Elected officials, business leaders team up to keep Continental in Houston

Apr 27, 2010 Full story: Houston Business Journal

U.S. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee vows to keep Continental Airlines in Houston.

Full Story
bigsurprisethere

Scottsdale, AZ

#1 Apr 27, 2010
Give it up, Houstonites. United will never move its corporate HQ out of downtown Chicago. It is a larger city, a major international city, a more central location and has always been headquartered there. The land in downtown Chi-town is just too valuable for them to vacate and move to Houston. I think people working at Continental HQ in Houston should prepare to look for property in the Windy city. United will NEVER move to Hosuton. Thats just the way it is,
Beef Stew

Houston, TX

#2 Apr 28, 2010
UAL received $35 million in incentives from the city of Chicago to move some of its operations into the former Sears Tower. Maybe city or state leaders could put together some financial incentives for the new UniCon Airlines to keep a foothold in Houston.

Ms. Jackson-Lee is just grandstanding for her re-election campaign by feigning outrage over this merger.
CaptJoe

Mckinney, TX

#3 Apr 28, 2010
I think we should merge the name of the 2 airlines. We can take "Continental" out of Continental Airlines and take "Airlines" out of Untied Airlines, combine the airline into one Continental Airlines. Please Continental...teach those yankees how a real airline is runs.
Darthrax

Arlington Heights, IL

#5 Apr 30, 2010
Hey CaptJoe, Continental wasn't a Texas-based airline until Frank Lorenzo dragged it down there. The result was years of company strife and a double-dip in bankruptcy court. Besides, United's CEO (Tilton) is a Big Oil alum (i.e., TEXACO). He's proved to be a real popular guy -- do you wish to take credit for the hatchet job he's performed on United just to get it ready for a merger with Continental? Thanks for nothing, reb!
JetBlast

Anonymous Proxy

#6 Apr 30, 2010
Having Sheila Jackson-Lee on the same side of your issue probably won't help.

Face it, in a merger some one is going to win a little and someone is going to lose a little. Chicago is by far a better-known city for marketing puposes, O'Hare is a household name and much larger transportation hub.

Chicago is also a much more expensive region to live/work in so I can definitely see a lot of work staying in IAH. UA's pilot training center in Denver probably can't accomodate all the additional work, flight attendant training could stay there (IAH) etc. Lots of possibilities and a combined UA/CO will most definitely try to keep Houston politician content.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sheila Jackson-Lee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee defends Obama with bord... Fri wild child 1
No charges: Houston officer shot unarmed black man Jan 4 xxxrayted 202
Sheila Jackson Lee: 'Selfish' for America to de... Nov '14 achyfi 11
Texas gov testifies on child immigration crisis (Jul '14) Aug '14 the Light 18
Texas Gov Testifies On Child Immigration Crisis (Jul '14) Jul '14 Really 37
Barletta attends hearing on undocumented children (Jul '14) Jul '14 Freaklander 1
Sheila Jackson Lee on continuing resolution: 'W... (Oct '13) Oct '13 lolol 4
More from around the web