Bailout no sure deal

Democrats in the Senate want to tack on $25 billion to an unemployment extension bill already passed by the House for a bailout for the Big 3, but they may not have the votes to get it done, according to ... Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dream On

United States

#83 Nov 23, 2008
Union All The Way wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree 100%.
I agree too. Works just like this for us in our business.

Take them to $15/ hr plus benefits and install a bonus on performance. Then the quality will go up and everyone cares from the top to the bottom!

Try to get the UAW to agrre to that. They'll scream bloody murder or STRIKE.
PRESIDENT OBAMMA

Sterling Heights, MI

#84 Nov 24, 2008
Hot Wings wrote:
<quoted text>
NIEVE? THE WORD IS NAIVE!!(pronounced nave)
:=)
my BAD thanx for the CORRECTION.:-(

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#85 Nov 25, 2008
For all of those of you that are complaining about Union Wages. Now let us look at the contractor that makes a prevailing wage on public projects. Those prevailing wages are based on Union wages.
Mere

Palatine, IL

#86 Nov 27, 2008
Dream On wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree too. Works just like this for us in our business.
Take them to $15/ hr plus benefits and install a bonus on performance. Then the quality will go up and everyone cares from the top to the bottom!
Try to get the UAW to agrre to that. They'll scream bloody murder or STRIKE.
You can sit high up on your own little throne but there are many people out there who got jobs with the big 3 because they good paying jobs that you didn't have to spend $60,000 or $70,000 on a degree for. This is the problem with people today. Back in the day working for one of the big three was just as good as working for someone else. You could get right out of high school and not need to get a degree to comfortably raise a family. Where have these prinicples gone? Not everyone can afford a degree and now because of that you really have to work on a masters to be ahead of the game. People need to wake up and realize what we've done to our economy. A college degree isn't even special any more. You try raising a family on $15 an hour. It doesn't matter if its a union shop or not. People deserve to be well paid for their work. Since when does being well paid mean having a degree? When did that change? We are talking about real people here, not just some "union slobs" who sit around getting "sloshed" at the union halls. There are good hard-working people out there. I think you're forgetting that these are real people, with real families that will suffer from this. I doubt that most of the people that work for the big three went to work there because it was a union shop. No matter where you work you are going to find people who are lazy. But to just throw a blanket over all of the people that work there is ignorant. Get off your pedestal and try some compassion. I am not sure how you sleep at night.
Old Rocker

United States

#87 Nov 27, 2008
Mere wrote:
<quoted text>
You can sit high up on your own little throne but there are many people out there who got jobs with the big 3 because they good paying jobs that you didn't have to spend $60,000 or $70,000 on a degree for. This is the problem with people today. Back in the day working for one of the big three was just as good as working for someone else. You could get right out of high school and not need to get a degree to comfortably raise a family. Where have these prinicples gone? Not everyone can afford a degree and now because of that you really have to work on a masters to be ahead of the game. People need to wake up and realize what we've done to our economy. A college degree isn't even special any more. You try raising a family on $15 an hour. It doesn't matter if its a union shop or not. People deserve to be well paid for their work. Since when does being well paid mean having a degree? When did that change? We are talking about real people here, not just some "union slobs" who sit around getting "sloshed" at the union halls. There are good hard-working people out there. I think you're forgetting that these are real people, with real families that will suffer from this. I doubt that most of the people that work for the big three went to work there because it was a union shop. No matter where you work you are going to find people who are lazy. But to just throw a blanket over all of the people that work there is ignorant. Get off your pedestal and try some compassion. I am not sure how you sleep at night.
So what's wrong with performance based pay? I didn't see any comments about college degrees in Dream On's post. Pay based on performance is what separates the hard workers from the lazy ones. If you are doing manufacturing type work it is easy to measure what everyone is producing and the quality of their work. Pay a base rate to everyone and then pay an incentive amount on top of that based on measured production. Those that produce more will get paid more and the lazy ones will weed themselves out. In some cases, group incentives will have to be worked out, but if that is necessary, the poorer performers automatically have peer pressure to work harder.
I'm retired and worked in this environment for 30 years as a supervisor, and it works. Some of the hardest workers make $25-$30 an hour after incentive and some don't earn much more than their $15 base rate. This is in a non-union shop in a company that leads the industry. I would put my group of people up against any group in a union shop. My people would work them into the ground.

