Capuano voices local pitch for Senate

Capuano voices local pitch for Senate

There are 12 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Nov 27, 2009, titled Capuano voices local pitch for Senate. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Congressman Michael E. Capuano believes his service on the municipal, state and national levels will help him do more for Massachusetts than any of his political rivals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

“Everything is local”

Since: Apr 08

Great Barrington, MA

#2 Nov 28, 2009
Turnout will be low because the four Democratic candidates are awful choices.
Give Scott Brown a try.
Bobbys Knows

Syracuse, NY

#3 Nov 28, 2009
Very surprising the congressman could make a trip this far west that was not a junket and paid for by the taxpayers.
citizen

Lowell, MA

#4 Nov 28, 2009
I hope Capuano doesn't get elected but it wouldn't surprise me in this state.
Mainiac

Morrisville, VT

#6 Nov 28, 2009
I am a woman and I am voting for Capuano because he has an outstanding record on womenís issues. When he was mayor of Somerville, he was ahead of his time when h instituted paid parental leave, flextime, and job sharing. He appointed women to head important city departments and negotiated pay raises to bring womenís pay more in line with menís. He gave cell phones keyed to 911 to women who had taken out restraining orders against abusive partners.
In Congress, he has continued this work. He was an original co-sponsor of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 that gives people more time to sue for workplace discrimination. He has worked to help the women of Darfur who are rape victims.
Capuano voted against the Iraq War and the odious USA Patriot Act. Even though the No Child Left Behind Act had Kennedyís name on it, Capuano voted against it because it was an unfunded mandate.
None of the other candidates has anything that approaches Capuanoís record.
wilbur

Boulder, CO

#7 Nov 28, 2009
Mainiac wrote:
I am a woman and I am voting for Capuano because he has an outstanding record on womenís issues. When he was mayor of Somerville, he was ahead of his time when h instituted paid parental leave, flextime, and job sharing. He appointed women to head important city departments and negotiated pay raises to bring womenís pay more in line with menís. He gave cell phones keyed to 911 to women who had taken out restraining orders against abusive partners.
In Congress, he has continued this work. He was an original co-sponsor of the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009 that gives people more time to sue for workplace discrimination. He has worked to help the women of Darfur who are rape victims.
Capuano voted against the Iraq War and the odious USA Patriot Act. Even though the No Child Left Behind Act had Kennedyís name on it, Capuano voted against it because it was an unfunded mandate.
to funny: women's issues and she's from somerville. and pleeeese! fair pay act? read the facts. i'll bet she's an o'bhaaaamma lover.

“Everything is local”

Since: Apr 08

Great Barrington, MA

#8 Nov 28, 2009
Mainiac wrote:
He watched over Somerville when the Winter Hill Gang was alive and well and under the leadership of Whitey Bulger, and it was and still is considered one of the most corrupt cities in MA. He is also a true limousine liberal, never afraid to spend taxpayers money. Vote Scott Brown, it is time for MA to move into the 21st century and for our senators and congressmen to stop acting like bobble head dolls.
Wondering

Springfield, MA

#9 Nov 28, 2009
"He has worked to help the women of Darfur who are rape victims".

How many AMERICAN women who are rape victims
has he worked for?
Mike is the man

Clifton Park, NY

#10 Nov 28, 2009
Capuano's the most Kennedy-like person on the ballot, and he sticks up for regular people. The last thing we need is a career prosecutor (Martha Coakley) as a US Senator. Capuano has my vote, and I'm a woman too.
Tom G

Roslindale, MA

#11 Nov 29, 2009
No thank you Martha Coakley. She has less then 3 years experience in state wide office and has never been a legislator. Plus I dislike her identity politics, it leaves too many people out of her favored circle, women, children and old people.

No thank you Scott Brown, Republicans are narrow minded authoritarian ideologues who run roughshod over Democratic process when they're in power and obstruct and subvert democratically elected presidents when they're not. Palin/Beck 2012.

Mike Capuano gets my vote. He's a six term US Congressman who started as city councilor and worked his way up to mayor, then ran for Congress and won. That was 11 years ago. Pelosi picked him to help run her transition team, says he's one of the best strategists she knows. Vote for Mike on December 8. He's been endorsed by six Massachusetts US Congressmen Neal, Olver, McGovern, Frank, Lynch and Pelosi as well as First Ladies Diane Patrick, Kitty Dukakis and on Sunday, Mike Dukakis.
citizen

Lowell, MA

#12 Nov 29, 2009
Tom G wrote:
No thank you Martha Coakley. She has less then 3 years experience in state wide office and has never been a legislator. Plus I dislike her identity politics, it leaves too many people out of her favored circle, women, children and old people.
No thank you Scott Brown, Republicans are narrow minded authoritarian ideologues who run roughshod over Democratic process when they're in power and obstruct and subvert democratically elected presidents when they're not. Palin/Beck 2012.
Mike Capuano gets my vote. He's a six term US Congressman who started as city councilor and worked his way up to mayor, then ran for Congress and won. That was 11 years ago. Pelosi picked him to help run her transition team, says he's one of the best strategists she knows. Vote for Mike on December 8. He's been endorsed by six Massachusetts US Congressmen Neal, Olver, McGovern, Frank, Lynch and Pelosi as well as First Ladies Diane Patrick, Kitty Dukakis and on Sunday, Mike Dukakis.
All good reasons NOT to vote for Capuano. He has run unopposed the last five times.

Capuano is considered to be one of the biggest supporters in Congress for increasing international aid funding. He has become a voice for victims of the crisis in the Sudan and has secured new funding bills aimed at assisting poor African nation at a time when we need funding in out country.

Another good reason to NOT vote for him. The list goes on. He is a good friend of Nancy Pelosi, he is another Democrat that will do her bidding.
HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Rockville, MD

#13 Nov 29, 2009
Gee, what Massachusetts needs to replace Ted Kennedy: Another Liberal Democrat!
The nation will really get Hope & Change with another Liberal Democrat from Massachusetts in the U.S. Senate.
Maggie

Salem, MA

#14 Nov 29, 2009
I'm voting Republican - The Democrats are acting like they are demi-Gods and above caring what the common man thinks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Capuano Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two House Dems say it's time to dump Pelosi (Apr '15) Apr '15 Teddy 8
News Pittsfield mayor encouraged by Baker efforts fo... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Praxis33 6
News Faust Letter to Mass. Representatives Cautions ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 wild child 1
News Barney Frank Challenges GOP's 'Too Big to Fail'... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Suzanne Lunt 1
News Future homebuyers could feel the pinch from pla... (Aug '13) Sep '13 fingiswold 36
News Closing Fannie, Freddie could boost mortgage rates (Aug '13) Sep '13 Sebrina Wintringham 49
News Coakley addresses top issues during visit - Sen... (Dec '09) Mar '13 Lynch 33
More from around the web