U.S.-born children take fight over tuition to court

Nov 3, 2011 Full story: WBIR-TV 178

State governments have been grappling with the question of whether to provide in-state college tuition rates to illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children.

Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#170 Nov 21, 2011
Hoo-else wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me make it simple for you. You misread or lack the comprehension ability to understand the subject matter. Here is the premise of the thread, taken from the introductory sentence, "State governments have been grappling with the question of whether to provide in-state college tuition rates to illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children."
Now how about you debate the subject matter instead of interjecting your own bias?
California's dream act will cost taxpayers 40 million dollars at a time when the state is broke and taxpaying citizens have had to absorb nine tuition hikes in nine years. Dump the dream act and lower the tuition with that 40 mil, IMHO.
It will not only cost the people in CA.40 million they don't have,it will cost the rest of the 49 states(sorry Obama,there are only 50,not 57)because we will have to bail out CA.
Hoo-else

United States

#171 Nov 21, 2011
barry wrote:
<quoted text>apparently you don't know how colleges function financially. if an illegal/undocumented student could come up with
$25k cash [which appears to be the rate for instate students] to pay for his education, that would benifit everyone's cause from the university to the students and even the tax payers.
unless california has some statefunding or loans available to them that is what they would have to do. pay cash. no loans no debt no sallie mae, just cash.
it would help your kid who happened to be attending that school.
now the reality of the situation is that $25k cash is going to be next to impossible so not too many of them will be attending UC.
Are you intentionally oblique or severely limited in logical thought progression?

40 million dollars is being used on all levels of post high school education in the form of instate tuition benefits for illegal aliens. That includes junior colleges, state universities and state colleges. The UC is the premier system of the state, then comes the college system and junior colleges. To enter a JC in California, one must be breathing.

My point remains the same. Sponsoring instate tuition for persons here illegally is a travesty when sons and daughters of taxpaying citizens, who for generations built the schools, are being made to pay unreasonable increases.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#172 Nov 21, 2011
Hoo-else wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me make it simple for you. You misread or lack the comprehension ability to understand the subject matter. Here is the premise of the thread, taken from the introductory sentence, "State governments have been grappling with the question of whether to provide in-state college tuition rates to illegal immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children."
Now how about you debate the subject matter instead of interjecting your own bias?
California's dream act will cost taxpayers 40 million dollars at a time when the state is broke and taxpaying citizens have had to absorb nine tuition hikes in nine years. Dump the dream act and lower the tuition with that 40 mil, IMHO.
right, i misread?
how about the premise of the thread is taken from the title of the thread?

"U.S.-born children take fight over tuition to court"

how about you post the second sentence of the article? oh, that's right you didn't even read the article did you?

"Now a Florida lawsuit is highlighting a rare practice of forbidding U.S.-born students citizens by birth from getting in-state tuition because their parents are illegal immigrants.

Five students, all born in the U.S. to illegal immigrant parents, sued the state last month for denying them in-state tuition rates even though they'd lived in Florida, graduated from state high schools and were entering state colleges and universities. They claim the higher out-of-state rates they were charged either forced them to drop out or take fewer classes, delaying their eventual graduation."

so yes we are talking about citizen children being denied equal access to an education based on the status of their parents.
it will lose as Plyler vs doe is the overriding president.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#173 Nov 21, 2011
Hoo-else wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you intentionally oblique or severely limited in logical thought progression?
40 million dollars is being used on all levels of post high school education in the form of instate tuition benefits for illegal aliens. That includes junior colleges, state universities and state colleges. The UC is the premier system of the state, then comes the college system and junior colleges. To enter a JC in California, one must be breathing.
My point remains the same. Sponsoring instate tuition for persons here illegally is a travesty when sons and daughters of taxpaying citizens, who for generations built the schools, are being made to pay unreasonable increases.
and you continue to prove that you do not know how colleges are financed. that $40 million is a drop in the bucket when compared with the total budget.
do you not even know how instate tuition works? everybody pays the increases if they choose to attend the school.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#174 Nov 21, 2011
Harrisson wrote:
<quoted text>
Not those things, they are the product of criminal activity. Their parents are using the kids as free tickets to the US, so we can't let them get away with it. If anything, the illegal immigrants are responsible for denying their children an education as well as making them criminals. The children of AMERICANs matters in the US, not the children of illegals. Get the F*** out and take your little F*** faces with you!!
oh this is good,
"they are the product of criminal activity."

news alert. sex between illegals is apparently illegal.

talk about the morality police.
Hoo-else

United States

#175 Nov 21, 2011
barry wrote:
<quoted text>right, i misread?
how about the premise of the thread is taken from the title of the thread?
"U.S.-born children take fight over tuition to court"
how about you post the second sentence of the article? oh, that's right you didn't even read the article did you?
"Now a Florida lawsuit is highlighting a rare practice of forbidding U.S.-born students citizens by birth from getting in-state tuition because their parents are illegal immigrants.
Five students, all born in the U.S. to illegal immigrant parents, sued the state last month for denying them in-state tuition rates even though they'd lived in Florida, graduated from state high schools and were entering state colleges and universities. They claim the higher out-of-state rates they were charged either forced them to drop out or take fewer classes, delaying their eventual graduation."
so yes we are talking about citizen children being denied equal access to an education based on the status of their parents.
it will lose as Plyler vs doe is the overriding president.
"US Born" ahhhhhhh, those would be citizens. The explanatory sentence under the title tells all but the most severely limited, the thread is not about anchor babies, which the dream act does not address.

The are students in California and Kansas pursuing lawsuits against their respective states insistence to grant in state tuition to non citizens.

