Hoekstra steps up criticism of the Muskegon turtle fence

There are 20 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Oct 24, 2007, titled Hoekstra steps up criticism of the Muskegon turtle fence. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

Washington DC - U.S. Representative Peter Hoekstra sent Governor Jennifer Granolm a letter today calling the fence to keep turtles from crossing U.S. 31 a "lack of prioritization." The fence is being ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
SKEETER

United States

#1 Oct 24, 2007
YOU GO PETE, WISH YOU WOULD BE AS VOCAL PROMOTING GETTING THE FENCE BUILT TO KEEP THE STINKING ILLEGALS OUT.
Batch 37 Pain is Good

Barnesville, OH

#2 Oct 24, 2007
Yeah, Go Pete! I drive that road twice a week and do not see that many turtles, if any, on the road. I see more opossum and coons.

Since: Oct 07

United States

#3 Oct 24, 2007
Way to go Pete, good to hear someone has sense enough to point out this out to the senseless. Michigan has far bigger problems than Turtles for sure.
George

Syracuse, NY

#4 Oct 24, 2007
What a rediculous waste of money!

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#6 Oct 24, 2007
Do you think she'll actually take the time to read it?

Great letter, Pete!
Pam from Muskegon

Hampton, VA

#7 Oct 24, 2007
Hoekstra needs to worry about his own district! He should concentrate on his next vote for his own pay raise!
Miracle

Romeo, MI

#8 Oct 24, 2007
BS Pete is one of the worst congressmen there are. That money was earmarked for enviromental issues. Do you people want all of the trees and everything to die? I have seen turtles along that stretch. They even showed the dead turtles on the news. GROW UP! You sound like people that would support Micheal Vick and dogfighting.

Wichita, KS

#9 Oct 24, 2007
Though we have a responsibility to take care of our environment and the creatures within, we must also take care of ourselves. If we havenít jobs and other means of income then how could we take care of the above?

It is good of Mr. Hoekstra to write this letter. I certainly hope it is not another political maneuver.
Plain Jane

Hudsonville, MI

#10 Oct 24, 2007
Mr Hoekstra's efforts are to be commended but I am sure they will fall on deaf ears. This state is just in a very sad state of affairs and I am afraid that my family is being forced into a choice of moving that I never thought I would have to make. We're grieving.
crashx10

Grand Rapids, MI

#11 Oct 24, 2007
First off...apparently this is the deadliest stretch of highway in the WHOLE country for these turtles. On top of that think of how many people swerve to miss these things (which if it hasn't yet, will eventually cause an accident). Secondly...this money isn't coming from State of Michigan funds. It's coming from the US government and is to be spent on environmental issues, which we all know if we don't use it some other state will. Lastly...at least a few people are working to build this thing which is keeping them off welfare for a few more days.
jake

Big Rapids, MI

#12 Oct 24, 2007
Miracle wrote:
BS Pete is one of the worst congressmen there are. That money was earmarked for enviromental issues. Do you people want all of the trees and everything to die? I have seen turtles along that stretch. They even showed the dead turtles on the news. GROW UP! You sound like people that would support Micheal Vick and dogfighting.
Are you kidding me Pete Hoekstra is one of the best congressmen to date. Pete not only takes time to speak up about issues faceing his own district but others. Mr. Hoekstra not only came to my High School back in the day to speak, but spent much time with us after his speech to discuss topics we cared about. He also met with us when we went to DC and invited us in for a meeting in his office and gave us a tour of the capitol building. I dare you to find a better congressmen. And if you say Elhers your an idiot. If Granholm takes the time to read this..maybe she will learn a thing or two about how the economy acctually works
arrogant rulingclass snob

Muskegon, MI

#13 Oct 24, 2007
This bozo should try getting us back the 100s of millions that was wrongfully taken by the idiotic "driver responsibility law", not waste time on this bullcrap. I say put the dam fence up to catch them all, I like turtle soup.
Maria

Holland, MI

#14 Oct 24, 2007
Pete Hoekstra is the most common-sense politician I have seen. He has high integrity and always thinks about what's best for the state.
Darren

Encino, CA

#15 Oct 24, 2007
As I understand it, the monies are grants from the feds. This money can only be used for enviromental conservation or asthetics. I think Mr hoekstra is rattling yet another political sabre.
Darren

Encino, CA

#16 Oct 24, 2007
A big political sabre to rattle. If he would have put the same effort into keeping us out of Iraq....Then we would have a couple of hundred billion for all the enviromental projects that need to be done.

This money is from the feds. Not MI.
Nick from Shelby

United States

#17 Oct 24, 2007
I like Hoekstra, but I don't agree with his views on this fence. This is a necessary improvement to US 31 that is desperately needed to stop killing these turtles. There are a lot of turtles that cross there in the spring. Other roads will get their turn. This fence has been in the planning stages for a long time and now people all of a sudden don't like it. Well it's time to deal with it. We are getting this fence whether you like it or not. Got it.
MICHAEL M

Plainwell, MI

#18 Oct 24, 2007
MR.HOEKSTRA VERY NICE AND YOU ARE RIGHT,
WHEN YOU GET YOUR RESPONCE FROM JENNY.
ASK HER WHAT SHE PLANS TO DO ON THE HELMET LAW IN FRONT OF HER ALSO.
NINETY NINE PERCENT OF THOSE WHO RIDE
PAY INSURANCE AND TAXES,AND ARE REGISTERED VOTERS.

United States

#19 Oct 24, 2007
Miracle wrote:
BILLIONS of earthworms die every time it rains. We should fight earth worm deaths by making worm fences for every street or piece of concrete immediately.

Earmarked by WHO? Idiot politicians who don't realize Michigan has MUCH bigger problems than dead turtles.
I love animals also but there are far bigger issues that need to be dealt with. Pete has the sense to point that out to those that can't see it like yourself.
grandma sam

Chapel Hill, NC

#20 Oct 24, 2007
Let's be real. Mr. Pete Hoekstra makes a good point given the condition or our state and national economy. His opponents make some environmental sense too. What is sad is that we wouldn't even have this discussion if our elected leaders acted responsibily in the first place. Given where the state is, Pete points out, fairly, priority in spending....any spending. If Michigan were in respectable economic standing instead of dead last...the fence would go up and we would be dealing with other issues. No one understands sacrifice anymore. During WWII my grandmother rationed sugar, gasoline, nylons etc....today, we are selfish, gutless, absent of a backbone and in a pickle. Snap out of it people! Just do the right things and we will ALL live better together.
Jorge Zofebol

Grand Rapids, MI

#21 Oct 24, 2007
Peter Hoekstra has finally spoken !! What if he would put this much effort towards lowering fuel costs getting out of Iraq or possibly taking a pay cut. Pete there are more important things that you should spend your time on get us tax cut .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Peter Hoekstra Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Local projects ready for Obama $timulus (Jan '09) Dec '12 Red_Fist 62
News 2012 Presidential race surpasses $2B (Dec '12) Dec '12 Lance Winslow 2
News Asian-American Super PAC Launches To Hit Back A... (Feb '12) Sep '12 Sunobia 4
News Ex-GOP Rep. Hoekstra to run for Mich. Senate seat (Jul '11) Jul '11 WOODCHUCK 1
News Intelligence Agencies Fear Future Budget Cuts i... (May '11) May '11 911 was an inside... 1
News Polpourri: Hoekstra out, but another West Michi... (Apr '11) Apr '11 imaginaryfriend 44
News Democrats don't have a successful reelection pl... (Apr '11) Apr '11 OBat 3
More from around the web