Horse slaughter opponents spur last-minute efforts to kill Oklahoma legislation

Mar 25, 2013 Full story: NewsOK.com 14

Passage of a bill that would allow the slaughter of horses in Oklahoma is expected to be taken up this week.

Full Story
Jay Wallace

Quezon City, Philippines

#1 Mar 25, 2013
all those against this bill just post your name and address so we will know where to bring these old horses, it is only in the thousands
fran sherwood

Denver, CO

#2 Mar 25, 2013
Old horses? And this is the uphill battle we fight. The uninformed. At least take the time to do some research. It's not old horses going to slaughter, it's young and healthy horses. And slaughter is not the answer. Slaughter will not fix the horse market. It's not going to solve the problem of neglect. It's just going to enable those folks who continue to breed indiscrimantly with still give them a place to dump these horses.
Horse worker

Saratoga Springs, NY

#3 Mar 25, 2013
US horses are not food. They get drugs banned from the food supply, that can cause cancer and spontaneous abortion in people.

80% of Americans want horse slaughter stopped, and numbers are growing. It's just silly to complain we should take horses from chronic over breeders - mostly AQHA. Just stop breeding so many.
Horse worker

Saratoga Springs, NY

#4 Mar 25, 2013
The European Union member nations just this week confirmed they won't buy US horse meat from US plants -- US horses are testing positive for banned drugs and US won't follow required microchip passport systems to keep drugs out of the world food supply.

With the bad publicity about toxic US horse meat, America is becoming the new China.

Who does Oklahoma plan to sell their druggy product to? Hopefully not families; US horsemeat has drug residues that can cause spontaneous abortions in women, and fatal anemia in children.

Or do the people telling the Governor that horse slaughter will fix their unwanted horse myth have the pipeline lined up to dump the horse meat into the domestic beef supply, like happened in Europe?

This issue is about money, not horses.

If the Governor signs this bill, and a plant opens in her state, the contamination of the domestic food supply will be her legacy.
Jay Wallace

Quezon City, Philippines

#5 Mar 26, 2013
Horse worker wrote:
The European Union member nations just this week confirmed they won't buy US horse meat from US plants -- US horses are testing positive for banned drugs and US won't follow required microchip passport systems to keep drugs out of the world food supply.
With the bad publicity about toxic US horse meat, America is becoming the new China.
Who does Oklahoma plan to sell their druggy product to? Hopefully not families; US horsemeat has drug residues that can cause spontaneous abortions in women, and fatal anemia in children.
Or do the people telling the Governor that horse slaughter will fix their unwanted horse myth have the pipeline lined up to dump the horse meat into the domestic beef supply, like happened in Europe?
This issue is about money, not horses.
If the Governor signs this bill, and a plant opens in her state, the contamination of the domestic food supply will be her legacy.
you idot it is sold as dog food in the USA the horses still get slaughtered if not in Oklahoma they are shipped to Mexico killed butchered and the meat sent right back to the USA
Jay Wallace

Quezon City, Philippines

#6 Mar 26, 2013
fran sherwood wrote:
Old horses? And this is the uphill battle we fight. The uninformed. At least take the time to do some research. It's not old horses going to slaughter, it's young and healthy horses. And slaughter is not the answer. Slaughter will not fix the horse market. It's not going to solve the problem of neglect. It's just going to enable those folks who continue to breed indiscrimantly with still give them a place to dump these horses.
and you horse nuts are all the same i have been to sales and people there with kids that are hungry bidding on a dam horse, these horses will be slaughtered they are now in Mexico and the meat sent right back to the USA, i know a guy who buys them by the hundreds and sends them to Mexico and the meat sold as dog food here in the USA, stopping Oklahoma will not stop the process just use more gas
Jay Wallace

Quezon City, Philippines

#7 Mar 26, 2013
fran sherwood wrote:
Old horses? And this is the uphill battle we fight. The uninformed. At least take the time to do some research. It's not old horses going to slaughter, it's young and healthy horses. And slaughter is not the answer. Slaughter will not fix the horse market. It's not going to solve the problem of neglect. It's just going to enable those folks who continue to breed indiscrimantly with still give them a place to dump these horses.
i agree all horse buyers should have a background check and their facility checked out, every horse marked and records kept over the entire country at a cost of at least $100,000 per head
wakeup

