Sleep aids' labels will warn of risk ...

Sleep aids' labels will warn of risk for odd behavior

There are 21 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 15, 2007, titled Sleep aids' labels will warn of risk for odd behavior. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Under pressure from the federal government, drug makers are revising labels on Ambien, Lunesta and other popular sleep aids to warn that the pills may result in driving, eating and even having sex while ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robin

Clermont, FL

#1 Mar 15, 2007
Re: Sleep aids' labels will warn of risk for odd behavior
I had been on Ambien for many years, and took it on nightly bases (as prescribed). When I was first prescribed Ambien I had many episodes of sleep-eating, which in time subsided. I was not informed by my doctor that sleep-eating may be a side effect of any of the medications I was taking.
Then I had a horrifying experience one night when I awoke approximately seven miles from my home a little after 3am - not knowing where I was. All I knew it that is was very dark, no lights could be seen, I was one a two lane road, nothing looked familiar, and I was driving. Totally confused and scarred I immediately pulled off on the side of the road to try to gather my thoughts as to what was going on. I had on my night clothes – no shoes, but I did have my purse and thankfully my cell phone was in my purse. I was so frightened! Where was my husband? Here I am alone, in the dark and it was after 3am according to the car clock. I called my husband first at home, then on his cell phone – then at home again and received no answer. Total terror set in! Where was my husband? Where was I? I called 911 on my cell phone not knowing they would be able to trace my whereabouts via my cell phone, but thankfully they did. I don’t think I ever shook so bad in my entire life! I was terrified, confused, embarrassed, humiliated, but thankful that no one, including myself was injured or killed. I told my husband not to discuss what had happed with anyone – not only because of the embarrassment of what had happened, but in fear of people thinking (including myself) I was losing it – going crazy or maybe the start of Alzheimer. My husband did insist that I discuss the incident with my doctor – she informed to stop taking Ambien. Since I stopped taking Ambien I have had no other incidents, and we no longer hide the car keys at night. I really appreciate you running this story, and getting the word out about the side effect of this medication. I just wonder how many cases go unreported due embarrassment, or not understanding it could be a side effect of a medication they may be taking.

Sincerely,

Robin
Doug Getslow

Merritt Island, FL

#2 Mar 15, 2007
Similar thing happened to me. I was taking Ambien and one morning at just after 2AM my wife found me walking out of Teasers strip club. She slapped me and it woke me up. I too was disorientedand had no recollection where I was or where all my money went. It was very scary.
Sassy

Belleview, FL

#3 Mar 15, 2007
Having sex while driving!!?... Surely there is joke in there somewhere.
Fred Sanford

Merritt Island, FL

#4 Mar 15, 2007
My neighbor, he works 2nd shift, and one day he came home and found me in bed with his wife. I told him it must be the ambien.........
Doug Getslow

Merritt Island, FL

#5 Mar 16, 2007
Fred you are funny. I have not had that kind of experience, but Itake tylenol PM and I sometimes Walk to the kitchen and urinate in the fridge while asleep. I only know it has happened in the Am when I open it for breakfast.
james poole

Cleveland, OH

#6 Mar 16, 2007
is this to say, people who've had these unusual side effects, experienced "black outs"?
james poole

Cleveland, OH

#7 Mar 16, 2007
is this to say people who've had these unusual side effects experienced black outs?
james poole

Cleveland, OH

#8 Mar 16, 2007
Is this to say people who've experienced these unusual side effects experienced black outs?
Citizen X

United States

#9 Mar 16, 2007
I think there's an echo in here.
Jenna

Omaha, NE

#10 May 10, 2007
I too have been horrified of what ambien does to me and what i dont remember doing on its dose, although nothing else but that can help me sleep... did you have any other symptoms of ambien and what did you switch to???(please email me with any words of wisom, im desperate please help me, its [email protected] ......please
;sdr
Robin wrote:
Re: Sleep aids' labels will warn of risk for odd behavior
I had been on Ambien for many years, and took it on nightly bases (as prescribed). When I was first prescribed Ambien I had many episodes of sleep-eating, which in time subsided. I was not informed by my doctor that sleep-eating may be a side effect of any of the medications I was taking.
Then I had a horrifying experience one night when I awoke approximately seven miles from my home a little after 3am - not knowing where I was. All I knew it that is was very dark, no lights could be seen, I was one a two lane road, nothing looked familiar, and I was driving. Totally confused and scarred I immediately pulled off on the side of the road to try to gather my thoughts as to what was going on. I had on my night clothes – no shoes, but I did have my purse and thankfully my cell phone was in my purse. I was so frightened! Where was my husband? Here I am alone, in the dark and it was after 3am according to the car clock. I called my husband first at home, then on his cell phone – then at home again and received no answer. Total terror set in! Where was my husband? Where was I? I called 911 on my cell phone not knowing they would be able to trace my whereabouts via my cell phone, but thankfully they did. I don’t think I ever shook so bad in my entire life! I was terrified, confused, embarrassed, humiliated, but thankful that no one, including myself was injured or killed. I told my husband not to discuss what had happed with anyone – not only because of the embarrassment of what had happened, but in fear of people thinking (including myself) I was losing it – going crazy or maybe the start of Alzheimer. My husband did insist that I discuss the incident with my doctor – she informed to stop taking Ambien. Since I stopped taking Ambien I have had no other incidents, and we no longer hide the car keys at night. I really appreciate you running this story, and getting the word out about the side effect of this medication. I just wonder how many cases go unreported due embarrassment, or not understanding it could be a side effect of a medication they may be taking.
Sincerely,
Robin
Dina