Since: Nov 07

Caledonia, MI

#88 Nov 27, 2008
Google Fortune Magazine. Look for "GM Death Of An American Dream." The Auto workers will not get a loan or bailout without substantial CUTS to both wages and benefits. Sorry this is the Sad truth. But from the sounds of this article GM is doomed already !
Dream on

Waukee, IA

#89 Nov 27, 2008
Mere wrote:
<quoted text>
I have more Compassion than you could POSSIBLY comprehend.

I have many relatives than work for or have for GM. They have there pensions and paychecks at risk. However the do understand that America shouldnt have to bail out a company or companies that have made HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS and the workers have made HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS.

Why should a struggling American worker have to dig in his wallet to save a already longtime frivelous carmaker??

To do so would be nothing short of insanity.

America didnt create the nightmare. Why should we be forced to live it and pay for it??

These automakers have been living on borrowed time for years. 10 years have gone by since i bought a new truck. Last fall i got a 2007 lease return . Sold my old one with 287,000 miles on it.
The new one gets less gas mileage and is bulit so dang cheap its been in for 7 warranty claims.

LESS QUALITY and LESS mpg IS B.S.!! over 10 years....and less of a product???? Come on!!

The time has come for a SCREAMING wake up call.

This is so obvious......and the UAW shares the brunt with the BIG3!

I am sorry for the displaced workers, truly am,.........but, i CANNOT with clean conscience ask the rest of the hard working AMERICAN TAXPAYERS to dig out am already overpaid and bloated system in this time of struggling economy.

I sleep very well at nite thank you! I treat people with rspect and work hard to give back to America that gives me my freedom.

BTW, our family delivered to Mel Trotter last week $400 of groceries for meals for the needy along with our churches congregations donations.

I have plent of compassion. No thank you necessary.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless!
Maverick book

United States

#90 Nov 27, 2008
just me wrote:
let them fail
This article does not cite any references or sources.
Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unverifiable material may be challenged and removed.(May 2007)
Maverick : The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual Workplace by Ricardo Semler (1993 : Warner Books)
Maverick is essentially the autobiography of a business as well as a businessman, Ricardo Semler, Chairman of SEMCO, one of Brazilís largest conglomerates. First published in Brazil in 1988 as Turning the Tables which became the all-time best-selling nonfiction book in Brazil's history. Semler is the son of an entrepreneur who enters the family business and transforms it into a multi billion dollar business empire. What is unusual is the way he developed management, labour relations and the work environment to achieve these goals.
Among many 'radical' policies, Semler let his employees set their own hours, design their workplace, choose their own IT, share all information and have no secrets. Every six months bosses are evaluated by their subordinates and the results are posted. Semco has a policy of complete internal financial openness, even teaching factory workers how to read accounts so they can understand the company's books. Salaries are public information unless the employee requests they not be published. In addition, all employees can set their own salary. In doing so they must consider what they think they can make elsewhere; what others with similar skills and responsibilities make in the company; what friends with similar backgrounds make and how much they need to live on. Semco doesn't have receptionists, secretaries or personal assistants, regarding them as unnecessary.
Each business unit is small enough so that those involved understand everything that is going on and can influence the outcomes. Starting out as a manufacturing company, Semco allowed it's workers to set their own production quotas and found that employees would voluntarily work overtime to meet them. Profit sharing is practiced right down to factory floor level, instead of large bonuses only for senior management. Semler eventually retired from all executive positions at age 33.
Rather than mere theory, Semler's ideas have all been tested in practice.
Semco seeks to streamline and simplify processes and avoid complicated manuals. For example, the Semco company manual in an appendix is a brief comic book.
Maverick became a worldwide bestseller.
Semler also published The Seven-Day Weekend: Changing the Way Work Works in 2004, 11 years after Maverick.
Maverick book

United States

#91 Nov 27, 2008
Employees on all levels are encouraged to rotate jobs and move into different roles or business units as often as every 6 months.

ROTATE THE JOBS OF THE CEO'S.
WHAT WILL THE CEO'S GIVE UP?
Maverick book

United States

#92 Nov 27, 2008
18 used & new from $19.17

Have one to sell?

