Bailout no sure deal

Bailout no sure deal

There are 93 comments on the WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan story from Nov 17, 2008, titled Bailout no sure deal. In it, WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan reports that:

Democrats in the Senate want to tack on $25 billion to an unemployment extension bill already passed by the House for a bailout for the Big 3, but they may not have the votes to get it done, according to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Richard

Port Saint Lucie, FL

#1 Nov 17, 2008
UAW does not deserve any bailout.
crod

Longmont, CO

#2 Nov 17, 2008
They will just throw the money away like they are doing now. No one can afford to buy cars now anyway. Have the CEO give back his bonus and use that money to shore up the company

“Auto Centric”

Since: Nov 08

Grand Rapids

#3 Nov 17, 2008
The bailout will come. There is no way the Dems are not going to do it. It may take some time, but it's a slam dunk that it will occur.

Since: Nov 07

Littleton, CO

#4 Nov 17, 2008
Now is the time for the economy in the United States to make REAL CHANGES. People are getting used to not having credit available, they are finally trying to get out of debt. They are starting to live within their means. The mind set is there. I cannot believe that the Government, who says we all have to make big changes and sacrifices and not live on credit, is now trying to loosen the credit markets so people can again continue to live beyond their means. There should be NO BAIL OUT for GM. Bankruptcy is the way they should go. They can then eliminate the contracts that are sucking the company dry and get NEW leadership, re-organize (Like the airlines did) and come out a much leaner and profitable company. The days of consumer excess has to come to an end in the United States. We don't need New Cars and all the latest clothing and electronics to survive. It's time for us to concentrate on the important things. No Bail Outs, NO WAY !!!
just me

United States

#5 Nov 17, 2008
let them fail
Stephanievo5

Avalon, WI

#6 Nov 17, 2008
it seems that if they don't address the problem of good paying jobs that have lift the country, who can afford a new car? It seems the bailout is bound to fail unless they get those jobs back!
idunno

Troy, MI

#7 Nov 18, 2008
Atleast if they LOANED the BIG THREE money the U.S. would have an PRODUCT and JOB creation.This also applies to the MAJOR CITIES asking for money while WALL STREET is just another(legal )gamble and WHO could get/need an LOAN with no JOB?
Being a UAW worker at GM we ALREADY work in 2 to 3 years in the FUTURE the VOLT has ALREDY been worked on months ago.
if you took EVERY,FORD,GM or CRHYSLER out of the PAST where would the U.S. be?NO WHERE.
Peoples SHORT TERM memory of the industries economic push after 911 boosted the U.S. economy and confidense let alone th 100 YEAR anniversary of STEADY economic growth until now.GM the biggest healthcare provider EVER should be APPLAUDED and the HIGH PAID floor sweeper type jobs have been outsourced ALREADY.
Just think back to the 3 DAY STRIKE of GM sent ripples through the ECONOMY nation wide .
Can the U.S. AFFORD 2 to 3 million MORE people needing food stamps and unemployment?
All in all i feel the UAW’S skill work and spending is being tooken for granted and feel very UNAPPRIECIATED.
Now everyone thinks letting FOREIGN companies build manufactureing ALL our products is the ANSWER?Am i the only ONE who THINKS this is an NATIONAL SECURITY THREAT giving away our manufacturing base?
idunno

Troy, MI

#8 Nov 18, 2008
are the REPUBLICANS making PROBLEMS just to making SURE OBAMMA LOOKS BAD?

If YOU protest the AUTO BAILOUT walk or bike to where ever for the BIG 3 MAKE the BUSSES and TRUCKS also..........

UNGRATEFUL DWEEBS want to SELL U.S. OUT
@ the first sign of TROUBLE.
Ottersweb

Denver, CO

#9 Nov 18, 2008
Everyone is blaming the auto companies for the mess they are in. When is someone going to put the blame where it belongs? The Unions and greedy employees who keep demanding high salaries for sitting around to push a button and sit on their butts are the cause of most of this.
Calvin Mahan

United States

#10 Nov 18, 2008
I think the GOV should wait and see on the big 3 and make the big shoots give back some of there bones moneys. After 911 we bailed out the air lines and the first thing they did was lay off a lot of people. Now if we help the big 3 ther shoul be A close in it they can't cut the work forse.

Grand Haven, MI

#11 Nov 18, 2008
the ONLY way a bailout should even be considered is if the ceo's take pay cuts and no bonuses,the unions take concessions on benefits but not pay and they have to bring the jobs back to this country...50 years ago there were a multitude of auto manufacturers,and one by one they were overpowered,forced out of business or bought up by the big three...hmm,let em sink...there will be builders step in to fill the void...thats the true spirit of free enterprise,remember?on the flip side of it,why is the government freely handing out a trillion dollars of our money for executive bonuses on wall street,but the 30 billion the auto manufacturers want is out of line??
Wow

Deerfield, IL

#12 Nov 18, 2008
Ottersweb wrote:
Everyone is blaming the auto companies for the mess they are in. When is someone going to put the blame where it belongs? The Unions and greedy employees who keep demanding high salaries for sitting around to push a button and sit on their butts are the cause of most of this.
I can't believe the level of nievty on this blog. Does anyone realize what this would do to our country? Has anyone stopped to think about all the people this will affect? Have you ever worked in one of these plants? Yes there are some people who just sit on the job but there are even more people who work for those wages. But my question is how is that any different from the wall street guys who get paid much more then the average factory worker? We bailed them out and they are still giving their CEO's big bonuses. There are people, families who will loose their insuraunce and their pentions. What the hell is wrong with you people? How can you sit there are and say something like that? Nieve people like you are the reason our country is in the mess it's in. I pray that you never have to have your job go over seas or have your family fall apart because you don't have the money to support them any more. Maybe the UAW isn't the greatest but there are real people behind this not just a big organization.

