CIA's ambitious post-9/11 spy plan cr...

CIA's ambitious post-9/11 spy plan crumbles

There are 12 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 17, 2008, titled CIA's ambitious post-9/11 spy plan crumbles. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The agency spent millions setting up front companies overseas to snag terrorists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

larry

United States

#1 Feb 17, 2008
cia what a joke
Daisy Cutter

United States

#2 Feb 17, 2008
Can there be any doubt about the inept and bloated nature of this agency. America is looking allot like the Roman Empire.
Cheryl

Evanston, IL

#3 Feb 17, 2008
Anyone who want to know what's going on with the CIA lately should read "Blowing my Cover" by Lindsey Moran and Still "Broken: A Recruit's Inside Account of Intelligence Failures, from Baghdad to the Pentagon" by AJ Rossmiller.

It's all games these guys are playing. With our lives and our money.
STREETCLOWN

Harwood Heights, IL

#5 Feb 17, 2008
Had they just invested in "quickie marts" they would be within the inner circle of the neighborhood. Just like the Eastern Indians spy on us! Ever notice the guy at the JJ Peppers or Convenience mart yapping away in a "Blue Tooth" at 3:00am, WHO is he talking to?
Cisco

Joliet, IL

#6 Feb 17, 2008
So if this whole thing came unraveled after Plame was exposed then isn't it easy to see the damage Scooter Libby's betrayal cost?
Jack

Hammond, IN

#7 Feb 17, 2008
These are the folks we want mining our telephone calls and deciding which of us are terrorists or not.
Questioning in Chicago

Chicago, IL

#8 Feb 17, 2008
Aside from the demoralizing attempt by the current administration to use the CIA as a tool to grease the gears of a dubious agenda, the ‘company’ also suffers, like the Pentagon, from a shift to a reliance on technology to carry out their missions. Here’s the way I see it: Once the cold war was won, instead of reacting to the new threat posed by terrorists like the ones that attacked the World Trade Center (the 1st time, in the early 90’s) and shifting their focus from what the article called ‘white collar’ to ‘blue collar’ infiltration of the enemy, the CIA decided to put all their eggs in optical satellites, the monitoring of voice and data transmissions and other high tech options. I seem to recall Congressional hearings about this shift during the Clinton/Gingrich administration. Like Donald Rumsfeld’s notion of a smaller, high-tech military and his cancellation of the training of our troops in the art of the pacification of a populace, meaning dealing with people on a personal basis, the personal element of interacting with the enemy at their level is not currently being addressed by the CIA. We seem to need both; the high tech and the personal. Does this make any sense? Am I wrong? Or am I just being obvious? Comments?
GoCubs

Jeffersonville, IN

#9 Feb 17, 2008
There is little that can be said when an agency and government cannot account for some 30 billion in spending.. Is there abuse? Are their methods effective? Sadly the most effective means to insure compliance by many foreigners comes down to paying people off. Therefore the most dangerous moments for terrorists actions will occur when our nations finances are in the weakest state.
concerned

Highland Park, IL

#10 Feb 17, 2008
Its really sad when these republican armchair warriors decided to air out secrets, regarding the lives of individuals that put their life on the line to protect our way of life. A great nation requires unselfish individuals to undertake jobs that the ordinary citizen can not and will not do and to have the people that setup these operations publicly criticized is a crying shame. Rep. Peter Hoekstra is a sad and pathetic individual for airing his criticism on the public stage. I'm sure his excuse is that they didn't listen prIvately so "this was the only way." SHAME ON YOU!
Granma

Northbrook, IL

#11 Feb 17, 2008
Cisco wrote:
So if this whole thing came unraveled after Plame was exposed then isn't it easy to see the damage Scooter Libby's betrayal cost?
Never has so few (one) been so wrong about so much within one sentence! That's the same blind, political bitterness that plagues the CIA (and other Depts.) as evidenced by the so-called Plame ousting set-up.
GOP lame

United States

#12 Feb 17, 2008
STREETCLOWN wrote:
Had they just invested in "quickie marts" they would be within the inner circle of the neighborhood. Just like the Eastern Indians spy on us! Ever notice the guy at the JJ Peppers or Convenience mart yapping away in a "Blue Tooth" at 3:00am, WHO is he talking to?
Street CLOWN you picked the perfect name. People like you are the real enemy within.
GOP lame

United States

#13 Feb 17, 2008
Questioning in Chicago wrote:
Aside from the demoralizing attempt by the current administration to use the CIA as a tool to grease the gears of a dubious agenda, the ‘company’ also suffers, like the Pentagon, from a shift to a reliance on technology to carry out their missions. Here’s the way I see it: Once the cold war was won, instead of reacting to the new threat posed by terrorists like the ones that attacked the World Trade Center (the 1st time, in the early 90’s) and shifting their focus from what the article called ‘white collar’ to ‘blue collar’ infiltration of the enemy, the CIA decided to put all their eggs in optical satellites, the monitoring of voice and data transmissions and other high tech options. I seem to recall Congressional hearings about this shift during the Clinton/Gingrich administration. Like Donald Rumsfeld’s notion of a smaller, high-tech military and his cancellation of the training of our troops in the art of the pacification of a populace, meaning dealing with people on a personal basis, the personal element of interacting with the enemy at their level is not currently being addressed by the CIA. We seem to need both; the high tech and the personal. Does this make any sense? Am I wrong? Or am I just being obvious? Comments?
I think your observations are pretty much right on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New report offers no evidence that Iraq stockpi... (Jun '06) May '15 Swedenforever 13
News Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
News 2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
News Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
News Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
News Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
News Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
More from around the web