Share with Friends

The Seven-Day Weekend

The Seven-Day Weekend: Changing the Way Work Works

by Ricardo Semler (Author)
Maverick book

United States

#93 Nov 27, 2008
Practical Applications
Through reading everything I can get my hands on by this incredible leader, I came away with 5 main ideas:
1. Give up Control
Building a company much larger than yourself or your ideals means giving up control, and trusting those around you. If you hire someone, then you should trust them enough to make good decisions and give them a say in everything that goes on.
2. The Power of Intuition
There is no technological innovation that is more intelligent than human intuition. All people should be encouraged to make decisions based on their own ingenuity and intuition. By-the-book thinking actually discourages intuition and free thinking, thus leaving companies stuck to their old business models and ineffective procedures.
3. What it Means to be a Catalyst
Ricardo Semler is a catalyst, and he makes that clear in the second of his books. He asks questions, most of them beginning with the word ďwhyĒ. He is constantly re-thinking the way they do things in his attempt to continue building a healthy company. He believes wholeheartedly in the process, so he never makes a decision on his own accord. Best of all, he leads by example, and constantly lives out the philosophies by which his company thrives.
4. Growth is not Synonymous with Success
The biggest companies are simply not the most successful companies. Companies that grow too fast get over-extended and donít do anything very well. There is something to be said for companies that learn to grow at the right pace. Mergers also prove that bigger is not better. Combining 2 large companies seldom results in greater success, especially for customers.
5. True Leadership
True leaders think of those that they lead first, rather than themselves. They trust the people they lead, and share openly and honestly with them to encourage two-way communication.
Maverick book

United States

#94 Nov 27, 2008
The Seven-Day Weekend and over 190,000 other books are available for Amazon Kindle Ė Amazonís new wireless reading device. Learn more
amazon.com
18 used & new from $19.17

Have one to sell?

Share with Friends

Share your own customer images
Search inside another edition of this book
Start reading The Seven-Day Weekend on your Kindle in under a minute.

Donít have a Kindle? Get yours here.

The Seven-Day Weekend: Changing the Way Work Works [BARGAIN PRICE](Hardcover)
by Ricardo Semler (Author)
Key Phrases: way work works, United States, Sao Paulo, Wakefield Semco (more...)
(19 customer reviews)

Available from these sellers.

8 new from $31.35 10 used from $19.17
This is a bargain book and quantities are limited. Bargain books are new but could include a small mark from the publisher and an Amazon.com price sticker identifying them as such. See details.
Also Available in: List Price: Our Price: Other Offers:
Kindle Edition (Kindle Book)$9.99
Hardcover 24 used & new from $1.62
Paperback 19 used & new from $8.89

ICEMAN

Philadelphia, PA

#95 Nov 28, 2008
Dream on wrote:
<quoted text>
I have more Compassion than you could POSSIBLY comprehend.
I have many relatives than work for or have for GM. They have there pensions and paychecks at risk. However the do understand that America shouldnt have to bail out a company or companies that have made HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS and the workers have made HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS.
Why should a struggling American worker have to dig in his wallet to save a already longtime frivelous carmaker??
To do so would be nothing short of insanity.
America didnt create the nightmare. Why should we be forced to live it and pay for it??
These automakers have been living on borrowed time for years. 10 years have gone by since i bought a new truck. Last fall i got a 2007 lease return . Sold my old one with 287,000 miles on it.
The new one gets less gas mileage and is bulit so dang cheap its been in for 7 warranty claims.
LESS QUALITY and LESS mpg IS B.S.!! over 10 years....and less of a product???? Come on!!
The time has come for a SCREAMING wake up call.
This is so obvious......and the UAW shares the brunt with the BIG3!
I am sorry for the displaced workers, truly am,.........but, i CANNOT with clean conscience ask the rest of the hard working AMERICAN TAXPAYERS to dig out am already overpaid and bloated system in this time of struggling economy.
I sleep very well at nite thank you! I treat people with rspect and work hard to give back to America that gives me my freedom.
BTW, our family delivered to Mel Trotter last week $400 of groceries for meals for the needy along with our churches congregations donations.
I have plent of compassion. No thank you necessary.
Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless!
this is very true. but, when does it all stop spiraling down and turn for the better. how many big changes can this economy survive?
we need financial stability. govt has proven that dumping cash to banks doesnt work. they use it to pay ceo's big bucks and grow even bigger banks.
What a waste of money.

The big three and and any further companies need to bring a specific plan and specific dollars needed to congress with a distinct plan for its use to turn their problem around, otherwise forget it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
Democrats don't have a successful reelection pl... (Apr '11) Apr '11 OBat 3
•••

Peter Hoekstra People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••