Sen. McCaskill Town Hall: LIVE Covera...

Sen. McCaskill Town Hall: LIVE Coverage at 4:30 p.m.

There are 59 comments on the Fox4KC story from Aug 24, 2009, titled Sen. McCaskill Town Hall: LIVE Coverage at 4:30 p.m.. In it, Fox4KC reports that:

Sen. Claire McCaskill is back in Missouri on Monday, hosting three more forums on health care reform.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox4KC.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dre

Lees Summit, MO

#1 Aug 24, 2009
As a RN in the ED I will be attending this forum with a open mind.
Jurkey

Albany, GA

#2 Aug 24, 2009
I like old Claire. At least she stands her ground and doesn't run an hide like some of them.
Oldtimer

Columbia, MO

#3 Aug 24, 2009
Dre, I hope you're not the Drea of KDHX 88.1 'cause I like that show a lot and appreciate the concerts she has sponsored. I don't want to insult you, whoever you are Dre but I have some strong oppinions on this healthcare issue and #1 is that the industry is just making exorbident PROFIT and needs to be regulated like a utility. In society today humans need water, food, shelter and healthcare in that order. I'm not saying that nurses or even some doctors are paid too much but some are, and the business organizations that now own the industry are just plain charging too much. Suppliers of pharmacuticals, goods and services and the insurance industry are also charging these unconcionable prices as well and thier lobbies are influencial - spreading the money around DC and the state capitols. Psychiatry and it's psychotrophic drugs, as it is currently being practiced by most, should be outlawed with just enough time to wean people off of these harmful or deadly drugs. Each and every one of the 14? psychotrophic drugs needs to be carefully scrutinized before being put back on the market, if at all. Several of these drugs are selling over $10,000,000.00 per day each and causing more harm and death than good.
As far as the current effort at getting everybody covered, it is absolutely necessary and the prevention of waste and excessive charges is one good reason and way. It appears to me that the above industries and some republicans are circulating bulls$%t and hiring stooges to break up these meetings due to conflicts of interest....money.
As we all know, we are spending too much of our personal and collective income on healthcare and it is a major factor to our economy.
Another subject that needs addressing because it will have a major positive effect on healthcare and the economy is the legalization and exploitation of cannabis for medical use and all of the other products that can be made from it. Cloth, rope, twine, canvass, paper products, baskets and woven products, compressed "wood", and FUEL. Did you know that when we mandated ethanol (from corn and soybeans) in fuel, the price of tortillas in Mexico and SA went up 400%? As a result they are cutting and burning the rainforests faster than ever to make farmland.
We had better get this done and focus on the most menacing problem...climate change.
How stupid are we

Macon, MO

#4 Aug 24, 2009
I really think the best solution is to devide the nation and let the red states support themselves and thrive, and let the blue states support them selves and the rest of the free loaders until China or the the red states quit lending them money to survive.!!!!
Oldtimer

Columbia, MO

#5 Aug 24, 2009
Pretty stupid Macon.
wee-weed

United States

#6 Aug 24, 2009
No it's not

Since: Jul 08

Tampa, FL

#7 Aug 24, 2009
How stupid are we wrote:
I really think the best solution is to devide the nation and let the red states support themselves and thrive, and let the blue states support them selves and the rest of the free loaders until China or the the red states quit lending them money to survive.!!!!
By and large, the blue states support the red states as it is.

If your scenario came to fruition, half your paycheck would get sucked up by the state of Missouri to fill the vacuum lost by not having the "blue" state revenue.

Be careful what you wish for.
joe public

United States

#8 Aug 24, 2009
so the people against the health care bill were in the balcony. so that is how she runs her townhall meetings.
when are you all going to tell truth..

Since: Jul 08

Tampa, FL

#10 Aug 24, 2009
The last two posts were in direct response to the poster "How stupid are we" which I must say, is one of the more accurate monikers I've seen.
Doc Pilgram

Lubbock, TX

#11 Aug 24, 2009
I would be more impressed by what Sen. McCaskill has to say if she were subject to the same provisions of health care that she proposes for us. I have never been more suspicious of the national government than now. This issue isn't as much about health care as it is about a veiled power grab. This government really has no Constitutional basis for this intrusive, expensive proposal. One thing is for sure: this bum's rush to pass a bill seemingly nobody has read is not a good thing for the nation.
slick

Lawson, MO

#12 Aug 24, 2009
Doc Pilgram wrote:
I would be more impressed by what Sen. McCaskill has to say if she were subject to the same provisions of health care that she proposes for us. I have never been more suspicious of the national government than now. This issue isn't as much about health care as it is about a veiled power grab. This government really has no Constitutional basis for this intrusive, expensive proposal. One thing is for sure: this bum's rush to pass a bill seemingly nobody has read is not a good thing for the nation.
Perfectly said, I agree 100%. He's trying to ruin us and she's helping.
Wild Bird

Dallas, TX

#13 Aug 25, 2009
slick wrote:
<quoted text> Perfectly said, I agree 100%. He's trying to ruin us and she's helping.
I agree too! Our Country is going to hell, and as far as they care, they can't get it there fast enough!

It seems that they forgot that they are suppose to work for us, not against us!
comoworker

Kansas City, MO

#14 Aug 25, 2009
I know someone who has tried to get life insurance through the "governement" ARMY RESERVE for his wife and that has been a 7 month disaster. IF they can't get that figured out...how will they even fathom getting a Health Care System figured out.
Civil Service Retired

United States

#15 Aug 25, 2009
I do not want a GS-05 in a call center with a check list in front of him/her deciding if I get the treatment I need.
RNC

Kansas City, MO

#16 Aug 25, 2009
I do not believe the government can run healthcare. The government is corrupt. If people think healthcare is bad now; let the government take over. Then they will see bad healthcare. Control our borders, the cost of healthcare will come down. Take care of the more important problems in our society. Healthcare reform is not for now. I do not support public option or any other word for govenment run.
Registered Nurse

Kansas City, MO

#17 Aug 25, 2009
The above statement was written by a nurse not the Republican National Committee. As a nurse, there may be reform needed, but not by the government. Reform will come, but not if government tries to take over. Government is corrupt and nothing in healthcare needs to be changed by the government.
Imma Thinkin

Macon, MO

#18 Aug 25, 2009
I don't know what needs to be done with health care, but it sure isn't working the way it is. I have a 5 year old granddaughter that will never be able to get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. Something has to change, people are in dire need of quality, affordable health care. How many of you have had to pay for a $90 or much higher office call? That is just crazy, considering they see between 4 - 6 patients an hour. That is an average of $400 per hour. Not counting if you are in the hospital, what they charge you for every time they come in the room to see you. And that is before or after they have made their $400 an hour.

And the ones that don't have any health insurance end up going to the hospital and then since they can't afford to even pay for insurance, the hospital charges outlandish prices for stuff and then will take you to court real quick when you don't pay them like they think you should.

We all really do need to get together on this one and figure something out. If we don't it is only going to get worse. And for those of you with health insurance through your employeer, what would you do if you lost your job?

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#19 Aug 25, 2009
The Feds can run a Healthcare System real well. If you doubt it just look at Social Security. they have managed to run it....into the ground.
I have had few dealings with Medicare but before my Mother pased away I had a wonderful introduction into what a screwed up mess it was. I found it much easier to more often than not pay out of my pocket for much of her care rather than deal with the Bull**** that went along with the way things work within that system. what a mess it was.
Yes I have Healthcare and should I loose my job, thats what COBRA is for. However I did once try to use COBRA and found it a mess and wound up taking out a short term Policy on my family until my new Employers Insurance kicked in. My new Employer even reimbursed me for the costs of the short term policy when they found out I had done that.
Oldtimer

