Governor responds to turtle fence criticisms

Lansing - Governor Jennifer Granholm responded quickly and strongly to U.S. Representative Peter Hoekstra's letter criticizing the state for spending $318,000 to build a fence along U.S. 31 to protect migrating ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Angel1986

United States

#1 Jan 9, 2008
Seriously??? A turtle fence? I drove past it the other day and all parts of it were torn down..My guess is from accidents this winter. So not only is this stupid and redicilous, but now we will have to pay to have it repaired ever spring. So no not $318,000. much more than that ever year!! What a stupid waste of money! Lets get real.
Lightsout

Hudsonville, MI

#2 Jan 9, 2008
In the long run... "Turtle tunnels" would have proved less expensive. And the bonus? Some of Muskegon's homeless could share the accommodations. Hey, it's better than a doorway, right? Yeah Michigan!!!
Maria

Santa Catarina, Mexico

#3 Jan 9, 2008
She is an idiot. Raising taxes on businesses when jobs are leaving??? Supporting the UAW and their idiotic philosophies???
Whoever votes Demoratic in Michigan is a complete idiot!
James

United States

#4 Jan 9, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
Seriously??? A turtle fence? I drove past it the other day and all parts of it were torn down..My guess is from accidents this winter. So not only is this stupid and redicilous, but now we will have to pay to have it repaired ever spring. So no not $318,000. much more than that ever year!! What a stupid waste of money! Lets get real.
Yeppers! I saw that also, I figure the turtles tore up the fence trying to escape the state.
Maria

Santa Catarina, Mexico

#5 Jan 9, 2008
James, don't you have minorities to insult?
You have lost all credibility with your insane comments. What a hateful, bitter, pathetic person.
get real people

Holland, MI

#6 Jan 10, 2008
Maria wrote:
You have lost all credibility with your insane comments. What a hateful, bitter, pathetic person.
You are such a hypocrite!!
get real people

Holland, MI

#7 Jan 10, 2008
Maria wrote:
In all your posts you slam anybody that does not have the same views or beliefs you do. This is a place for others to voice their opinions. The worst people are those who think others are "stupid" or "morons" for not having the same opinions. If women want to vote for Hillary that is their right and does not make them stupid or should not have their voting rights revoked. Just open up that big head of yours and listen instead of doing all the talking and name calling, you might learn something new.
Batch 37 Pain Is Good

United States

#8 Jan 10, 2008
Funny how the fence ends when you exit from SB 31 onto south entrance to Muskegon by Getty. What the turtles don't travel North to South only East to West. Enviro weenies.

“Taz say Hi”

Since: Jan 08

Holland,MI

#9 Jan 10, 2008
The state of Michigan has no choice but to follow the law. Loo back at the article and you'll see that Hoekstra was one of those involved in writing the transportation bill with it's environmental provisions. Neat trick, when you can get away with it, write a federal law and then criticize the governor for following the law.
Internet troll

United States

#10 Jan 10, 2008
Gentle Taz wrote:
The state of Michigan has no choice but to follow the law. Loo back at the article and you'll see that Hoekstra was one of those involved in writing the transportation bill with it's environmental provisions. Neat trick, when you can get away with it, write a federal law and then criticize the governor for following the law.
Nice try. There was no requirement to build a turtle fence. The money was provided by the feds to build projects that were good for the environment....that doesn't mean to blow large wads of it on a fence. The folks that penned the funding bill probably had larger scale benefits in mind than a turtle fence.
Beth

Holland, MI

#11 Jan 10, 2008
Practically everything is broken in this state and yet we are building turtle fences to protect the turtles? Even the turtles are smarter than ol' Jenny.
Maria

Holland, MI

#12 Jan 10, 2008
get real people wrote:
<quoted text>In all your posts you slam anybody that does not have the same views or beliefs you do. This is a place for others to voice their opinions. The worst people are those who think others are "stupid" or "morons" for not having the same opinions. If women want to vote for Hillary that is their right and does not make them stupid or should not have their voting rights revoked. Just open up that big head of yours and listen instead of doing all the talking and name calling, you might learn something new.
Exactly. I posted my thoughts and was slammed. HOwever JAMES made racist comments and called me a liar about my location. He was wrong in both accounts yet continues to stalk me.
get real people

Holland, MI

#13 Jan 10, 2008
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I posted my thoughts and was slammed. HOwever JAMES made racist comments and called me a liar about my location. He was wrong in both accounts yet continues to stalk me.
If you want to post a thought that is great, but just do it without name calling. I think that when people start name calling it just creates sarcasm and alot of bashing back and forth. I guess if someone wants to bash you for your comment then ignore them. As to your location, I have no idea why he would even care where you are. Some people, as does myself, post from home and from the office, thus creating two different locations.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#14 Jan 10, 2008
Maria wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Maria, YOU'RE the one trolling and stalking him on this thread. He didn't even make a comment on YOUR posting, but on someone else's. You're the one that jumped the gun and started letting the insults fly on this thread. NOT James.

Oh, and just because he goes by JAMES doesn't mean a d.amn thing. I know people who go by Christopher NOT Chris, William NOT Bill, Jeffrey NOT Jeff, and Jennifer NOT Jen. It's a personal preference and a low blow on YOUR part picking at how a person prefers to be called.

“Lost my mind”

be back later

#15 Jan 10, 2008
Batch 37 Pain Is Good wrote:
Funny how the fence ends when you exit from SB 31 onto south entrance to Muskegon by Getty. What the turtles don't travel North to South only East to West. Enviro weenies.
That's because we have smart turtles! They only travel where they are 'allowed' to travel. Kind of like those deer that ONLY cross where the deer crossing signs are. Although coming back from NY we saw signs that even listed miles on it. There is one by Bellevue that tells you it's for like 5 miles. At least they are giving them more range!

<please see the sarcasm in this comment! LOL>
Angel1986

United States

#16 Jan 10, 2008
James wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeppers! I saw that also, I figure the turtles tore up the fence trying to escape the state.
True they may have jumped the fence to get outta the state and are wondering why we a torturing them. Poor turtles!! Do you think I could ride on the back of one and go with it? Maybe we will go to Tennessee!! yipee

“Lost my mind”

be back later

#17 Jan 10, 2008
Something I thought interesting on our trip to NY. When we left MI and entered IN on I6.9, the Welcome to Indiana sign was gone. Did they take it down so you didn't realize you were leaving MI or wanted people to think they weren't really gone? tee hee!
James

United States

#18 Jan 10, 2008
Angel1986 wrote:
<quoted text>
True they may have jumped the fence to get outta the state and are wondering why we a torturing them. Poor turtles!! Do you think I could ride on the back of one and go with it? Maybe we will go to Tennessee!! yipee
Angel,
Can't say much for the Volunteer State as I am a cold weather type myself.
I haven't been able to verify this yet but the contractor who installed the fence, wasn't even local or from Michigan.
As for the transportation part, well I guess that would work if ya ain't in to much of a hurry and would also depend upon how many fences those turtles have to cross over.
maureenlee

Kalamazoo, MI

#19 Jan 10, 2008
I really don't care what that wench says about anything. Hope to never hear her name again once she is no longer gov'ner
Angel1986

United States

#20 Jan 10, 2008
Wow harshness. But I also feel she has done a horrible job to say the least. Lets all ride a trutle outta here!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
Democrats don't have a successful reelection pl... (Apr '11) Apr '11 OBat 3
•••

Peter Hoekstra People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••