Do penalties for smokers and the obes...

Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense?

There are 34 comments on the ABC 33/40 story from Jan 26, 2013, titled Do penalties for smokers and the obese make sense?. In it, ABC 33/40 reports that:

14, 2007 file photo, a man smokes in Omaha, Neb. Police say a Franciscan friar accused of sexual abusing students at schools in two states killed himself at a western Pennsylvania monastery.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ABC 33/40.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#1 Jan 27, 2013
Ask Obama. He smokes.

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Waters Creek, GA

#3 Jan 27, 2013
Ninthman wrote:
Ask Obama. He smokes.
If smoking and obesity are cause for higher obamacare rates, then anyone buying healthcare through a state or federally installed exchange, should have to comply with mandatory drug testing, and of course be ruled ineligible with a dirty test result.

“Obama Shames the USA”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#4 Jan 27, 2013
General Robert E Lee wrote:
<quoted text>
If smoking and obesity are cause for higher obamacare rates, then anyone buying healthcare through a state or federally installed exchange, should have to comply with mandatory drug testing, and of course be ruled ineligible with a dirty test result.
True. I think the point of Obamacare is thet it guarantees China a healthy slave force.
Jun 13, 2011 –“Racism against black people may be the strongest form of racism in China.
Obama wants to get us more into debt with China.
The GOP doesn't.
If you are black, who's really on your side? 3152
Robert

Douglasville, GA

#5 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>
The cost may not be higher, because they die earlier they don't use as many health care dollars so if they are on Obamacare and smoke it might save the tax payers money, we need more study.

“Registered Conservative”

Since: Jul 11

Waters Creek, GA

#6 Jan 27, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text> The cost may not be higher, because they die earlier they don't use as many health care dollars so if they are on Obamacare and smoke it might save the tax payers money, we need more study.
The point is that abuse of illegal substances should ban you from any government programs, funding, or subsidies. The abuse of legal substances should have a negative influence on your rates.

Since: Mar 08

Allentown, PA

#7 Jan 27, 2013
<quoted text>
The point is that abuse of illegal substances should ban you from any government programs, funding, or subsidies. The abuse of legal substances should have a negative influence on your rates.
Keep in mind smokers pay a tax on cigarettes and that money should be used for their healthcare, not fund anything politicians cook up.
The cost of a policy will be very high, the surcharge will put it beyond reach for many. I suppose the government could round these people up and put them into prison. The effect will be to take them off the tax payment rolls and make them tax consumers.
Lepor

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#8 Jan 27, 2013
Long before OBamacare, smokers and the overweight would pay higher rates for health insurance.

Does it make sense? Yes it does.
news flash

Coffeyville, KS

#9 Jan 27, 2013
Not when they already pay higher tax and premiums due to their choiches, and in the case of the obese not just health choices but sometimes thyroid and other health issues they cannot control, as long as we are going to do pay for illegals that even when they pay any tax it never covers half what they cost us in health, welfare, food stamps, education, and crime. If we are going to pay for illegals we should not charge American citizens more for their choices.

Allentown, PA

#10 Jan 27, 2013
Lepor wrote:
Long before OBamacare, smokers and the overweight would pay higher rates for health insurance.
Smokers already pay a tax or did you forget?

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#11 Jan 27, 2013
A fat tax. A great start to allowing health insurance companies to follow the auto insurance industry. 3 claims, for anything, in a 5 year period and they can cancel your policy.

