Hagan supports recognition of Lumbees

Hagan supports recognition of Lumbees

There are 96 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 29, 2009, titled Hagan supports recognition of Lumbees. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jon Ostendorff * JOstendorff@CITIZEN-TIMES.com * published March 30, 2009 12:15 am CHEROKEE A U.S. senator from North Carolina is drawing fire from the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians for throwing her support behind a plan that would give full federal recognition to Lumbee Indians in the eastern part of the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

EBCI

Candler, NC

#21 Mar 30, 2009
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight,,, 50,000 people have been BRAINWASHED to believe that they are Indian when in fact they are all a bunch of mixture of white and black. Okay, so why don't these 50,000 people claim to be white or black. Whites and blacks have it a whole lot better than any Indian, no matter how wealthy their casino has made them. BTW, in 1885 when the North Carolina government recognized the Lumbee people, there was no money fallen out of the sky for Indians. You might want to think about all of this before you type in anymore of Hicks talking points. One more thing,, if the Lumbee are "FAKE" why have the EBIC hired a Lumbee to run their school system and allowed Lumbees to work as police officers on their reservation??? Just asking!!!
you dont have to be cherokee to work in cherokee.
Really

Fort Bragg, NC

#22 Mar 31, 2009
EBCI wrote:
<quoted text>
you dont have to be cherokee to work in cherokee.
True. But there is an INDIAN perference in hiring.
Kevin

Candler, NC

#23 Mar 31, 2009
The Lumbees want a casino, too!
Kevin

Candler, NC

#24 Mar 31, 2009
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But there is an INDIAN perference in hiring.
It's legalized discrimination.
mike

Suffolk, VA

#25 Mar 31, 2009
Let me guess, Kay is going to receive a " campaign donation". Damn, she only waited a little over 2 months before she started taking "campaign donations". Then again, she had a great mentor in Mike Easly.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#28 Mar 31, 2009
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me get this straight,,, 50,000 people have been BRAINWASHED to believe that they are Indian when in fact they are all a bunch of mixture of white and black. Okay, so why don't these 50,000 people claim to be white or black. Whites and blacks have it a whole lot better than any Indian, no matter how wealthy their casino has made them. BTW, in 1885 when the North Carolina government recognized the Lumbee people, there was no money fallen out of the sky for Indians. You might want to think about all of this before you type in anymore of Hicks talking points. One more thing,, if the Lumbee are "FAKE" why have the EBIC hired a Lumbee to run their school system and allowed Lumbees to work as police officers on their reservation??? Just asking!!!
Take a tour down the lumbee's own official websites timeline.

http://www.lumbeetribe.com/History_Culture/Ti...

Notice these mongrel mixed race anything counts people also changed their name 5 times to suit the purposes. Whatever they thought got them the most for the least they became that and that isn't tribal that's masquerading.

1924
Tribe unsuccessfully petitions Federal Government for recognition as Siouan Indians.

1933
Smithsonian Institution anthropologist studies tribe, declares Lumbee to be of Cheraw Indian origin.

1952
Tribe votes to adopt the name Lumbee.

1953
North Carolina changes name of tribe from Cherokee to Lumbee.

This pack of nobodies have tried to defraud the nation for 200 years. Lest we forget that somehow this group without a heritage or a record seem to grow to unbelievable numbers. The EBCI isn't anywhere near the 50,000 number and probably because they don't just let anyone in.

As for people from that section of NC getting jobs in Cherokee. Color is no deterrent in a non racist Cherokee. I am sure as long as those people aren't running around lamenting the wrongs done to the fake tribe, they will keep their jobs. I have no doubt if they do start talking about the lumbee, they'll be gone.

