Letters to the Editor - Editorials

Letters to the Editor - Editorials

There are 136 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Feb 19, 2009, titled Letters to the Editor - Editorials. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

I'm always surprised to see letters from people who are opposed to extending some benefits to same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Hawai'i loa kulike 'oukou.”

Since: Feb 09

London, Na mokupuni Beretannia

#1 Feb 19, 2009
Mr. Jason Wong's faculties of deduction are remarkable, "history of our state?" according to history Hawai'i is NOT a "state" but a Sovereign country. Placing a U.S. flag over a Hawaiian Kingdom flag does not give the Hawaiian Islands any credence as a "state." No disrespect to our right honorable friend but let us take the matter to the International World Court of Justice for arbitration and assessment Mr. Wrong, Ooops Mr. Wong. "In the shovel and pipe ready" for a rail network?, surely these are the prefabricated presumptions and predispositions of a one tracked mind.[Haw-Haw].
willie

Plymouth, MI

#2 Feb 19, 2009
Lord HawHaw wrote:
Mr. Jason Wong's faculties of deduction are remarkable, "history of our state?" according to history Hawai'i is NOT a "state" but a Sovereign country. Placing a U.S. flag over a Hawaiian Kingdom flag does not give the Hawaiian Islands any credence as a "state." No disrespect to our right honorable friend but let us take the matter to the International World Court of Justice for arbitration and assessment Mr. Wrong, Ooops Mr. Wong. "In the shovel and pipe ready" for a rail network?, surely these are the prefabricated presumptions and predispositions of a one tracked mind.[Haw-Haw].
Sorry Haw Haw the USA is not a signatory of the world court. Perhaps Obama will sign us up but today no dice.

Hawaii is a state, it used to be something else but the people wanted change so it changed, spin it any way you wish, it is a state and has been for some time.
willie

Plymouth, MI

#3 Feb 19, 2009
"Rail project will surely stimulate our growth"

Just another form of welfare."bring in more than $1 billion in new federal grant money, which does not have to be repaid by the city or local taxpayers." and it will only cost 6 or 7 billion to GET that 1 billion, what a deal. If you think that is swell I will trade as many one dollar bills with you for your five dollar bills, you can make a fortune.

As to bringing in money, do you know for a fact the contracts will all go to local business, who by the way, have zero expertise building a rail system? Think the mayor already has the bids in hand from them or will it actually be opened up to not only the lowest bidder but the most qualified?

If it is such a boone to the economy perhaps you can enlighten us how much it is going to cost to subsidize it every year.
Lord HawHaw

Dublin, Ireland

#4 Feb 19, 2009
Oh I say! so much for a "state" of mind, we might as well flood Alaska with Ruskie's brought across the Berring Straits from Siberia when they are in the majority hold a vote and declare Alaska part of the Russian federation. We then place the U.S. star spangled banner underneath the red white and blue of the Russian Federation flag, that effectively sums up the 1959 "statehood" vote, which had nothing to do with self determination for Hawaiians. Good gracious! how would Uncle Sam feel about that? Nope, Sam Wilson got his name for his honesty not his dishonesty. Mr Obama please defend Uncle Sam's good reputation as the World is watching, the truth cannot be concealed for ever you know!{Haw-Haw].
willie

Plymouth, MI

#5 Feb 19, 2009
Best you can do Haw Haw is compare an apple to an orange?

Time to wake up, the 150 year nap is over, in the real world Hawaii is a state and ALL of it will remain so.
pie in the sky

Kapaau, HI

#6 Feb 19, 2009
Jason Wong must believe in tooth fairies too. It's true the rail project will create temporary construction jobs but they will eventually end. We need to face the fact that our construction industry needs to shrink and those workers need to go into something else. There is simply not enough land or money to feed this industry forever, even if the feds kick in 20% every time. And we cannot create massive public works projects every decade simply to create jobs for the construction industry.
Hawaiian Republican

United States

#8 Feb 19, 2009
Lord HawHaw wrote:
Oh I say! so much for a "state" of mind, we might as well flood Alaska with Ruskie's brought across the Berring Straits from Siberia when they are in the majority hold a vote and declare Alaska part of the Russian federation. We then place the U.S. star spangled banner underneath the red white and blue of the Russian Federation flag, that effectively sums up the 1959 "statehood" vote, which had nothing to do with self determination for Hawaiians. Good gracious! how would Uncle Sam feel about that? Nope, Sam Wilson got his name for his honesty not his dishonesty. Mr Obama please defend Uncle Sam's good reputation as the World is watching, the truth cannot be concealed for ever you know!{Haw-Haw].
Brother Haw-Haw, it's "guilt by association". You and other sovereignty supporters speak as though all Hawaiians reject these islands as a US State under the authority of the US government. No, me and a silent majority of Hawaiians like our American status, and wish it to remain so. Plenty of our blood brothers and sisters have shed blood, sweat, and tears to protect America, to better this country, and to pursue its opportunities. Plenty of us have participated in its government as elected officials and voters and as taxpayers. We are fully invested in the United States and want to be an equal partner in it. "United we stand, divided we fall". What would Hawaiian Sovereignty be anyway, but a "pseudo-sovereignty" perpetually latched and dependent upon the United States, and another layer of bureaucracy over the Hawaiian people. No thank you to that!!

Under the American flag we all have equal opportunity to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", and to participate in the government and rule of law. Hawaiians are already have sovereignty in this Land alongside our other ethnic brothers and sisters. If we are held captive by anything, it is by the sense of victimization and entitlement within our ethnic community.