Start a thread to address your bias and stop derailing this one.
Hispanic Causing Panic

West Hills, CA

#176 Nov 21, 2011
College should be free only to Mexicans.
David

Seattle, WA

#177 Nov 21, 2011
Hispanic Causing Panic wrote:
College should be free only to Mexicans.
Like your first class citizens that do this huh?
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/nov/151111-1...
Now,get a life,and obey the law.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#178 Nov 21, 2011
Hoo-else wrote:
<quoted text>
"US Born" ahhhhhhh, those would be citizens. The explanatory sentence under the title tells all but the most severely limited, the thread is not about anchor babies, which the dream act does not address.
The are students in California and Kansas pursuing lawsuits against their respective states insistence to grant in state tuition to non citizens.
Start a thread to address your bias and stop derailing this one.
that's right deny deny deny. can't read can't read and wont read.

the title is clear the second sentence and the rest of the article is clear. but oops you missed that.

now how about that. they are citizens suing their state because thety are being dicriminated against and the state is ignoring the equal protection clause.
Hoo-else

United States

#179 Nov 21, 2011
barry wrote:
<quoted text>and you continue to prove that you do not know how colleges are financed. that $40 million is a drop in the bucket when compared with the total budget.
do you not even know how instate tuition works? everybody pays the increases if they choose to attend the school.
With due respect, I have forgotten more about college funding then you will ever know.

The 40 million would offset the 9% projected increase for the state college system. The tuition has been raised 29% since the start of the 2010-2011 school year.

A cavalier statement like "drop in the bucket" clearly demonstrates your disconnect from reality.

If you believe illegal aliens should have a paid college ride, then pay for them. It should not be incumbent upon any citizen to involuntarily contribute to the education of individuals who have broken our laws to gain special privileges.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#180 Nov 21, 2011
No Children of Illegal Aliens desearve the right to be US Citizens. The 14th Amendment clearly states that the the Children of free Black Slaves would become US Citizens. No Where does it say that Children of Illegal Aliens are US Citizens.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#181 Nov 21, 2011
Hoo-else wrote:
<quoted text>
With due respect, I have forgotten more about college funding then you will ever know.
The 40 million would offset the 9% projected increase for the state college system. The tuition has been raised 29% since the start of the 2010-2011 school year.
A cavalier statement like "drop in the bucket" clearly demonstrates your disconnect from reality.
If you believe illegal aliens should have a paid college ride, then pay for them. It should not be incumbent upon any citizen to involuntarily contribute to the education of individuals who have broken our laws to gain special privileges.
well let's put it this way mister "i forgot more than [that's right, than] you will ever know". i work for a highly respected university here in the south. my wife works for the state school system. i'm involved in the recruiting of students. my wife has to prove #s to justify her budget. believe me i know about college finances. the UC budget is about $2.4 billion. the last time i checked $40 million was for the complete state school system. if it was just for UC it would still be less than 2% of the budget.
now if each illegal student was contributing $25k cash into the system that would be a bonus for the system. what you fail to understand is that the budget stays the same whether those students are in school or not. the state will still spend it's part of the contribution. but the available moneys increase because the student is now contributing to buildings that already exist, to teachers who already are teaching, to maintenance that will have to be performed anyway. for utilities that will be used anyway. no loans, no default. cash on the barrel added above the monies they would have had anyway.. it's as simple as that. everyone benifits.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#182 Nov 21, 2011
Afghan - Iraq Vet wrote:
No Children of Illegal Aliens desearve the right to be US Citizens. The 14th Amendment clearly states that the the Children of free Black Slaves would become US Citizens. No Where does it say that Children of Illegal Aliens are US Citizens.
pleas post your copy of the 14th that contains the words "children" or "free" or "black slaves". it does say "all persons" and "any person" and the supreme court has declared that illegals are still persons.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#183 Nov 21, 2011
Hoo-else wrote:
<quoted text>
oh, and one more thing, who is saying that undocumented students and in the case of this thread citizen children of illegal immigrants should have a paid college ride? that's right, i never said that and i don't recall any sane people on here saying that either.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#184 Nov 22, 2011
Afghan - Iraq Vet wrote:
And what happens to all the children in the US who's parents were undocumented workers for the past 40 years ?
ima

United States

#185 Nov 22, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
And what happens to all the children in the US who's parents were undocumented workers for the past 40 years ?
THIS IS MESSED UP, HUH? YOU CAN THANK THE PARENTS FOR SCREWING THEIR KID'S LIVES AND NOT just once thinking of the consequences for having taken OUR LAWS SO LIGHTLY. ALL NEED TO BE DEPORTED ASAP!!!! including you and your GF & her anchors.
David

Seattle, WA

#186 Nov 22, 2011
Juan wrote:
<quoted text>
Deport them,thats what.
Juan

Pearland, TX

#187 Nov 23, 2011
Many are old enough to sponsor their parents to become citizens.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steve King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indicted Sen. Steve King Collects More Per Diem Sep 9 Richies Cool Man ... 1
Nuns begin 2-week bus tour protesting Republica... (Jun '12) Aug 31 Newland 3
Illegal Alien Confronts Ryan: 'Why [Do] You Wan... Aug 30 Tea Party Supporter 2
Republicans become party of 'Deport 'em All' Aug 30 Tea Party Supporter 17
Rubio's Letter on Immigration Shouldn't Stop Obama Aug 27 Le Jimbo 6
Hundreds of protests planned this weekend acros... Aug 19 Guess Who 216
Steve King uses 2008 conspiracy theory as fundr... Aug 17 Really 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••