Last WWI vet seeks memorial for comrades

Last WWI vet seeks memorial for comrades

There are 37 comments on the CNN story from Sep 9, 2008, titled Last WWI vet seeks memorial for comrades. In it, CNN reports that:

At 107, Frank Buckles must know there is not much time for him to honor the memory of his comrades who served the United States during the first World War.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 9, 2008
Set aside the money and upgrade that memorial. We lost thousands in that war, and they should have a fitting National Memorial as we have for the other wars and significant leaders in our history.

And Congress - lets try to do it poste haste and while our last remaining WWI survivor still lives. Do ya hear me Pelosi and Reid?

Bush - you are a fond user of the Executive order, do something useful for once.

If anyone knows of a foundation or group associated to it, post it so all of American citizens can donate a few bucks. heck - if a couple hundred thousand of us would donate $10, they could have a couple million to do the job right quick.
larry

Aurora, CO

#2 Sep 9, 2008
Maybe we should donate enough money to bush and he well get his corrupted hitler A@@ out of this country

Location hidden

#3 Sep 10, 2008
larry wrote:
Maybe we should donate enough money to bush and he well get his corrupted hitler A@@ out of this country
Yeah - there's a constructive comment - geesh

Hey - in case you aren't up on the Constitution, he's out of here in about 4 months, and he can never run again, so how about we stick to the topic at hand?

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#4 Sep 10, 2008
larry wrote:
Larry, stop being such an emotional liberal.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#5 Sep 10, 2008
Mr. Buckles his a living U.S. Treasure. We should appreciate what this man represents.

“6 of one, 0110 of the other.”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#6 Sep 10, 2008
The effect of its industrialized killing machines was so intense, its memory so powerful that there hasn't been a need for a monument to remind the world. WWI, known then as "The Great War" was a war that no veteran wanted to remember and no nation should forget. It was a flesh-eating, atrocious monster and its memorial would serve future generations well to be as frightening as possible.

“Can't we all get along”

Laurel

#7 Sep 10, 2008
WW1....modern weapons used in outdated strategies, many thanks to Mr. Buckles for his service to this great country.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#8 Sep 10, 2008
SmilingWithDisgust wrote:
WW1....modern weapons used in outdated strategies, many thanks to Mr. Buckles for his service to this great country.
Yes, thankyou Mr Buckles! Salute!

“Can't we all get along”

Laurel

#9 Sep 10, 2008
Wonder what Mr. Buckles thinks about the state of the union these days? 107..bet those eyes have seen a lot.

Location hidden

#10 Sep 10, 2008
Yeah - think about it

Born around 1901

Saw the rise of the automobile and birth of the aircraft industry as a child and teenager, then at 16, lies to fight in WW I. Then the Dpression as a young man, seeing his Gret War eclipsed by WWII as a soon to be forty something, the rise of the Cold War leading into his 50's, the growth of this union by two states (HI and AK), the glory days of the 50's, the advent of the TV, then the 60's as a senior citizen with the Cuba Crisis, JFK's assassination, MLK's assassination, the landing on the moon, and then as a septetarian, watched this country devolve into a sex frenzied 70's with the advent of disco and even wilder drugs than the 60's, the rise of AIDS and Mass Capitalism of the 80's, then the fall of Soviet Union and ending of the Cold War in the 90's as an octagenarian, and then the turn of the century past Y2K and celibrating his 100th birthday as the Internet Market Crash and 9/11.

There's a man that has seen a lot of history, the good and the bad of our society, our amazing technological advances, and our terrible social failures.

This man deserves a memorial monument all his own, so let's get one honoring him and his fallen comrades that does so properly, and make it a National one.

Since: Jan 08

Quantico, VA

#11 Sep 10, 2008
I have always wondered why there was a Vietnam Memorial before there was a WWll memorial, and a WWl memorial. It's so overdue it's shameful. I have absolutely no problem with the Vietnam Memorial, my brother proudly served as a corpsman (medic). The things he saw and experienced haunt him to this day. My Father served in WWll and my Grandfather served in WWl. At last count our family currently has three active duty personnel serving their country. One in the Army, one in the Navy & the one in the Air Force. So memorials, bring 'em on. I just want to know where the Gulf war vets memorial will be because all those fighting men and women DESERVE one as well.

