Libertarian Political Theory and the Tucson Shooting

Jan 13, 2011 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.tnr.com

The slaughter in Tucson hasn't shaken us out of bad political habits. Instead of promoting a sober conversation about the dangers of violent political talk, it has reinforced divisions between left and right.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Obama tells the right to...”

Since: Jun 07

shhhh... STFU, you lost...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I am hopeful that after President Obama’s words last night at the Tucson memorial that people will stop militarizing rhetoric and debate the issues without the vitriol. We owe that much to Christina and all the others that was lost last weekend.
open minded

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

This is strange comming from you since you are the top offender in rhetoric and vitriol.
Have you turned a new page. I hope so
Dr Bill Words

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 13, 2011
 
Mr Beo

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 13, 2011
 
Getflushed

Torrance, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

2

2

1

The Left is always a day late and a spoon short in their attempts to regain ground after immediately and consistently showing their own coarse, murderous natures. It is a sad day in America, as more people listen to Leftist pundits CONTINUE what they think is sly misuse of tragedy, but is so transparent to anyone listening... So childish, so kneejerk... Even their attempts at dominating memorial services are devoid of common decency, whether it be for the six dead in Tucson, the Wellstone memorial, Haiti earthquakes, hurricanes... Anything. I lay the blame at the homosexual influence amongst the Left, who are so deranged they don't know their ass from a hole in the wall.
scout

Albany, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Why should it cause a democratic problem? Americans finally hate Marxist DC politicals and that won't change.
DumpDC

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 13, 2011
 

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

>>>The slaughter in Tucson hasn't shaken us out of bad political habits. Instead of promoting a sober conversation about the dangers of violent political talk, it has reinforced divisions between left and right.<<<

and you did WAY MORE than your share of promoting the divisions with YOUR hate filled lies, smears and inuendos, bill...
right after you apologize to EVERY poster on topix, you should be stripped of your editors status!
An Independent

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

"The slaughter in Tucson hasn’t shaken us out of bad political habits. Instead of promoting a sober conversation about the dangers of violent political talk, it has reinforced divisions between left and right. Even responsible conservatives have dismissed any suggestion that Saturday’s attack is reason enough to condemn the threats of violence that have become standard to the discourse at the extremes of their side of politics."

The slaughter had nothing to do with political divisions in this country. The responsibility for this crime lies at the feet of the mentally disturbed person that pulled the trigger. He wasn't extreme right nor left, he was and is extremely mentally disturbed.

Yet the author of the article attempts to place the blame on the right by stating this:
"More importantly: We have not focused at all on how the militarized rhetoric on the right is tightly connected to our national failure to enact the gun regulations that might have saved lives in Arizona."

What specific "gun regulation" would have saved lives?

Are the proposing doing away with the second amendment?

They have maximum gun regulation in Mexico, so how is that working for them?

""people willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both""
Benjamin Franklin
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 13, 2011
 
Marine Corp Pat wrote:
I am hopeful that after President Obama’s words last night at the Tucson memorial that people will stop militarizing rhetoric and debate the issues without the vitriol. We owe that much to Christina and all the others that was lost last weekend.
So to the extent that I become uncivil in my discourse of politics which violate my rights under the constitution, the shooting in Arizona was my fault. My fault because of the loud, rude, manner in which I sometimes stand up for my rights. If you listen to Obama you would think that was the cause of the shooting was uncivil discourse by members of society instead of the violence of a psychologically deranged individual.

Of course if asked Obama will say he was just talking about hate speech on the internet but what he is really doing is trying to direct comments to the conservative right. This all the more ironic when you consider that the shooter was a left wing nut job not a right wing nut job.