Allentown, PA

#12 Jan 27, 2013
news flash wrote:
Not when they already pay higher tax and premiums due to their choiches, and in the case of the obese not just health choices but sometimes thyroid and other health issues they cannot control, as long as we are going to do pay for illegals that even when they pay any tax it never covers half what they cost us in health, welfare, food stamps, education, and crime. If we are going to pay for illegals we should not charge American citizens more for their choices.
With the Democrats and Liberals, you only penalize those who follow the law or work to achieve something.
Maybe there should be an extra fee if in your old age your eyesight gives you problems because you didn't eat enough carrots when you were a teen.
Lepor

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#13 Jan 27, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
Smokers already pay a tax or did you forget?
No I didn't
I pay taxes on 2 packs of butts a day.
Lepor

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#14 Jan 27, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
With the Democrats and Liberals, you only penalize those who follow the law or work to achieve something.
Maybe there should be an extra fee if in your old age your eyesight gives you problems because you didn't eat enough carrots when you were a teen.
I love anti-liberals.
If it's in Obamacare there is not way it could be good at all, ever,
But in the same breath you clowns are all about, personal responsibility, and consequences of your own actions.
So it's OK for an insurance company to charge a smoker more then a non-smoker, but if it's in Obamacare it's liberalism at it's worst.
The only platform of the Republicans is, "Everything the other side does is totally evil."
The Right's constant lack of morality, common sense, compassion, and foresight, coupled with their extreme levels of, self-importance, paranoia, and childishness, have sealed the fate of the Republican party. It will be a short future. Most of us are too smart to buy into this hogwash on a daily basis past our 30s

Allentown, PA

#15 Jan 27, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
No I didn't
I pay taxes on 2 packs of butts a day.
Since you are the end user, the taxes you pay should be used to benefit you, not pay for some politician's glory.
Remember during the tobacco lawsuit how politicians fretted over those poor smokers inhaling themselves into an early grave? They felt so sorry for smokers when they thought they could squeeze some money out of the tobacco companies.
Soon as they got the cash, it was back to smokers- f*ck 'em.

Allentown, PA

#16 Jan 27, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
1) I love anti-liberals.

2) So it's OK for an insurance company to charge a smoker more then a non-smoker, but if it's in Obamacare it's liberalism at it's worst.
The only platform of the Republicans is, "Everything the other side does is totally evil."

3) The Right's constant lack of morality, common sense, compassion,
1) You should. Left to your own devices, you people go off the deep emotional end. Fine if you want to go off the cliff, just do not take everyone with you.

2) There never ever was a need for ObamaCare. A decent health insurance policy could have been offered at far less cost without the need for Barack Obama to offer guidance on your health. The Republicans were working to this end and healthcare could have been done at FAR less cost. Thanks to ObamaCare, health policies are now far more expensive and the costs have gone way beyond what the Democrats said they would be.

Rude as he may have been, Joe Wilson was right- Obama lied.

3) People like you confuse the Democrat's emotional displays with sound solutions.
Lepor

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#17 Jan 27, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
1) You should. Left to your own devices, you people go off the deep emotional end. Fine if you want to go off the cliff, just do not take everyone with you.
2) There never ever was a need for ObamaCare. A decent health insurance policy could have been offered at far less cost without the need for Barack Obama to offer guidance on your health. The Republicans were working to this end and healthcare could have been done at FAR less cost. Thanks to ObamaCare, health policies are now far more expensive and the costs have gone way beyond what the Democrats said they would be.
Rude as he may have been, Joe Wilson was right- Obama lied.
3) People like you confuse the Democrat's emotional displays with sound solutions.
No, not really.
our healthcare system is a total joke. It is a global embarressment. The simple fact that if you have an x ray in an ER in Dallas, you get a bill from a company in Austin, and yousend the payment to a company in Arizona. Medical billing is completely convoluted. I don't have alot of Hospital experience, but medical billing is an actual field of employment. There are rooms of people generating bills for services 24 hours a day. It is completely insane. Far too much money is spent on healthcare. Too much goes to the top. More of it should stay closer to the people doing the service rather then being used to make billionares, and corporate conglomerates.
Anything that works to get us away from the current "system" is good. I don't know if Obamacare does. But it sure does piss off alot of people. A step in the right direction as far as I can tell.

