Will: A lesson in what not to do in A...

Will: A lesson in what not to do in American education

There are 2 comments on the Austin American Statesman story from Dec 10, 2007, titled Will: A lesson in what not to do in American education. In it, Austin American Statesman reports that:

“The gap is closing. ... How do we know? Because we're measuring.”

No Child Left Behind, supposedly an antidote to the "soft bigotry of low expectations," has instead spawned lowered standards. via Austin American Statesman

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin American Statesman.

“Gun toting liberal”

Since: Nov 07

Wilmington

#1 Dec 13, 2007
In my children's elementary classrooms, at least six weeks was spent studying for the aptitude test during the second semester. After the test in mid-April, the teachers pretty much just let the kids have fun. Thus the students were robbed of nearly half their school year.

In exchange for this, we (the schools, parents and students) received a piece of paper telling us that our students were proficient (or not) in three or four subjects.

There was no data generated saying "Kathy has problems with subtraction," or "Billy needs to improve his vocabulary." NO information about future actions that might be taken to actually help the student was given to anybody.
Wayne

Bangkok, Thailand

#2 Dec 14, 2007
Welcome to the wonderful world of republican vision. Test scores are the number one priority in American education; little else matters. I know, I just retired from over 30 years in education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New report offers no evidence that Iraq stockpi... (Jun '06) May '15 Swedenforever 13
News Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
News 2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
News Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
News Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
News Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
News Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
More from around the web