Former Rep Patrick Kennedy leads campaign against legal pot

Jan 6, 2013 Full story: WTAX-AM Springfield 6

Retired Rhode Island Congressman Patrick Kennedy is taking aim at what he sees as knee-jerk support for marijuana legalization among his fellow liberals, in a project that carries special meaning for the self-confessed former Oxycontin addict.

Full Story
Malcolm Kyle

Utrecht, Netherlands

#1 Jan 6, 2013
Here follows an extract from "Notes on Democracy" by Henry Louis Mencken, written in 1926, during alcohol prohibition (1919-1933):

The Prohibitionists, when they foisted their brummagem cure-all upon the country under cover of the war hysteria, gave out that their advocacy of it was based upon a Christian yearning to abate drunkenness, and so abolish crime, poverty and disease. They preached a [crime, poverty and disease free] millennium, and no doubt convinced hundreds of thousands of naive and sentimental persons, not themselves Puritans, nor even democrats.

That millennium, as everyone knows, has failed to come in. Not only are crime, poverty and disease undiminished, but drunkenness itself, if the police statistics are to be believed, has greatly increased. The land rocks with the scandal. Prohibition has made the use of alcohol devilish and even fashionable, and so vastly augmented the number of users. The young of both sexes, mainly innocent of the cup under license, now take to it almost unanimously.

In brief, Prohibition has not only failed to work the benefits that its proponents promised in 1917; it has brought in so many new evils that even the mob has turned against it. But do the Prohibitionists admit the fact frankly, and repudiate their original nonsense? They do not. On the contrary, they keep on demanding more and worse enforcement statutes that is to say, more and worse devices for harassing and persecuting their opponents.

The more obvious the failure becomes, the more shamelessly they exhibit their genuine motives. In plain words, what moves them is the psychological aberration called sadism. They lust to inflict inconvenience, discomfort, and, whenever possible, disgrace upon the persons they hate which is to say, upon everyone who is free from their barbarous theological superstitions, and is having a better time in the world than they are.

They cannot stop the use of alcohol, nor even appreciably diminish it, but they can badger and annoy everyone who seeks to use it decently, and they can fill the jails with men taken for purely artificial offences, and they can get satisfaction thereby for the Puritan yearning to browbeat and injure, to torture and terrorize, to punish and humiliate all who show any sign of being happy. And all this they can do with a safe line of policemen and judges in front of them; always they can do it without personal risk.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#2 Jan 6, 2013
Kennedy faults the U.S. government for allocating too much of its $25 billion drug control budget to law enforcement rather than to treatment and prevention.

"Yes, the drug war has been a failure, but let's look at the science and let's look at what works. And let's not just throw out the baby with the bathwater," Kennedy, who served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2011, said in a telephone interview.

President Barack Obama said in an interview with ABC News last month that it did not make sense for the federal government to "focus on recreational drug users in a state that has already said that, under state law, that's legal."

Good to hear.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#3 Jan 6, 2013
America is not a free country,if u believe this u are more of a fool then the dam politicians
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

#4 Jan 6, 2013
Forced 'treatment' for those caught using a harmless plant? Get real! I think kennedy has been indoctrinated with 12 step bs!!
Afro-head

Germany

#5 Apr 30, 2013
I found this medicine to be very effective. Of course, everyone's tolerance to pain medication is different, but for me, when Tylenol #3, Vicodin, Naproxen Sodium, and Ibuprofen didn't seem to help even in the slightest bit, but tramadol from RXAIRSTOREPILLS.INFO was a great relief for me. I am grateful to find something that helped my chronic pain problem.
oh yeah

Lexington Park, MD

#6 Apr 30, 2013
Nothing more sanctimonious than a former addict.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patrick Kennedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
apa 2014 (Jul '14) Jul '14 humanSpirit 1
Mentally ill get lost in health system 'wasteland' (Jun '14) Jul '14 Edward J Cejka 6
apa 2014 (Jun '14) Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
Kennedy to Obama: Pot has changed (Jan '14) Jan '14 Cordwainer Trout 5
FDA Says Pills Can Cause 'Sleep-Driving' (Mar '07) Oct '13 Harley 15
9NEWS - U.S./World - Article - FDA: Ambien can ... (Mar '07) Oct '13 Durant 9
Sleep aids' labels will warn of risk for odd be... (Mar '07) Oct '13 Prent 21
More from around the web