Barrett is mum on aide dispute n A fo...

Barrett is mum on aide dispute n A former administrative office...

There are 20 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Dec 3, 2009, titled Barrett is mum on aide dispute n A former administrative office.... In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Mayor John Barrett III had "absolutely" no intention of publicizing how his former administrative officer bitterly left City Hall last year, and eventually worked against his re-election bid in November.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

Trashman

Wynantskill, NY

#1 Dec 4, 2009
Two interesting points here:

1) How did The Republican "approach" Barrett about emails? How did they get wind of them? Who fed them to the Republican? My opinion: a) Barrett did; 2) Someone in the newspaper industry helped him out and called a buddy in Springfield.

2) The Berkshire Eagle is full of something, and it isn't the truth. Is this newspaper shooting for the "New England Puritanical Newspaper Award"? The "[expletive] deleted from The Berkshire Eagle WAS PUBLISHED IN THE REPUBLICAN!!!!!

There's something wrong when one newspaper doesn't consider a word an expletive, but The Eagle does. This is a big problem with The Eagle in publishing the facts and in fair and truthful reporting.

Eagle! Get you act together!
Sour

Gansevoort, NY

#2 Dec 4, 2009
Sour grapes for sure. Maybe just maybe she can open up a nice can of indidments on Barrett and his secrets.
econ101

Williamstown, MA

#3 Dec 4, 2009
Ms. Eade, please write a book. There are eager buyers out here!
retired farmer

Rensselaer, NY

#4 Dec 4, 2009
Fairly straightforward when legal counsel quits.
SAWXFAN

New Baltimore, MI

#6 Dec 4, 2009
This couldn't happen to a more deserving tyrant. I hope this is just the beginning of years of pay back for all the lies he told and undeserved hardship he inflicted on others. I only wish I was there to help in person.
Ray

Hudson Falls, NY

#7 Dec 4, 2009
Coakley, who grew up in North Adams, backed the candidate who ended his 26-year reign as mayor.
"[Coakley] got involved in the mayor's race and she shouldn't have," Barrett said...why not?

Ironic from someone who has had his boisterous opinions on everything. Hit the Road Jack!
Bobby Knows

Syracuse, NY

#8 Dec 4, 2009
Often silence says so much.
SAWXFAN

New Baltimore, MI

#9 Dec 4, 2009
Here in Florida if a public employee - county, city, etc uses a computer owned by the local or state government, ALL emails sent or received on that computer are PUBLIC RECORD and are regularly monitored by both the newspapers and the local television stations and shared with their respective audiences. C'mon, Mr. outgoing mayor, what have you got to lose? And, oh yeah, I have no doubt the outgoing mayor got an email wishing him a great July 4th. I would just question what year it was sent. The outgoing mayor seems to have selective amnesia.
Newsman

Wynantskill, NY

#10 Dec 4, 2009
SAWXFAN wrote:
Here in Florida if a public employee - county, city, etc uses a computer owned by the local or state government, ALL emails sent or received on that computer are PUBLIC RECORD and are regularly monitored by both the newspapers and the local television stations and shared with their respective audiences. C'mon, Mr. outgoing mayor, what have you got to lose? And, oh yeah, I have no doubt the outgoing mayor got an email wishing him a great July 4th. I would just question what year it was sent. The outgoing mayor seems to have selective amnesia.
In Massachusetts as well.
SAWXFAN

New Baltimore, MI

#12 Dec 4, 2009
Newsman, I thought as much but didn't want to say in case it was not a law in Mass. In that case, come Transcript, you protected the mayor for all these years, now do your job as reporters. Eagle, you've had a nibble, now take a full bite, the public has a right to know.
Maybe sooner

Wynantskill, NY

#13 Dec 4, 2009
econ101 wrote:
Ms. Eade, please write a book. There are eager buyers out here!
I actually think that comment is right. Remember (for those of you older than 20) "The Last Hurrah" about legendary Massachusetts politician James Michael Curley who was actually elected to office in jail? It's a great story. JBIII fits into that category. I worked on the Alcombright campaign and I've watched with a great deal of interest the recent post election media stuff. I think the Transcript and the Eagle will be out of business soon.

Could I just give you my favorite of the recent idiotic news? Editors' Headline: "Barrett is mum on aide dispute" and the article then proceeds to quote and quote and quote John Barrett. Mum in what sense? Should you actually be pretending to provide news coverage? My subscription is cancelled as of tomorrow.

Since: Sep 09

Gansevoort, NY

#14 Dec 4, 2009
to all let the mayor john barrett go onhis political career is over and sum day the glass always breaks but john is tough as nails.to see what he did in north adams match up small citys and john will winn thank you john barrett and have good time laughing at the real clowns in political business..........

