Sen. Ted Kennedy to be knighted by th...

Sen. Ted Kennedy to be knighted by the Queen

There are 121 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 5, 2009, titled Sen. Ted Kennedy to be knighted by the Queen. In it, Newsday reports that:

Sen. Edward Kennedy has been chosen to receive an honorary knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II , the British Foreign Office said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

FD Up

Seattle, WA

#115 Oct 8, 2009
Plugitup wrote:
<quoted text>
During Kennedy's Presidency, the situation in Vietnam (and other nations facing a struggle against communism) esculated. The Chinese were busy backing the Vietnamese Communists and had to be stood up to. Everybody thought that it would be a quick War with a US victory. Sadly this was not to be. Nevertheless it showed the commies that the West will not simply lie down. If Kennedy had let the Commies take Vietnam without a fight then they would have gained confidence to expand in Asia even further. Not to mention the truckloads of critisism that folk like you, would complain that he was weak against communism. Later Robert wanted to get out of Nam as it was time. Yes the War hadn't been won but the point was made. Kennedy had slapped the face of the imperialistic communist forces. It also showed Moscow that the USA means business. Later that other great Irish American President Reagan put Russian communism to bed.
If you and the people in power would read a book you would have known the following:
Vietnam was distrustful of China, but even more so of white men who had raped their land for hundreds of years. Hell after the end of WWII the Viet Mihn had a cadre of Japanese prisoners guiding them with miltary tactics to use against the French. During the 70's Vietnam and China were involved in a border war, and Vietnam kicked their ass. Kissinger also used this distrust between North Vietnam and China against Vietnam by normalizing relations with China. This made the north very wary of Chinese assistance after this act. If JFK would have followed the advice of the OSS that operated in Vietnam during WWII he would have known that Vietnam only wanted self rule. Also these same communist (Viet Mihn) that we were wary of were our allies during WWII against the Japanese.
JFK listened to Robert Mcnamara and believed the whole domino theory. Bottom line: JFK made a mistake. Yes a Kennedy made a mistake. I know you can't believe that, but facts are facts.
FD Up

Seattle, WA

#116 Oct 8, 2009
P.S. Ted Kennedy let a women die.
BillyAyres

La Habra, CA

#117 Oct 9, 2009
Plugitup wrote:
<quoted text>
The Kennedy's planned to liberate Cuba from the cigar puffing nut job that still runs the place. Just look at the state of Cuba, I mean really. If things had gone as Kennedy had planned then it would be a thriving successful free country instead of what it is today. Remember that freedom is not free. And I agree with you that the Kennedy's were a peace loving family.
Oh yea the Kennedy's were a piece lovin'gin family ..as long as the "piece had a beauty ASS and a rack to go with it !!!!
Plugitup

Seoul, Korea

#118 Oct 11, 2009
FD Up wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Ike did start the ball rolling, but it was under Kennedy's presidency when the Cuban exiles were left out to dry with no air cover, as was promised by Kennedy. That is a fact. Why acn you not see that Kennedy blundered. Take the rose colored glasses off.
I admit that Kennedy made some mistakes as did other presidents and leaders all over the world. Nixon and Bush spring to mind but why must you insist on concentrating on the negative aspects of the great man? He achieved a lot more than his odd mistake.
Plugitup

Seoul, Korea

#119 Oct 11, 2009
FD Up wrote:
<quoted text>
You tried to twist the death of Mr. Dewey as if he was directly engaging the Viet Mihn in battle, which it was not. Seems very dishonest representation of the facts. Such facts as was part of our orignal forum.
Fact: Ted kennedy left a women to die in a car he drove into a lake and did not report the accident till 12 hours later.
You have resorted to clutching at straws my son. Your ass is on the run and you are flinging any kind of dirt that you can. Major Dewey was on duty in a military position as an advisor to the anti-communist forces. He was murdered by comuist forces. It's as true and as simple as that. Clearly your back is against the wall and so you are dragging up the old Ted accident. It was an unfortunate car accident, Sadly such traffic accidents like this happen every day around the world. Ted tried to save her by diving into the water but it was pitch black and so he couldn't see squat.
Plugitup

