No charges against former US Rep. Foley

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Congressman Mark Foley won't face state charges for sending sexually explicit computer messages sent to male teenage aides because prosecutors couldn't prove they were sent from Florida and the statute of ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 50 Comments Last updated Sep 20, 2008
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Lucy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

That is a real crock of sh*t, tell that to the others under the Julia Tuttle causeway in Miami!!!
Max

Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

The Sun Sentinel is playing an interesting on line game here. This article by Mark Hollis, with the exception of changing the words "not expected to file charges" to "will not file charges" is identical the earlier article today by Brian Skoloff. But rather than just update Brian's article, they published a brand new article. By doing that, Brian's article is buried in the archives, along with almost 90 reader posts from this morning.

Interesting indeed.
bbb

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

OOOOOH MAX, IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!!! OMG!!!!

You have no clue.
Max

Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

For all of you out there who still believe Foley is a pedophile, consider this. By legal definition, a pedophile is a sexual predator.

Now, there were several Democrats in Congress who knew about the Foley emails at least a year before those emails were made public. If those Democrats in Congress even suspected that those emails were evidence that Foley was a pedophile, then those Democrats in Congress who had, or had knowledge of those emails, said nothing about a suspected sexual predator in their midst for over a full year. No, they waited until the timing was perfect - reelection time - to almost guarantee a Democrat would capture Foley's seat in Congress.

Now I don't think any member of Congress, Democrat or Republican, would put children at risk with a sexual predator, for a year or more, for purely political reasons. Do you? For one thing, hiding or shielding a pedophile can be a criminal activity.
Were those Democrats guilty of a crime?

No. Those emails were released with the innuendo that Foley was a pedophile, not the proof or even the actual assertion. The Democrats knew that simply revealing the fact that Foley was gay would not play well, because of Democrats in Congress who are openly gay, such as Barney Frank. No, they had to spice it up to make it effective. They couldn't even demand Foley's resignation for socially mixing with pages because they made no such demand on Gerry Studds, years earlier.

I don't disagree that Mark Foley did the honorable thing and resigned. What he was doing was most certainly unethical. But the rest of it was pure political assassination, perpetrated by some Democrats who desperately wanted Foley's seat in Congress. And they got it. Shamefully, they got it.
Scarey Max

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Scarey Max

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Smarther Than You

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

It cracks me up that Republicans are actually coming to the defense of this sicko- Why not just admit that there are sick people in this world and that he is one of them? While you're at it, admit that Palin has no where near enough experience to hold the 2nd highest position in the land and should work on turning put out a cook book on moose recipes.
Max

Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Scarey Max wrote:
here's a nice one
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/BrianRoss/Story...
d=2509586&page=6
I can't help it if you're some sort of voyeur who likes to read someone's intimate correspondence. That's not something I care about. I care about the law, and ensuring it is applied equally to all citizens.

So when you're done titillating yourself, tell me precisely what is in error in my post above. If you can't do that then you're wasting everyone's time.
Max

Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Smarther Than You wrote:
It cracks me up that Republicans are actually coming to the defense of this sicko- Why not just admit that there are sick people in this world and that he is one of them? While you're at it, admit that Palin has no where near enough experience to hold the 2nd highest position in the land and should work on turning put out a cook book on moose recipes.
Stay on subject, can you? This has nothing to do with Sarah Palin.

Now, tell me what is in error in my post above. Show me some facts that are misstated.

There are some sick people in the world, particularly the vigilante types who want to administer their own perceived form of justice outside of the rule of law.
Kathy

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Max, I've been watching the comments, including the ones the SS has buried. This is obiously an exercise in futility.

No one here is concerned with the law, the facts or how this was handled. They are as partisan as the democrat "leaders" who kept this quiet until it was politically helpful to them, then ran to the microphones to express their concern for the children. That part means nothing to the other posters here.

Foley seems to be "guilty" only of being gay. With a D after his name he would be held in high esteem.

There is so much wrong here on so many levels - it's a disgrace.

