New Jersey lawmakers get ready for bi...

New Jersey lawmakers get ready for big push on gay-marriage bill

There are 27 comments on the Philly.com story from Jan 22, 2012, titled New Jersey lawmakers get ready for big push on gay-marriage bill. In it, Philly.com reports that:

Senate President Stephen Sweeney says he regrets not voting for a same-sex marriage bill in the Senate in 2010.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Philly.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Jan 22, 2012
They have the votes to pass the bill, but the big question is do they have the votes to override a Christie veto? Will Christie even bother to veto it, or will he just let it become law without his signature??

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#3 Jan 22, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
They have the votes to pass the bill, but the big question is do they have the votes to override a Christie veto? Will Christie even bother to veto it, or will he just let it become law without his signature??
I guess time will tell.....and hopefully Christie will be on the right side of history in this manner.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jan 22, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess time will tell.....and hopefully Christie will be on the right side of history in this manner.
Hey, a bit off topic, but where's the decision on Prop 8? Work your magic and get the 9th circuit to get off their butts!! We need a decision by the end of the month to make the deadline for the next SCOTUS term.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#5 Jan 22, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, a bit off topic, but where's the decision on Prop 8? Work your magic and get the 9th circuit to get off their butts!! We need a decision by the end of the month to make the deadline for the next SCOTUS term.
I'll do my best.......I'm hoping and praying to hear something any day......key word being "hopeful"!!!

If I had to take a guess on when......I'd say sometime in March......after the SCOTUS deadline, but all of the big groups keep insisting it's back on the fast-track!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Jan 22, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll do my best.......I'm hoping and praying to hear something any day......key word being "hopeful"!!!
If I had to take a guess on when......I'd say sometime in March......after the SCOTUS deadline, but all of the big groups keep insisting it's back on the fast-track!!!
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Guess I'm just getting antsy because there are so many things happening this year. Besides Prop 8, there's the decision on DOMA in the 1st Circuit, legislative votes in WA, NJ, MD, & NH, plus the referendums in NC, MN, ME, and probably WA & MD too. Oh, and some kind of election in November I think......

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#7 Jan 22, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. Guess I'm just getting antsy because there are so many things happening this year. Besides Prop 8, there's the decision on DOMA in the 1st Circuit, legislative votes in WA, NJ, MD, & NH, plus the referendums in NC, MN, ME, and probably WA & MD too. Oh, and some kind of election in November I think......
I'm right there with ya buddy.....trust me, I'd like nothing more than to post the news about Prop 8......but it is just not happening fast enough.......but it will be done, just not as soon as I'd like!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Jan 22, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm right there with ya buddy.....trust me, I'd like nothing more than to post the news about Prop 8......but it is just not happening fast enough.......but it will be done, just not as soon as I'd like!!!
Assuming they rule to overturn Prop 8, I wonder if they will stay their own decision, or make the H8ers apply to Justice Kennedy for an emergency stay? I don't know if there's any precedent for this type of case.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#9 Jan 22, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming they rule to overturn Prop 8, I wonder if they will stay their own decision, or make the H8ers apply to Justice Kennedy for an emergency stay? I don't know if there's any precedent for this type of case.
I believe the 9th is leaning towards upholding Judge Walker's ruling.........and I believe SCOTUS won't hear an appeal.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Jan 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the 9th is leaning towards upholding Judge Walker's ruling.........and I believe SCOTUS won't hear an appeal.
A tend to agree, but do you think a stay will be issued until the SCOTUS decides whether or not to take the case?

My feeling is if the 9th doesn't stay their own decision, and Kennedy doesn't grant an emergency stay request, then that would be a huge signal the SCOTUS wouldn't grant cert.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#11 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
A tend to agree, but do you think a stay will be issued until the SCOTUS decides whether or not to take the case?
My feeling is if the 9th doesn't stay their own decision, and Kennedy doesn't grant an emergency stay request, then that would be a huge signal the SCOTUS wouldn't grant cert.
It wouldn't surprise me......just more delays, but then......if the 9th makes their ruling confined to California.....then maybe not.....but until the proponents get a response from SCOTUS......this won't be done in my opinion.......ugh!!!

