Will the grown-ups in the tea party s...

Will the grown-ups in the tea party step up?

There are 35 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Mar 28, 2010, titled Will the grown-ups in the tea party step up?. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Let's not pretend anymore that the tea party movement is harmless. The right to protest is one of our cherished American freedoms.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert J G Jackson Sr

Lakewood, CA

#1 Mar 29, 2010
How interesting. Mr. Robinson decries the lack of conservative leadership making statements to tamp down some random acts of iolence on the fringes of the huge general public fight against the President's healthcare law, along with the distasteful, totally partisan, and even unethical process which enacted it into law. At the same time, he gives ample evidence in this article of Republican and Tea Party leaders doing just what he asks for. What really amazes me, though, is Mr. Robinson's lack of memory. Since the 1960's, those on the left of political thought have created all kinds of violence, from the anti war crowd during the Vietnam conflict, who occupied government buildings and Universities, doing untold amounts of damage to public property, to those like the President's friend Bill Ayres and his compatriots who blew up various government buildings without regard to who might get hurt. More recent evidence can be found without looking too hard at the various gatherings of leftists demonstrating for their causes, incluiding the large crowds of violent protesters at G-8 conferences. But now, the left is crying that "They must stop this madness before somebody gets hurt." Sure.
Dode Penrod

AOL

#2 Mar 29, 2010
It appears that Robert J G Jackson Sr has the Tea Bagger mentality down pat. His answer to the request that Tea Baggers stop calling for violence in their demonstations is, apparently, "Well, those on the left of political thought did it back in the 1960s."

“The enemy is in our camp.”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#3 Mar 29, 2010
Dial 1-800-waa-waaa (accesable only on the left).

maddog2008

Since: Sep 08

Albion, NY

#5 Mar 29, 2010
Dode Penrod wrote:
It appears that Robert J G Jackson Sr has the Tea Bagger mentality down pat. His answer to the request that Tea Baggers stop calling for violence in their demonstations is, apparently, "Well, those on the left of political thought did it back in the 1960s.
What didn't you understand when he said "since the 1960's?"I know you liberals only see what you want and put spin on everything you don't like but you are really scraping low on this one. Obama = no hope and all shame
oaxaca

Antigo, WI

#6 Mar 29, 2010
The Tea party is about greedy, selfish, arrogant people, the people that need health are the same people that made the people of the Tea party. The same people that work in their businesses, that can't afford health care, The Administration isn't asking them to give up their money, they are aking them to pay a little taxes, because they have more money. Bush cut their taxes and Obama is putting those rates back in place so they wiil pay their fair share. I would gladly pay a little more taxes so everyone can have health care and I am on retirement social security. To the people that read this, if you can't understand it, I really feel sorry for you, because you don't live in the real world, you live in your own little world.
Les Smith

Corona Del Mar, CA

#7 Mar 29, 2010
What makes you think that ALL "tea party activist's" are from the republican party? What makes you think that anyone other than democrats are resorting to violence or threats of violence? What makes you think that you can dump on people of the United States of America something that the majority of the "people" do not want or need? There has to be something terribly wrong with this bill for the President of the United States of America has to "bribe" members of his own party to make it pass. Everyone in America will pay a lot more for the debacle of the "Left".
Straight Shooter

Rochester, NY

#8 Mar 29, 2010
Where were the Tea Baggers when DumbYa was wasting Billions on Iraq War?
RW Crum

Cerritos, CA

#9 Mar 29, 2010
One of the parts I like about the tea partiers is when they're at anti-health care rallies and they yell "Get you government hands off my Medicare"!

Just who do they think administers Medicare, anyway, Glenn Beck?
TEA

Cedar Hill, MO

#10 Mar 30, 2010
RW Crum wrote:
One of the parts I like about the tea partiers is when they're at anti-health care rallies and they yell "Get you government hands off my Medicare"!
Just who do they think administers Medicare, anyway, Glenn Beck?
If the government would give everyone back every penny they paid into medicare since 1965 I am sure they would buy their own coverage.

Oh wait the government has spent all that money that they have been collecting for the past 45 years on everything else.
Tony

Bradenton, FL

#12 Mar 30, 2010
will the corrupt criminals in the dim-o-cratic party set down........
RW Crum

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Mar 30, 2010
TEA wrote:
<quoted text>
If the government would give everyone back every penny they paid into medicare since 1965 I am sure they would buy their own coverage.
Oh wait the government has spent all that money that they have been collecting for the past 45 years on everything else.
So in other words you don't know what you're talking about?

scorpio3

“Get out of MY country!!”

Since: Feb 10

HopBotton in Pennsyltucky....

#14 Mar 30, 2010
haha You people all sound like little school children ranting and raving.. "IF I can't do it my way I'll take my ball and go home"!!
malclave

Long Beach, CA

#15 Mar 30, 2010
Robinson repeats left-wing lies while making excuses for his comrades; he cries like a little girl that bad things were allegedly said about his political allies, but he (presumably) fully supports actual violence by the left.