Allentown, PA

#18 Jan 27, 2013
Lepor wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if Obamacare does.
Yet you support it.
No sense discussing this with someone who supports something they know nothing about.
Chicopee

Danbury, CT

#19 Jan 27, 2013
Lepor wrote:
No, it doesn't.
Do you pay more for health insurance through your job if a co-worker has a handicapped or chronically ill family member?
Do you pay more if a co-worker has high blood pressure that results in a premature delivery of a baby?
If co-worker(s) have type 2 diabetes but don't control their weight?
Here in Ct., cigarettes are somewhere around $9 a pack...$3 dollars of which go to the state and the rest goes to the fed to pay for SCHIPS and other forms of welfare. So, even a 1 pack a day habit generates more money than end of life care would cost in most cases (only 50% of smokers actually get a smoking related disease) over the course of 30 or 40 years.
But what is more troubling is, whether you agree with this or not, that any of us would be willing to allow the government to start monetarily penalizing behavior. Once that door is opened, we won't be able to stop it.
Then, Americans in the groups I mentioned above can also be expected to pay...if type 2 diabetics aren't controlling their weight and diet, or women (or anyone) with high blood pressure aren't watching their weight and salt intake. If people are penalized for alchohol consumption, which can lead to several diseases and contributes to heart failure, injuries and accidents to themselves and others...and so on.
No other country in the world does this, and smokers, in particular, are already paying billions in taxes anually.
If they can penalize one group, they can find a means to penalize us all, so be careful what you wish for.
Lepor

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#20 Jan 28, 2013
LookingToEscape wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you support it.
No sense discussing this with someone who supports something they know nothing about.
Well I suppose you oppose it because you have read the whole bill and understand it completely.
Lepor

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#21 Jan 28, 2013
Chicopee wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it doesn't.
Do you pay more for health insurance through your job if a co-worker has a handicapped or chronically ill family member?
Do you pay more if a co-worker has high blood pressure that results in a premature delivery of a baby?
If co-worker(s) have type 2 diabetes but don't control their weight?
Here in Ct., cigarettes are somewhere around $9 a pack...$3 dollars of which go to the state and the rest goes to the fed to pay for SCHIPS and other forms of welfare. So, even a 1 pack a day habit generates more money than end of life care would cost in most cases (only 50% of smokers actually get a smoking related disease) over the course of 30 or 40 years.
But what is more troubling is, whether you agree with this or not, that any of us would be willing to allow the government to start monetarily penalizing behavior. Once that door is opened, we won't be able to stop it.
Then, Americans in the groups I mentioned above can also be expected to pay...if type 2 diabetics aren't controlling their weight and diet, or women (or anyone) with high blood pressure aren't watching their weight and salt intake. If people are penalized for alchohol consumption, which can lead to several diseases and contributes to heart failure, injuries and accidents to themselves and others...and so on.
No other country in the world does this, and smokers, in particular, are already paying billions in taxes anually.
If they can penalize one group, they can find a means to penalize us all, so be careful what you wish for.
Sorry, those criteria do not apply to me bcuse I am self employed, I'm a small business owner, and because I have only 1 employee I am unable to get a decent plan though my own business.
So yes, rates are higher for those who re not in the enployment pool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paul Ryan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama recovers: He rescues his trade agenda - w... Jun 27 Big Bad Elena K 23
News Paterson mayor invites Paul Ryan to tour 'one o... (Mar '14) Jun 25 herloim 12
News Sessions to House GOP: TPA a Trojan horse for e... Jun 24 spadethetrade 3
News Hawaii Raises Smoking Age to 21, Effective in 2016 Jun 20 Dont Strip My Mind 1
News Andrew Kelly 2 hours ago A bachelor's degree is... Jun 20 Dont Strip My Mind 1
News Fight over Obama trade legislation not finished... Jun 18 Le Jimbo 24
News Hillary Clinton, campaign under fire for not ta... Jun 16 Mothra 39
More from around the web