Do penalties for smokers and the obes...

Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense?

There are 34 comments on the ABC 33/40 story from Jan 26, 2013, titled Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense?. In it, ABC 33/40 reports that:

14, 2007 file photo, a man smokes in Omaha, Neb. Police say a Franciscan friar accused of sexual abusing students at schools in two states killed himself at a western Pennsylvania monastery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC 33/40.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#22 Jan 28, 2013
This all makes sense if you look at it progressively. If you add 50 million to the health insurance rolls that have never had it, health care costs will go down.

obamacare was made to order for insurers. They get another 50 million policies, whether you want one or not, and get to raise rates for everyone. A progressive win-win.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#23 Jan 28, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
I love anti-liberals.
If it's in Obamacare there is not way it could be good at all, ever,
But in the same breath you clowns are all about, personal responsibility, and consequences of your own actions.
So it's OK for an insurance company to charge a smoker more then a non-smoker, but if it's in Obamacare it's liberalism at it's worst.
The only platform of the Republicans is, "Everything the other side does is totally evil."
The Right's constant lack of morality, common sense, compassion, and foresight, coupled with their extreme levels of, self-importance, paranoia, and childishness, have sealed the fate of the Republican party. It will be a short future. Most of us are too smart to buy into this hogwash on a daily basis past our 30s
What, I didn't gather that at all from the previous posts. THEY were against the increases based on being fat or a smoker. Basically it opens the door to increasing rates on say, those who have a condition causing blindness, diabetes and countless other health issues. It's a trap, and one that Obamacare has pre-installed. The left is evil. They continuously cook up schemes to provide less whilst they take more for their give away programs in exchange for votes.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#24 Jan 28, 2013
RustyS wrote:
This all makes sense if you look at it progressively. If you add 50 million to the health insurance rolls that have never had it, health care costs will go down.
obamacare was made to order for insurers. They get another 50 million policies, whether you want one or not, and get to raise rates for everyone. A progressive win-win.
And, meanwhile pelosi, obama and reid got in on the ground floor investments on wall street in those very insurance companies. BRILLIANT!
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#25 Jan 28, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, those criteria do not apply to me bcuse I am self employed, I'm a small business owner, and because I have only 1 employee I am unable to get a decent plan though my own business.
So yes, rates are higher for those who re not in the enployment pool.
Wrong, I am self-employed. I joined a company for 3 years. They forced me onto their plan, at a cost of $6,200.00 per year. They didn't even have doctors in my area that accepted their plan. On my own for me and my family, insurance rates were $3600.00 per year. I was busy covering the plant manager at that firm who had 6 kids. The point is, a pool is not always the best policy depending on who's in it.
Bob Lewis

AOL

#26 Jan 28, 2013
We voted for Tyranney by the Majority in November. We are pitiful now and must submit, surrender, and OBEY the whims of The Obama.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#27 Jan 28, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, those criteria do not apply to me bcuse I am self employed, I'm a small business owner, and because I have only 1 employee I am unable to get a decent plan though my own business.
So yes, rates are higher for those who re not in the enployment pool.
Do you think the government will stop with tobacco and obesity? Talk about a slippery slope.

This will eventually, if it hasn't already, come down to blaming freedom for costly poor health. Control, control, control. You can't do this because that may happen. You can't eat that because this may happen...more bans, fines, penalties...where does it end? Answer: it won't.
KeepGitmoOpen

Bryn Mawr, PA

#28 Jan 28, 2013
unless it brings down the non fat smokers insurance than no.. Im sure this just goes to pay an Obama Czar.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#29 Jan 28, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
And, meanwhile pelosi, obama and reid got in on the ground floor investments on wall street in those very insurance companies. BRILLIANT!
And we thought republicans screwed us. Democrats have pulled off a world class scam, and, convinced us it was in our best interest. The rich like Pelosi, Reid, Boehner and others made another fortune, the poor got better health care and the only one who paid were the middle class working people. Progressively brilliant.
A Nnoyed

