Senate GOP sticks together on Medicare

Senate GOP sticks together on Medicare

There are 30 comments on the The Washington Post story from May 25, 2011, titled Senate GOP sticks together on Medicare. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Senate Republicans on Wednesday stood by a GOP plan to transform Medicare, one day after the party lost a conservative House district in Upstate New York amid a strong effort by Democrats to make that proposal the central issue.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#1 May 26, 2011
Does the GOP really think that the public wants Medicare eliminated?

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#2 May 26, 2011
Does the GOP really care what the public wants? If you are wealthy and a major contributor, then you don't matter. When are people going to wake up and see who they really represent? Not the old, young, working class, or middle class. Only the top 1% who can contribute to their campaign funds.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#3 May 26, 2011
Let me correct what I typed, unless you are wealthy and a major contributor to the GOP, you do NOT matter.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#4 May 26, 2011
What the GOP likes to gloss over with their total allegiance to the Ryan Plan is the variety of tax cuts it provides to business and the top 1%: the Plan cuts the top bracket rate from 35% to 25%.

THIS is why we will need to pry the Ryan Plan from the cold, dead hands of Republicans! It savages the poor, and makes the rich richer. Textbook Republican goals!
SGT Ed Schultz

Monroe, LA

#5 May 26, 2011
madamutt and don ho are my DFL lap doggies.
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

#6 May 26, 2011
Oh how much difference a month makes. When Ryan first came out with the GOP plan to destroy medicare, the beltway media couldn't stop talking about the six pack abs, hair, and impressive work out schedule of the heir apparent to the GOP imperial establishment. Now, thanks to Paul Ryan, House Republicans and 40 Republican Senators are now on record as voting to KILL the immensely popular Medicare program to pay for more tax cuts to their corporate and wealthy contributors (& doing so on the backs of the elderly, no less). The NY 26th District race is just the beginning as 6 GOP Senators and 74 some odd House Republican Seats are now extremely vulnerable in 2012. The Democrats only need 24 seats now to retake the House. Thanks to the GOP plan, the majority of those eighty Congressional seats that are up for grabs in 2012 are looking more blue every day!

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#7 May 26, 2011
Liberal Patriot wrote:
Oh how much difference a month makes...
No argument there! But look at the difference only a few years makes -- after all, it was the Republican Party who gave us Medicare Part D. This fabulously expensive plan was written by the pharmaceutical lobby, costing so much that the Bush White House deliberately misled fellow Republicans on the Hill about the total cost so they would still support it.

The same party now wants to end Medicare as we know it, and give seniors paltry vouchers that will more than triple the cost of coverage. What good is a plan with a $1000 deductible to someone who makes $8,000 per year?

At least the top 1% will be even richer!
print more money

Minneapolis, MN

#9 May 26, 2011
jenny623 wrote:
Does the GOP really care what the public wants? If you are wealthy and a major contributor, then you don't matter. When are people going to wake up and see who they really represent? Not the old, young, working class, or middle class. Only the top 1% who can contribute to their campaign funds.
Big, evil industries funded…which party?

Now that election 2010 is over, let’s go back over to OpenSecrets and look at which evil corporations stole our democracy and bought Congress for the Republicans — the RepubliCorp!

First suspect: the military-industrial complex!

•Defense Contractors: 55% Democrat, 44% Republican ($18 million) Oh, really? Well, then, it must have been Wall Street! That’s it: Wall Street bought Congress for the GOP!

•Securities & Investment: 53% Democrat, 46% Republican ($8.2 million) Oh. Well, even if Wall Street as a whole preferred Democrats, it must have been the real bad guys, those risky Hedge funds and exotic investors…

•Hedge Funds: 53% Democrat, 46% Republican ($6.8 million total)

•Venture Capital: 64% Democrat, 40% Republican ($6.4 million)

•Private Equity: 56% Democrat, 43% Republican ($4.6 million)

Huh. Well, then, it must have been the big health insurers and for-profit hospital corporations! They didn’t want reform! I know because I heard President Obama say so at least 64 times!

