Obama defends his credibility

Obama defends his credibility

There are 26 comments on the The Reporter story from Dec 8, 2010, titled Obama defends his credibility. In it, The Reporter reports that:

His political credibility on the line, President Barack Obama testily defended his willingness to choose compromise over combat with Republicans on Tuesday, lecturing fellow Democrats not to be "sanctimonious" purists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Buh Bye

Alameda, CA

#1 Dec 8, 2010
Time to pack up your crates and haul bootie! Leave the silver!
bobo

Vacaville, CA

#2 Dec 8, 2010
The President is correct in stating that success is defined by what can be achieved, not by being rigid and blaming. I hope he continues to express the message of "changing that mentality!" I am concerned that many view flexibility and cooperation as weak and hypocritical. Obama is a compassionate human being in the midst of a nation that too often resorts to counter-productive, even violent threats. I will do what I can to support his efforts to move forward, so that at the end of the day we can make a clear decision about what kind of world we want to live in, and what kind of leadership we want.
Right Is Wrong Again

United States

#3 Dec 8, 2010
bobo wrote:
The President is correct in stating that success is defined by what can be achieved, not by being rigid and blaming. I hope he continues to express the message of "changing that mentality!" I am concerned that many view flexibility and cooperation as weak and hypocritical. Obama is a compassionate human being in the midst of a nation that too often resorts to counter-productive, even violent threats. I will do what I can to support his efforts to move forward, so that at the end of the day we can make a clear decision about what kind of world we want to live in, and what kind of leadership we want.
Really? This is moving forward? What Obama has done with this compromise is continue the path of pooling most of the income in this nation to the powerful few. In two years they will have accumulated billions more, while the middle class sucks eggs. What a deal.
After crunching the numbers, the NY Times' David Kocieniewski shows who benefits from this 'deal.'

--"the highest earners"
--"the wealthiest 1 percent of the population"
--"the wealthiest Americans"
--"hedge fund managers and private equity investors"
--"4 million taxpayers with income in the mid- to high six figures"
--"Estates over $5 million"
John

Martinez, CA

#4 Dec 8, 2010
Ayatolla Barack HUSSEIN Obama is the best Republican President the Democrats ever had.
glob

Davis, CA

#5 Dec 8, 2010
Right Is Wrong Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? This is moving forward? What Obama has done with this compromise is continue the path of pooling most of the income in this nation to the powerful few. In two years they will have accumulated billions more, while the middle class sucks eggs. What a deal.
After crunching the numbers, the NY Times' David Kocieniewski shows who benefits from this 'deal.'
--"the highest earners"
--"the wealthiest 1 percent of the population"
--"the wealthiest Americans"
--"hedge fund managers and private equity investors"
--"4 million taxpayers with income in the mid- to high six figures"
--"Estates over $5 million"
Add me to the deal, my wife and I earn in the 120k figure and I will get a rather nice boost from not having my taxes go up.

And what happened to the Democrates claiming for the last ten years that these tax cuts ONLY benefit the rich? Am I now rich? It's another example of political hypocrisis that both sides use, in other words, it's business as usual. Obama hasn't "changed" anything.

The real problem with the current deal is niether party wants to fund these deficit spending ideas. Whatever happened to PAYGO (Democrates)? And it looks like the crazy Republicans are at it again. At least the Republicans have a new set of youngsters coming in that will hopefully end thisa type of crap, the democrates have no hope at all.

Additionally adding another year to unemployment benefits (3 years total, Really?) is a horrible idea for both the taxpayer and the recipient. These folks need to get a job as their job skills are atrophying and their worth is diminishing. Anyone unemployed for two years has adjusted their life around it.

