U.S. carbon tax could halve deficit i...

U.S. carbon tax could halve deficit in 10 years

There are 17 comments on the www.reuters.com story from Oct 3, 2012, titled U.S. carbon tax could halve deficit in 10 years. In it, www.reuters.com reports that:

Imposing a $20 per metric ton carbon tax in the U.S. could reduce the country's budget deficit by 50 percent over the next 10 years, a report by the Congressional Research Service said on Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.reuters.com.

Robert

Douglasville, GA

#1 Oct 3, 2012
I bought an led light bulb yesterday what more do they want. Of course people would change their behavior so it would not bring in as much money as they think. I for one would advance something I will to do anyway which is make my house more efficient at stopping heat transfers, the air conditioner is what ups my bill.

Of course all manufacturers have to do is close down their plants, let their workers go without a job and have their products made in china, go from being a manufacturer to an importer then they would not have to pay the tax, ain't carbon taxes grand.

Sounds like a plan by idiot democrats, you don't punish people for carbon what you do is find ways of rewarding them for cutting carbon. Democrats always forget about the unintended consequences and calculate things in a static environment.
payout

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Oct 3, 2012
maybe reduce the deficit as it will end up being a carbon tax on consumers as any business that has to pay the feds will get the funds by pricing their service/product higher to the consumer.

no matter which route they take as defecit reduction whether a tax on the wage earner directly or a carbon fee for producers that pay the fee from income from their product, the consumer gets it.

one thing that WON'T change for defecit reduction is the rampant runaway spending the govt is so good for. the more they get the more they spend.
Gravediggers

Bakersfield, CA

#3 Oct 3, 2012
Ah, the carbon tax diversion!

How about the raped and murdered amb Chris Stevens?

How about his personal diary indicating his fear of being on AL QAEDA hit list?!

How about the request for additional security in Libya (My God it's 9/11 Anniversary approaching!)and the denial by Obama?!?!

How about Obama taking a WAIT AND SEE approach 90 minutes into the attack on the Libyan embassy and then deciding to ask Libyans to help out?!

How about Obama sending out his minions to deny the terrorist attack!?!?!

How about Obama blaming a film maker instead of terrorist? Have you YET heard OBAMA, not his minions, BUT OBAMA, say it was a TERRORIST ATTACK??!

How about Obama's BEAN BAG vs BULLET edict on our border with Mexico?!?!? ANother Border Agent MURDERED!

No wonder AZ Gov Brewer was waving her finger at Obama on the tarmac!

NO wonder AG Eric Holder harrassed AZ Sheriff Joe about 'racial profiling' and then had to DROP the case because HOLDER DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROOF

What a PATHETIC PRESIDENT!
WHAT A PATHETIC FOREIGN POLICY!
WHAT A PATHETIC line of DEFENSE for those who try to protect our country and risk their lives.

Next Police will have to be patrolling without their guns.

What a pathetic, non-decisive president.
He's voting PRESENT on foreign policy instead of ENSURING AMericans can DEFEND THEMSELVES when ATTACKED in DANGEROUS UNSTABLE REGIONS!

NO in NOvember
NO to OWEbama
NO to FAILED POLICY
Can't apply Social Justice precepts to Foreign Policy and our borders!

Obama is dangerous
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#4 Oct 3, 2012
..as the tax breaks the back of our economy and gives China complete domination of the World Economy.
Justin

Richmond, VA

#5 Oct 3, 2012
No more $1,000 Billion stimulus spending packages and US troop deployments overseas would go a long way in reduces the budget deficits as well. Unfortunately with Obama or Romney, it's a given that we'll have either or maybe even both.
Justin

Richmond, VA

#6 Oct 3, 2012
Question: Who pays energy taxes?
Answer: Middle income home owners.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

#7 Oct 3, 2012
Cut the deficit in half in ten years with a carbon tax. Lessen pollution from fossil fuels. Sounds like an excellent way to go.

What's wrong with a win/win for our nation and our planet?
Ray

Newport, OR

#8 Oct 3, 2012
Global Warming should be a people issue, not a government issue.
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#9 Oct 3, 2012
PooPoo Platter wrote:
Cut the deficit in half in ten years with a carbon tax. Lessen pollution from fossil fuels. Sounds like an excellent way to go.
Watch manufacturing jobs disappear to Asia when you add the carbon tax. We will get more carbon because China cares less than we do and loose more jobs to boot, you need to come up with another idea.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#11 Oct 3, 2012
total unmitigated billshit....

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#12 Oct 3, 2012
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch manufacturing jobs disappear to Asia when you add the carbon tax. We will get more carbon because China cares less than we do and loose more jobs to boot, you need to come up with another idea.
common sense does not work on them, robert...
they have a natural immunity
Justin

Richmond, VA

#13 Oct 3, 2012
Do they seriously think we can implement $1,200 Billion worth of carbon taxes per year?

Because that's the size of the yearly budget deficits we've been running for the past several years and projected forward.

If that's what they're counting on, then we're screwed (fiscally) if someone invents a low emission alternative to fossil fuel powered factories. Wouldn't it be ironic if the federal government had a motive to suppress technology that would reduce carbon consumption and thus reduce total tax receipts?
E Pluribus Unum

Carol Stream, IL

#14 Oct 3, 2012
PooPoo Platter wrote:
watt wrong with the win/wind for yo planet!! it's no our in topix ok Poo!!! wanna go back 2 school again?!;)
E Pluribus Unum

Carol Stream, IL

#15 Oct 3, 2012
Justin wrote:
Question: Who pays energy taxes?
Answer: Middle income home owners.
;-000000h, no- US CARbon bon tax pay by the fat azzzzzzzzz!;-000h, dat math is lbs by pound.com/interesting rate;-000

“Here we go!”

Since: Feb 07

Tampa, FL

#17 Oct 3, 2012
You cant tax a company that goes out of business- carbon or other wise.

“AVAUNCEZ!!”

Since: Aug 07

Eldora Iowa

#18 Oct 4, 2012
I don't see how that can be. You will double the deficit putting the hundreds of thousands of people on welfare and unemployment because carbon taxes put them out of work.

SIR LANCELOT

“I just hate stupid people”

Since: Apr 07

DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

#19 Oct 4, 2012
The coal mines here at home in Southern Illinois are usually pro Democrat, not this year. American Coal company has large signs next to the highway that say: Save Southern Illinois, save American coal mining jobs, Fire Obama.

They know this ass clown gets re-elected thier jobs are going bye bye.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sherwood Boehlert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Latest: Clinton rolls out support from GOP ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 Dee Dee Dee 1
News Republican presidential hopefuls shift stance o... (May '11) Dec '11 litesong 187
News Climate-change imbroglio retold in UMass scient... (Aug '11) Aug '11 LessHypeMoreFact 1
News Tea party seeks Capitol clout after election gains (Nov '10) Nov '10 Le Jimbo 26
News Tea party seeks Capitol clout after election gains (Nov '10) Nov '10 Justin 6
News Jury set for trial of man accused of molesting ... (Nov '10) Nov '10 peterpun 1
News Arcuri hopes to retain seat in 24th against GOP... (Oct '08) Nov '10 Fact 36
More from around the web