Gfk Poll: Opposition to Afghan war gr...

Gfk Poll: Opposition to Afghan war grows while many welcome end to US combat role in Iraq

There are 149 comments on the WHNT-TV Huntsville story from Aug 20, 2010, titled Gfk Poll: Opposition to Afghan war grows while many welcome end to US combat role in Iraq. In it, WHNT-TV Huntsville reports that:

A majority of Americans see no end in sight in Afghanistan, and nearly six in 10 oppose the nine-year-old war as President Barack Obama sends tens of thousands more troops to the fight, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT-TV Huntsville.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
McCarthy was right

United States

#1 Aug 20, 2010
I thought the left called the Afghan conflict "the right war."

You mean they don't support it any more? I'm shocked, I tell you...shocked.

-JRobert
Chylloh

Clarksville, TN

#2 Aug 20, 2010
The problem with this is, the left doesn't know what "right" means.
Bestworking

Birmingham, AL

#3 Aug 20, 2010
McCarthy was right wrote:
-JRobert
Don't like the things the demos say? Wait until tomorrow, it'll change and they'll say they didn't lie, they only misspoke or made unfortunate statements. Of course their stance will change the day after that, and after they've muddied the water it will all be Bush's fault.

Since: Dec 08

Kerrville, TX

#4 Aug 20, 2010
It is OK to lose a war if you are a republican. It is NOT OK if you are a democrat. In fact the democrats fought for our defeat while Bush was in office and now Obama is being forced by the far left to end the war no matter what. So what is Obama going to do about this dilemma. Only time will tell but with Obamas history of degrading America I am sure that whatever he does will not be in the best interest for America.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

United States

#5 Aug 20, 2010
End the War, Maggot Obama!

“Truth to Power!”

United States

#6 Aug 20, 2010
One of Maggot Obama Durty secrets in 2009: Less than 100 Al-qaidi in Afghanistan!

Where is the Anti-War left? On their knees, worshiping their War Monger Messiah!

“Truth to Power!”

United States

#7 Aug 20, 2010
Maggot Obama Durty secret 2010: Less than 50 Al-qaidi in Afghanistan!

Yet the Maggot Obama sends in more troops? What an Idiot!

“READ. FACT CHECK. VOTE.”

Since: Nov 09

Fayetteville, AR

#8 Aug 20, 2010
McCarthy was right wrote:
-JRobert
It was the right war...nine years ago. We were looking for the training camps used by the 9/11 terrorists. We didn't have the manpower then and now they aren't there anymore. Now we're fighting Taliban which isn't our fight. Afghanistan has become our Vietnam and we need to get out.
LOL

Bradenton, FL

#9 Aug 20, 2010
obama had to wait until brfore the Nov. election campaigns started up to pull "combat troops" out of Iraq.

sooooooo, he has to save the Afgan war pull out until the Prez. election comes up.

Hey, who cares, another trillion US dollars in Afganhistan and obama can buy another hundred or so hearts and minds......for a while.
acorn obama

Tampa, FL

#10 Aug 20, 2010
and this coming from an presidunce odumba controlled media - and is a liberal ap poll!

meaning things are even worse than this poll suggests!!!

the mistake is odumba not pulling out ALL troops like he promised just after the success of the Bush surge!!! and then, like an idiot, odumba lied and is sending an additional 30,000 young American troops into his afghan war!

odumba LIED AMERICANS DIED

odumba IS CORRUPT AMERICA IS BANKRUPT
acorn obama

Tampa, FL

#11 Aug 20, 2010
THERE IS NO END TO THE IRAQ WAR WHEN PRESIDUNCE odumba IS KEEPING 56,000 YOUNG AMERICAN TROOPS IN HIS MSULIM FRIENDLY MURDERING FIELDS!!!
hopeandfaith

Laconia, TN

#12 Aug 20, 2010
Keri22421 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the right war...nine years ago. We were looking for the training camps used by the 9/11 terrorists. We didn't have the manpower then and now they aren't there anymore. Now we're fighting Taliban which isn't our fight. Afghanistan has become our Vietnam and we need to get out.
I sooooo agree with you. There was no reason to put boots on the ground...air strikes, yes...make it impossible to set up camps. We seem to repeat our failure in realizing that war has changed....Do you think the Allies thought about civilian deaths when we were at war with a country? Now, we limit ourselves to only going so far to win...just like Vietnam....It does a disservice to the men and women on the front. Afghanistan and Iraq will be in chaos when we leave, just like Vietnam. There will be a blood bath whenever we leave, be it now, or twenty years from now. We under estimated the culture, the loyalty to individual sects and the mindset of the people we are trying to help. I wonder if anything of lasting value will be seen after our troops pull out.
Richard Bruce Cheney

Brooksville, FL

#13 Aug 20, 2010
The profits from war rebuilding efforts in Iraq are coming along superbly thanks to the bottomless U.S. Treasury from 2001 to 2008.
I fondly recall folks putting the nozzle in the gashole to the tune of nearly $4.00 bucks a gallon.

