Last WWI vet seeks memorial for comrades

Last WWI vet seeks memorial for comrades

There are 37 comments on the CNN story from Sep 9, 2008, titled Last WWI vet seeks memorial for comrades. In it, CNN reports that:

At 107, Frank Buckles must know there is not much time for him to honor the memory of his comrades who served the United States during the first World War.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
unanimous

New Egypt, NJ

#23 Oct 18, 2008
we have the united nations for a reason and some people feel that's not good enough, these stupid nuclear powers and dictators. why can't people just believe in equality. it's like living with your siblings,you cant live with them you can't live without them.

and for those who know of death note, light is right, this world is rotten. unfortunately the way he goes about trying to help is wrong, but the purpose of trying to make the world a better place is good. and very noble, but fighting and killing, is still wrong no matter how you look at it
unanimous

New Egypt, NJ

#24 Oct 18, 2008
Jill R wrote:
It'd be great to have a memorial for the armed services folks who fought and died in WWI. But maybe on one side the memorial could quietly state that all those people were wasted on a war whose origins were trumped by individuals seeking selfish gain. So sad that all those fine people died for nothing and their families suffered for nothing.
those people dint quite die for nothing, they were trying 2 stop dictation. unfortunately the war was pointless because people shouldn't be trying to take over anyway. we have mouths, why cant we use them instead of hiding behind weapons and power.
the saying is actions speak louder then words, but at the time the only beneficial action was for the suffrage amendment. words can be just as effective the action, and less people die over a dispute between political leaders.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Since: Jan 07

Your the Man!

#25 Oct 18, 2008
Doesn't matter what you feel about WW1 or the Iraq war or anything in between. What counts is to honor those men and women who did serve and made the sacrifices. Our troops rock! Always did, always will. Love, peace and happiness J48

“6 of one, 0110 of the other.”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#26 Oct 18, 2008
jimmy48 wrote:
Doesn't matter what you feel about WW1 or the Iraq war or anything in between. What counts is to honor those men and women who did serve and made the sacrifices. Our troops rock! Always did, always will. Love, peace and happiness J48
I think the best way to honor these folks is to never again repeat the situations that precipitated their sacrifices.g

“"drive for five in'10"”

Your the Man!

#27 Oct 18, 2008
Slimey wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the best way to honor these folks is to never again repeat the situations that precipitated their sacrifices.g
Your right and in a perfect world that might happen. But since its not reality and wars are always going to happen, the people who give their lives should be honored and recognized for their service. Just standing at the VN memorial is an experience like no other.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#28 Oct 19, 2008
Slimey wrote:
<quoted text>
So slime, do you honor these men or not?

Location hidden

#29 Oct 20, 2008
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>So slime, do you honor these men or not?
Hard to say. Though I have served, I continue to learn about military and diplomacy. I never resort to violence when it comes to misunderstandings or outright confrontations.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#30 Oct 20, 2008
Slimey wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to say. Though I have served, I continue to learn about military and diplomacy. I never resort to violence when it comes to misunderstandings or outright confrontations.
So you cannot say if you honor these men or not? Another fence straddler?

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#32 Oct 20, 2008
I do this wrote:
i like punching ole white fkers like this in there face. SHOCK! lol.
Then maybe this country is not for you slick.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Your the Man!

#34 Oct 20, 2008
i do this wrote:
<quoted text> i just like watching the expression on the face. cause you know they be thinking , you wouldn't do that back in my days. LOL!
Wow dude you have some serious issues. Ever thought about some kind of counseling? Or meds? Nah..........more drugs is probably the last thing you need.

“"drive for five in'10"”

Your the Man!

#36 Oct 20, 2008
I do this wrote:
<quoted text>i love trauma, the shock on there face is worth a good slap. LOL!
Well its really sad to see people treating each other that way. Theres enough trauma in life in our world today without creating more for another human being.I hope someday you find peace and happiness within yourself. J48

“America's Silent Service”

Since: Aug 08

Burlington, MA

#38 Oct 20, 2008
i do this~ Just look around before you do that because one day, someone who has RESPECT for thier elders, is going to see you and watch your reaction to your own ass getting beat down.
the last

Denver, CO

#39 Oct 20, 2008
boy this "last" claim is getting old, but I remember the cival war had the same problem,
every old geezer and there widow claimed the title.
I follow history, and vet forums, and I must have seen, at least 20 different people make the claim.
heres a thot, maybe in 10 years we'll decide who the last one was.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#40 Oct 20, 2008
I do this wrote:
<quoted text>thanks. but i am not the only one who does this. others call it happy slapping. no body gets hurt or kills anyone, we just like to see the way they react. its so funny. LOL!
Then please give me your name and address so you can happy slap me knucklehead.

Location hidden

#41 Oct 20, 2008
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>So you cannot say if you honor these men or not? Another fence straddler?
Sure, whatever. Regardless, I can appreciate that I have the right to straddle the fence, should I so choose. I was merely avoiding any self-righteousness by saying I've honored these men more than most people in the world, much less the US. And no, I don't wear a lapel pin either - I've got a DD-214 that shows my pride much better.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#42 Oct 20, 2008
Slimey wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, whatever. Regardless, I can appreciate that I have the right to straddle the fence, should I so choose. I was merely avoiding any self-righteousness by saying I've honored these men more than most people in the world, much less the US. And no, I don't wear a lapel pin either - I've got a DD-214 that shows my pride much better.
So do you feel as if your service to this Country was honorable?
Eric L

AOL

#43 Nov 5, 2009
MSO4 wrote:
<quoted text>Eric, I salute your Gramps. And do not worry about that other skank, just another troll with nothing better to do.
Thank you very much. Good news!: The legislatiuon for the World War I Memorial passed unanimously by both parties regarding the memorial! Special thanks must be given to sponsor of S.760 Sen. Claire McCaskill(D-Mo.), co Sponsor Sen. Kit Bond (R-Mo). and Sponsor of HR 1949 Rep. Emanuel Cleaver(D-Mo). Ron Paul voted Nay on the bill and I hope that the VFW and American Legion holds his feet to the coals for this. Nonetheless, my grandfather would be proud.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Poe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House makes aggressive legal push on immi... Mar '15 ronnie 3
News GOP lawmaker says Obama will lose immigration a... Mar '15 wild child 26
News GOP rep: Obama 'trying to rush' judge on immigr... Mar '15 wild child 5
News House passes $42.3B homeland security funding bill (Jun '11) Feb '15 ron 28
News Deported twice, but back in US again Feb '15 reality is a crutch 1
News Kidnapping and Extortion Bring Massive Revenue ... (Sep '14) Oct '14 Read Brooks Conuty 3
News 'Hit the Right Nerve' Pelosi confronts Gop rep ... (Aug '14) Sep '14 Here Is One 788
More from around the web