*The above quoted dates were from the above web page.
really

Raleigh, NC

#29 Mar 31, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a tour down the lumbee's own official websites timeline.
http://www.lumbeetribe.com/History_Culture/Ti...
Notice these mongrel mixed race anything counts people also changed their name 5 times to suit the purposes. Whatever they thought got them the most for the least they became that and that isn't tribal that's masquerading.
1924
Tribe unsuccessfully petitions Federal Government for recognition as Siouan Indians.
1933
Smithsonian Institution anthropologist studies tribe, declares Lumbee to be of Cheraw Indian origin.
1952
Tribe votes to adopt the name Lumbee.
1953
North Carolina changes name of tribe from Cherokee to Lumbee.
This pack of nobodies have tried to defraud the nation for 200 years. Lest we forget that somehow this group without a heritage or a record seem to grow to unbelievable numbers. The EBCI isn't anywhere near the 50,000 number and probably because they don't just let anyone in.
As for people from that section of NC getting jobs in Cherokee. Color is no deterrent in a non racist Cherokee. I am sure as long as those people aren't running around lamenting the wrongs done to the fake tribe, they will keep their jobs. I have no doubt if they do start talking about the lumbee, they'll be gone.
*The above quoted dates were from the above web page.
The hatred that burns in your heart towards Indian people can only come from the white mans education. It must be hard being 1/16th cherokee!!!

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#31 Mar 31, 2009
really wrote:
<quoted text>
The hatred that burns in your heart towards Indian people can only come from the white mans education. It must be hard being 1/16th Cherokee!!!
You know NOOTHIING!

As usual ignorance reigns supreme. I am not 1/16th Cherokee. I am caucasian with Powhatan direct from Chieftain's daughter Nikketi, first cousin to Moanoke (better known as Pocahontas). Yes I have REAL Native American lineage. More important than that and your racist white man comment. Is the fact that my wife is 100% Cherokee and descended from the greatest of their chiefs.

So even you should be able to puzzle out that I have interest in a fake tribe making claims they can't prove. Trying to steal a piece of the pie they never deserved. I've suggested and offer that is more than fair. The history even states they were considered Cherokee at on point and any true Indian from this area was Cherokee before the white man came. They can get a genetic test and apply for tribal membership. Chief Hicks would probably go for it to end this annoying little dog nipping at the Cherokee's heels.

I mentioned a pie in the above. To be clear the Cherokee do not get funding like the big reservations out west do. The lumbee want the big reservation funding that uses tax payer money to keep them home watching cable. Make no mistake they have no culture, land, or heritage. If the lumbee get recognized their first step will be to demand a reservation to displace others in favor of them. Do you really support that, really? Are you one of them, and I ask because you felt brazen enough to insist on my lineage.

Oh and one more thing. In the future capitalize Cherokee because it is a proper name of a real tribe. I fixed it for you this time.
tfj

Waxhaw, NC

#32 Mar 31, 2009
You go, Yona!!

“Warning I misspell Get over it”

Since: Aug 07

Asheville NC

#33 Mar 31, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
You know NOOTHIING!
As usual ignorance reigns supreme. I am not 1/16th Cherokee. I am caucasian with Powhatan direct from Chieftain's daughter Nikketi, first cousin to Moanoke (better known as Pocahontas). Yes I have REAL Native American lineage. More important than that and your racist white man comment. Is the fact that my wife is 100% Cherokee and descended from the greatest of their chiefs.
So even you should be able to puzzle out that I have interest in a fake tribe making claims they can't prove. Trying to steal a piece of the pie they never deserved. I've suggested and offer that is more than fair. The history even states they were considered Cherokee at on point and any true Indian from this area was Cherokee before the white man came. They can get a genetic test and apply for tribal membership. Chief Hicks would probably go for it to end this annoying little dog nipping at the Cherokee's heels.
I mentioned a pie in the above. To be clear the Cherokee do not get funding like the big reservations out west do. The lumbee want the big reservation funding that uses tax payer money to keep them home watching cable. Make no mistake they have no culture, land, or heritage. If the lumbee get recognized their first step will be to demand a reservation to displace others in favor of them. Do you really support that, really? Are you one of them, and I ask because you felt brazen enough to insist on my lineage.
Oh and one more thing. In the future capitalize Cherokee because it is a proper name of a real tribe. I fixed it for you this time.
Well Said Yona!!! Bravo!!!
Just Wondering