Seoul, Korea

#120 Oct 11, 2009
FD Up wrote:
<quoted text>
If you and the people in power would read a book you would have known the following:
Vietnam was distrustful of China, but even more so of white men who had raped their land for hundreds of years. Hell after the end of WWII the Viet Mihn had a cadre of Japanese prisoners guiding them with miltary tactics to use against the French. During the 70's Vietnam and China were involved in a border war, and Vietnam kicked their ass. Kissinger also used this distrust between North Vietnam and China against Vietnam by normalizing relations with China. This made the north very wary of Chinese assistance after this act. If JFK would have followed the advice of the OSS that operated in Vietnam during WWII he would have known that Vietnam only wanted self rule. Also these same communist (Viet Mihn) that we were wary of were our allies during WWII against the Japanese.
JFK listened to Robert Mcnamara and believed the whole domino theory. Bottom line: JFK made a mistake. Yes a Kennedy made a mistake. I know you can't believe that, but facts are facts.
You are conviently re-aranging the time of these occurences. The Sino-Vietnam War took place in 1979 bro. Well after the US-Vietnam War was historyu. China was the first country to recognise the Republc of Vietnam. Yes they had a rather turbulent relationship as do many neighbouring countries around the world but the bottom line is that China totall backed teh Vietamese commie forces against the US in the War. They supplied munitions, training and transport. What do you think, China backed the US, wake up to the reality of the situation dude
nasty little traitors

India

#121 Oct 12, 2009
Plugitup wrote:
<quoted text>
You have resorted to clutching at straws my son. Your ass is on the run and you are flinging any kind of dirt that you can. Major Dewey was on duty in a military position as an advisor to the anti-communist forces. He was murdered by comuist forces. It's as true and as simple as that. Clearly your back is against the wall and so you are dragging up the old Ted accident. It was an unfortunate car accident, Sadly such traffic accidents like this happen every day around the world. Ted tried to save her by diving into the water but it was pitch black and so he couldn't see squat.
when they happen here, with ordinary drunks involved, we arrest the drunks and jail them for manslaughter. We also take their driving licences away. Anywhere outside the Magic Kingdom of Massachusetts, even Ted would have been caught. An ordinary man would have been jailed in Massachusetts.
Puddle

Shanghai, China

#122 Mar 19, 2013
He Wants Your Wallet wrote:
The only thing Regal about Teddy is his favorite brand - Chivas! RIP Teddy - soon please!!!
You nasty, nasty man.
rio

Bromley, UK

#123 Mar 19, 2013
Todd Schuster wrote:
. As my friend says the only Kennedy is a dead Kennedy.
Who is your "friend" who does the thinking for you?
rio

Bromley, UK

#124 Mar 19, 2013
He Wants Your Wallet wrote:
The only thing Regal about Teddy is his favorite brand - Chivas! RIP Teddy - soon please!!!
So what if he liked a drink?
Winston Churchill drank an excessive amount of Cognac and was ebrieted almost every evening. But he was still one of our best prime minister, and was our inspiring leader during WWII.

There is nothing wrong in a man having some weakness; that doesn't make him a bad person.
free reality check

York, UK

#125 Mar 19, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
So what if he liked a drink?
Winston Churchill drank an excessive amount of Cognac and was ebrieted almost every evening. But he was still one of our best prime minister, and was our inspiring leader during WWII.
There is nothing wrong in a man having some weakness; that doesn't make him a bad person.
what about fleeing the scene of an accident caused by him,and leaving a young woman to die in a submerged car.

doe's that make him a bad person?
rio

Bromley, UK

#126 Mar 19, 2013
free reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
what about fleeing the scene of an accident caused by him,and leaving a young woman to die in a submerged car.
doe's that make him a bad person?
The US authorities, the police and the legal system must have dealt with that probably.
I have never heard that he was charged for anything about that incident. Maybe you have heard differently.
To me, he was just an US legislator, from the Kennedy clan.
free reality check

York, UK

#127 Mar 19, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
The US authorities, the police and the legal system must have dealt with that probably.
I have never heard that he was charged for anything about that incident. Maybe you have heard differently.
To me, he was just an US legislator, from the Kennedy clan.
congratulations you qualify for a free reality check!

In the Chappaquiddick incident on July 18, 1969, Mary Jo Kopechne, a female passenger of U.S. Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy, was killed when he accidentally drove his car off a bridge and into a tidal channel on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts. Kennedy swam free and left the scene, not reporting within nine hours, but Kopechne died in the vehicle. In the early hours of July 19, Kopechne's body and the car were recovered. Kennedy pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury and received a two-month suspended jail sentence. The incident became a national scandal, and may have influenced Kennedy's decision not to campaign for President of the United States in 1972 and 1976.

basically he left a girl to die not reporting the accident for nine hours!then used his family influence to receive a 2 month suspended sentence.

so,bad person or not?
rio

Bromley, UK

#128 Mar 19, 2013
free reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
congratulations you qualify for a free reality check!
In the Chappaquiddick incident on July 18, 1969, Mary Jo Kopechne, a female passenger of U.S. Senator Edward M. "Ted" Kennedy, was killed when he accidentally drove his car off a bridge and into a tidal channel on Chappaquiddick Island, Massachusetts. Kennedy swam free and left the scene, not reporting within nine hours, but Kopechne died in the vehicle. In the early hours of July 19, Kopechne's body and the car were recovered. Kennedy pleaded guilty to a charge of leaving the scene of an accident after causing injury and received a two-month suspended jail sentence. The incident became a national scandal, and may have influenced Kennedy's decision not to campaign for President of the United States in 1972 and 1976.
basically he left a girl to die not reporting the accident for nine hours!then used his family influence to receive a 2 month suspended sentence.
so,bad person or not?
Someone who made a mistake once.

