Congress addresses Chinese currency manipulation

Oct 1, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Log Cabin Democrat

After years of trying, Congress is taking another stab at retaliating against what many see as Chinese manipulation of its currency to make its exports to the United States cheaper and U.S. exports more expensive.

Comments
1 - 20 of 61 Comments Last updated Oct 3, 2011
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

Moreover, the Obama administration, like the Bush administration before it, doesn't like the bill, saying quiet diplomacy is a better way to influence Chinese policy and warning that overt sanctions could lead to a destructive trade war.
Schumer and others say that's a major reason that some 2 million U.S. jobs have been lost to Chinese competitors in the last decade and that the U.S. trade deficit with China last year hit a record $273 billion, some 43 percent of the entire U.S. trade gap.
Opponents of the bill, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable, whose members do business overseas, paint a different picture. A letter to Senate leaders from more than 50 such groups warned that unilateral action against China would likely result in retaliation against U.S. exports to China, possibly violate World Trade Organization rules and do little to create U.S. jobs because other low-cost manufacturing countries would take up the slack if Chinese goods became more expensive.

Proof our government is bought and corrupted by Wall Street and corporations.

Congress will do NOTHING, just "window dressing".

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

Congress will do absolutely nothing except say they will do something.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

Wall Street Government wrote:
Moreover, the Obama administration, like the Bush administration before it, doesn't like the bill, saying quiet diplomacy is a better way to influence Chinese policy and warning that overt sanctions could lead to a destructive trade war.
Schumer and others say that's a major reason that some 2 million U.S. jobs have been lost to Chinese competitors in the last decade and that the U.S. trade deficit with China last year hit a record $273 billion, some 43 percent of the entire U.S. trade gap.
Opponents of the bill, including the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Business Roundtable, whose members do business overseas, paint a different picture. A letter to Senate leaders from more than 50 such groups warned that unilateral action against China would likely result in retaliation against U.S. exports to China, possibly violate World Trade Organization rules and do little to create U.S. jobs because other low-cost manufacturing countries would take up the slack if Chinese goods became more expensive.
Proof our government is bought and corrupted by Wall Street and corporations.
Congress will do NOTHING, just "window dressing".
your basing this on what schmuckie schumer says???

btw, the unions and the epa had WAY more to do with jobs going to china than currency manipulation...the exodus began in the 80's, LONG before the chinese economy was a force.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
your basing this on what schmuckie schumer says???
btw, the unions and the epa had WAY more to do with jobs going to china than currency manipulation...the exodus began in the 80's, LONG before the chinese economy was a force.
No it had a lot more to do with our trade policies than ANYTHING else which started in earnest with Reagan.
The unions and EPA?
Talking points right out of the American Legislative Exchange Council and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Currency manipulation is a talking point to cover for their inept and corrupt trade practices.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text> No it had a lot more to do with our trade policies than ANYTHING else which started in earnest with Reagan.
The unions and EPA?
Talking points right out of the American Legislative Exchange Council and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
Currency manipulation is a talking point to cover for their inept and corrupt trade practices.
my father's family was in the furniture industry for over 90 years, first in michigan, then in north carolina. the company went from grand rapids to lenoir in the 60's because the unions demands were making it impossible to compete...the company went from production in north carolina to china in the early 90's, because the epa regulations became so oppressive...
the same thing happened with the apparel industry.
we're talking about hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs, nationally.
currency manipulation play no part in any of this.

talking points? i don't think so.
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

We underwent a world wide economic transformation because of globalism. It was not something we could have stopped anymore then we could have stopped the industrial revolution or the high tech revolution we went through. It does require change though. China gladly changed as it benefited them. We did not adapt trying to cling to the America of yesteryear back when we made everything and the rest of the world bought from us. It is not that way anymore and we can not change it, we have to adapt to the new world. It may be part of it but I think it may take more than currency policy to find our way.
Sons of Liberty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
my father's family was in the furniture industry for over 90 years, first in michigan, then in north carolina. the company went from grand rapids to lenoir in the 60's because the unions demands were making it impossible to compete...the company went from production in north carolina to china in the early 90's, because the epa regulations became so oppressive...
I know several companies...and families which have taken their business overseas. This country is taxing and legislating this country into a black hole.

It about a lot more then Made in the USA. As goods are manufactured in other countries, as is the prosperity. This isn't about making product for the USA. If the products are not produced here, the buyers and the prosperity HERE dies as well.

