Decision Soon on Hawaii Gay Marriage ...

Decision Soon on Hawaii Gay Marriage Session

There are 18 comments on the EDGE story from Sep 8, 2013, titled Decision Soon on Hawaii Gay Marriage Session. In it, EDGE reports that:

Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said Friday that he intends to make a decision soon on whether to call lawmakers into special session to consider legalizing gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Sep 8, 2013
tick ... tick ... tick ...

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Sep 8, 2013
snyper wrote:
tick ... tick ... tick ...
... tock ... tock ... tock

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Sep 8, 2013
He won't call a special session unless the votes are there.
Christsharian Law

Havertown, PA

#4 Sep 8, 2013
If he does okay this there's sure to be a hurricane in the Gulf or in Florida sooner or later. Or a tornado in the bible belt. Or a cloudy day in Chicago.

Mark my words. Jesus told me.

Location hidden

#5 Sep 8, 2013
Christsharian Law wrote:
If he does okay this there's sure to be a hurricane in the Gulf or in Florida sooner or later. Or a tornado in the bible belt. Or a cloudy day in Chicago.
Mark my words. Jesus told me.
You're FUN!
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#6 Sep 9, 2013
We have the votes; just not the votes for the Legislature to call the special session themselves (66%). It will happen.

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Sep 9, 2013
Sir Andrew wrote:
We have the votes; just not the votes for the Legislature to call the special session themselves (66%). It will happen.
Are you certain?

From all the news reports it sounds very close in the House, in spite of a Dem supermajority.

Guess we'll find out soon enough. The Gov won't call a special session unless he's certain the votes are there.

Tawas City, Michigan

#10 Sep 9, 2013
FYI-

Hawaii Senate: 25 Dems, 1 GOP
Hawaii House: 44 Dems, 7 GOP

How is this NOT a slam dunk to pass marriage equality?

We've got to stop electing Dems who oppose equal rights- that's what the GOPasaurs are for.

Location hidden

#11 Sep 9, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
FYI-
Hawaii Senate: 25 Dems, 1 GOP
Hawaii House: 44 Dems, 7 GOP
How is this NOT a slam dunk to pass marriage equality?
We've got to stop electing Dems who oppose equal rights- that's what the GOPasaurs are for.
lol

Our issues don't break along party lines in States that are essentially moderate in their psych.

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Sep 9, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
Our issues don't break along party lines in States that are essentially moderate in their psych.
If they're going to fun as Dems & take money from the national party, then they should be required to vote the party platform.

Start cutting off the money for their election/reelection and they'll realize they suddenly support marriage equality.
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#13 Sep 9, 2013
Okay. As I told you would happen, our governor has called a special session to pass marriage equality. It will begin in late October.

I expect us to become state 14. Unless the New Mexico Supreme Court acts quickly to legalize gay marriage in that state. They could beat us.

Location hidden

#14 Sep 10, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If they're going to fun as Dems & take money from the national party, then they should be required to vote the party platform.
Start cutting off the money for their election/reelection and they'll realize they suddenly support marriage equality.
The National doesn't pay much attention to races in Hawaii.

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Sep 10, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The National doesn't pay much attention to races in Hawaii.
But they still pay a lot of MONEY for Hawaii Dems.

For example, they spent almost $250k on a special election race for the 1st congressional district in 2010.

Cut off that money and they will quickly fall in line.

Location hidden

#16 Sep 10, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
But they still pay a lot of MONEY for Hawaii Dems.
For example, they spent almost $250k on a special election race for the 1st congressional district in 2010.
Cut off that money and they will quickly fall in line.
That makes me uncomfortable.

So which will be Beetle Bomb? Hawaii or New Mexico?

Tawas City, Michigan

#17 Sep 10, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes me uncomfortable.
So which will be Beetle Bomb? Hawaii or New Mexico?
That's the point. It would make those Dems who don't support the party platform uncomfortable as well.

Look, I'm all for having diverse opinions within a party, and I fully expect legislators to fight for the "values" of their constituents. But that should happen while the bill is being WRITTEN or through amendments to the legislation. When the final vote is called though, if they're going to run as a Dem and take money from the party, then they should be required to vote with the party platform/leadership. If they want to vote like a Republican, then they should RUN as a Republican; if they want to be independents, then they should run as an Independent.

But this is the crap we get with a 2 party system.

Location hidden

#18 Sep 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the point. It would make those Dems who don't support the party platform uncomfortable as well.
Look, I'm all for having diverse opinions within a party, and I fully expect legislators to fight for the "values" of their constituents. But that should happen while the bill is being WRITTEN or through amendments to the legislation. When the final vote is called though, if they're going to run as a Dem and take money from the party, then they should be required to vote with the party platform/leadership. If they want to vote like a Republican, then they should RUN as a Republican; if they want to be independents, then they should run as an Independent.
But this is the crap we get with a 2 party system.
The ONLY way out of the two party system is for individual reps to vote their own minds.

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Sep 11, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The ONLY way out of the two party system is for individual reps to vote their own minds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pwC18BTuxaIXX
That's what we have NOW- a 2 party system where candidates/legislators are purchased by one party or the other.

Location hidden

#20 Sep 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what we have NOW- a 2 party system where candidates/legislators are purchased by one party or the other.
"There's two things you don't want people to see how they are made: Laws and sausages."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Neil Abercrombie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Preservation unit under probe - Hawaii News (Aug '09) Jul '16 Georgina 45
News Hawaii pays off lawyers' fees for Honolulu news... (May '15) May '15 Joe Balls 3
News VIDEO: Hawaii volcano lava prompts evacuation c... (Oct '14) Dec '14 hut 3
News Abercrombie content as he leaves office (Nov '14) Dec '14 Mike 14
News Schatz, Cavasso vie for Senate seat (Nov '14) Nov '14 Joe Balls 1
News Hawaii officials warn of possible lava evacuation (Oct '14) Oct '14 Understatement 4
News A look at the Hawaii volcano sending lava towar... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 2
More from around the web