Obviously you never make mistake; lucky you!

The guy was senator for something like 40 years; he can't be treated like a felon.
rio

Bromley, UK

#129 Mar 19, 2013
I like the Kennedys anyway.

I would have been ironic though, if Ted Kennedy had received an Honorary Knighthood, bearing in mind that his father Jo, former US Ambassador at the Court of St james, was so anti-British!!

The old man would have turned in his grave, I'm sure!
free reality check

York, UK

#130 Mar 19, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Someone who made a mistake once.
Obviously you never make mistake; lucky you!
The guy was senator for something like 40 years; he can't be treated like a felon.
iv'e made many mistakes in my life,but leaving a young woman to die alone ,because of an accident i was responsible for is not one of them!

doe's being a senator for 40 years give you special dispensation?

he allowed a woman to die for the sake of his political career.

admirable indeed.
rio

Bromley, UK

#131 Mar 19, 2013
free reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
he allowed a woman to die for the sake of his political career.
.
But you have just told us, matelot, that he couldn't run for the presidency because of that incident, so surely he didn't sabotage his career with intent, did he?

There is something wrong with your argument.

I know what it is.

You just can't stand that someone is sucessful, rich or famous.
There are people like you, jealous and bitter all their lives, and blaming everybody else for their failure.
free reality check

York, UK

#132 Mar 19, 2013
rio wrote:
I like the Kennedys anyway.
I would have been ironic though, if Ted Kennedy had received an Honorary Knighthood, bearing in mind that his father Jo, former US Ambassador at the Court of St james, was so anti-British!!
The old man would have turned in his grave, I'm sure!
you do seem to qualify for a lot of free reality checks!

Joe Kennedy had links with the mob and as ambassador to London he was an admirer of Hitler, a German diplomat referred to him as "Germany's best friend in London" so he wasn't so much anti-British but more pro-Nazi.

he also was well known for insider trading and shady practices when involved in Wall St.

another mistake?
rio

Bromley, UK

#133 Mar 20, 2013
free reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
you do seem to qualify for a lot of free reality checks!
Joe Kennedy had links with the mob and as ambassador to London he was an admirer of Hitler, a German diplomat referred to him as "Germany's best friend in London" so he wasn't so much anti-British but more pro-Nazi.
he also was well known for insider trading and shady practices when involved in Wall St.
another mistake?
Joe Kennedy was a self-made man and those always attract criticism anyway. He was apparently involved in bootlegging during the prohibition.
He was influencial and that's how he was made US Ambassador at the Court of St James. He resented Britain's attempt to involve the US in a war with Germany. The American First movement was very strong, and being Irish, he didn't want anything to do with a confict in Europe. He was recalled, because he didn't get on well with the Foreign Office apparently.

A very strong character who got things done. Yes, he dealt with the mafia and propably got his son elected president thanks to that connection. He probably needed the Italian lobby to get the first Catholic elected in the States.

A very strong man, Joe, and a marvellous family, the Kennedys.

Not doubt you will have something to say about that!
free reality check

York, UK

#134 Mar 20, 2013
rio wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe Kennedy was a self-made man and those always attract criticism anyway. He was apparently involved in bootlegging during the prohibition.
He was influencial and that's how he was made US Ambassador at the Court of St James. He resented Britain's attempt to involve the US in a war with Germany. The American First movement was very strong, and being Irish, he didn't want anything to do with a confict in Europe. He was recalled, because he didn't get on well with the Foreign Office apparently.
A very strong character who got things done. Yes, he dealt with the mafia and propably got his son elected president thanks to that connection. He probably needed the Italian lobby to get the first Catholic elected in the States.
A very strong man, Joe, and a marvellous family, the Kennedys.
Not doubt you will have something to say about that!
nothing at all.

there is not much point arguing with someone that admires a man who managed to help his son into the White House by exploiting his links with the mafia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nancy Pelosi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Congress heads out with no resolution on Zika, ... 19 hr tomin cali 13
News The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rig... May 3 Three Days 21
News Obama wants $1.9B to fight Zika: Where does it ... Apr 29 charlie foxtrot 4
News Nancy Pelosi wants top-secret 28 pages on 9/11 ... Apr 15 Le Jimbo 16
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) Apr 14 Larce 61,395
News ...Nancy and Ronald Reagan, inseparable in life... Mar '16 serfs up 56
News Obama dines with Streisand, Springsteen, Kardas... (May '14) Mar '16 Lex 36
More from around the web