•HMO/Health services: 58% Democrats, 40% Republicans ($9.4 million)

•Pharmaceutical Manufacturing: 51% Democrats, 48% Republicans ($10.4 million)

•Medical Supply: 57% Democrats, 42% Republicans ($4.4 million)

•Hospitals/Nursing Homes: 63% Democrat, 36% Republican ($14.9 million)

Huh. Well…then it must have been those evil lobbyists that President Obama has been fighting against ever since he got to Washington! That’s it!

•Lobbyists: 65% Democrat, 34% Republican ($23.5 million)

What? You mean all that time I’ve spent watching Keith Olbermann hasn’t taught me any real facts???? You mean my head is now full of garbage and White House propaganda?

For good measure, here are a few industries that did, in fact, support Republicans (although most of them by narrow margins).

•‘Tonsil Thieves‘(Dentists): 37% Democrat, 62% Republican ($5.3 million)

•Health professionals: 48% Democrat, 50% Republican ($55 million)

•Credit/Finance: 48% Democrat, 52% Republican ($5.8 million)

•Commercial Banks: 41% Democrat, 59% Republican ($15.4 million)

•Insurance (Health, life and property): 48% Democrat, 52% Republican ($31.2 million)

•Agribusiness: 41% Democrat, 58% Republican ($40 million) The challenges I see ahead for the new GOP House will be (1) reining in Agribusiness subsidies and (2) forcing banks to live without hope of future bailouts. The first is probably the bigger challenge, at least in the short run.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blo...

correct all you want. you're still an idiot.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#10 May 26, 2011
print more money wrote:
<quoted text>
Big, evil industries funded…which party?
Now that election 2010 is over, let’s go back over to OpenSecrets and look at which evil corporations stole our democracy and bought Congress for the Republicans ...
Your point is both simplistic and invalid. The infusion of campaign dollars does not/did not result in direct correlation with votes on bills. Despite an occasional preponderance of campaign contributions to Democrats, it has been Republican bills and Republican votes that have done the greatest harm to the middle class.

I mean, just how much campaign cash do you think it takes for a Republican to decide to vote in favor of cutting taxes, gutting health and safety regulations, and anti-abortion measures? It takes a LOT more "persuasion" to get a Democrat to even consider supporting such measures -- a MUCH longer row to hoe, to use an agricultural metaphor. You have got to give your enemies more payola than your friends!

Even so, most votes result in party-line adherence -- regardless of campaign cash. Your point is simply not valid.
jus sayin

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 26, 2011
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point blaaaaap.
This is the kind of drivel you've posted 5700 times? You must be the stereotype of the pathetic nerd sitting in his moms basement.
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#12 May 27, 2011
Look at the big picture. Everyone here has missed it. It is called the 'Ryan Plan' because Ryan is the safest Republican for re-election in his district in Wisconsin. He won the last election in his district with 67% of the vote. This is why Ryan was handpicked to promote the Big Plan with his name on it.

Second, the plan, pass or fail, is mostly designed to appease the Tea Party who is hungry to destroy government even if it includes themselves. Republicans know that nothing close to the plan will pass but they can always use it as a badge of honor in 2012 to ask for money and votes.

Three, at only the highest level, Republicans know they are supposed to lose the election to the DEMS in 2012. For the past 30 years-plus, both parties have been trading the White House back and forth every 8 years. Most Americans are so vegetized that they don't even see well established pattern and how both parties are playing them at every angle.

This thread is a perfect example as most are splitting hairs about the issue when, in reality, both parties are simply taking turns urinating on all of you.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#15 May 28, 2011
Nation of Imbeciles wrote:
Look at the big picture... in reality, both parties are simply taking turns urinating on all of you.
See? "Trickle-down" really DOES work!

(:
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#16 May 28, 2011
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>See? "Trickle-down" really DOES work!

(:
And then some......
Hawkshaw

Garfield, MN

#17 May 28, 2011
jenny623 wrote:
Does the GOP really care what the public wants? If you are wealthy and a major contributor, then you don't matter. When are people going to wake up and see who they really represent? Not the old, young, working class, or middle class. Only the top 1% who can contribute to their campaign funds.
Love it when the left uses the phrase "does the GOP really care what the public wants" and then applauds Gov Dayton for vetoing bills that the public wanted...example voter id.
drinK the hivE

Anonymous Proxy

#18 May 28, 2011
Take A Look At This Dude On Medicaid -"PCP"

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss147/clif...

