Chicago teachers to strike after talk...

Chicago teachers to strike after talks fail

There are 22 comments on the Ledger-Enquirer.com story from Sep 9, 2012, titled Chicago teachers to strike after talks fail. In it, Ledger-Enquirer.com reports that:

"We will be on the line," Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis said after emerging from all-day talks with district negotiators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Ledger-Enquirer.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
AntiMelting

Denver, CO

#1 Sep 9, 2012
All of you are as useless as the president...lower "p." After all, you're from the same cesspool.

You should be stripped of your positions and your pensions "redistributed" to the "poor."

Worthless.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#3 Sep 10, 2012
It is the same all over the country. Teachers are poor, they barely make minimum wage and they have to work almost 9 months every year. During all the vacation days and all summer they work at home grading papers and other stuff. $100K for 9 months is peanuts for all their sacrifices. All they care about when they strike is the little children. If you don't support teachers it means you hate children.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Sep 10, 2012
25th in math and science?
Get out of my face.

“Waytogo”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#5 Sep 10, 2012
Each year CEO,s and other office execs and all other college educated peoples wages go up up up up...Why should a teachers wages not go up and keep up with other college educated jobs?
Teachers have to have 4 year degrees. Yet they make less then any other 4 years degree main line job....
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#6 Sep 10, 2012
RustyS wrote:
It is the same all over the country. Teachers are poor, they barely make minimum wage and they have to work almost 9 months every year. During all the vacation days and all summer they work at home grading papers and other stuff.$100K for 9 months is peanuts for all their sacrifices. All they care about when they strike is the little children. If you don't support teachers it means you hate children.
We donít hate the children, we hate the incompetent teachers who care little for the children and seek exorbitant compensation for a job poorly done.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#7 Sep 10, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
We donít hate the children, we hate the incompetent teachers who care little for the children and seek exorbitant compensation for a job poorly done.
"Exorbitant"???????? ?? Really?????????? Teachers have to have 4 year degrees and keep up each year with more education and have very very hard jobs o do....Yet a desk sitting esy to do job in a office building makes more then a teacher......Teachers should make more then someone who just sits behind a desk.
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#8 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
Each year CEO,s and other office execs and all other college educated peoples wages go up up up up...Why should a teachers wages not go up and keep up with other college educated jobs?
Teachers have to have 4 year degrees. Yet they make less then any other 4 years degree main line job....
CEO's answer to the stockholders who pay their salaries. If the stock holders did not think that the increase was justified they would not give it.

Teachers on the other hand are employed by the tax payers, yet the tax payer cannot hold the teacher accountable for poor performance, as their union negotiates their increases as a whole rather than as an individual.

You are obviously paying the intellectual price for your public school education.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#9 Sep 10, 2012
I my area the average teacher makes 35K per year. The average window teller at a bank makes 35K. Teacher needs a 4 year deree and has to deal wit a classrom of 35-40 kids screaming all day. A bank teller sits behind a counter and just hands out money and does not need any degree.....

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#10 Sep 10, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
CEO's answer to the stockholders who pay their salaries. If the stock holders did not think that the increase was justified they would not give it.
Teachers on the other hand are employed by the tax payers, yet the tax payer cannot hold the teacher accountable for poor performance, as their union negotiates their increases as a whole rather than as an individual.
You are obviously paying the intellectual price for your public school education.
LOL...So you dont get anything do you. Maybe should have paid attention in school. Teachers are not the problem. The HIGHLY PAID supers and schools board people who set the rules are to blame. Do yo bme the soliers if a war fails??? No you blame the Generals and leaders....STOP BLAMIN THE WORKERS FOR THE TOP PAID PEOPLE MISTAKES.....So sick of you GOP type blaming the common person why the rich top paid ones are making things a mess. I ou have a problem with edcation then increase money for schools so they can stop the 35-40 kids per room classes and cut that in half so teachers can teach.. This is not the teachers fault but managements fault. IF YOU SEND ONE SOLDIER INTO A BATLE AGAINT 35-40 PEOPLE AN HE LOSES DO YOU BLAME HIM??????????NO.....SAME THING WITH TEACHERS.
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#11 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...So you dont get anything do you. Maybe should have paid attention in school. Teachers are not the problem. The HIGHLY PAID supers and schools board people who set the rules are to blame. Do yo bme the soliers if a war fails??? No you blame the Generals and leaders....STOP BLAMIN THE WORKERS FOR THE TOP PAID PEOPLE MISTAKES.....So sick of you GOP type blaming the common person why the rich top paid ones are making things a mess. I ou have a problem with edcation then increase money for schools so they can stop the 35-40 kids per room classes and cut that in half so teachers can teach.. This is not the teachers fault but managements fault. IF YOU SEND ONE SOLDIER INTO A BATLE AGAINT 35-40 PEOPLE AN HE LOSES DO YOU BLAME HIM??????????NO.....SAME THING WITH TEACHERS.
The solider does not make the battle plans that are put in place in an effort to win the war.

The teacher is responsible for creating an effective lesson plan to educate their students; a failure to do so is on the teacher not the principle or the school board. Teachers for years have looked for every reason under the sun to excuse their lack of competency in their positions, fighting tooth and nail to avoid any evaluation based on their effectiveness.

BTW the average salary for classroom teachers for the year 2011 was over 54,000, per the government census data.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/t...

Thanks again for demonstrating again that our tax dollars are wasted on our public school educators.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#12 Sep 10, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
The solider does not make the battle plans that are put in place in an effort to win the war.
The teacher is responsible for creating an effective lesson plan to educate their students; a failure to do so is on the teacher not the principle or the school board. Teachers for years have looked for every reason under the sun to excuse their lack of competency in their positions, fighting tooth and nail to avoid any evaluation based on their effectiveness.
BTW the average salary for classroom teachers for the year 2011 was over 54,000, per the government census data.
http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/t...
Thanks again for demonstrating again that our tax dollars are wasted on our public school educators.
Teachers dont make the teaching plan either....Come on try to keep up with facts....You seem very uneducated. Home school???? 54K per year is still way less then most other 4 year degree people make.....Sorry again you dont know a thing of what you write.

The Left Coast

#13 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
I my area the average teacher makes 35K per year. The average window teller at a bank makes 35K. Teacher needs a 4 year deree and has to deal wit a classrom of 35-40 kids screaming all day. A bank teller sits behind a counter and just hands out money and does not need any degree.....
Seriously? 5 seconds and I found the average teacher in MN made $50K in 2009! Plus benefits. Now this $50K is for 9 months work, minus, all the school vacation and holiday breaks. MN has 180 teaching days. That comes to $40/hour plus benefits. There are millions of people with 4 year degrees. If the bank teller has a 4 year degree should they get $40/hr? So, the AVERGE teacher in MN makes $40/hr.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#14 Sep 10, 2012
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? 5 seconds and I found the average teacher in MN made $50K in 2009! Plus benefits. Now this $50K is for 9 months work, minus, all the school vacation and holiday breaks. MN has 180 teaching days. That comes to $40/hour plus benefits. There are millions of people with 4 year degrees. If the bank teller has a 4 year degree should they get $40/hr? So, the AVERGE teacher in MN makes $40/hr.
LOL...Nice I did not say average moron. Pleas etry to keep up. I said in my area. MY AREA.....Which is on the lowest side of pay. Most teachers in my "AREA" make under 40K per year. Oh and stop the lie crap they only work 9 months. They work more like 10-11 months a year if you count continueing education they do during summer. But hey just spew the FAR RIGHT NAZI GOP line of lets make teachers make less so the rich have more money.....Most teachers get to school 1-2 hours before the kids and stay 1-2 hours after the kids leave an dthen they go home and grade papers and work on next days class projects....YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR TALIING ABOUT SO SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND LET EDUCATED PEOPLE TALK MORON.....
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#15 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers dont make the teaching plan either....Come on try to keep up with facts....You seem very uneducated. Home school???? 54K per year is still way less then most other 4 year degree people make.....Sorry again you dont know a thing of what you write.
Like how I clearly disputed your claims with real facts and then you counter with more of your unqualified opinions. Now that your 34k lie no longer flies, your argument is now that at 20K more than your first unsubstantiated statement is still not enough.

The classroom teacher does in fact create their lesson plan from a template usually supplied by the school. But the fact remains that they create the individual lesson plan for their class.

Given your poor syntax and grammar it would not surprise me if you were one of the abysmal teachers failing our children all the while claiming that you deserve more money. Then again I donít think even the failing public school system could find a position for an individual so failed by the education that they did not provide.
Aphelion

Satellite Beach, FL

#16 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...Nice I did not say average moron. Pleas etry to keep up. I said in my area. MY AREA.....Which is on the lowest side of pay. Most teachers in my "AREA" make under 40K per year. Oh and stop the lie crap they only work 9 months. They work more like 10-11 months a year if you count continueing education they do during summer. But hey just spew the FAR RIGHT NAZI GOP line of lets make teachers make less so the rich have more money.....Most teachers get to school 1-2 hours before the kids and stay 1-2 hours after the kids leave an dthen they go home and grade papers and work on next days class projects....YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT YOUR TALIING ABOUT SO SIT DOWN SHUT UP AND LET EDUCATED PEOPLE TALK MORON.....
Still no validation for your salary claims? Guess we just have to chock it up to your public school uneducated opinion.

If we just let the educated people talk where will you go while this occurs?

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#17 Sep 10, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
Like how I clearly disputed your claims with real facts and then you counter with more of your unqualified opinions. Now that your 34k lie no longer flies, your argument is now that at 20K more than your first unsubstantiated statement is still not enough.
The classroom teacher does in fact create their lesson plan from a template usually supplied by the school. But the fact remains that they create the individual lesson plan for their class.
Given your poor syntax and grammar it would not surprise me if you were one of the abysmal teachers failing our children all the while claiming that you deserve more money. Then again I donít think even the failing public school system could find a position for an individual so failed by the education that they did not provide.
You are a child who has not one idea of how things work. A teacher takes a curriculum the school board gets told to teach from the government....THAT IS FACT MORON.....Teachers dont choose what to teach only set up daily ways to teach it. Now take a teacher in one side of town by all the rich houses and she will do great and now take same teacher and put her in the slum side of town school and she might fail...HOW IS THAT HER FAULT.....Schools are failing because we spend about half what we should on them. CLASS SIZES ARE TWCI AS BIG AS THEY SHOULD BE..........

MY 34 K IS FACT..........I SAID IN MY AREA TH AVERAGE.....MY AREA MY AREA....I mean my town my county. Which is a smaller town in a poorer region of state....GOSH PLEASE TRY TO KEEP UP MORON.......
serfs up

Melbourne, FL

#19 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
You have your points. But when we went to a universal equality system from a partial God fearing nation in the late 60's/early 70's everything changed. Stay at home Mom's were villified and shouted to the masses as slaves. Still are. Now of course we have damn near half the kids in america in single parent families with up to 80% in inner city neighborhoods and in two parent families both needing to work from the high taxation. We are a more self centered culture that finds doing much more work then we have to in our personal lives a bother. When most people were in the same rhythem it meant that inside the house(your own family) and outside the house(other families) doing those things were easier, for all were in the same direction. There was a common goal. That was the real "forward". Now it is distorted. You need a scorecard with all of the groups and what we call rights. Don't worry, two gay pparents will save the day from those stupid homemaker mpothers who are just barefoot and pregnant. Especially now that we are taxed to near the ends of what civilized cultures keep the peace at. Thank gaia for that.
Aphelion

Kissimmee, FL

#21 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a child who has not one idea of how things work. A teacher takes a curriculum the school board gets told to teach from the government....THAT IS FACT MORON.....Teachers dont choose what to teach only set up daily ways to teach it. Now take a teacher in one side of town by all the rich houses and she will do great and now take same teacher and put her in the slum side of town school and she might fail...HOW IS THAT HER FAULT.....Schools are failing because we spend about half what we should on them. CLASS SIZES ARE TWCI AS BIG AS THEY SHOULD BE..........
MY 34 K IS FACT..........I SAID IN MY AREA TH AVERAGE.....MY AREA MY AREA....I mean my town my county. Which is a smaller town in a poorer region of state....GOSH PLEASE TRY TO KEEP UP MORON.......
So to recap. Just as I stated the teacher is supplied with a template for the teaching plan and then create their plan from this template. You are correct they do not choose the subject matter but they do create the plan to implement the subject. Just as I stated moron.

Now youíre complaining that your teachers get paid less than the national average because you live in a depressed area. To top this off you claim that teachers could do a better job if only they were paid more. This is the reality of the word idiot. An individual will perform at the same level regardless of what they are paid. This is something called work ethic Ö an unknown personal trait to the left.

“Waytogo”

Location hidden

#22 Sep 10, 2012
Aphelion wrote:
<quoted text>
So to recap. Just as I stated the teacher is supplied with a template for the teaching plan and then create their plan from this template. You are correct they do not choose the subject matter but they do create the plan to implement the subject. Just as I stated moron.
Now youíre complaining that your teachers get paid less than the national average because you live in a depressed area. To top this off you claim that teachers could do a better job if only they were paid more. This is the reality of the word idiot. An individual will perform at the same level regardless of what they are paid. This is something called work ethic Ö an unknown personal trait to the left.
Ok so now your going way off the deep end and not making any sense to us sane people....TEACHERS GET HANDED A GENERALIZED PLAN.....Now that plan will work for the AVERAGE kids but for slower learners or kids with a slight mental disorder it wont work not matter what the teacher does. OH AND 35-40 kids per class room I dont care how GREAT A TEACHER OR PLAN good chunck of those kids will fall behind do to teacher not having enough time with each kid...THAT IS FACT YOUR LIES WONT CHANGE......

Nothing you haves stated is close to the real fact of the matter.....that is this....CLASSROOM SIZES ARE DOUBLE WHAT THEY SHOULD BE AND TEACHERS HAVE 4 YEAR DEGREES AND MAKE LESS THEN OTHER PEOPLE WITH 4 YEARS DEGREES IN OTHER FIELDS. Also if we stopped paying the supers and front office people twice what there worth we would have enough money to educate kids....THIS PROBLEM STARTS AT THE TOP....Stop blaming the teachers fro the school boards and governmenst faults......SO SICK OF YOU FAR RIGHTERS BLAMING THE WORKERS AND WORKINGCLASS FOR WHAT YOUR GODS THE RICH DO.

The Left Coast

#23 Sep 10, 2012
ToManyLaws represents the true old union teacher. We need more money to educate children, however, the majority must go to pay me more. The working class is tired of more taxes to pay for teachers who already make $40-$85/hr plus benefits. 4 year degrees are a dime a dozen today. The very last thing he wants to see is someone looking up actual facts. It does explain his personal attacks. Most teachers do a great job and are very well paid for it. Fresh out of school first time teachers donít make lots of money, neither does any other brand new professional. When you look at a $40/hr average in MN, that means the new staff is making less than that. Guys like ToMany make far more. If teachers like him came forward and said Iím making $90K plus benefits and need more, they would not get the salary sympathy they rely on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rahm Emanuel Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Chicago's population decline continues for the ... 1 hr Well Duh 2
News Morning Spin: Preckwinkle says she'll run for r... May 23 Yes But 2
News Black Lives Matter* (Oct '15) May 22 weh 2,005
News Lobbyist pleads guilty to federal corruption ch... (Dec '13) May 16 Cabbage Memory 71
News After being booed at Chicago State, Rauner says... May 12 fingers mcgurke 1
News Bank of America to anchor planned skyscraper al... May 8 Bill Martin 1
News New ID Cards Issued To Illegal Aliens So They C... May 4 spud 76
More from around the web