Ron Paul on the Verge of Going Third Party?

Jan 12, 2008 Full story: National Ledger 29,297

Rep. Ron Paul's 1988 Libertarian Presidential campaign started with great promise: A former four-term Republican US Congressman running on the ticket of America's third largest party. via National Ledger

Full Story
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29516 Jan 7, 2013
Crazy n Nutty Politics wrote:
HAPYY NEW YEAR TO ALL! EASY, BILL, LORAX, LOCAL, STEVE, IO, JAVY and anyone else I failed to metion.
Love reading the commentary!!!! Keep it up. Hope everyone has a healthy and (hopefully tax free) prosperous New Year!!
~off topix~~ the only good thing I've read is that the downfall of our loss has been the ignoring of the libertarian part of the GOP...Small Govt coupled with FREEDOM!!!.. So next time you pseudo conservatives (NEORINOS <patented word> lol) try to hijack the true meaning of conservatism, YOU WILL LOSE!(big time)
Hope you a$$es learned your lesson!
God Bless and take care in the New Year!:)
Happy New Year to you too, CNP!
I agree with some of what you're saying. I think that, at least on some social issues like gay marriage, the GOP needs to become more libertarian. They need to get softer on immigration, which one can argue is a libertarian issue.(Many libertarians support totally open borders, in fact.) The GOP should also not be itching to go to war with Iran.
However, I don't think that the GOP should adopt all libertarian values. Americans like their Social Security and Medicare, and soon a majority will approve of Obamacare. The GOP should leave that issue alone and focus on other ways to cut the deficit spending, including raising taxes on some people (which they've already agreed to). The GOP may also need to support some gun control, like an assault weapons ban and closing gun show loopholes, contrary to libertarian ideology. I honestly think the GOP needs to become more centrist than libertarian, although probably anything is better than what they are right now.
What area of disagreement provoked you to not vote for Mitt Romney, btw?
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29517 Jan 7, 2013
Just to be straight, I think there need to be a lot of spending cuts as well, not just tax hikes on rich people.

“UNLESS !!!!!!!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#29518 Jan 7, 2013
HAPYY NEW YEAR TO ALL! EASY, BILL, LORAX, LOCAL, STEVE, IO, JAVY and anyone else I failed to metion.
Love reading the commentary!!!! Keep it up. Hope everyone has a healthy and (hopefully tax free) prosperous New Year!!
~off topix~~ the only good thing I've read is that the downfall of our loss has been the ignoring of the libertarian part of the GOP...Small Govt coupled with FREEDOM!!!.. So next time you pseudo conservatives (NEORINOS <patented word> lol) try to hijack the true meaning of conservatism, YOU WILL LOSE!(big time)
Hope you a$$es learned your lesson!
God Bless and take care in the New Year!:)
To you and yours as well!!
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29519 Jan 7, 2013
It's interesting how many Jewish Democrats are at odds with Obama over his pick of Hagel.(Democrats eating THEIR own?) Lanny Davis was offended by Hagel's "Jewish lobby" comment. Ed Koch believes that Obama has stuck it to Israel supporters with his pick. Chuck Schumer has not yet expressed whether or not he will support Hagel, although he probably will come around.
I think Obama feels that he has the support of Jewish-Americans no matter what (which was pretty much proven in the election), so he will do whatever he wants when it comes to how much we support Israel.
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29520 Jan 7, 2013
God I love reading the news..looks like the republicans are eating their own. Neocon warhawks are up in arms about Chuck Hagel. Why do these guys LOVE war so much???..wtf. lmao.
At least McCain likes him..thats when my jaw dropped...I guess a few years as a POW taught him something.(does that stop the guys over at faux...NO..HAHHA)
I never see this on the nature channel..piranhas never eat their own. lol Gotta love it. It's like watching the titanic...only knowing their gonna hit an iceberg.
I think it's more than about loving war, CNP. The GOP is beholden to the Christian right. The Christian right believes that the Jews must control Jerusalem for Jesus to return. I think that is the root of why many Republicans are obsessed with defending Israel at all costs, including going to war.
Crazy n Nutty Politics