Location hidden

#13 Sep 10, 2008
Barbara WV wrote:
I just want to know where the Gulf war vets memorial will be because all those fighting men and women DESERVE one as well.
Absolutely! And thank your family currently serving from all of us. We appreciate the freedoms they help protect.

Gulf War vets need to be recognized, but let's get the WWI done first, while there is still one vet from that war that can truly appreciate it, and give honor at it for all his comrades.
larry

Denver, CO

#14 Sep 10, 2008
European power is going to take over this America of yours and im going to laugh

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#16 Sep 10, 2008
larry wrote:
European power is going to take over this America of yours and im going to laugh
Not has long as we have soldiers like Mr. Buckles. Please go back to France and have some cheese.
Edwin Fountain

Washington, DC

#17 Sep 21, 2008
I am gratified by these expressions of support for a national World War I Memorial. I and others have recently formed a foundation to advocate and raise funds for restoration of the District of Columbia War Memorial, and for re-dedication of that site as a true national memorial. We are just getting off the ground, but if you would like to contribute, you can send a check to World War I Memorial Foundation, 401 F Street N.W. Room 324, Washington DC 20001, or on-line at www.dcpreservation.org/WWI .
Jill R

Silver Spring, MD

#18 Sep 22, 2008
It'd be great to have a memorial for the armed services folks who fought and died in WWI. But maybe on one side the memorial could quietly state that all those people were wasted on a war whose origins were trumped by individuals seeking selfish gain. So sad that all those fine people died for nothing and their families suffered for nothing.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#19 Sep 22, 2008
Jill R wrote:
It'd be great to have a memorial for the armed services folks who fought and died in WWI. But maybe on one side the memorial could quietly state that all those people were wasted on a war whose origins were trumped by individuals seeking selfish gain. So sad that all those fine people died for nothing and their families suffered for nothing.
To bad you are nothing. Nothing when compared to these great men. Please pick up a history book and turn off your sitcoms. You may learn something.
eric

AOL

#20 Sep 22, 2008
Jill R wrote:
My grandfather fought in World War I and it wasn't for nothing. World War I occurred due to the expansionist intentions of Kaiser Wilhelm's Germany, a danger to the balance of power in Europe and to demnocratic governments everywhere(Germany did have detailed plans for invading the U.S. drawn up in 1897 too).German conservatives liked to encourage the view that the war was pointless after their loss in 1918, but they used this opportunity to encourage isolationism abroad while they rearmed at home.

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#21 Sep 22, 2008
eric wrote:
<quoted text>
My grandfather fought in World War I and it wasn't for nothing. World War I occurred due to the expansionist intentions of Kaiser Wilhelm's Germany, a danger to the balance of power in Europe and to demnocratic governments everywhere(Germany did have detailed plans for invading the U.S. drawn up in 1897 too).German conservatives liked to encourage the view that the war was pointless after their loss in 1918, but they used this opportunity to encourage isolationism abroad while they rearmed at home.
Eric, I salute your Gramps. And do not worry about that other skank, just another troll with nothing better to do.
unanimous

New Egypt, NJ

#22 Oct 18, 2008
i am on both sides of that, the war, all wars are fought over silly disputes. no one can just leave the world alone, its either i want to control the world or i want to make the rest of the world like my country or follow my beliefs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ted Poe Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News US House passes bill allowing 9/11 victims to s... Sep '16 Synque 43
News New law to punish countries for not taking back... Aug '16 Death on 2 Legs 1
News Jamie Leigh Jones Wins the Suzanne McDaniel Pub... (Apr '08) Jun '16 adel ghazi ali 2
News This Bill Could Make More Kids Obese - and No O... (Apr '16) May '16 Three Rounds 2
News Heimlich rescues choking Texas congressman (Jun '13) May '16 Half It All 10
News Kleberg District Attorney Hoping for Stronger B... (Apr '16) Apr '16 wild child 1
News Keystone XL: Not dead yet? (Nov '15) Dec '15 OilRigger 28
More from around the web