Eitting, Germany

#11 Jun 14, 2007
Jenna wrote:
I too have been horrified of what ambien does to me and what i dont remember doing on its dose, although nothing else but that can help me sleep... did you have any other symptoms of ambien and what did you switch to???(please email me with any words of wisom, im desperate please help me, its [email protected] ......please
;sdr <quoted text>
Nothing will help. I am a victim myself and sleep 240 minutes each night-went to a sleep lab

“Honor & Learn fr. the Elderly ”

Since: Jun 07

Somewhere in Barnes & Noble

#12 Jun 16, 2007
To all of you~These incidents must have been truly frightening! I am sorry this happened to you. I have taken Ambien once a month or so but have not had any side effects other than being incredibly groggy and disoriented in the morning. Perhaps this should also be pulled from the market or at least the recipients given some VERY good information upon recieving the prescription.
ken

AOL

#13 Jul 16, 2007
james poole wrote:
Is this to say people who've experienced these unusual side effects experienced black outs?
One morning i woke up with a vague idea that I had fertilized the front lawn. I went outside and found a few ant mound like piles of fertilizer pellets.I had apparently gone to the tool shed, and in the dark loaded a push fertilizer spreader. Then, pushed it to the front and fertilized the entire front lawn . I woke in the same thing I had gone to sleep. Can you imagine waking to realize you were out on your front lawn at 2:a.m. pushing a fertilizer spreader in your underwear?Another morning I awoke to find a brown something all over my sheets and body. I realized upon tasting that it was chocolate.
ken

AOL

#14 Jul 16, 2007
Call it what you want a NITE OUT, a brown out,or a freak out.
Terri

Portland, OR

#16 Jul 21, 2007
Last night I took 2mg of Lunesta after an evening out with a couple vodka drinks. I thought they weren't going to work, so I took my usual 300mg of Seroquel. I remember going to my steady's home, his dog, then fell asleep while acting awake. We made love, then I began acting badly, I fear. My next memory is being in his truck and he's asking me to sit next to him (as usual). I for no good reason would not sit next to him. That's the last I remember until waking this morning, suddenly remembering and feeling devastated. That happened several times until I was finally able to stay awake at 11am.

I am devastated. I haven't heard from him today though I researched Lunesta; this can happen and I sent a second email with information from Medscape and a sincere apology. I am chemically sensitive and often have adverse affects to medications, which are chemicals themselves. I don't know how to redeem myself. And I am angry that my pharmacist didn't explain the dos and don'ts with this medicine. It hurt my life. I feel anguished and yes, frightened. Fortunately I was with someone when it happened.
Jocelyn

Saint Petersburg, FL

#17 Jul 28, 2007
so does strange things really happen with ambien? i just got my prescription filled and am taking it for the first time 2nite.
Ann

Louisville, KY

#19 Aug 22, 2007
I was taking ambien until yesterday when I found out that I had been out driving in the middle of the night, calling people and leaving strange messages, and emailing bizzare messages to people in the middle of the night. I am embarrassed by all these things but horrified that it all happened with no memory at all. I could have killed someone or myself driving- thank God I didn't have my children with me.
chain

Manhasset, NY

#20 Jan 11, 2008
PLEASE refrain from the "this should also be pulled from the market..." comments. I too do not actually get to ENJOY quarts of ice cream consumed during Ambien episodes, but it is an absolute GODSEND. Arriving from work after 12:30AM, sleep by any reasonable hour is totally out of question without this miracle drug.
Anthony

Czech Republic

#23 Sep 28, 2013
Canada Pharmacy ONLINEMEDOX. COM will always be the best pharmacy for me, whether I order prescription or non-prescription. Never failed me in delivery and quality of products.
Welby

Germany

#24 Sep 29, 2013
I have ordered prescription drugs (without a prescription) online from XTOP24 .COM about two years ago, and was pleased with the speed and quality of service.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my medication. The meds is expensive, but there is a generic version available overseas.
I love the idea of taking responsibility for my own health (or lack of health) and skipping the bureaucracy... to say nothing of having to drive to the doctor, wait in line, yet again, to get a prescription refilled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patrick Kennedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Peter Lucas: Congressman Kennedy launches Texas... Sep '17 Laredo 1
News FBI's attempt to show Clinton probe was nonpart... (Aug '16) Aug '16 southern at heart 32
News Former Rep. Patrick Kennedy: Stop calling Trump... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Captain Yesterday 63
News Ex-US Rep. Patrick Kennedy and Wife Welcome New... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 3
News Iraqis find 3 more mass graves in formerly IS-h... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Ritual Habitual 1
News Patrick Kennedy memoir takes hard look at famil... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News Making Information Power: Psychiatrists Unveil ... (May '15) May '15 HumanSpirit 1
More from around the web