Ohio will miss 'pork' funds from Cong...

Ohio will miss 'pork' funds from Congress | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 75 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 3, 2011, titled Ohio will miss 'pork' funds from Congress | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

In the ongoing fight over federal spending, nothing has taken more heat - or faces a greater long-term prospect of extinction - than the earmark.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

12th District Dem

Zanesville, OH

#22 Jul 3, 2011
So one of Pat Tiberi's earmarks was a $300,000 grant for millionaire boxer Buster Douglas and his failed private sector development project ... from the Dispatch 8/16/08:

"Douglas has had other plans for the property over the years, but those all failed. His developer now says they are "very close" to construction on the southern edge of the Olde Towne East neighborhood. The project would include retail businesses and 72 town houses priced between $175,000 and $200,000."

"Very close" has not happened. The lot has code violations and chest-high grass every summer.

Tiberi put a $300K earmark into this failed project back in 2006 -- the money is gone, and nothing has happened. Great job, Pat.
Collilns44

Canal Winchester, OH

#23 Jul 3, 2011
The Federal dole is bankrupt. The dole is dead. Expect more demonstrations and riots like Greece as the 45% that pay no taxes demand their government cheese, despite the defecits.
Same as it ever was

Fort Myers, FL

#24 Jul 3, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
What ever jackass.
The other staple of the tolerant left, insult people if they don't agree with you.
Collilns44

Canal Winchester, OH

#25 Jul 3, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what is "pork?" You could say rebuilding the roads in Ohio are pork. People are so consumed by this notion that all spending is bad it is damaging this country. Yes, we have all heard about the bridge to nowhere and agree that is wasteful spending. Instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water, we should put in place a better system to track it. Plus, do you really think having "no earmarks" will solve the problem? It won't. And until republicans want to talk about raising taxes, leave the 1% alone.
Also, you can either pay me now or pay me more later. If we invest in things like hospitals and tey can provide better care (and preventative care), then it saves us all more in the long run.
Pork = Democrat and Republican Liberals pursuit of the "Great Society" and the "DREAM" of Martin Luther King.
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#26 Jul 3, 2011
Same as it ever was wrote:
<quoted text>
The other staple of the tolerant left, insult people if they don't agree with you.
Signature of the right: lie. If you noticed to the initial post I was responding to you'd understand my post. There is the other person who disagrees with me and we've been having a civil back and forth. So run along since you obviously lack any intellectual capacity, moron.
se ohio

Laura, OH

#27 Jul 3, 2011
With the tax code that is 70,000 pages I think this is the problem. Lets start over with one page. It is called the fair tax. You get to keep all of what you earn. You only pay tax when you spend. Dump the IRS. That would make everyone pay their fair share. With less than half of America paying taxes and over half getting a check from the nanny state. This is the problem. We do not have a taxing problem. We have a spending problem.
Collilns44

Canal Winchester, OH

#28 Jul 3, 2011
ICU wrote:
Pork along with welfare has depleted our financial stability. Something must be cut and we can start with welfare for once.
Need to cut welfare last as riots will result from both government workers who pass out the dole (see Ohio) and welfare recipients (Windsor Terrace; Poindexter Village) who have grown conditioned to recieving it. Remember that 45% pay no taxes and have no concept of economics.
workingdadof7

United States

#29 Jul 3, 2011
carmichael wrote:
<quoted text>
What? Is your house paid for? I see your name is retired. Retarded might be more apropos.
Retired must mean he worked for 6 months, then went on welfare.
herman

Fostoria, OH

#30 Jul 3, 2011
A dining facility at Wright Patterson AFB ?? Now there is a project that benefits a good percentage of the populace.
FINALLY

Groveport, OH

#31 Jul 3, 2011
se ohio wrote:
With the tax code that is 70,000 pages I think this is the problem. Lets start over with one page. It is called the fair tax. You get to keep all of what you earn. You only pay tax when you spend. Dump the IRS. That would make everyone pay their fair share. With less than half of America paying taxes and over half getting a check from the nanny state. This is the problem. We do not have a taxing problem. We have a spending problem.
I like where you are going, but also think that everyone should pay income taxes too. The same rate, no matter who you are, where you live, what you do, how many kids you have,[list the variable],[list the deduction]. Can we all just be Americans on tax day, and all contribute THE SAME?

If we all had to contribute, there may be more interest in the system than in ourselves. Well, maybe just a litte.
Hector

Pataskala, OH

#32 Jul 3, 2011
Thinker wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is it all adds up. Build a museum, a grant to a hospital, everyone has a cause.
If we want to fix our country's financials, everything needs cut. We don't have the money!
Money for the Columbus Arts Museum did or will do a lot for the economy of Central Ohio. What a laugh. How many jobs did this money create and how many mouths were fed? There aren't more approriate projects in Central Ohio that this money could go for? Try food banks for one. Where are the art lovers who are suppose to support projects like the museum? In congress, Murfield Upper Arlington and New Albany?
Black Lion DID-This

United States

#33 Jul 3, 2011
Blinded-by-the-R ight wrote:
<quoted text>
Fiscal responsibility. Perhaps new words for Ohio congress and about time. I don't care whose idea it is but the earmarks had to go.
Black Lion is Responsible for this POST! What a COWARD! I Did Not Post this!