But no one here is being honest, unless you count that they are only interested in political outcomes.
minor threat

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Poor dumb Republicans. Always caught with men, male prostitutes or undercover cops and somehow it's always a political conspiracy. He would still be a disgrace with (D) after his name. The partisanship comes when the Republicans rail against homosexuals and then get caught in these scandals. The Democrats don't seem to get caught up in this hypocrisy. I haven't heard one Republican caught who has come out of the closet; they continue to deny, say they love their wives, and get treated for other issues. Nice try Kathy, but play the victim violin somewhere else.
Kathy wrote:
Max, I've been watching the comments, including the ones the SS has buried. This is obiously an exercise in futility.
No one here is concerned with the law, the facts or how this was handled. They are as partisan as the democrat "leaders" who kept this quiet until it was politically helpful to them, then ran to the microphones to express their concern for the children. That part means nothing to the other posters here.
Foley seems to be "guilty" only of being gay. With a D after his name he would be held in high esteem.
There is so much wrong here on so many levels - it's a disgrace.
But no one here is being honest, unless you count that they are only interested in political outcomes.
LOL

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

whats with the republicans who are anti gay but really are gay?
John Holmes

Jupiter, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Yeah. And he's not gay, either. LOL

“I'm not your friend, buddy.”

Since: Apr 08

Amarillo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Prosecuted or not, he's still really gay.
Max

Jefferson, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

minor threat wrote:
Poor dumb Republicans. Always caught with men, male prostitutes or undercover cops and somehow it's always a political conspiracy. He would still be a disgrace with (D) after his name. The partisanship comes when the Republicans rail against homosexuals and then get caught in these scandals. The Democrats don't seem to get caught up in this hypocrisy. I haven't heard one Republican caught who has come out of the closet; they continue to deny, say they love their wives, and get treated for other issues. Nice try Kathy, but play the victim violin somewhere else.<quoted text>
Your brush is so broad you must have painted someone in your own family somewhere. I have never "railed against a homosexual" in my life. Further, you have no idea what my partisan political beliefs are, let alone know if I'm a Republican.

I don't care how many Republicans may be hypocrites, on any subject. Hypocrisy is one the few truly bipartisan qualities in the this country. The Democrats proved that when they treated Gerry Studds and Mark Foley with completely different standards.

You are so infected with political partisanship you have been blinded. The Democrats would not be proud of your vigilante style of justice.
Kathy

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

minor threat wrote:
Poor dumb Republicans. Always caught with men, male prostitutes or undercover cops and somehow it's always a political conspiracy. He would still be a disgrace with (D) after his name. The partisanship comes when the Republicans rail against homosexuals and then get caught in these scandals. The Democrats don't seem to get caught up in this hypocrisy. I haven't heard one Republican caught who has come out of the closet; they continue to deny, say they love their wives, and get treated for other issues. Nice try Kathy, but play the victim violin somewhere else.<quoted text>
No victim violin here, minor. Just speaking the truth.

I have never railed against homosexuals here, nor have I ever seen Max do so.

The hypocrisy you accuse me of seems only to be coming from the left here. That's the point. Foley's crime is being gay. And what is the left calling him? Pervert. Who's the hypocrite?

The Sentinel now has a poll attached to this article asking if people agree with the decision not to file charges. Where does opinion enter into any of this? He's either committed a crime or he hasn't. According to the investigators, he has not.

Well, unless you're from the left and want to call him a pervert for being gay.
Dice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

The bottom line (no pun intended) is that Foley got his jollies by sending suggestive e-mails to minors.
Jean

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

WHAT!!! The RNC denied them access?
What's going on? If plain folk like myself would have done something so digusting, we would have been UNDER
THE JAIL BY NOW!!!
Sully

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

He is sick & should pay for what he did. If it was my husband or any other normal guy, there butts would be in jail.Funny how when they are caught they always say they were molested when they were young. Sure you were
Rocket Scientist

Delray Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2008

Too bad being a hyocritical, two faced, perverted predator isn't illegal in Florida. If it was, Foley would be in jail and it wouldn't have taken two years to figure it out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••