“<3”

Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

#6 Dec 8, 2010
Right Is Wrong Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? This is moving forward? What Obama has done with this compromise is continue the path of pooling most of the income in this nation to the powerful few. In two years they will have accumulated billions more, while the middle class sucks eggs. What a deal.
After crunching the numbers, the NY Times' David Kocieniewski shows who benefits from this 'deal.'
--"the highest earners"
--"the wealthiest 1 percent of the population"
--"the wealthiest Americans"
--"hedge fund managers and private equity investors"
--"4 million taxpayers with income in the mid- to high six figures"
--"Estates over $5 million"
You are speaking ill of YOUR president? Wow, that's a change I didn't see coming from your usual diatribes. Bummer, dude.
Mensa

San Antonio, TX

#7 Dec 8, 2010
Right Is Wrong Again wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? This is moving forward? What Obama has done with this compromise is continue the path of pooling most of the income in this nation to the powerful few. In two years they will have accumulated billions more, while the middle class sucks eggs. What a deal.
After crunching the numbers, the NY Times' David Kocieniewski shows who benefits from this 'deal.'
--"the highest earners"
--"the wealthiest 1 percent of the population"
--"the wealthiest Americans"
--"hedge fund managers and private equity investors"
--"4 million taxpayers with income in the mid- to high six figures"
--"Estates over $5 million"
A few more benefit.

Those that have been unemployed two years and can survive another 13 months.
Family members that inherit a farm or small business, that won't have to sell it to pay the "death" tax.
Employees of small businesses that can keep their job because the boss won't have to lay them off, so he can pay his bills.
Right Is Wrong Again

United States

#8 Dec 8, 2010
Mensa wrote:
<quoted text>
A few more benefit.
Those that have been unemployed two years and can survive another 13 months.
Family members that inherit a farm or small business, that won't have to sell it to pay the "death" tax.
Employees of small businesses that can keep their job because the boss won't have to lay them off, so he can pay his bills.
The unemployed have always been helped in this country in the past, and it's just recently that it's been an issue thanks to heartless conservatives; and now they have used that issue to keep the rich oligarchy happy. That's ridiculous at best considering the cost will be in the hundreds of billions during the next decade. That is about as un-American as you can get.

Small business just got $30 billion in lending programs and $12 billion in tax cuts last September. That's supposed to create jobs but in fact they are sitting on the cash gravy train, so far.

Farmers who have estates worth more than $5 million will benefit, and I don't see that as helping the poor or the middle class. It does help rich farmers, who do not employ a large percentage of people.
William

United States

#9 Dec 8, 2010
Credibility? Hehehe! Gees! Doesn't one have to have an honestly established degree of credibility to begin with... in order to lose it?
William

United States

#10 Dec 8, 2010
bobo wrote:
The President is correct in stating that success is defined by what can be achieved, not by being rigid and blaming. I hope he continues to express the message of "changing that mentality!" I am concerned that many view flexibility and cooperation as weak and hypocritical. Obama is a compassionate human being in the midst of a nation that too often resorts to counter-productive, even violent threats. I will do what I can to support his efforts to move forward, so that at the end of the day we can make a clear decision about what kind of world we want to live in, and what kind of leadership we want.
His car is in his ditch and he doesn't even know what a ditch is, but he'll swear 'til death that he does!
Right Is Wrong Again

United States

#11 Dec 8, 2010
glob wrote:
<quoted text> Add me to the deal, my wife and I earn in the 120k figure and I will get a rather nice boost from not having my taxes go up.
And what happened to the Democrates claiming for the last ten years that these tax cuts ONLY benefit the rich? Am I now rich? It's another example of political hypocrisis that both sides use, in other words, it's business as usual. Obama hasn't "changed" anything.
The real problem with the current deal is niether party wants to fund these deficit spending ideas. Whatever happened to PAYGO (Democrates)? And it looks like the crazy Republicans are at it again. At least the Republicans have a new set of youngsters coming in that will hopefully end thisa type of crap, the democrates have no hope at all.
Additionally adding another year to unemployment benefits (3 years total, Really?) is a horrible idea for both the taxpayer and the recipient. These folks need to get a job as their job skills are atrophying and their worth is diminishing. Anyone unemployed for two years has adjusted their life around it.
The benefits of tax policy during the past three decades has helped the rich more than the poor and the middle classes; that's part of the reason why that 1% of Americans get 25% of the income each year in this country. You can point to many other reasons why the poor and middle class have lost ground on incomes, including the lack of contract bargaining power afforded by union membership, CEO pay skyrocketing vs. line workers, or even the beneficial treatment to the rich oligarchy by Congress from such things as outrageous copyright terms, patent monopolies, and access to the mining and timber resources on public lands for pennies on the dollar, but the bottom line is most of our nation's wealth has been pooing to a select, small group of the population.