BBTR!
the man child marxist

Doniphan, MO

#34 Jul 3, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
Getting rid of earmarks will push them underground where there is even less accountability. The route to take is to have each earmark have a name associated with it (i.e. Rep X or Sen Y)
"John Boehner, R-West Chester, say in a time of fiscal crisis, earmarks have no place in federal funding." Yeah, who cares about at-risk kids or hospitals Mr. Speaker. Dummy.
I wish reporters would challenge politicians who are against earmarks. Ask them, are they against the earmark that went to Children's Hospital?
This says it all "they account for less than 1 percent of federal discretionary spending." So, in other words all the talk about earmarks is politically motivated and won't do a damn thing for the deficit.
thank you my useful idiot Rahm might hire you and make sure to get your talkingpoints out and I will have ted give you a union made chicken coop
Blinded-By-The-R ight

United States

#35 Jul 3, 2011
the man child marxist wrote:
<quoted text>
thank you my useful idiot Rahm might hire you and make sure to get your talkingpoints out and I will have ted give you a union made chicken coop
"We The People!" Wish you would obtain a proper Education, so your "POSTS" can be more readable, than just Vile Feces Trash Talk!

You are what is WRONG with America Today! Yet I believe in the 1ST Amendment!
Steven Streets

Grove City, OH

#36 Jul 3, 2011
I never saw a reprobate dime of Pork in my tip bag.
Even when NBC TV asked me what i thought of the Coingate scandal.
"I sure didnt get any of those Gold Coins in My bag"

By the way;.. if they had held on to those coins just a little longer it would have tripled the return at auction. That crook had good investment sense. Better than the rest of the state now days
tom the traveler

United States

#37 Jul 3, 2011
retired wrote:
One of the biggest pork programs is allowing tax deductions for home mortgages. Why should the federal government be involved in the decision of people to buy houses rather than use their money elsewhere. Let the market replace government nudging.
Canada does not have the mortgage deduction, and they don't have fannie mae or freddie mac either. Canada has the most vibrant real estate market in the developed world.

Since: Mar 11

Chillicothe, OH

#38 Jul 3, 2011
Many earmarks work this way: We are appropriating $100 million to agency X, and $300,000 of that must go to project Y. Sure some are extra money but much of it is just directing or "earmarking" some of that amount to a specific thing. Now if we get rid of them (say a moratorium for a few years)- money is still doled out to federal agencies - only now that agency gets to direct ALL the money according to its priorities. So, go on, insist on a moratorium and allow the President and his appointees to direct all the money however they choose!

Sen. McConnell (R-Kentucky), was very much against reining in earmarks, as they are one of the few tools that a party that doesn't control the White House can use to control where money goes.

Disallowing earmarks puts enormous power into the hands of the Executive and whoever they appoint to head the various departments of the government.
John Columbus

Hilliard, OH

#39 Jul 3, 2011
When will they get just as agressive in cutting funds for hospitals, schools and all the other nation building projects in Iraq, Afganistan, Pakistan, India, Egypt and on and on and on. Why does everyone have such a problem with nation building projects in the United States
the truth

Doniphan, MO

#40 Jul 3, 2011
Blinded-By-The-Right wrote:
<quoted text>
"We The People!" Wish you would obtain a proper Education, so your "POSTS" can be more readable, than just Vile Feces Trash Talk!
You are what is WRONG with America Today! Yet I believe in the 1ST Amendment!
What the only free speech you believe in is yours and anyone else well you would have the AFL-CIo Nazi SS thugs make for mass graves. ANd for my edication it is far higher than yours loser I own you and play with you just to have fun and love it as it is so easy. also let others see how easy it is to bait of of you marxist radical useful idiots. hope and change LOL
mowerman

Chillicothe, OH

#41 Jul 3, 2011
how is cutting the budget going to put more people back to work?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ralph Regula Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News This Ohio GOP congressman is going to fight the... (Aug '15) Sep '15 Le Jimbo 8
News Century after peak first scaled, Alaska mountai... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Far Away 5
News Silt builds up, threatening local canalboat rides (Jul '08) Jan '13 MAN WHO KNOWS 13
News Senator introduces bill to rename Mount McKinley (Jul '12) Jul '12 blue_zinc 2
News Court bears Seiberling name (Jul '07) Sep '11 Fact straight 6
News Ohio will miss 'pork' funds from Congress (Jul '11) Jul '11 missskeptic 4
News Portman, Stivers lead GOP charge on Hill (Dec '10) Dec '10 Just the Facts 2
More from around the web