HI Gov Gives Gay Marriage Bill To Lawmakers

There are 20 comments on the Aug 29, 2013, EDGE story titled HI Gov Gives Gay Marriage Bill To Lawmakers. In it, EDGE reports that:

Gov. Neil Abercrombie on Wednesday presented state lawmakers with a draft of legislation that would legalize gay marriage in Hawaii.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Imposter alert

Honolulu, HI

#1079 Sep 19, 2013
Look what the molasses chased to shore.
Imposeur Alert District 1

Kailua Kona, HI

#1080 Sep 19, 2013
Imposter alert wrote:
Look what the molasses chased to shore.
Look who is observing those mole asses!
Imposter alert

Honolulu, HI

#1081 Sep 19, 2013
Imposeur Alert District 1 wrote:
<quoted text>Look who is observing those mole asses!
Whatevah bleach boi!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1082 Sep 19, 2013
Scottsdale AZ PhoenixAZZ wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is a compelling viewpoint, but am still not convinced that gender discrimination extends to same-sex marriages. Just because you treat genders the same under Title 9 does not mean it extends to the commingling of people regardless of gender (for exampe).
Thoughts?
It's not Title 9 but rather the Constitution which bans gender discrimination.
Beau Toichi

Honolulu, HI

#1083 Sep 19, 2013
Gender must be based on the presence of two "X" chromosomes or the presence of an "X-Y" pair. Those with combinations such as "X-Y-Y" should be a new gender call "psycho."
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#1084 Sep 19, 2013
Beau Toichi wrote:
Gender must be based on the presence of two "X" chromosomes or the presence of an "X-Y" pair. Those with combinations such as "X-Y-Y" should be a new gender call "psycho."
Gender isn't based on chromosomes, you nitwit.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1085 Sep 19, 2013
Neil An Blowme wrote:
<quoted text>
Gender isn't based on chromosomes, you nitwit.
Actually it is.

Chromosomes determine your primary & secondary sex characteristics; i.e your gender.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#1086 Sep 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is.
Chromosomes determine your primary & secondary sex characteristics; i.e your gender.
gender and sex are not interchangeable. Chromosomes determine your sex, NOT your gender.
Bebedeez

Honolulu, HI

#1087 Sep 19, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is.
Bro you hit the nail on the head! I cant see why none of you extratesticles cant accept this truth. Thats why people treat Gays speaking on this forum whining well gays.. only bring in science when it supports their cause. Sorry but if thats why it was Adam & Eve and not Adam & Steve or Queeve & Eve, because if it was a same sex couple in the garden, it would have ended right there(bcuz of no offspring) And the world would have been spared from shitty Village people songs... and having to look at fat butches with bad haircuts,
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#1088 Sep 19, 2013
Bebedeez wrote:
<quoted text>
Bro you hit the nail on the head! I cant see why none of you extratesticles cant accept this truth. Thats why people treat Gays speaking on this forum whining well gays.. only bring in science when it supports their cause. Sorry but if thats why it was Adam & Eve and not Adam & Steve or Queeve & Eve, because if it was a same sex couple in the garden, it would have ended right there(bcuz of no offspring) And the world would have been spared from shitty Village people songs... and having to look at fat butches with bad haircuts,
Your "Adam & Eve" joke has NOTHING to do with Science, goofus.
Bebedeez

Honolulu, HI

#1089 Sep 19, 2013
Because it was a joke and notto meant to be scientifically sound.wow what a f'kn Stephen Hawkins! Americas most hated vegetable.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#1090 Sep 19, 2013
Scottsdale AZ PhoenixAZZ wrote:
<quoted text>I think this is a compelling viewpoint, but am still not convinced that gender discrimination extends to same-sex marriages. Just because you treat genders the same under Title 9 does not mean it extends to the commingling of people regardless of gender (for exampe).
Thoughts?
Marriage is a fundamental right of all persons.