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#19 May 28, 2011
Hawkshaw wrote:
<quoted text>
Love it when the left uses the phrase "does the GOP really care what the public wants" and then applauds Gov Dayton for vetoing bills that the public wanted...example voter id.
"The Public" has NOT been screaming for voter ID -- only Republicans have. Please do NOT conflate the two!
Hawkshaw

Garfield, MN

#20 May 28, 2011
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Public" has NOT been screaming for voter ID -- only Republicans have. Please do NOT conflate the two!
Mark Dayton vetoed a new voter-ID bill in Minnesota because he said it lacked “broad bipartisan legislative support.” Perhaps he should have considered what the people of Minnesota thought rather than his coterie of DFL party hacks in St. Paul. A new poll conducted by Survey USA puts Dayton squarely in the 18% fringe of Minnesota politics: In other words 82% favor voter id.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#21 May 28, 2011
Nation of Imbeciles wrote:
Look at the big picture. Everyone here has missed it. It is called the 'Ryan Plan' because Ryan is the safest Republican for re-election in his district in Wisconsin. He won the last election in his district with 67% of the vote. This is why Ryan was handpicked to promote the Big Plan with his name on it....
Economist Paul Krugman on the Ryan Plan:

"The Ryan plan is, in fact, a self-serving piece of junk. It doesn’t add up — in fact, it would probably make the deficit bigger not smaller. And far from representing some kind of sacrifice of political interests in the service of the greater good, it’s a right-wing wish-list on steroids: sharp tax cuts for corporations and the rich, savage cuts in aid to the poor, and a gratuitous privatization of Medicare. And again, it’s technically incompetent along the way."
Nation of Imbeciles

San Antonio, TX

#22 May 29, 2011
The only defect in your thinking is that you fail to recognize that both parties are doing us in and merely taking turns at the government trough fighting for scraps until we are completely sucked dry.
Madaman wrote:
<quoted text>Your point is both simplistic and invalid. The infusion of campaign dollars does not/did not result in direct correlation with votes on bills. Despite an occasional preponderance of campaign contributions to Democrats, it has been Republican bills and Republican votes that have done the greatest harm to the middle class.

I mean, just how much campaign cash do you think it takes for a Republican to decide to vote in favor of cutting taxes, gutting health and safety regulations, and anti-abortion measures? It takes a LOT more "persuasion" to get a Democrat to even consider supporting such measures -- a MUCH longer row to hoe, to use an agricultural metaphor. You have got to give your enemies more payola than your friends!

Even so, most votes result in party-line adherence -- regardless of campaign cash. Your point is simply not valid.

“Sustainability Now!”

Since: May 08

Vadnais Heights

#23 May 29, 2011
Nation of Imbeciles wrote:
The only defect in your thinking is that you fail to recognize that both parties are doing us in and merely taking turns at the government trough fighting for scraps until we are completely sucked dry.
<quoted text>
Yeah, but one party (Republicans) seems more determined to return to the glory days of feudalism than the other. The Ryan Plan will accelerate our return to being serfs -- leading short & brutal lives ensuring our Masters' comfort.

NO THANKS!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steny Hoyer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gutierrez Hands Out - Do Not Deport Me' Toolkit... (Apr '15) May '17 Rico from East Lo... 15
News What Democrats want in shutdown fight Apr '17 Retribution 9
News Part 2: Double-Transplant Cancer Survivor Ola O... Mar '17 He Name Me Black ... 1
News Trump's Speech to Congress Mixes Bleak Out... Mar '17 Texxy the Indepen... 1
News Obama signs order for federal worker pay raises... (Dec '13) Oct '16 swedenforever 45
News Elijah Cummings, Steny Hoyer among Marylanders ... (Jul '16) Jul '16 noobieR 1
News House passes narrow Zika measure designed to re... (May '16) May '16 Go Blue Forever 10
More from around the web