I wish to remain an American first, and a Hawaiian second. "United we stand, divided we fall".
Hawaiian Republican

United States

#9 Feb 19, 2009
Lord HawHaw wrote:
Brother Haw-Haw, in case you haven't noticed, plenty of "Ruskies" have migrated to the US and are ASSIMILATING into the country rather than trying to break away and create their own nation-within-a-nation. Except for a vocal minority, countless numbers of Hawaiians have also already assimilated, mixing our blood with others, and fanning out across the other 49 States.
Roberto

Greece

#10 Feb 19, 2009
Haw Haw is posting from Ireland!
Faithful in Hawaii

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Feb 19, 2009
Haw-Haw,

Having traveled extensively abroad and across the country, it is my opinion that America isn't perfect (no country is), but it offers the greatest of opportunities and extends the most liberties to its people. You see so many people from other lands wanting to migrate in, but there's no long lines of people wanting to migrate out.

I feel truly sad for people who are born here yet possess no heartfelt claim or connection to the country. It seems most of those in the sovereignty movement seek after a bygone era, a utopia that doesn't exist, or a handout. If you can't feel at home in your home, then where will you ever find it? Life is too short and we're all getting older.
elaine

United States

#12 Feb 19, 2009
With all the auto accidents on the west side, they should only be allowed to ride bikes...then we won't need light rail and the money could be used for potholes and other road matters.
rope1

Honolulu, HI

#13 Feb 19, 2009
Nice try Walter, but nonsense. You have all the same rights as married hetros do now. All it takes is for you to go to a lawyer, and have it legally written up about how you and your sig other want to share your "stuff'. No you may not be considered a "spouse" for certain benefits, but you know what, you are not a spouse!!!!

I'd ask you what good would it do to make this change for 1 or 2% of the population!!!
Republicans vs Gay Rights

Washington, DC

#14 Feb 19, 2009
Can you say Bigot?
blah

Honolulu, HI

#15 Feb 19, 2009
Republicans vs Gay Rights wrote:
Can you say Bigot?
Either you with us or against us? All of a sudden you are a racist, bigot, not tolerant, hypocrite, homophobe, traitor and everything else extreme.
Hawaii 96782

Honolulu, HI

#16 Feb 19, 2009
Lord Haw Haw:

The Hawaiian Kingdom was overthrown by the very people they welcomed with open arms. If you want your Sovereign country back, I suggest you get together all those who think like you and declare that Hawaii seceed from the US.
mario

Kihei, HI

#17 Feb 19, 2009
The rail project will end up like the story of the TheBoat on a bigger scale. Ridership is very low and didn't help ease traffic. I was shocked how much subsidy we pay for the boat. I would say stop the train for now and see if the state projects would work to solve traffic. This state cannot afford two projects at the same time. There are plenty of works for employment if there is money, schools, housing repairs backlogs, sewers, roads, etc.
Killa Wiffa

AOL

#18 Feb 19, 2009
Save mankind from gay couples!!!!!!!!

Since: Oct 08

Honolulu, HI

#19 Feb 19, 2009
Ah, come on! God didn't make people gay anymore than he made people Olympic swimmers or anything else that involves some combination of behavior and genetics.

"Skin color is a benign, non-behavioral characteristic. Sexual orientation is perhaps the most profound of human behavioral characteristics. Comparison of the two is a convenient but invalid argument" (Colin Powell, first black U.S. Secretary of State).
Rail Pandemic

Wailuku, HI

#20 Feb 19, 2009
The city has jumped the gun and asked for contractor bids to start on the first rail phase even before the ink dries on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement and Final Environmental Impact Statement for this rail scam.
The mayor insists on pushing and forcing Honolulu to spend $7.1 billion (YOE) on a new choo choo train built for the current bus ridership base.

Mr. Wong claims that this rail project is "ready to go" with groundbreaking.
Not true. The transit route has not been finalized and the DEIS report process is still in play and not approved as well as a new future Final EIS report and a record of decision and the full funding agreement approval process that is needed. Why would any city start "groundbreaking" or start a $7.1 billion (YOE) dollar rail project without funding approvals or without a final record of decision from the Feds on the DEIS and FEIS reports first?

Mr. Wong also claims that more than $1 billion in FED money does not have to be repaid by the taxpayers. All residents pay federal and local taxes... This is all our taxpayers money that was paid by residents thru taxes. Why would locals have to "repay" taxes for "rail funding" that we already paid out to the government? It was our money to start with.

Jason Wong wrote: "Honolulu's rail transit project is ready to go with groundbreaking set for the end of this year. The city has already issued a call for contractor bids to start on the first phase.
Rail would provide our economy with thousands of new jobs for the next decade and beyond, and bring in more than $1 billion in new federal grant money, which does not have to be repaid by the city or local taxpayers."
No Mas

Honolulu, HI

#21 Feb 19, 2009
Hey Walter Mahr !

How about cleaning your BATH HOUSES !

Your lifestyle choice is ABNORMAL and UNATURAL !

Your 'Marriage ' Laisons don't reproduce because they are NOT NORMAL ot NATURAL.

Get it ? GOOD !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mark Foley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Andrew was a monster; Irma could blow it out of... Sep 11 Team America 13
News Former House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert's indict... (Jun '15) Apr '17 Mad as Hell 45
News Obama founder of ISIS, says Trump (Aug '16) Nov '16 Chilli J 175
News Trump calls Obama 'the founder of ISIS,' claims... (Aug '16) Aug '16 southern at heart 577
News Former Congressment Foley discusses prostate ca... (Sep '11) Jan '16 Bobbie 16
News Former US House Speaker Dennis Hastert to make ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 kuda 11
News Dennis Hastert's indictment resurrects Foley sc... (Jun '15) Jun '15 goonsquad 31
More from around the web