Miami Beach, FL

#29521 Jan 7, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with some of what you're saying. I think that, at least on some social issues like gay marriage, the GOP needs to become more libertarian. They need to get softer on immigration, which one can argue is a libertarian issue.(Many libertarians support totally open borders, in fact.) The GOP should also not be itching to go to war with Iran.
However, I don't think that the GOP should adopt all libertarian values. Americans like their Social Security and Medicare, and soon a majority will approve of Obamacare. The GOP should leave that issue alone and focus on other ways to cut the deficit spending, including raising taxes on some people (which they've already agreed to). The GOP may also need to support some gun control, like an assault weapons ban and closing gun show loopholes, contrary to libertarian ideology. I honestly think the GOP needs to become more centrist than libertarian, although probably anything is better than what they are right now.
Glad to read you are well :)..and THANK YOU FOR THE WISHES!! Now then...You know as well as I that they lost MAJOR on social issues. All studies have concluded Americans are Fiscally Conservative and Socially Liberal..(in some part)...What we have to recognize is that we can't force our lifestyle on other peple..and I agree with you..(what the heck do I care if Jill has 2 mommy's or Bob has 2 daddy's lol)
2. On immigration, I'm a small libertarian..in this day and age we need secure borders..(of course we could EASILY fix that with a MASSIVE fines to EMPLOYERS who HIRE illegals):)
3: Easy answer on mitt...FLIP FLOPPER!
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29522 Jan 7, 2013
Eric Dondero, the libertarian (Some would call him a neo-libertarian.) who once worked for Ron Paul, says that the Ron Paul wing of the GOP is dead. Dondero says that libertarians need to be a little more hawkish in order to get the support of the Tea Party. He says that the Tea Party doesn't like the Paulites because of their views on war but that they could cooperate with libertarians who are interested in fighting terrorists, even forgiving their support for drug legalization. Dondero also says that libertarians need to make peace with the Christian right by affirming where libertarians agree with the Christian right, such as not funding abortions with taxpayer dollars even if they're pro-choice. It's an interesting read. Dondero once worked for Ron Paul but severed ties with Paul over some of Paul's views. Dondero claims that Paul hates Israel and supports the Palestinians. He also claims that Paul initially believed 9/11 was an inside job.
Crazy n Nutty Politics

Miami Beach, FL

#29523 Jan 7, 2013
Steve wrote:
It's interesting how many Jewish Democrats are at odds with Obama over his pick of Hagel.(Democrats eating THEIR own?) Lanny Davis was offended by Hagel's "Jewish lobby" comment. Ed Koch believes that Obama has stuck it to Israel supporters with his pick. Chuck Schumer has not yet expressed whether or not he will support Hagel, although he probably will come around.
I think Obama feels that he has the support of Jewish-Americans no matter what (which was pretty much proven in the election), so he will do whatever he wants when it comes to how much we support Israel.
..I somewhat agree..would it matter if he said the "israel lobby"?..I mean he already pissed off the gays.. lol..I don't know but this guy has his credentials..it seems like I said before..the GOP is in self destruction mode because of neocons. hahha
Crazy n Nutty Politics

Miami Beach, FL

#29524 Jan 7, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
almost forgot..NO ONE NEEDS 30 CLIPS TO HUNT!..

WE AGREE
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29525 Jan 7, 2013
Steve wrote:
Eric Dondero, the libertarian (Some would call him a neo-libertarian.) who once worked for Ron Paul, says that the Ron Paul wing of the GOP is dead. Dondero says that libertarians need to be a little more hawkish in order to get the support of the Tea Party. He says that the Tea Party doesn't like the Paulites because of their views on war but that they could cooperate with libertarians who are interested in fighting terrorists, even forgiving their support for drug legalization. Dondero also says that libertarians need to make peace with the Christian right by affirming where libertarians agree with the Christian right, such as not funding abortions with taxpayer dollars even if they're pro-choice. It's an interesting read. Dondero once worked for Ron Paul but severed ties with Paul over some of Paul's views. Dondero claims that Paul hates Israel and supports the Palestinians. He also claims that Paul initially believed 9/11 was an inside job.
BTW, I don't agree with Mr. Dondero, but it's an interesting read in the Washington Times.
Crazy n Nutty Politics

Miami Beach, FL

#29526 Jan 7, 2013
Steve wrote:
Here we have opposing views...you've heard of RINO..DINO..NOW IT'S LINO...

http://www.thelibertarianpatriot.com/2012/04/...

