kasich Sucks

Tiffin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

He SUCKS!! There's just nothing else to say.
Jason Conaway

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2011

How does this save money? Yes, the State would receive income from the lease, but it also loses income from no longer directly collecting tolls. Follow the money! The only way this deal could save the State money is if the turnpike is currently losing money, but a private company won't agree to the lease terms unless they can make a profit. They only way the company can make that profit and still pay the lease is to raise tolls and/or cut costs. Cutting costs implies reducing quality and/or employing fewer workers. Privatizing something that endures indefinitely will not result in lower costs; it merely shifts (and amplifies) those costs to the new operating entity, which then passes the costs on to the State when negotiating lease terms. And don't get me started on the ethical issues of privatizing prisons (which Ohio is also doing).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••