Source: Indiana's Evan Bayh to retire...

Source: Indiana's Evan Bayh to retire from Senate

There are 14 comments on the LA Daily News story from Feb 15, 2010, titled Source: Indiana's Evan Bayh to retire from Senate. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Sen. Evan Bayh, an Indiana Democrat who was on Barack Obama's list of vice presidential prospects in 2008, is ready to announce he won't seek a third term, saying he doesn't want to be in Congress any more.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Debbie

United States

#1 Feb 15, 2010
Congress is nasty. And particianship has caused American to come to a standstill. Bayh is a blue dog that I say...good riddance!
Concerned

AOL

#2 Feb 15, 2010
One less 'rat!!!
Carl Lakewood

Bellflower, CA

#3 Feb 15, 2010
Bayh has too much Class to be associated the Reid and Pelosi.

What a fine man and a fine example of a principled, patriotic, Democratic Senator.
Bartman

Reseda, CA

#4 Feb 15, 2010
In a sinking ship,the rat's are the first to bail.
West Hollywood

Rosemead, CA

#5 Feb 15, 2010
This is all part of the money base behind Bayh. It goes like this:

A. Evan, you are likely to lose so you need to leave.
B. What am I going to do?
A. Well paid consultant, of course. We take care of our people.
B. Ok, I guess we have a better chance of winning with a brand new name.
A. What are you going to tell the public.
B. I'll tell them I don't like partisan politics or I want to spend time with my family. lol
George W Bush

United States

#6 Feb 15, 2010
Ruin our lives then retire on a pension we pay for ..Fire them all lying cowardly sacks of sh*t
Move on now

Rosemead, CA

#7 Feb 15, 2010
Carl Lakewood wrote:
Bayh has too much Class to be associated the Reid and Pelosi.
What a fine man and a fine example of a principled, patriotic, Democratic Senator.
He only got elected because of his "daddy".
HEAD IN ASS HAS NO EYES

United States

#8 Feb 15, 2010
Another one bites the dust!!! Great Job Obuma, the Dynasty falling apart!!!!!

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#9 Feb 15, 2010
Looks like another liberal saw the writing on the wall and decided to bite the dust.
Ethics

United States

#10 Feb 15, 2010
Conflicts of interest with his wife?
----------
Wikipedia:
His wife Susan Bayh has been described by the Fort Wayne, Indiana Journal Gazette as a "professional board member" or "professional director", having been a director of fourteen corporations since 1994 and being a director of eight as of 2006.[17] The Journal Gazette reported that since Susan Bayh began her career as a corporate director,“Sen. Evan Bayh [has] cast more than 3,000 votes, including some on issues of keen interest to the pharmaceutical, broadcast, insurance, food-distribution and finance industries",[18] Since 2003, Sen. Bayh has prohibited his staff from having lobbying contacts with his wife or representatives of the companies she directs. Mrs. Bayh makes very few public statements and has not commented on any perceived conflicts of interest, declining to be interviewed by the Journal Gazette. Sen. Bayh, however, has insisted his wife’s ties have had no bearing on his Congressional actions.“The reality is I don’t even know the people who run the vast majority of her companies. I’ve never even spoken to them,” Bayh told the Journal Gazette.“The reality is, we don’t talk about stuff that she’s involved with.”[18]
El Sereno

United States

#11 Feb 15, 2010
Move on now wrote:
<quoted text>
He only got elected because of his "daddy".
So true. Just like Bush. It's time for a 3rd party.
Rick Rogers

Bellflower, CA

#12 Feb 15, 2010
He won't be missed.

He never chanted "All hail the Obama" while walking the Halls of Congress like Boxer and Feinstein.
UR notsosmart

Bangkok, Thailand

#13 Feb 15, 2010
The "change"people really want.Impeach NOBAMA.
M I Fooled

Los Angeles, CA

#14 Feb 16, 2010
Ok, I may be confused but-I did alot of reading on Bayh, and there is irony to the fact that he gave his decision following Reid's change/reduction of the jobs bill. I believe that in the jobs bill the Democrats put alot of pork and the Republicans just went along adding their job/tax break compromises. Harry then looked at the bill and came to the revelation that the Republican's were going to use the pork against them. Therefore, Harry cut the bill from $85 Billion to 15 Billion. It is all about getting elected (for Reid, Pelosi and many others), these people are incapable at this point of accomplishing anything-just like our legislature is. Party against party-constituents be damned. Bayh did a couple things which makes some statements above contradictory to pulling out for Obama's benefit:
He announced 24 hours or less from the needed cut off for the Democrats to announce their candidate for his senate seat for 2010, as it stands now a retaurant owner has been working for some time on signatures and she should be ready for the 12:00 deadline on Tuesday 2/16/10. I do not believe the Democrats have a candidate and signatures required to add that candidate by the deadline. It has been known that Bayh was not happy with the spending, the stimulus bills, however I do think he voted for the healthcare. His obections (other than Reid, Pelosi) were:
Controlling the spending/debt
Working on the economy/jobs bill
Working on education
So far these have been bandaids to the administration and Congress (in their so called stimulus bills and only a temp.fix as we are seeing in Ca.). As a decline to state and more right than left-I felt something here might be logical, but with the way things are going I too am a skeptic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Patrick Kennedy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Making Information Power: Psychiatrists Unveil ... May '15 HumanSpirit 1
News Ex-US Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. released from fede... Mar '15 novus ordo seclorum 7
News apa 2014 (Jul '14) Jul '14 humanSpirit 1
News Mentally ill get lost in health system 'wasteland' (Jun '14) Jul '14 Edward J Cejka 6
News apa 2014 (Jun '14) Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
News Kennedy to Obama: Pot has changed (Jan '14) Jan '14 Cordwainer Trout 5
News FDA Says Pills Can Cause 'Sleep-Driving' (Mar '07) Oct '13 Harley 15
More from around the web