Liberals and Democrats are turning this country into Detroit! Liberals, Democrats, and unions are pretty much the same. They have stamped out everything this country represents are destroying it from the inside out!
Sons of Liberty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

I donated $100k to organizations which aid those who travel for major medical surgeries over the last couple of years.

After watching the liberals stand up, ruin this economy, this country, tell me and others what I owe, threaten to tax me when they themselves are not paying their fair share, obama threaten to drop tax deductions for donations, and on and on,,,,,

After the last couple years of this nonsense, my wife and I said NO MORE! we stopped all donations. Those of us who work 11 hours a day, 6 days a week to provide jobs at the risk of loosing everything we own, all to have people who live off the government demand their fair share. FU!

Obama want's to stop the tax donations for deductions so he can control the people! DONE! Not another free dime for me! If your a pregnant homeless mother who voted for obama you got what you asked for!

Our business is a family; those who own it and those who work here a like! Outside the family will get no more free gifts! Those who stood behind obama, Pelosi, Reed, Dodd, demanding to steal from those who do the work!

When my kids are out of college, if this country is not turned around, we ourselves are going to another country!
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, that happened. B.S. Not once in all the years have I read ANYTHING like that, until this year.
Teabaggers insisted on tax cuts, that will fix everything, when that failed, as usual they had to invent something else to promote the takeover of America by corporations.
Now all you read and hear about on right wing radio, TV and in print is how unions, EPA, immigrants and government regulation are the cause of all our problems 2 or 3 three years ago, not a peep, now an avalanche of anti-worker rights.
Touching story though.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text> Of course, that happened. B.S. Not once in all the years have I read ANYTHING like that, until this year.
Teabaggers insisted on tax cuts, that will fix everything, when that failed, as usual they had to invent something else to promote the takeover of America by corporations.
Now all you read and hear about on right wing radio, TV and in print is how unions, EPA, immigrants and government regulation are the cause of all our problems 2 or 3 three years ago, not a peep, now an avalanche of anti-worker rights.
Touching story though.
hey pal, you have me confused with someone who cares whether or not YOU believe it..
i lived it.

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

Sons of Liberty wrote:
<quoted text>
I know several companies...and families which have taken their business overseas. This country is taxing and legislating this country into a black hole.
It about a lot more then Made in the USA. As goods are manufactured in other countries, as is the prosperity. This isn't about making product for the USA. If the products are not produced here, the buyers and the prosperity HERE dies as well.
Liberals and Democrats are turning this country into Detroit! Liberals, Democrats, and unions are pretty much the same. They have stamped out everything this country represents are destroying it from the inside out!
the left has done a masterful job of disguising the REAL reasons behind a lot of woes. mainly because it was THEIR legislation that caused them...it's pretty obvious from reading the posts here on topix, facts, truth and culpability play no part in the left wing,s "blame game".
Sons of Liberty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
the left has done a masterful job of disguising the REAL reasons behind a lot of woes. mainly because it was THEIR legislation that caused them...it's pretty obvious from reading the posts here on topix, facts, truth and culpability play no part in the left wing,s "blame game".
Most Meth addicts cannot be saved. We have gotten to the point where we see liberals in the same light. Unfortunately, more liberalism produces more liberals and less exceptional ism. the scales are tipping in this country just like a union toppling a company. The light is getting dimmer in this countries and the liberals are cutting the chord that keeps it alive.
asude

Ankara, Turkey

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

hey pal, you have me confused with someone who cares whether or not YOU believe it.http://www.y8room.com

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

Sons of Liberty wrote:
<quoted text>
Most Meth addicts cannot be saved. We have gotten to the point where we see liberals in the same light. Unfortunately, more liberalism produces more liberals and less exceptional ism. the scales are tipping in this country just like a union toppling a company. The light is getting dimmer in this countries and the liberals are cutting the chord that keeps it alive.
here's where we disagree...i believe the scales stopped tipping left after the obamacare debacle, and the country was waking up to who the liberal progressives REALLY are. the country DIDN'T want the bill, told their representatives such. then, in a flurry of blatant lies, intimidation, bribes and arm twisting, the white house managed to barely get it passed, in a VERY questionable fashion. the folks didn't like that, they also grew VERY tired of obama's finger pointing and "not me" rhetoric, and the media's misinformation campaign.
the scales tipped, and are heading back to the right, where the majority of this country resides...
left wing ideologues, like that wall st. lemming have become the vocal minority, and voting minority ...