Albemarle, NC

#34 Mar 31, 2009
My husband's grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. Would that make him half Cherokee?
Kevin

Candler, NC

#35 Mar 31, 2009
Just Wondering wrote:
My husband's grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. Would that make him half Cherokee?
Actually, that would make him at least 1/4 Cherokee, if my math is correct. I don't know if there are any true "fullbloods" left or not. I would have to defer to the tribe on that one.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#36 Mar 31, 2009
Kevin wrote:
<quoted text>
It's legalized discrimination.
There is alot of preference in hiring in some fields. Guess you can call it legalized discrmination.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#37 Mar 31, 2009
really wrote:
<quoted text>
The hatred that burns in your heart towards Indian people can only come from the white mans education. It must be hard being 1/16th cherokee!!!
Ain't it a shame, 1/16th black and you are black, 1/16th Cherokee and you ain't chit.
Really

Fort Bragg, NC

#38 Apr 1, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
You know NOOTHIING!
As usual ignorance reigns supreme. I am not 1/16th Cherokee. I am caucasian with Powhatan direct from Chieftain's daughter Nikketi, first cousin to Moanoke (better known as Pocahontas). Yes I have REAL Native American lineage. More important than that and your racist white man comment. Is the fact that my wife is 100% Cherokee and descended from the greatest of their chiefs.
So even you should be able to puzzle out that I have interest in a fake tribe making claims they can't prove. Trying to steal a piece of the pie they never deserved. I've suggested and offer that is more than fair. The history even states they were considered Cherokee at on point and any true Indian from this area was Cherokee before the white man came. They can get a genetic test and apply for tribal membership. Chief Hicks would probably go for it to end this annoying little dog nipping at the Cherokee's heels.
I mentioned a pie in the above. To be clear the Cherokee do not get funding like the big reservations out west do. The lumbee want the big reservation funding that uses tax payer money to keep them home watching cable. Make no mistake they have no culture, land, or heritage. If the lumbee get recognized their first step will be to demand a reservation to displace others in favor of them. Do you really support that, really? Are you one of them, and I ask because you felt brazen enough to insist on my lineage.
Oh and one more thing. In the future capitalize Cherokee because it is a proper name of a real tribe. I fixed it for you this time.
Finally, a white man who takes up for the Indians!!! I hope you make yourself feel good knowing that you can stand up for the little indians who need your protection. The honorable white man protecting the noble savage. Remains me of a good hollywood movie.

Get a LIFE!!! The EBCI or no other Indian tribe need you to stand up and fight for them, you can quit feeling sorry for what your ancestor done!!!
mike

Suffolk, VA

#39 Apr 1, 2009
Keith former Gun-bunny wrote:
<quoted text> There is alot of preference in hiring in some fields. Guess you can call it legalized discrmination.
There is also legal discrimination in college admission, it is called affirmative action.
really

Raleigh, NC

#40 Apr 1, 2009
(This is from a TRUE INDIAN LEADER who has fought to uphold the rights and sovereignty of Indian people for many year)

http://www.indianz.com/News/2009/013793.asp

Charles Trimble: Support Lumbee recognition
Friday, March 27, 2009
Filed Under: Opinion | Recognition

During my term as Executive Director of the National Congress of American Indians (1972-1978), the organization declined to recognize the Lumbees for membership as a tribe although many of them were card-carrying Indian members on an individual basis. Over the years several Lumbee people had served in important positions on the NCAI staff.

But, as I recall, the reason their membership was declined was that the NCAI Credentials Committee, whose responsibility it was to decide on membership, would not recognize their credentials as valid; i.e. a resolution from a governing body that could be considered a tribal government.

To be sure, there were others who questioned that the Lumbee tribe did not have a language of their own, that the name Lumbee was not an Indian word, and others who presented frankly racist objection to their designation as a tribe.