It's not hard to see why an unemployed person would say 's c r e w' the system when the system is doing just that to him. As social creatures we measure our situation relative to those around us, and if it's all for some and little for everyone else then the system starts to break down. There's a reason why those nations who have achieved social equality tend to have greater income equality as well.

Christopher Brown, an economist at Arkansas State University, wrote a paper in 2004 affirming that "inequality can exert a significant drag on effective demand." Reducing inequality, he argued, would also reduce consumer debt. Less consumer debt? Does that ring a bell? It should, as many people cite rising debt as one of the catalysts for the meltdown. You can decry unemployment benefits all you want, but logical thinking people don't see that as a detriment to the financial security of a country, in fact deficit spending has long been used as a tactic to put us over the many recessionary humps in the past. But long term deficit spending in the amounts at stake by extending the tax cuts to the 1% who already enjoy 25% of our nation's income is extreme.
Dohh

San Francisco, CA

#12 Dec 8, 2010
Barack Obama is a sell-out. I'm so mad at him. There is no hope for the little guy. Crimewave > here it comes.......After January 1st 2011, even worse.....
Dohh

San Francisco, CA

#13 Dec 8, 2010
John wrote:
Ayatolla Barack HUSSEIN Obama is the best Republican President the Democrats ever had.
You are right about the last part.
Charlie-Ar

Hindsville, AR

#14 Dec 8, 2010
Dohh wrote:
Barack Obama is a sell-out. I'm so mad at him. There is no hope for the little guy. Crimewave > here it comes.......After January 1st 2011, even worse.....
If you would have checked him out before you voted for him, you wouldn't be mad at him now. The proof was all there. Don't make the same mistake in 2012 or you'll just get mad again.

“<3”

Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

#16 Dec 8, 2010
Charlie-Ar wrote:
<quoted text>
If you would have checked him out before you voted for him, you wouldn't be mad at him now. The proof was all there. Don't make the same mistake in 2012 or you'll just get mad again.
LOL!
jonathan

Jupiter, FL

#17 Dec 8, 2010
we all despise you obama! get OUT!

Since: Aug 10

Hilmar, CA

#19 Dec 8, 2010
Wrongo, that 1% of the taxpayers that you hate so much because they are successful and not a taxpayer sucking leech like you are, would that be the same 1% that already pay over 70% of all taxes?

Why not raise their rate to 150% of income, that sounds fair. Oh, and the next step would be to cut school teacher pay in half since it's only a half time jobs anyway.

How do you like that Dicky. We'll take some of your money.
John

Martinez, CA

#20 Dec 8, 2010
Imam Barack HUSSEIN Obama makes Bill Clinton look good and that's hard to do.

If Obama keep these antics up, we're sure to see Sarah Palin facing the Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court at the rostrum on the U.S. Capital steps in January 2013 repeating,

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Imagine a nation with a Republican in the White House, Republicans as the majority of both houses of Congress. Hopefully, no Associate Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court retire before January 2013. We'll have and will be able to keep a majority of conservatives in that government body also.

Wishing and dreaming.
Pappy

Sausalito, CA

#22 Dec 8, 2010
Some are not getting it. With the compromise tax bill Obama has moved to the political center - the place where elections are won.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#23 Dec 8, 2010
lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Steny Hoyer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News House's Steny Hoyer takes a last shot at the to... Apr 8 RustyS 3
News Officer's response in Maryland school shooting ... Mar '18 WTH 5
News Op-Ed Columnist: And Now, the Nancy Pelosi Drama Mar '18 Rev Don Wildmoan 1
News Russia meddling: Democrats want millions for FB... Mar '18 tomin cali 2
News Trump says he's 'like, really smart,' 'a very s... Feb '18 Trump is a joke 908
News Conservatives balk at GOP plan to avert governm... Feb '18 Guest 445
News Members of Haitian community react to Trump's c... Jan '18 spud 380