republicans will win back the white house from the worst president in our history in 2012, probably the senate, and then, they damn well better perform!
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
hey pal, you have me confused with someone who cares whether or not YOU believe it..
i lived it.
So now your fathers family wants to turn around and sell their cheap Chinese furniture back to the American people that made his company prosperous? That's patriotic? No, that's Greed.
Sons of Liberty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

carey529 wrote:
<quoted text>
here's where we disagree...i believe the scales stopped tipping left after the obamacare debacle, and the country was waking up to who the liberal progressives REALLY are. the country DIDN'T want the bill, told their representatives such. then, in a flurry of blatant lies, intimidation, bribes and arm twisting, the white house managed to barely get it passed, in a VERY questionable fashion. the folks didn't like that, they also grew VERY tired of obama's finger pointing and "not me" rhetoric, and the media's misinformation campaign.
the scales tipped, and are heading back to the right, where the majority of this country resides...
left wing ideologues, like that wall st. lemming have become the vocal minority, and voting minority ...
republicans will win back the white house from the worst president in our history in 2012, probably the senate, and then, they damn well better perform!
The problem is it never stops. When FDR implemented his programs, we got FDR sopped but the programs ballooned over timed to failed government atrocities.

the bail outs, obamacare, taking over companies has done nothing but make more people reliant on government which at the same time has made the people of this country inept.

We no doubt will get obama out of office in the next election. A clown could beat obama in the next election but the expansion of government and the amount of people living off government expands with every program.

Even when you stop the cancer which started it, the programs are forever effected. Many of the expansions in the bail out gave states expanded government and when it runs out it requires them to continue the funding.

Hilary's first job as SOS was to go to China. In a video which you can watch on line she says "We are here to re-set relations. We are no longer interested in your human rights violations; we are just interested in loans!"

Many forget Hilary's involvement in Walmart. Walmart used to pride itself in "Made In the USA". When Hillary got on the Walmart board of directors she stopped that program and Walmart began buying ships full for goods from China. Then China funds much of Hilary's election campaign! Now she tells China, Bush had it wrong, we don't care about your human rights, we just want money! Money to expand the government, money to change the fundamentals of this country.

In doing so they have strapped this country with debt we will never be able to pay. The debt the liberals have thrust upon us...not for any purpose other then the expansion of government...will forever tie the hands of this country!

Reverse it? Damage is done. We will get obama out, make a few changes, create a better environment but the massive government, the corruption from massive government, the taxes, regulations,....How much can you undo.

The economy will show signs of life before the elections. As a GOP candidate is nominated, as obama makes a fool of himself in debates, as the elections approach with a clear GOP winner, the economy will begin to get better even before the elections; just like the housing market house of cards fell when it was obvious McCain would not be elected but obama would.

But the life in the market and the economy will be a dim light. The economy is moving off shores; permanently!
Sons of Liberty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text> So now your fathers family wants to turn around and sell their cheap Chinese furniture back to the American people that made his company prosperous? That's patriotic? No, that's Greed.
Greed is you loser liberals forcing this to happen and destroying this country! Moving out of this country is survival!
Sons of Liberty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text> So now your fathers family wants to turn around and sell their cheap Chinese furniture back to the American people that made his company prosperous? That's patriotic? No, that's Greed.
Your definition of greed is when some one is unwilling to GIVE you what you DID NOT EARN!
x-nutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

Judged:

<quoted text> Of course, that happened. B.S. Not once in all the years have I read ANYTHING like that, until this year.
Touching story though.
You sure are good at blaming a loosely knit polical alliance for all the problems in the last decade with a group who's influence is about 18 months old.

I take it your Soros/Moveon. Handlers instructed you to stop using terms like " Bush's fault " and the " NEOCONS fault " plus the Republicans fault and use ONLY Tea Party references.

What's next ? Blaming the Tea Party for The Great Plague or causing the VN War ?

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 1, 2011

wow...
you are pathetic.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sherrod Brown Discussions

Search the Sherrod Brown Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Senate panel backs McDonald to head Veterans Af... Jul 23 Viet Nam Veteran 1
Fda E-Cig Regulations Disappoint Democrats, Che... Apr '14 radiofreeamerica 5
Obama plans to sign stimulus Tuesday (Feb '09) Mar '14 BPT 5
Ohio attorney general taken to Cincinnati hospital Mar '14 americhkin idol 10
When a Job Disappears, So Does the Health Care (Dec '08) Jan '14 Koralle 87
Kasich-FitzGerald 2014 matchup a toss up, new p... (Dec '13) Dec '13 conservative crapola 2
Senate to grill watchdogs on Wall Street commod... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Sterkfontein Swartkrans 1
•••
•••