Gender provides no compelling excuse for denial of this fundamental right.

Denial of this right based on gender, is clearly discrimination.

Fundamental rights should not depend on your understanding of what those rights mean to others. You need to demonstrate a compelling government interest if you seek to impose your restrictions and deny to others the rights you expect for yourself.

“YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO ”

Since: Mar 09

NOT BE OFFENDED

#1091 Sep 19, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Its not a right, stupid. Its a privledge if anything.

You people think you have a right to everything.

Be humble and maybe people will take you seriously but I doubt it. LOL
Violet

Honolulu, HI

#1092 Sep 19, 2013
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Gender provides no compelling excuse for denial of this fundamental right.
Denial of this right based on gender, is clearly discrimination.
Fundamental rights should not depend on your understanding of what those rights mean to others. You need to demonstrate a compelling government interest if you seek to impose your restrictions and deny to others the rights you expect for yourself.
Your argumnet is premised on a faulty assumption. Where in the U. S. Constitution does it explicitly say that "marriage is a fundamental right of all persons?"
Joe Carrol

Honolulu, HI

#1093 Sep 19, 2013
American_Infidel wrote:
<quoted text>
Be humble yourself american idiot.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1094 Sep 19, 2013
Violet wrote:
<quoted text>
Your argumnet is premised on a faulty assumption. Where in the U. S. Constitution does it explicitly say that "marriage is a fundamental right of all persons?"
Where does it say that equal protection under the law is excluded ONLY for gay people?

And the courts have deemed marriage a basic civil right on numerous occasions.

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#1096 Sep 19, 2013
American_Infidel wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I think marriage is legally defined as a "liberty."
Violet

Honolulu, HI

#1097 Sep 19, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say that equal protection under the law is excluded ONLY for gay people?
And the courts have deemed marriage a basic civil right on numerous occasions.
I did not ask what the courts said - I asked if in the constitution itself, there was explicit mention of marriage as a right. Appellate decisions can be overturned - such as Roe v. Wade (hopefully soon).

AOL

#1098 Sep 19, 2013
Violet wrote:
<quoted text>
The 9th amendment explains that the listing of rights does not mean those not listed are not rights. It explains all rights not previously listed remain the rights of the people, not the government.

The Supreme Court on 14 occasions has declared and affirmed marriage is one of those fundamental right not listed, but included and protected under the equal protections clauses of the 5th and 14th amendments.

Zablocki v. Redhail, 434 U.S. 374, 384 (1978):“The right to marry is of fundamental importance for all individuals.”

Turner v. Safley, 482 U.S. 78, 95 (1987):“The decision to marry is a fundamental right”

AOL

#1099 Sep 19, 2013
American_Infidel wrote:
<quoted text>
You call me stupid, yet accuse me of not being humble. hmmmm.

Deny the law if you must, but marriage has firmly been established as a fundamental right of all persons on 14 occasions by the Supreme Court. That means restrictions can only be made if they provide a compelling and legitimate government interest. Restrictions on gender provide no such interest. The only compelling interests involve protecting children and others, with restrictions on age, informed consent, incest and number.

If you want to deny to others the rights you expect for yourself, you need to demonstrate a compelling interest for doing so, and gender fails that test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Neil Abercrombie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News VIDEO: Hawaii volcano lava prompts evacuation c... (Oct '14) Dec '14 hut 3
News Abercrombie content as he leaves office Dec '14 Mike 14
News Schatz, Cavasso vie for Senate seat Nov '14 Joe Balls 1
News Hawaii officials warn of possible lava evacuation (Oct '14) Oct '14 Understatement 4
News A look at the Hawaii volcano sending lava towar... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 2
News Schatz wins over voters in tough US Senate primary (Aug '14) Aug '14 Le Jimbo 5
News Former Lt. Gov. Aiona wins GOP governor primary (Aug '14) Aug '14 Joe Balls 14
More from around the web