Libertarian in NAME ONLY...!!!! pandering anyone? wanna get votes..lol
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29527 Jan 7, 2013
<quoted text>
WE AGREE
I'm kind of surprised by your agreement there. I thought you were in with the GOA on guns. That's kind of refreshing.
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29528 Jan 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Glad to read you are well :)..and THANK YOU FOR THE WISHES!! Now then...You know as well as I that they lost MAJOR on social issues. All studies have concluded Americans are Fiscally Conservative and Socially Liberal..(in some part)...What we have to recognize is that we can't force our lifestyle on other peple..and I agree with you..(what the heck do I care if Jill has 2 mommy's or Bob has 2 daddy's lol)
2. On immigration, I'm a small libertarian..in this day and age we need secure borders..(of course we could EASILY fix that with a MASSIVE fines to EMPLOYERS who HIRE illegals):)
3: Easy answer on mitt...FLIP FLOPPER!
I agree with you on borders, but we need to do something about the people who've been here in America for a long time. Romney got destroyed among Hispanic voters, likely because of his "self-deportation" comments. More and more Hispanics are voting, so the GOP has to do something wise to cut into the Democrats' lead among them. Also, Asians, who used to be a reliable GOP voting bloc due to their conservative views, have switched to the Dems in the last generation, likely because of immigration and social issues. The GOP would be wise to try to court these voters.
I also agree with you that Americans are fiscally conservative. They want a balanced budget, and they're against wasteful spending. My point was just that I think libertarians tend to go too far when it comes to some fiscal issues. Obviously, we can't go back to the Bush years, though.
Steve

San Francisco, CA

#29529 Jan 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Here we have opposing views...you've heard of RINO..DINO..NOW IT'S LINO...
http://www.thelibertarianpatriot.com/2012/04/...
Libertarian in NAME ONLY...!!!! pandering anyone? wanna get votes..lol
Lol. Well, thanks for responding to my posts. Take care.
Bill R

Ashford, WA

#29530 Jan 8, 2013
<quoted text>
WE AGREE
Not to quibble as I don't believe we need or even want
assault weapons out in hunting season.

Just the same, the 2nd Amendment wasn't about allowing
weapons for duck hunting.
Crazy n Nutty Politics

Miami Beach, FL

#29531 Jan 9, 2013
Bill R wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to quibble as I don't believe we need or even want
assault weapons out in hunting season.
Just the same, the 2nd Amendment wasn't about allowing
weapons for duck hunting.
lol..agreed..btw..they have ducks in Oregon?..

I bet if I go close to Alaska the NRA will say I need to stock a bazzooka to hunt seals. hahahha

God I love you Mr. Bill
Crazy n Nutty Politics

Miami Beach, FL

#29532 Jan 9, 2013
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol. Well, thanks for responding to my posts. Take care.
Don't be a smart ass..that's my job on here...(io not considered)
Bill R

Ashford, WA

#29533 Jan 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I bet if I go close to Alaska the NRA will say I need to stock a bazzooka to hunt seals. hahahha
God I love you Mr. Bill
It is fascinating to discover that the colonies
were voraciously smuggling weapons and ammo as
early as 1774, most of it coming through the West
Indies to avoid British knowing. Literally 1000s
of weapons, including cannons, were smuggled in
thru South Carolina and Connecticut anticipating
the Revolutionary War.
Bill R

Ashford, WA

#29534 Jan 9, 2013
<quoted text>
God I love you Mr. Bill
I'm familiar with Alaska and can say seal hunting
is a tiny "sport" pretty much reserved for native
Alaskans who rely strictly on seafood for their
existence.