Since: Sep 09

Gansevoort, NY

#15 Dec 4, 2009
lets watch north adams now ........??hmm 4 years ill give the new mayor elect i know dick alcombright to. so here is the hurdle who do you blame now or later remeber john barrett is gone and will be missed trust me .........hope we do not become adams cause... ghost have not made a town survive. art arts. go get screwed is what happened to ths town my laugh will be heard trust me john barrett you made north adams in style lets watch it fold. shitty city by committe lmao. at the people look at adams city by committe.we were the best city in berkshire county...... un till next year..........
Newsman

Wynantskill, NY

#16 Dec 5, 2009
cruefan4life wrote:
lets watch north adams now ........??hmm 4 years ill give the new mayor elect i know dick alcombright to. so here is the hurdle who do you blame now or later remeber john barrett is gone and will be missed trust me .........hope we do not become adams cause... ghost have not made a town survive. art arts. go get screwed is what happened to ths town my laugh will be heard trust me john barrett you made north adams in style lets watch it fold. shitty city by committe lmao. at the people look at adams city by committe.we were the best city in berkshire county...... un till next year..........
And who's to blame for the current national economic crisis? Obama who took office in January, or the guy who sat in the chair for the 8 prior years.

If Barrett got re-elected, the problems would be silenced because after 26 years, he knows how to shove a problem under a carpet. So now, Dick Alcombright has the awesome responsibility of uncovering and fixing a plethora of hidden issues. Some of these problems are already floating to the surface.

So, come January 2010, who's to blame for these problems? Dick Alcombright from the second he takes office, or the guy we who got voted out?

Every day that goes by, I start with this prayer: "Dear God, let these idiots open their hearts and minds and let them act accordingly."

Every night at bed time, I end with this prayer: "Thank you dear God, for having given me the strength to have not killed any of the idiots who crossed my path today."

Seems to work. Works every time I read the BS on these Topix posts.
The Heck you say

Gansevoort, NY

#17 Dec 6, 2009
shitty city by committe lmao.

I like it! It's what i am expecting too.

And tell me again Ms Coakley that you didn't know why your "best friend" left her last job before you hired her? You are either a lousy friend, a lousy government official, or a lousy liar!
skibumb

Louisville, KY

#18 Dec 10, 2009
fat ass Barrett didn't complain abot the other fat ass Bosley backing his campaign
flat lander

Louisville, KY

#19 Dec 10, 2009
Why was the HONEST John Barrett RULED OFF FOR LIFE at the former Green Mt Race Track? He did work in the money room!!!!!!!!!!
Hot Walker

Danville, IN

#20 Dec 14, 2009
Come on someone must know the answer to post#19.There are many people still in the ares that worked at Green Mountain at that time.
Mack

Pittsfield, MA

#21 Dec 16, 2009
Hey,you know when you go to post something on this site,usually,you type it,put in the code and hit the POST COMMENT button,and you will almost immediately see what you have written. But,I have noticed that if I post certain things,negative things about certain people or whatever,when I hit the button what I have written won't come up. Like someone is watching what I am typing and preventing me from posting it. Yeah,the papers around here do the bidding of certain people. Damn straight.
Mack

Pittsfield, MA

#22 Dec 16, 2009
Also,John Barrett is no more a Democrat than Newt Gingrich is. He's an 'OPPORTUNIST'! And if he's anything,he is a 'REPUBLICAN'! He's someone who saw an opening and living in a city that's in a state that is all Democrat,he did what he did to get what he wanted. Look at what he's done,or better yet,what he has'nt done,and point to anything that would remind you of a 'DEMOCRAT'? But,to me,he's done all kinds of 'REPUBLICAN' things. Now,I like him better than ever cause he's a REPUBLICAN pretending to be a 'DEMOCRAT' who is 'OUT-OF-OFFICE'! I LOVE IT!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Michael Capuano Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two House Dems say it's time to dump Pelosi (Apr '15) Apr '15 Teddy 8
News Pittsfield mayor encouraged by Baker efforts fo... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Praxis33 6
News Faust Letter to Mass. Representatives Cautions ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 wild child 1
News Barney Frank Challenges GOP's 'Too Big to Fail'... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Suzanne Lunt 1
News Future homebuyers could feel the pinch from pla... (Aug '13) Sep '13 fingiswold 36
News Closing Fannie, Freddie could boost mortgage rates (Aug '13) Sep '13 Sebrina Wintringham 49
News Coakley addresses top issues during visit - Sen... (Dec '09) Mar '13 Lynch 33
More from around the web