After the shooting I foolishly jumped to conclusions and immediately blamed the guy with the gun. The media without know the facts blamed Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Sara Palin. Obama has blamed uncivil discourse.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

open minded wrote:
This is strange comming from you since you are the top offender in rhetoric and vitriol.
Have you turned a new page. I hope so
so a rightie immediately starts in with the hateful rhetoric...lol

do you read your posts before posting them? just curious
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Getflushed wrote:
The Left is always a day late and a spoon short in their attempts to regain ground after immediately and consistently showing their own coarse, murderous natures. It is a sad day in America, as more people listen to Leftist pundits CONTINUE what they think is sly misuse of tragedy, but is so transparent to anyone listening... So childish, so kneejerk... Even their attempts at dominating memorial services are devoid of common decency, whether it be for the six dead in Tucson, the Wellstone memorial, Haiti earthquakes, hurricanes... Anything. I lay the blame at the homosexual influence amongst the Left, who are so deranged they don't know their ass from a hole in the wall.
insane, bigoted, and typically irrational...remind us of how it's 'OK' for the tea partiers to instruct their followers to spread the word that the shooter was allegedly (and falsely) a "leftist," wouldja?
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

carey529 wrote:
>>>The slaughter in Tucson hasn't shaken us out of bad political habits. Instead of promoting a sober conversation about the dangers of violent political talk, it has reinforced divisions between left and right.<<<
and you did WAY MORE than your share of promoting the divisions with YOUR hate filled lies, smears and inuendos, bill...
right after you apologize to EVERY poster on topix, you should be stripped of your editors status!
another typically vengeful wingnut blathers his hatred against those talking about cutting back on hateful rhetoric

great day for irony, innit? lol
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
So to the extent that I become uncivil in my discourse of politics which violate my rights under the constitution, the shooting in Arizona was my fault. My fault because of the loud, rude, manner in which I sometimes stand up for my rights. If you listen to Obama you would think that was the cause of the shooting was uncivil discourse by members of society instead of the violence of a psychologically deranged individual.
Of course if asked Obama will say he was just talking about hate speech on the internet but what he is really doing is trying to direct comments to the conservative right. This all the more ironic when you consider that the shooter was a left wing nut job not a right wing nut job.
After the shooting I foolishly jumped to conclusions and immediately blamed the guy with the gun. The media without know the facts blamed Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and Sara Palin. Obama has blamed uncivil discourse.
one after the other, all demanding vengeance, all blaming obama or the 'left,' all insisting its not their fault, etc. etc.

amazing how DEFENSIVE you all sound, too..
Getflushed

Fremont, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
insane, bigoted, and typically irrational...remind us of how it's 'OK' for the tea partiers to instruct their followers to spread the word that the shooter was allegedly (and falsely) a "leftist," wouldja?
Listen dickmouth... It was Leftists starting and continuing the virulence within minutes of the shooting. Now, you're going to drown in it.
Robert

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

1

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
one after the other, all demanding vengeance, all blaming obama or the 'left,' all insisting its not their fault, etc. etc.
amazing how DEFENSIVE you all sound, too..
Your so perceptive, exactly on point. Of course I sound defensive, I see it as the fault of the nut with the gun. What I never understand is why you on the left don't, you will find fault with everything but the criminal.

“"I'm A Great American!"”

Since: Sep 08

Obama Nation! USA! USA!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 13, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

carey529 wrote:
>>>The slaughter in Tucson hasn't shaken us out of bad political habits. Instead of promoting a sober conversation about the dangers of violent political talk, it has reinforced divisions between left and right.<<<
and you did WAY MORE than your share of promoting the divisions with YOUR hate filled lies, smears and inuendos, bill...
right after you apologize to EVERY poster on topix, you should be stripped of your editors status!
You mean that? Stripped of his "editors status"?

Censor everybody who disagrees with you? Wouldn't it be better if you honored Bill's 1st Amendment rights & simply ignored him?

You don't want people thinking you're some sort of Nazi, do you?
scout

Albany, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 13, 2011
 
We HAVE to talk TOUGHER and walk straighter to get the Marxists out of DC political positions.

We've just begun this battle.
scout

Albany, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 13, 2011
 
And going back is NOT an option!

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jan 13, 2011
 
Gun control talk is vitriol !!

The 2nd amendment prohibits GOVT from regulating guns. That is its only purpose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Govt is always our worst enemy. Make govt your servant, not your master.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of49
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••