New Jersey lawmakers get ready for bi...

New Jersey lawmakers get ready for big push on gay-marriage bill

There are 27 comments on the Philly.com story from Jan 22, 2012, titled New Jersey lawmakers get ready for big push on gay-marriage bill. In it, Philly.com reports that:

Senate President Stephen Sweeney says he regrets not voting for a same-sex marriage bill in the Senate in 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Philly.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 Jan 23, 2012
Oh, I almost forgot the fat out-of-breath middle aged man claiming gays have a shorter lifespans because of "the aids". I doubt he got the irony of his statements as he himself appeared ready to keel over dead at any moment!!

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#23 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Oh, I almost forgot the fat out-of-breath middle aged man claiming gays have a shorter lifespans because of "the aids". I doubt he got the irony of his statements as he himself appeared ready to keel over dead at any moment!!
He sounded like he already had one foot in the grave.....pathetic POS!!!

Nothing new from the anti-gay side and in Washington, they could very well lose at the ballot box......then maybe the anti-gay side would get it!!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#24 Jan 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
He sounded like he already had one foot in the grave.....pathetic POS!!!
Nothing new from the anti-gay side and in Washington, they could very well lose at the ballot box......then maybe the anti-gay side would get it!!!!
We're going to find out, since they now have the confirmed votes needed to pass this bill!!!

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#26 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
We're going to find out, since they now have the confirmed votes needed to pass this bill!!!
I wonder if after the bill has passed and the Governor signs it, after the 60 days can it go into affect or will it be stayed while those folks are gathering signatures for the ballot fight?

Tawas City, Michigan

#28 Jan 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if after the bill has passed and the Governor signs it, after the 60 days can it go into affect or will it be stayed while those folks are gathering signatures for the ballot fight?
The law doesn't go into effect if anyone file a request for a referendum. If they don't get the necessary number of signatures within 90 days of adjurnment of the normal legislative session, then the law goes into effect. If they get the signatures, it goes on the ballot in November. They need 4% of the number of votes cast for Governor in the last Gubernatorial election- 120,557. This is a fairly high threashhold, but having lived in Washington for a number of years, I can tell you they're very good at getting signatures for these things. They like their referendum system.

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#29 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The law doesn't go into effect if anyone file a request for a referendum. If they don't get the necessary number of signatures within 90 days of adjurnment of the normal legislative session, then the law goes into effect. If they get the signatures, it goes on the ballot in November. They need 4% of the number of votes cast for Governor in the last Gubernatorial election- 120,557. This is a fairly high threashhold, but having lived in Washington for a number of years, I can tell you they're very good at getting signatures for these things. They like their referendum system.
Well, then let's hope they don't get the required signatures and if they do......then it fails!!!

Tawas City, Michigan

#30 Jan 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then let's hope they don't get the required signatures and if they do......then it fails!!!
I just don't see how it fails, not with the normal turnout for a presidential election. The anti-gays couldn't stop Ref-71 even though they had more than DOUBLE the turnout out rate from the anti-gay eastern half of the state than in the metro Seattle area.

I posted more details on that on another thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robert Menendez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What's bribery? The answer is trickier than it ... Oct '17 Pope Closet Emeritus 1
News Speaker Paul Ryan to tour Puerto Rico's hurrica... Oct '17 mr gleeble 13
News Menendez corruption and bribery trial: What to ... Oct '17 tomin cali 1
News These 11 mayors get 6-figure pay from taxpayers... (Aug '17) Aug '17 Realist 2
News As White House defers to Pentagon, Congress mul... (Jun '17) Jun '17 davy 4
News State Department nominee calls for 'robust' res... (May '17) May '17 fingers mcgurke 13
News New Jersey mayor charged with corruption in war... (Mar '17) Apr '17 Aaviles1220 5
More from around the web