Americans inclined to sustain themselves are far
more inclined to fishing (halibut and salmon) or
animals like deer, moose, and bear. I spent 5
days in Soldotna on the Kenai and saw at least 5
moose literally walking thru town in broad daylight.
BTW, I got my king salmon that weighed in at 81
pounds.
UidiotraceamakeW ORLDPEACE

United States

#29535 Jan 9, 2013
Billionaires Dumping Stocks, Economist Knows Why
Monday, 15 Oct 2012 07:52 AM
By Newsmax Wires

Despite the 6.5% stock market rally over the last three months, a handful of billionaires are quietly dumping their American stocks ... and fast.

Warren Buffett, who has been a cheerleader for U.S. stocks for quite some time, is dumping shares at an alarming rate. He recently complained of “disappointing performance” in dyed-in-the-wool American companies like Johnson & Johnson, Procter & Gamble, and Kraft Foods.

In the latest filing for Buffett’s holding company Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett has been drastically reducing his exposure to stocks that depend on consumer purchasing habits. Berkshire sold roughly 19 million shares of Johnson & Johnson, and reduced his overall stake in “consumer product stocks” by 21%. Berkshire Hathaway also sold its entire stake in California-based computer parts supplier Intel.

With 70% of the U.S. economy dependent on consumer spending, Buffett’s apparent lack of faith in these companies’ future prospects is worrisome.

Unfortunately Buffett isn’t alone.

Fellow billionaire John Paulson, who made a fortune betting on the subprime mortgage meltdown, is clearing out of U.S. stocks too. During the second quarter of the year, Paulson’s hedge fund, Paulson & Co., dumped 14 million shares of JPMorgan Chase. The fund also dumped its entire position in discount retailer Family Dollar and consumer-goods maker Sara Lee.

Finally, billionaire George Soros recently sold nearly all of his bank stocks, including shares of JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, and Goldman Sachs. Between the three banks, Soros sold more than a million shares.

So why are these billionaires dumping their shares of U.S. companies?

After all, the stock market is still in the midst of its historic rally. Real estate prices have finally leveled off, and for the first time in five years are actually rising in many locations. And the unemployment rate seems to have stabilized.

It’s very likely that these professional investors are aware of specific research that points toward a massive market correction, as much as 90%.

One such person publishing this research is Robert Wiedemer, an esteemed economist and author of the New York Times best-selling book Aftershock.

Editor’s Note: Wiedemer Gives Proof for His Dire Predictions in This Shocking Interview.

Before you dismiss the possibility of a 90% drop in the stock market as unrealistic, consider Wiedemer’s credentials.

In 2006, Wiedemer and a team of economists accurately predicted the collapse of the U.S. housing market, equity markets, and consumer spending that almost sank the United States. They published their research in the book America’s Bubble Economy.

The book quickly grabbed headlines for its accuracy in predicting what many thought would never happen, and quickly established Wiedemer as a trusted voice.

A columnist at Dow Jones said the book was “one of those rare finds that not only predicted the subprime credit meltdown well in advance, it offered Main Street investors a winning strategy that helped avoid the forty percent losses that followed ...”

The chief investment strategist at Standard & Poor’s said that Wiedemer’s track record “demands our attention.”

Read more: Billionaires Dumping Stocks, Economist Knows Why

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ron Paul Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr wtf 158,783
Pizza Man Cain wants a third party for conserva... (Nov '12) Mon Bee Eff Dee 4
Boehner calls Snowden a traitor (Jun '13) Oct 15 Swedenforever 28
Gay Marriage in Kansas Throws Political Twist Oct 11 allTSfemale 5
U.S. Sen. Rand Paul campaigns for Tillis in Ral... Oct 8 NOLiesNOTillis 2
Rand Paul Blasts Obama on Civil Liberties (Mar '14) Oct 2 Romello 253
Davis surely knew 1998 strip club incident woul... Sep 22 reldeenk 2

Ron Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE