Hayden Says CIA Videotapes Destroyed

Hayden Says CIA Videotapes Destroyed

There are 63 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Hayden Says CIA Videotapes Destroyed. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The CIA videotaped its interrogations of two top terror suspects in 2002 and destroyed the tapes three years later out of fear they would leak to the public and compromise the identities of U.S. questioners, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Rsk

Chicago, IL

#2 Dec 11, 2007
The America I love doesn't torture people.
GMS River Forest

United States

#3 Dec 11, 2007
OK so they waterboarded some dogs who would stop at nothing to kill our service personnel, coalition forces, and innocent civilians. Does the end justify the means in this case-YOU BET IT DOES. Give me a hose and I will find another spot to put the water in to make these swine talk.
Get with it citizens and ACLU folk who are questioning the tactics necessary to protect your a.. in this country. ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR.
Nick-Chicago

United States

#4 Dec 11, 2007
Rsk wrote:
The America I love doesn't torture people.
You wouldn`t say that if another 9/11
happens as a result of our govt was unable to gather information.What does the enemy do to our guy`s in their custody?I wood think it`s a lot worse than waterboarding.We need to keep America safe.What other method would you suggest in gather important information.The America we all love better go back to WW II methods in gathering and reporting on Americas safety.Enough said!
Streetclown

Eustis, FL

#5 Dec 11, 2007
I can not wait until all the left thinking citizens get their way and the United States becomes chaos. I for one can protect myself and survive what lies down the road!
Good luck to those who hug each other and sing kumbya!
Bob

Hackensack, NJ

#6 Dec 11, 2007
So why doesn't the story report that the senior govt officials who knew of the methods included the likes of Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats?? Hillary?? Hold the feet of these hypocrites to the fire for their expedient political positions -- the latest, forgetting PayGo for AMT reform.

Since: Nov 07

Hinsdale, IL

#7 Dec 11, 2007
The blame Anerica first crowd and left winger apologists will be the first to cry out if we're attacked by terrorists, whether home grown or islamists.

I for one, fully support any necessary means to extract information from anyone who is out to destroy our country. I do not hear these groups protesting when our enemies (yes, we have plenty of them, mostly in the middle east) slice the heads off of innocent people, lash rape victims in the public square or squash the basic human rights of people.

I want to remind the apologists that we have been in a defacto state of war with islam since November 4, 1979. This war will not end until one of us are destroyed and I want our country to do everything in its power to keep us safe.
jle

Glen Ellyn, IL

#8 Dec 11, 2007
The word is getting out now that Bush saw the torture tapes, and that the White House specifically authorized the torture. Of course, in today's America, that's just fine and dandy, right? Go back to watching Dancing With the Stars, everyone. Nothing to see here.
Andrew

United States

#9 Dec 11, 2007
I don't see why you cant take these guys water boarding. Sounds like fun, and they are on an island. They'd get to work on their tans. I'd talk, but I'd talk if they bought me a drink.
Andrew

United States

#10 Dec 11, 2007
Rsk, The comfy chair and soft pillow technique were not as effective.

“Black souls wear white shirts”

Since: Sep 07

Vienna, VA

#11 Dec 11, 2007
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security -- Benjamin Franklin

Since: Dec 07

Alviso, CA

#12 Dec 11, 2007
We, as a country torture and will continue to do so. It is what has to be done. The difference is that now you know about it when really you shouldn't. You don't need to know every facet of the governments plans or how these plans are accomplished. "Need to know" isn't just a saying. It is a way of keeping those of you who don't want to know, or those who don't have the disposition to handle it from the truth. Just because something is the truth doesn't mean everyone has to know it. This is something the press would do well to remember. Things sometimes have to be done, it may not be pretty, it may not be right, but there are times where it is necessary. That said, since you now know about it, you can now have an opinion on it. You can also be sad, scared, appalled, etc. You do have that right. You have that right because we did what we had to do to preserve the freedom you believe comes from just living in this country. You have that right because we committed sins against our fellow human beings to get the information that allowed us to preserve those rights. Each and every day, there is a new "end of the world", and each day we fight. You will likely never hear of it and you won't care so long as you are allowed to live your life in comfort. I don't begrudge you this comfort, in fact I envy it. I will never sleep a full night without waking up crying. I will never go a full day with my son without thinking of others sons who died at my hands. I accepted that when I chose to join the military, I accepted that when I decided that these things had to be done for you, in spite of what you would have wanted from the comfort of your home. The sacrifices made in battle and in the dark rooms in which torture was applied were not just the enemies sacrifice, but ours as well. We became the monsters that you will cry out against so that you can be free. We made the world a better place, a place we can never fit in. So, yes you learned a few secrets that outraged you. Yes the government doesn't tell you certain things. You will get over it and in time you will forget that the truth is each day a few of us will commit the gravest sins to ensure your freedom to hate us.
Kate

Orange, CA

#14 Dec 11, 2007
BTW - I am sure Jon Burge and his cohorts thought they were protecting the public as well.
Erik Ronneberg

Orland Park, IL

#15 Dec 11, 2007
Two wrongs never make a right. We need to get information, but how we get it is important also. Once we start justifying "minor" torture we will soon be using other methods when they don't work. It is wrong to start going down this path.
Tim Howe

United States

#16 Dec 11, 2007
Two comments relative to the author's statement: "Waterboarding is a harsh interrogation technique that involves strapping down a prisoner, covering his mouth with plastic or cloth and pouring water over his face. The prisoner quickly begins to inhale water, causing the sensation of drowning."

First, waterboarding does not create the "sensation" of drowning, it IS drowning. It creates the "sensation" of impending death by drowning.

Second, waterboarding is more than just a "harsh interrogation technique." It is torture. The US government prosecuted war crimes actions against Japanese military personnel for engaging in this exact practice during WW2.
Darkwater

North Chicago, IL

#17 Dec 11, 2007
Smetana wrote:
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security -- Benjamin Franklin
Good ole Ben was not talking about terrorists who will think nothing of raping, preforming real torture, beheading, etc. Terrorists do not have any rights.
Rhonin

Perris, CA

#18 Dec 11, 2007
You are a very superior individual. At least you think so. WE don't have the need to know? Yep, Hitler would have been proud of you. Hey, we're just the masses and you superior people need to tell us only what you think we should hear. YOU are what is wrong with this country. The people of this country are the ones who need to know. If you do something you don't think we would like, you'd just keep it a secret and tell us we don't need to know.
The Pre-American wrote:
We, as a country torture and will continue to do so. It is what has to be done. The difference is that now you know about it when really you shouldn't. You don't need to know every facet of the governments plans or how these plans are accomplished. "Need to know" isn't just a saying. It is a way of keeping those of you who don't want to know, or those who don't have the disposition to handle it from the truth. Just because something is the truth doesn't mean everyone has to know it. This is something the press would do well to remember. Things sometimes have to be done, it may not be pretty, it may not be right, but there are times where it is necessary. That said, since you now know about it, you can now have an opinion on it. You can also be sad, scared, appalled, etc. You do have that right. You have that right because we did what we had to do to preserve the freedom you believe comes from just living in this country. You have that right because we committed sins against our fellow human beings to get the information that allowed us to preserve those rights. Each and every day, there is a new "end of the world", and each day we fight. You will likely never hear of it and you won't care so long as you are allowed to live your life in comfort. I don't begrudge you this comfort, in fact I envy it. I will never sleep a full night without waking up crying. I will never go a full day with my son without thinking of others sons who died at my hands. I accepted that when I chose to join the military, I accepted that when I decided that these things had to be done for you, in spite of what you would have wanted from the comfort of your home. The sacrifices made in battle and in the dark rooms in which torture was applied were not just the enemies sacrifice, but ours as well. We became the monsters that you will cry out against so that you can be free. We made the world a better place, a place we can never fit in. So, yes you learned a few secrets that outraged you. Yes the government doesn't tell you certain things. You will get over it and in time you will forget that the truth is each day a few of us will commit the gravest sins to ensure your freedom to hate us.
Rsk

Chicago, IL

#19 Dec 11, 2007
Nick-Chicago wrote:
<quoted text>
The America we all love better go back to WW II methods in gathering and reporting on Americas safety.Enough said!
You mean the WWII methods that considered waterboarding torture, and executed Japanese officers that engaged in the practice as war criminals?

Rsk

Chicago, IL

#20 Dec 11, 2007
Andrew wrote:
Rsk, The comfy chair and soft pillow technique were not as effective.
Is that the dichotomy you think exists? Either torture (which waterboarding is, unequivocally) or a "comfy chair and soft pillow"?

Tell me, if someone you know was accused of having knowledge of terrorist activities, would you approve of torturing them to find out whether the accusations were true? I'd welcome an answer on this question from all the people supporting the use of torture on this board.

Rsk

Chicago, IL

#21 Dec 11, 2007
Darkwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Good ole Ben was not talking about terrorists who will think nothing of raping, preforming real torture, beheading, etc. Terrorists do not have any rights.
That is absolute hogwash. Do you think the founding fathers were much, much more familiar with the potential for man's brutality to man than any of us sitting behind our little computers, yet they chose the rule of law.

I'm simply not willing to throw away the sacrifices of the millions who have made this a nation under the rule of law, simply because there's a new boogeyman we should be scared of.

“Black souls wear white shirts”

Since: Sep 07

Vienna, VA

#22 Dec 11, 2007
Darkwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was he speaking of and how are the circumstances different today? Maybe it was the British who were kidnapping American sailers or perhaps he was speaking of the Barbary Pirates who were enslaving American men and women?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New report offers no evidence that Iraq stockpi... (Jun '06) May '15 Swedenforever 13
News Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
News 2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
News Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
News Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
News Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
News Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
More from around the web