Greeley, CO

#13 Nov 18, 2008
I hope the "big 3" see zero bailout money. The Government simply cannot get itself into the business of saving financially strapped companies. If they do where will it end?

It's not like they have loyalty to the US, as evident by the amount of work they have done in other countries.
Count

Johnson City, TN

#14 Nov 18, 2008
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe the level of nievty on this blog. Does anyone realize what this would do to our country? Has anyone stopped to think about all the people this will affect? Have you ever worked in one of these plants? Yes there are some people who just sit on the job but there are even more people who work for those wages. But my question is how is that any different from the wall street guys who get paid much more then the average factory worker? We bailed them out and they are still giving their CEO's big bonuses. There are people, families who will loose their insuraunce and their pentions. What the hell is wrong with you people? How can you sit there are and say something like that? Nieve people like you are the reason our country is in the mess it's in. I pray that you never have to have your job go over seas or have your family fall apart because you don't have the money to support them any more. Maybe the UAW isn't the greatest but there are real people behind this not just a big organization.
My family and I live on $15 hour. Why can't you. We can't afford higher taxes to pay off debts of companies who wouldn't be in the mess they're in if they had good management. Restructuring is the answer, not bail out.
Wyoming001

Grand Rapids, MI

#15 Nov 18, 2008
I don't think everyone one here is being naive. The problem is that there are so many things wrong. Yes, employees make more than what is reasonable. They need to make wage concessions to allow their company to continue to operate. Somewhere closer to Tier 2 wages. I know it hurts to hear that but the simple fact is that these are unskilled labor jobs. Yes, the unions are to blame for the large wages and they should be excised (as in removed from the situation). Yes, the CEO's and executives make far more than they are worth. And They are to blame for the horrendously ridiculous business model they are in charge of. Dealerships are a HUGE problem - let's stop and build ONLY what customers order, not fill up lots full of cars some peon in the back office thinks customers will want. Ford announced last week it was going to build more F-150 trucks which is just crazy stupid. It is inexcusable that they don't have more economical vehicles, it is inexcusable that we pay 15k for cars that are only worth 1/2 that amount. It is inexcusable that those Ford, GM, Chrylser cars don't last as long as Toyota, Honda, etc. Where or what is their plan for getting on track. Where I work we have lost 60-65% of our people over the past 6-7 years and while we struggled with each loss we continue to operate and make money. The big three needed to start doing the same thing years ago. It is their sheer arrogance that has led them to this. Should we bail them out? Probably not if they have no plan. Let them go under and be bought up by people who actually know how to operate businesses.
Allegan Redneck

United States

#16 Nov 18, 2008
Count wrote:
<quoted text>
My family and I live on $15 hour. Why can't you. We can't afford higher taxes to pay off debts of companies who wouldn't be in the mess they're in if they had good management. Restructuring is the answer, not bail out.
Well you're tax liability will be significantly less when you find yourself living on $0/hr...
Patches

United States

#17 Nov 18, 2008
I don't feel sorry for them when on Sunday someone driving a hi-lo makes $60.00 bucks an hour . Come back to reality at $15.00 an hour and work hard back breaking work . I don't want families to suffer , but these people have been spoiled just like the CEO's that make the big bonuses .
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#18 Nov 18, 2008
The Govt insured their pensions so they get to reach into your pocket to pay the Union Pensions. Where is ours? We should have equal access then.
Eternally_irrita ted

Gowen, MI

#19 Nov 18, 2008
idunno wrote:
Atleast if they LOANED the BIG THREE money the U.S. would have an PRODUCT and JOB creation.This also applies to the MAJOR CITIES asking for money while WALL STREET is just another(legal )gamble and WHO could get/need an LOAN with no JOB?
Being a UAW worker at GM we ALREADY work in 2 to 3 years in the FUTURE the VOLT has ALREDY been worked on months ago.
if you took EVERY,FORD,GM or CRHYSLER out of the PAST where would the U.S. be?NO WHERE.
Peoples SHORT TERM memory of the industries economic push after 911 boosted the U.S. economy and confidense let alone th 100 YEAR anniversary of STEADY economic growth until now.GM the biggest healthcare provider EVER should be APPLAUDED and the HIGH PAID floor sweeper type jobs have been outsourced ALREADY.
Just think back to the 3 DAY STRIKE of GM sent ripples through the ECONOMY nation wide .
Can the U.S. AFFORD 2 to 3 million MORE people needing food stamps and unemployment?
All in all i feel the UAW’S skill work and spending is being tooken for granted and feel very UNAPPRIECIATED.
Now everyone thinks letting FOREIGN companies build manufactureing ALL our products is the ANSWER?Am i the only ONE who THINKS this is an NATIONAL SECURITY THREAT giving away our manufacturing base?
You cannot even spell correctly! Typical UAW worker...

Union All The Way

“So what!!”

Since: Apr 08

Lakeview, Mi.

#20 Nov 18, 2008
Count wrote:
<quoted text>
U.A.W. workers pay taxes too or did you forget that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New report offers no evidence that Iraq stockpi... (Jun '06) May '15 Swedenforever 13
News Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
News 2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
News Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
News Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
News Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
News Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
More from around the web