Prattville, AL

#9 Mar 28, 2013
Jay Wallace wrote:
all those against this bill just post your name and address so we will know where to bring these old horses, it is only in the thousands
The thing to do is hold the breeders and owners responsible. There are humane ways to put an "old" horse down. Slaughter is NOT the way.
wakeup

Prattville, AL

#10 Mar 28, 2013
fran sherwood wrote:
Old horses? And this is the uphill battle we fight. The uninformed. At least take the time to do some research. It's not old horses going to slaughter, it's young and healthy horses. And slaughter is not the answer. Slaughter will not fix the horse market. It's not going to solve the problem of neglect. It's just going to enable those folks who continue to breed indiscrimantly with still give them a place to dump these horses.
Yay!! The voice of reason. If people knew what happened in the kill pens and slaughter they'd sing a different tune. Stop irresponsible breeding. Ironic how they want sick, old horses to go to slaughter to end up in their food...go figure. So not only are they eating sick horse meat but horse meat that is full of drugs. That's right let's feed that to your family. It's just wrong on so many levels.
Jay Wallace

Quezon City, Philippines

#11 Mar 29, 2013
wakeup wrote:
<quoted text>Yay!! The voice of reason. If people knew what happened in the kill pens and slaughter they'd sing a different tune. Stop irresponsible breeding. Ironic how they want sick, old horses to go to slaughter to end up in their food...go figure. So not only are they eating sick horse meat but horse meat that is full of drugs. That's right let's feed that to your family. It's just wrong on so many levels.
there is no horse meat sold in the USA it is used in animal feed dog food and such in the zoo for wild animals it has never been sold in the USA, there are 50,000 wild horses in pins now and another 7,400 soon, what do you propose to do with them it cost over 50 million dollars to care for them, would you like to donate to the cause?
annie

Duluth, GA

#12 Apr 1, 2013
The beef industry better wake up. As horse slaughter plants openup
Many horse breeders will start breeding strictly for human consumption. They will be raised as drug free and offered up as the new lean meat
It will happen and the cattle market will decline.
annie

Duluth, GA

#13 Apr 1, 2013
There is humane euthanasia. But of course virtually no one in the horse breeding business supports it because they make no money. And yes this is all about the money and not horse welfare.By the way many horse lovers would donate to sponsor low cost euthanasia.

Since: Aug 12

Oklahoma City, OK

#15 Apr 4, 2013
fran sherwood wrote:
Old horses? And this is the uphill battle we fight. The uninformed. At least take the time to do some research. It's not old horses going to slaughter, it's young and healthy horses. And slaughter is not the answer. Slaughter will not fix the horse market. It's not going to solve the problem of neglect. It's just going to enable those folks who continue to breed indiscrimantly with still give them a place to dump these horses.
That is so true they are seriously uninformed not only that they are killing horses that are pregnant that makes no sense whatsoever when people start buying horses to resell options to be slaughtered you know it's for-profit
WTF Chuck

Lees Summit, MO

#16 Apr 5, 2013
Horse worker wrote:
US horses are not food. They get drugs banned from the food supply, that can cause cancer and spontaneous abortion in people.
80% of Americans want horse slaughter stopped, and numbers are growing. It's just silly to complain we should take horses from chronic over breeders - mostly AQHA. Just stop breeding so many.
Im one of the 20% that want horse meat.I can't wait to bite into my first Mc Trigger with a large fry and a coke!!!! Yum-Yum

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Representative Mary Fallin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Possibly No Marriage in Oklahoma? Democrats Spe... (Jan '14) Oct '14 El oh El 8
Oklahoma Lawmaker Urges Health Emergency Due To... Oct '14 Le Duped 1
Doc: Inmate in botched execution died from IV Aug '14 Del 4
Challenges to gay marriage bans: Where they stand Aug '14 Lawrence Wolf 64
Hugo Gymnastics Coach Convicted On All Charges ... Aug '14 curious bystander 1
NJ Gov. Christie visits OKC with Gov. Fallin Aug '14 Straw Grasping Te... 1
US appeals court tosses Oklahoma gay marriage ban Jul '14 karlschneider 25
More from around the web