He is a perfect example of the partisanship of most so-called "journalists" today.
malclave

Long Beach, CA

#16 Mar 30, 2010
Dode Penrod wrote:
It appears that Robert J G Jackson Sr has the Tea Bagger mentality down pat. His answer to the request that Tea Baggers stop calling for violence in their demonstations is, apparently, "Well, those on the left of political thought did it back in the 1960s."
I notice that you repeatedly use the term "tea bagger". This, of course, is merely a slur used to denigrate your political opponents by reference to a sex act. Is it safe to assume that you're goping to pretend that you're ignorant of what you're saying, or are you going to make the claim that it is perfectly reasonable to paint all liberals as agreeing with Fred Phelps and Ward Churchhill?
malclave

Long Beach, CA

#17 Mar 30, 2010
Straight Shooter wrote:
Barney Frank was in Congress then as he is now.

What's your point, and what does a person's sexual activites have to do with this?
UNALIENABLE

Bethlehem, PA

#18 Mar 30, 2010
This nation, as experience has proved, cannot always remain at peace, and has no right to expect that it always will have wise and humane rulers, sincerely attached to the principles of the Constitution. Wicked men, ambitious of power, with hatred of liberty and contempt of law, may fill the place once occupied by Washington and Lincoln; and if this right is conceded, and the calamities of war again befall us, the dangers to human liberty are frightful to contemplate.... For this, and other equally weighty reasons, they secured the inheritance they had fought to maintain, by incorporating in a written Constitution the safeguards which time had proven were essential to its preservation. Not one of these safeguards can the President or Congress or the Judiciary disturb, except the one concerning the writ of habeas corpus.
Ex Parte Milligan (1866), 71 U.S. 2, 18 L.Ed 281, 297.

"We must make our election between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we run into such debts as that we must be taxed in our meat and in our drink, in our necessities and our comforts, in our labors and our amusements,...our people...must come to labor sixteen hours in the twenty-four, give the earnings of fifteen of these to government,...and have no time to think, no means to call the mismanagers to account; but to be glad to obtain sustenance by hiring ourselves to rivet their chains on the necks of our fellow sufferers...And this is the tendency of all human governments; a departure from principle in one instance becomes a precedent for a second, that second for a third, and so on 'till the bulk of society has been reduced to be mere automations of misery...And the forehorse of this frightful team is public debt; Taxation follows that and, in its train, wretchedness and oppression."- Thomas Jefferson (1823)

For example. If the system be established on basis of Income, and his just proportion on that scale has been already drawn from every one, to step into the field of Consumption, and tax special articles in that, as broadcloth or homespun, wine or whiskey, a coach or a wagon, is doubly taxing the same article. For that portion of Income with which these articles are purchased, having already paid its tax as Income, to pay another tax on the thing it purchased, is paying twice for the same thing; it is an aggrievance on the citizens who use these articles in exoneration of those who do not, contrary to the most sacred of the duties of a government, to do equal and impartial justice to all its citizens.Thomas Jefferson

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive." NOAH WEBSTER
"The sacred rights of property are to be guarded at every point. I call them sacred, because, if they are unprotected, all other rights become worthless or visionary. What is personal liberty, if it does not draw after it the right to enjoy the fruits of our own industry? What is political liberty, if it imparts only perpetual poverty to us and all our posterity? What is the privilege of a vote, if the majority of the hour may sweep away the earnings of our whole lives, to gratify the rapacity of the indolent, the cunning, or the profligate, who are borne into power upon the tide of a temporary popularity?"Judge Joseph Story

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#19 Mar 30, 2010
Les Smith wrote:
What makes you think that ALL "tea party activist's" are from the republican party? What makes you think that anyone other than democrats are resorting to violence or threats of violence? What makes you think that you can dump on people of the United States of America something that the majority of the "people" do not want or need? There has to be something terribly wrong with this bill for the President of the United States of America has to "bribe" members of his own party to make it pass. Everyone in America will pay a lot more for the debacle of the "Left".
Similar clueless majorities also opposed social security and Medicare. When they saw these programs in action, and how they benefitted, their attitudes changed. The same will happen with health care reform.
We elect our representatives not simply to do our bidding, but to use their best judgment in making decisions.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#20 Mar 30, 2010
malclave wrote:
Robinson repeats left-wing lies while making excuses for his comrades; he cries like a little girl that bad things were allegedly said about his political allies, but he (presumably) fully supports actual violence by the left.
He is a perfect example of the partisanship of most so-called "journalists" today.
So where are the left wing militias, sir, madam, or current occupant?
Xobile

Denver, CO

#21 Mar 30, 2010
Straight Shooter wrote:
Chanting "Four more years! Four more years!" and telling anyone who disagreed with them to move to France, of course
malclave

Long Beach, CA

#22 Mar 30, 2010
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>So where are the left wing militias, sir, madam, or current occupant?
They're called "unions".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russ Carnahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Democratic politician goes to jail, now advoc... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Cat74 12
News Democrats Say Federal Budget Cuts Will Hurt Col... (Jan '06) May '15 chris 2
News Pelosi tells grads diplomacy should mark U.S. f... (May '07) Dec '13 Shinichiro Takizawa 2
News Jobless hit with bank fees on benefits (Feb '09) Oct '12 Retired Sargent 16
News Missouri GOP 7-1 map: Cracking Kansas City (Jan '12) Jan '12 Doc 1
News Obama raising with Missouri stimulus beneficiary (Sep '11) Sep '11 Will Dockery 2
News Missouri Congressman Carnahan picked to attend ... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Doc 1
More from around the web