I truly believe that SCOTUS doesn't want to take this case up UNLESS the four Justices who would vote against us knows for certain that they have Kennedy......and therefore will just refuse to hear it........but in August, we will have been on this for 2 years.......so, it could be done or it could go on.......in the end, I believe that the proponents are going to lose and then look at all that wasted money from both sides.....another ugh!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Jan 23, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
It wouldn't surprise me......just more delays, but then......if the 9th makes their ruling confined to California.....then maybe not.....but until the proponents get a response from SCOTUS......this won't be done in my opinion.......ugh!!!
I truly believe that SCOTUS doesn't want to take this case up UNLESS the four Justices who would vote against us knows for certain that they have Kennedy......and therefore will just refuse to hear it........but in August, we will have been on this for 2 years.......so, it could be done or it could go on.......in the end, I believe that the proponents are going to lose and then look at all that wasted money from both sides.....another ugh!!!
That's why I'm wondering if the 9th Circuit will not issue a stay of their own ruling as a way to get the SCOTUS to tip their hand.

Since Kennedy is the justice who decides requests for emergency stays for the 9th circuit- and is almost certainly the deciding vote on this case- I'd say if he grants an emergency stay it's an indication he thinks the SCOTUS will take the case.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Jan 23, 2012
Just a reminder-

The Washington Legislature is holding hearings on their marriage equality law today @ 10 am (pst) Watch live at www.tvw.org

I have to watch just to see if the anti-gays have come up with any new arguments, or if they're just recycling the same old lies. Sooner or later you'd think they'd wise up that those arugments don't work anymore- at least not on legislators or courts. Maybe after they lose a couple of referendum votes (Washington? Maine?) then they'll realize they have to try another tactic. I'm just dying to know what that will be.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#14 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why I'm wondering if the 9th Circuit will not issue a stay of their own ruling as a way to get the SCOTUS to tip their hand.
Since Kennedy is the justice who decides requests for emergency stays for the 9th circuit- and is almost certainly the deciding vote on this case- I'd say if he grants an emergency stay it's an indication he thinks the SCOTUS will take the case.
I hope that's not the case, but you make a very compelling point.....ugh:-(

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#15 Jan 23, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Just a reminder-
The Washington Legislature is holding hearings on their marriage equality law today @ 10 am (pst) Watch live at www.tvw.org
I have to watch just to see if the anti-gays have come up with any new arguments, or if they're just recycling the same old lies. Sooner or later you'd think they'd wise up that those arugments don't work anymore- at least not on legislators or courts. Maybe after they lose a couple of referendum votes (Washington? Maine?) then they'll realize they have to try another tactic. I'm just dying to know what that will be.
Thanks for the link.....hopefully, I can watch and learn from them idiots as well!!!

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#16 Jan 23, 2012
Nothing new from the first Pastor on this bill.....same stance.......not surprised!!!

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#17 Jan 23, 2012
Second religious figure gives the same lip service on Procreation, 1000's of year of tradition and it's all about his religious beliefs!!!

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#18 Jan 23, 2012
The last proponent from the Family whatever group......basically made an ultimatum.......if the legislators pass this bill, they will put it on a referendum........I wish them good luck because the last one failed and I believe this one will as well.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#19 Jan 23, 2012
I see that NOM had to make an appearance on this bill and this second group of proponents of this bill have done nothing more than make empty threats and spoke the same rhetoric that hasn't worked!!!!

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#20 Jan 23, 2012
Is this Jennifer Morse for real? To sit there in the Chambers of the Legislative body in Washington and spout what she did is just unbelievable!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Jan 23, 2012
Nothing new from any of the anti-gays. Of course the old nun wins the "Adam & Ever, not Adam & Steve" award. I just knew someone would say it.

The anti-gays will stop demanding a "vote of the people" once they lose a vote or two. Here's hoping that happens this year!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robert Menendez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News We don't need a national Latino museum Sep '16 UruEuWauWau 27
News 'We wired it': Emails suggest Clinton aide stag... Sep '16 YouDidntBuildThat 2
News Supreme Court immigration decision puts 200K N.... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Vet 5
News Menendez: High Court Should Uphold Obama's Immi... (Mar '16) Mar '16 wild child 4
News With Iran nuclear deal in place, key senators l... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Jeff Brightone 1
News Distinguished pols of 2015 (Jan '16) Jan '16 Black Annie 4
News US politicians say arrests of Venezuelans expos... (Nov '15) Nov '15 serfs up 2
More from around the web