Tunbridge Wells, UK

#30 Jan 28, 2013
I'm reasonably certain everyone will die.
Chicopee

United States

#31 Jan 28, 2013
La Santa Muerte wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the government will stop with tobacco and obesity? Talk about a slippery slope.
This will eventually, if it hasn't already, come down to blaming freedom for costly poor health. Control, control, control. You can't do this because that may happen. You can't eat that because this may happen...more bans, fines, penalties...where does it end? Answer: it won't.
Ironic, isn't it? The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave is going to submit to more government control than any other industrialized nation in the world.
I guess it's too late to actually read the bill and know what's in it before they pass it.
What's even scarier is the citizens who support these measures.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#32 Jan 29, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironic, isn't it? The Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave is going to submit to more government control than any other industrialized nation in the world.
I guess it's too late to actually read the bill and know what's in it before they pass it.
What's even scarier is the citizens who support these measures.
Thanks to the progressive left we've become a nation of government dependents. It's what they want, it's what they need. The left would disappear without the ability to exploit people they've labeled "victims."
Jaimie

Madison, WI

#33 Jan 29, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is that abuse of illegal substances should ban you from any government programs, funding, or subsidies. The abuse of legal substances should have a negative influence on your rates.
I used to work with the Surgeon General of Wisconsin. He was developing a menthol and non-menthol cigarrete for perscription use, for smokers.

The patches and nicorette gum held more deaths then smokers themself, to much nicotine in the medical breakdown. It was based on studies of American citizens that do smoke... 2 packs a day was the average throughout the nation of smokers. I smoke 8-10 cigarrettes a day at average; I would have had a cornonary heart failure and other and potentially die to assume a patch or gum.

Obesity was illegal. I am 5'1 1/4 " I am to weigh 103-112 lbs. Anything over 20 pounds is called obese and grounds to remove children and intervene on a civilian behalf. I'm at 130 now and comfortable. little loose and flabby but im cute regardless at times.

Each US CITIZEN is protected by comfidentiality laws. WHO the f are any of you to form a opinion on anyone outside of your own home. MYOB or you lose home and accounts for a profiling hate crime agaisnt us citizens because you have not learned to keep opinion gossip or slander to self and that alone is a 7 years prison sentnece.
toss in

Albuquerque, NM

#34 Jan 29, 2013
methheads, crackhos, pot zombies, pill junkies ER groupies on their constant medicaid oxy fix. welfare tweens with legs born spread spitting welfare spawn out faster than seeds. 70% of chilrens born in NM were medicaid babies.

put these in the mix, then maybe overeaters and smokers can be asked to pay more too per a 'risk based' lifestyle as the upper list is.
CBOW

Abbottstown, PA

#35 Jan 31, 2013
Millions of Americans who cannot afford family coverage offered through employers won't be able to get federal financial assistance to buy health insurance on their own because of what's being called a "glitch" in the Obamacare law, the New York Times reports

The Internal Revenue Service said Wednesday it would determine whether an employer's health plan is "affordable" based on the cost of coverage for an individual employee, not for a family. That means some families might not be able to afford the full premium on their own but would not be considered eligible for federal subsidies, the Times reported.

This definition of affordable is based on the way Congress wrote the 2010 law, even though some advocates had hoped the glitch would be fixed in the regulatory process, the Associated Press reports.

It is unclear exactly how many people will be affected. To provide some help, officials said families that can't get coverage because of the glitch will not face a tax penalty for remaining uninsured, the IRS rules said.
OBAMACARE IS AN ABSOLUTE OBAMANATION.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paul Ryan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP at war with itself (Mar '16) 2 hr Tm Cln 4,042
News Trump's statements on racial violence vs. previ... 12 hr bottlecap 2
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 15 hr Dubya 2
get rid of ryan 15 hr hal 1
News Fox News host Eric Bolling suspended amid inves... Tue Trump Curious 86
News Paul Ryan Holding CNN Town Hall in Wisconsin Di... Aug 14 RustyS 1
News Trump claims witch hunt, says he's most hounded... Aug 14 evil of 2 lessers 1,575
More from around the web