At the time, NCAI had some twenty-two non-federally recognized tribes in its membership, most of them from the Northwest, and a few from the Northeast. As NCAI Director, I was called upon to testify on behalf of one of our members, the Mashpee Wampanoag of Massachusetts, in a court case in Boston. I was greatly impressed at the length they went to in keeping their history alive, including family trees of members.

In 1978, during the BIA’s effort to establish criteria for federal recognition and restoration of trust status, NCAI convened a meeting in Nashville, Tennessee, to discuss the matter and make recommendations to the BIA. Non-recognized tribes, from the South and the Northwest particularly, were invited to the meeting, as well as representatives of interested federally-recognized tribes, including several leaders who were in outright opposition to the restoration of any tribes or groups.

We held the meeting in Nashville, not as an in-your-face gesture to the United South and Eastern Tribes, among which the greatest opposition to new restoration – especially the Lumbees – was the most pronounced. But we felt that they especially needed to hear from the delegations of the non-recognized groups. And the non-recognized groups needed a forum to discuss their situation and their desire for restoration, and their long struggle to preserve their heritage in the most difficult circumstances of abandonment, racism and rejection.

The meeting turned out to be a very warm gathering, and a position was drafted and adopted that satisfied both sides, and a new spirit of cooperation was felt from there on. Nevertheless, opposition to Lumbee recognition persisted.

It is time – long past time, I think – to welcome the Lumbee people into the community of federally- recognized tribes. Their struggle over many years, and their efforts to preserve their heritage is inspiring, and they should be rewarded and praised by Native Americans everywhere. Their tribe has given Indian Country leaders who have worked hard for the great causes of sovereignty and tribal self-determination, all the while being denied their due recognition as Indian people. They have worked hard, and fought for, and have earned what much of Indian Country takes for granted.

Charles E. Trimble is Oglala Lakota, born and raised on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation. He was principal founder of the American Indian Press Association in 1970, and served as executive director of the National Congress of American Indians from 1972-78. He is retired and lives in Omaha. He may be reached at cchuktrim@aol.com.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#41 Apr 1, 2009
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Finally, a white man who takes up for the Indians!!! I hope you make yourself feel good knowing that you can stand up for the little indians who need your protection. The honorable white man protecting the noble savage. Remains me of a good hollywood movie.
Get a LIFE!!! The EBCI or no other Indian tribe need you to stand up and fight for them, you can quit feeling sorry for what your ancestor done!!!
The Cherokee don't need me to speak for them. Up till now all I have done is give you my opinion and facts pertinent to the issue. Your rude comment referring to the Cherokee as "noble savages" proves your intention and agenda to bias everyone based on false information. Step into the light and admit the truth.
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#42 Apr 1, 2009
mike wrote:
<quoted text> There is also legal discrimination in college admission, it is called affirmative action.
Thanks for the info.. Never did go to college, so I wouldn't know.

“The King of Trolls”

Since: Sep 08

Gerudo Desert, Hyrule

#43 Apr 2, 2009
Cornbread1 wrote:
I really don't care one way or the other but what business is it of the Cherokee's whether or not the Lumbees get recognized?
Because the Lumbees are one of the Cherokees worst enemies!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike McIntyre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In the Loop: Want to stop enriching people whos... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Le Jimbo 9
News Democrat Aiken goes for GOP-heavy House district (Apr '14) May '14 barefoot2626 9
News Longtime Dems McIntyre, McCarthy to Retire (Jan '14) Jan '14 conservative crapola 4
News House GOP Targets NC Dem Despite His Staunch Op... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Storm Warning 5
News Lumbees say they'll keep their eagle feathers, ... (Feb '13) Oct '13 Tim in Cali 7
News Expert: Lumbee bill a long shot (Mar '13) Mar '13 SamT 4
News District 8 candidate opposes Lumbee recognition (Mar '12) Jan '13 uyukdv 16
More from around the web