Columbia, MO

#20 Aug 25, 2009
God bless you for Thinkin' Imma! You are the only comment on this forum besides mine, since the first one, that is of productive value. Most of the rest are just decietful inflammatory, paranoia inducing crap. PEOPLE, WE MUST HAVE HEALTH CARE REFORM and THE GREED OF ALL RELATED INDUSTRIES IS COSTING US FAR TOO MUCH OF OUR PERSONAL AND GOVERNMENTAL INCOME. These are "for profit" industries which are charging unconciounably amounts while becoming increasingly inefficient. Healthcare can no more police itself than any other industry. Free and open competition will normally keep profits and costs reasonable and prices should go down with higher volume but in the healthcare industry what has happened? Our government is a customer, spending our tax money on healthcare and this is one good reason they are about to legislate reform...they just aren't willing to tell the whole truth including names of those who are colluding (virtual monopolies or cartels) to increase thier profits. They have pointed out some of the problems and I say PLEASE compete with insurors who are a big part of the problem because the more the caregivers charge, the more they can charge...cappiche? understand? comprende? Oui? Da? I know I have gotten a lot better care from the VA than any "for profit" provider - probably because it is government run at the government's expense and thus far more efficient. They want to cure people not prolong thier illness and pain for profit.
You know people, our government and society are so dysfunctional because of counterproductive people like most of those posting here, that the majority of us are probably doomed within the next 50-300 years due to climate change...which we are not able to address due to problems like this. Cooperation before competition or death...this is the consensus of scientists today to paraphrase Stephen Hawkins, one of the most respected. Waste not, Want not...a suggestion from God and Mother Nature that we can no longer afford to refuse. Economy of resources, time and energy, every day, in every way...
I don't care what color your state is, when you come knockin' at my fort of last resort here in the middle you won't be welcome. You or your children or grandchildren will probably die of hunger, thirst, exposure or homicide...
Get real, get simple, get thrifty and if you are going to say something, make it something good (productive).
Any productive comments about healthcare reform?
Oldtimer

Columbia, MO

#21 Aug 25, 2009
By the way...we have plenty of technology to slow climate change enough to dodge the bullet but....? Like virtually all of you....the vast majority is unwilling to even address the issue...the cure really isn't bad at all... wouldn't you like to have lower utility, transportation, and other bills? It is all possible right now but the truth is being hushed or masked by oil, coal, large electric suppliers and others.
Search out residential solar (and wind/water/geothermal) and you'll find that for the investment of a few thousand dollars you could be free of energy bills. Look into electric transportation and "Who Killed the Electric Car" (movie). Buy what you can get now and ride detroit and foreign makers to put state of the art electric technology on the streets NOW. For the moment choose diesel if you can't afford a new vehicle. VW made a diesel Rabbit (Golf) that gets 55mpg and diesel motors are much lower maint, more reliable and last over twice as long as gas...while producing less emissions.
Finally, use the least water, fuel and every other expendable you can. Don't buy things in packaging that you can't recycle. Start growing and cooking as much of your own food as possible. Recreation is good, but make it productive...even reading about productive things is productive. In other words, conserve time too.
If you, or anyone you care about, has "mental health" problems...go to cchr.com and be sure to watch thier movie "Making a Killing". Then seek Pscyhological couneling and/or education...the science of mental health and happiness...be very wary of psychiatrists or psychiatric drugs - even from an MD.
Heads Up Fellow Lemmings!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Russ Carnahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A Democratic politician goes to jail, now advoc... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Cat74 12
News Democrats Say Federal Budget Cuts Will Hurt Col... (Jan '06) May '15 chris 2
News Pelosi tells grads diplomacy should mark U.S. f... (May '07) Dec '13 Shinichiro Takizawa 2
News Jobless hit with bank fees on benefits (Feb '09) Oct '12 Retired Sargent 16
News Missouri GOP 7-1 map: Cracking Kansas City (Jan '12) Jan '12 Doc 1
News Obama raising with Missouri stimulus beneficiary (Sep '11) Sep '11 Will Dockery 2
News Missouri Congressman Carnahan picked to attend ... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Doc 1
More from around the web