Openings in Pa. row offices draw inte...

Openings in Pa. row offices draw interest

There are 11 comments on the Star-Gazette story from Jul 10, 2011, titled Openings in Pa. row offices draw interest. In it, Star-Gazette reports that:

Openings in Pa. row offices draw interest Comments Peter Jackson HARRISBURG -- Pennsylvania's statewide row offices have long been career springboards for ambitious politicians like those already lining up for the April primary.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Star-Gazette.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1 Jul 10, 2011
I had to look up what a "row office was. So for the many on here probably unfamiliar with the term, I offer this:
The traditional county distribution of power is characterized by a division of administrative responsibilities between the county governing board and separately elected offices. These separately elected offices are commonly known as “row offices” due to their appearance in a row on organizational charts or election ballots and the relative autonomy of each office from the central board. This autonomy or independence is built on their legal status and accountability to the electorate. Row offices are most common in commission- and board-structured counties, but they are also found in all other forms. In non-commission counties, row offices are usually fewer in number and may have less authority. In charter counties, row offices may be appointed by the board or elected executive.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_...
Lance Winslow

Orinda, CA

#2 Jul 10, 2011
Anybody willing to live in Philadelphia has to have some sort of ulterior motive.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Jul 10, 2011
Lance Winslow wrote:
Anybody willing to live in Philadelphia has to have some sort of ulterior motive.
Here's a math question for you.

X amount of cars are produced by 9 workers in 9 days. If the production ratio is 1 and 1/2 per 1 and 1/2 worker per day how many cars is X?

This was on my 10th grade algebra test.
Lance Winslow

Oakland, CA

#5 Jul 10, 2011
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a math question for you.
X amount of cars are produced by 9 workers in 9 days. If the production ratio is 1 and 1/2 per 1 and 1/2 worker per day how many cars is X?
In Philly, the answer is none; all 9 failed their urinalysis.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#6 Jul 10, 2011
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>In Philly, the answer is none; all 9 failed their urinalysis.
My suspicions have proved me correct. 15 answers from 6 different people in 3 days and one person got it right.
Filthy_Rat

Allentown, PA

#7 Jul 10, 2011
DNF wrote:
I had to look up what a "row office was. So for the many on here probably unfamiliar with the term, I offer this:
The traditional county distribution of power is characterized by a division of administrative responsibilities between the county governing board and separately elected offices. These separately elected offices are commonly known as “row offices” due to their appearance in a row on organizational charts or election ballots and the relative autonomy of each office from the central board. This autonomy or independence is built on their legal status and accountability to the electorate. Row offices are most common in commission- and board-structured counties, but they are also found in all other forms. In non-commission counties, row offices are usually fewer in number and may have less authority. In charter counties, row offices may be appointed by the board or elected executive.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_origin_...
In other words, more unnecessary, expensive, bureaucratic bloat that allows parasitic leeches to hire their friends and relatives.

Cool, got it!
Filthy_Rat

Allentown, PA

#8 Jul 10, 2011
Lance Winslow wrote:
<quoted text>In Philly, the answer is none; all 9 failed their urinalysis.
lol
Filthy_Rat

Allentown, PA

#9 Jul 10, 2011
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a math question for you.
The ratios cancel out.

1 car per day per worker would be 9 cars per day. At 9 days, that's 81 cars total. However, they don't make 1 car per day, they make 1.5 cars per day. So at 1.5 cars per day per worker, that's 13.5 cars per day (9 x 1.5). Therefore 9 x 13.5 = 121.5 cars total.

However, it takes 1.5 workers to make 1 car, not just 1 worker, so that's equivalent to 6 workers per day working. At 6 workers making 1.5 cars per day, 9 cars are produced each day. At 9 days, 9 x 9 = 81 total cars produced.

This is the logical, non-computational way of solving a problem. This type of practical thinking is rarely - if at all - taught in the U.S.

If using algebra, you would have (1.5/1.5)*(9)*(9), and hence the ratios cancel out, effectively equaling 1.
Filthy_Rat

Allentown, PA

#10 Jul 10, 2011
Filthy_Rat wrote:
<quoted text>
The ratios cancel out.
1 car per day per worker would be 9 cars per day. At 9 days, that's 81 cars total. However, they don't make 1 car per day, they make 1.5 cars per day. So at 1.5 cars per day per worker, that's 13.5 cars per day (9 x 1.5). Therefore 9 x 13.5 = 121.5 cars total.
However, it takes 1.5 workers to make 1 car, not just 1 worker, so that's equivalent to 6 workers per day working. At 6 workers making 1.5 cars per day, 9 cars are produced each day. At 9 days, 9 x 9 = 81 total cars produced.
This is the logical, non-computational way of solving a problem. This type of practical thinking is rarely - if at all - taught in the U.S.
If using algebra, you would have (1.5/1.5)*(9)*(9), and hence the ratios cancel out, effectively equaling 1.
Well, maybe I should clarify myself. I didn't use X as a variable when I said using algebra, but that equation is set equal to X.

;)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Jul 10, 2011
Filthy_Rat wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words, more unnecessary, expensive, bureaucratic bloat that allows parasitic leeches to hire their friends and relatives.
Cool, got it!
Yup. And you said more concisely than Idid. My thanks.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#12 Jul 10, 2011
Filthy_Rat wrote:
<quoted text>
The ratios cancel out.
And now we know why the country has a several TRILLION dollar debt. My thanks.

The man who developed the Neiman Code for Braille in advanced physics says its 54.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Patrick Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GOP Shies Away From Obamacare Repeal (Aug '14) Aug '17 Tantaros Civil Suit 14
News US House backs new sanctions against North Korea May '17 Bottom Line 7
News Republicans contend with Trump factor among His... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Kisses1047 6
News Marco Rubio and Patrick Murphy cower, Pam Bondi... (Sep '16) Sep '16 indict PAM BONDI 1
News Donald Trump's candidacy could mean trouble for... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Mothra 9
News Self-Funders Fight for Florida's 18th District (Aug '16) Aug '16 Le Jimbo 1
News Reid: 'Absolute fraud' Grayson should drop Fla.... (Jul '16) Jul '16 gwww 6
More from around the web