War is good business.

http://www.costofwar.com
defeat all dems

Chippewa Falls, WI

#14 Aug 20, 2010
this is why this country can count on just a few to do the ''dirty deeds'' needed to secure our security... the total volunteer force knows and understands what it takes to make for a peaceful world while most americans eat and enjoy the most prosperous country in the world...
defeat all dems

Chippewa Falls, WI

#15 Aug 20, 2010
hopeandfaith wrote:
<quoted text>I sooooo agree with you. There was no reason to put boots on the ground...air strikes, yes...make it impossible to set up camps. We seem to repeat our failure in realizing that war has changed....Do you think the Allies thought about civilian deaths when we were at war with a country? Now, we limit ourselves to only going so far to win...just like Vietnam....It does a disservice to the men and women on the front. Afghanistan and Iraq will be in chaos when we leave, just like Vietnam. There will be a blood bath whenever we leave, be it now, or twenty years from now. We under estimated the culture, the loyalty to individual sects and the mindset of the people we are trying to help. I wonder if anything of lasting value will be seen after our troops pull out.
if this moron prez does a clintonesqu thing and leaves afghanastan like billy boy did in somalia we will have an even larger base of operations for the taliban/al queda/democrats to run their terrorist operations fm...

Fayetteville, AR

#16 Aug 20, 2010
hopeandfaith wrote:
<quoted text>I sooooo agree with you. There was no reason to put boots on the ground...air strikes, yes...make it impossible to set up camps. We seem to repeat our failure in realizing that war has changed....Do you think the Allies thought about civilian deaths when we were at war with a country? Now, we limit ourselves to only going so far to win...just like Vietnam....It does a disservice to the men and women on the front. Afghanistan and Iraq will be in chaos when we leave, just like Vietnam. There will be a blood bath whenever we leave, be it now, or twenty years from now. We under estimated the culture, the loyalty to individual sects and the mindset of the people we are trying to help. I wonder if anything of lasting value will be seen after our troops pull out.
Not to mention that historically nobody wins in Afghanistan. They should look at it from a new angle. An air war makes much more sense than ground troops.

Fayetteville, AR

#17 Aug 20, 2010
defeat all dems wrote:
this is why this country can count on just a few to do the ''dirty deeds'' needed to secure our security... the total volunteer force knows and understands what it takes to make for a peaceful world while most americans eat and enjoy the most prosperous country in the world...
We all understand their sacrifice, some of us more than others. That is why we don't want their efforts WASTED. Bring them home. Troops in Afghanistan isn't keeping us safe.
defeat all dems

Chippewa Falls, WI

#18 Aug 20, 2010
Keri22421 wrote:
<quoted text>
We all understand their sacrifice, some of us more than others. That is why we don't want their efforts WASTED. Bring them home. Troops in Afghanistan isn't keeping us safe.
maybe we should leave that ''sacrifice'' choise up to the ones that are making it...to ''arm chair'' decide what they actually face is only second guessing..
defeat all dems

Chippewa Falls, WI

#19 Aug 20, 2010
Keri22421 wrote:
<quoted text>
i really wonder if in fact most americans really understand the ''scrifice'' our sons and daughters make...
Ed Nugent

Cincinnati, OH

#20 Aug 20, 2010
Nowhere to be found in all the talk of government spending; Defense. Now over $750 billion per year. No problem?

Lift up the rock to find more slush funds, overspending and fraud, than even in Medicare -- a cool site; Balkingpoints ; incredible satellite view of earth

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Niki Tsongas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Congress considering US-made footwear for military (Apr '16) Apr '16 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 2
News Fitchburg receiving $898G in Community Developm... (Feb '16) Feb '16 Lynch 4
News Military recruits still not using American-made... (Jul '15) Jul '15 goonsquad 2
News On sex assaults in the service, Tsongas vows 'r... (Apr '14) Apr '14 me again 1
News Mass., Conn., RI lawmakers push to reopen govt. (Oct '13) Oct '13 Debts Chain 2
News House panel moves to curb military sexual assaults (May '13) May '13 vec 3
News Chelmsford Now Has Choice of Either Tsongas or ... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ralph Zazula 3
More from around the web