Dems say Obama should invoke 14th Ame...

Dems say Obama should invoke 14th Amendment

There are 38 comments on the KEPR CBS 19 story from Jul 27, 2011, titled Dems say Obama should invoke 14th Amendment. In it, KEPR CBS 19 reports that:

House Democrats said Wednesday that President Barack Obama should invoke a little-known constitutional provision to prevent the nation from going into default if Congress fails to come up with a plan to raise the debt ceiling.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KEPR CBS 19.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#1 Jul 27, 2011
If he does, be ready for the revolt that will follow shortly thereafter.
OPM

Chandler, AZ

#2 Jul 27, 2011
Besides, it could be a delicate situation. Iffen he orchestrates a position of aiding and abetting the default -- for,lets say, personal political expediency, he could also be impeached under the same 14th amendment...
WOODCHUCK

North Port, FL

#3 Jul 27, 2011
DA NATIVES ARE GETTING RESTLESS!
BOSTON HERALD

New polls: Obama’s off base
Support waning, even among liberal backers

Even here in bluest Massachusetts, some of President Obama’s stalwarts say their support for the liberal darling is slipping — as a new poll suggests the numbers are plummeting in the president’s base and a call has emerged from the left for a primary challenge.

“Our expectations were high, and the disappointment started happening early and often,” said state Rep. Denise Provost (D-Somerville), a big backer in 2008, now bothered by Obama’s snub to Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren and his extension of tax breaks.

“He needs to stop spending money on the war and sending our youth overseas, and stop spending our money to kill other people,” said Mel King, a progressive community activist and former Boston mayoral candidate, who said he has become disillusioned by Obama’s decision to continue the war in Afghanistan.“That’s one issue that I think he really needs to step up on.”

A Washington Post/ABC News poll suggests the promise of hope and change has soured amid high unemployment and a stubborn deadlock over the debt ceiling dragging on with no end in sight. Obama has lost in two key groups — progressive Democrats and blacks — who helped put him over the top in 2008.

The percentage of liberal Democrats strongly supporting Obama’s job record has fallen 22 points, from 53 percent last year to 31 percent now. And the number of blacks believing Obama has helped the economy has tumbled from 77 percent in October to just more than 50 percent, the Post reported.

One left-leaning senator, independent Bernie Sanders of Vermont, has even suggested it would be a “good idea” for Obama to face a primary challenger to pull him back to his liberal roots.

There was some good poll news for Obama: 65 percent of Americans disapprove of the way the GOP is handling job creation, compared to 52 percent for Obama.

And in Roxbury yesterday, many said the president deserves more time to turn around the devastating economy crisis he inherited.

“He’s fixing up a lot of stuff that was already messed up,” said Gregory Holder, 50, a cook from Mattapan.“... He’s only one person — he can only do so much. Everybody has to work with him.”

Serena Grooms, 46, of Roxbury, a hospital administrative assistant, said Obama was saddled with a “full load” upon becoming president.

“I still support him. I don’t hold him accountable,” Grooms said.“I think he has a tough situation that he’s dealing with and it’s a hard mouth to fill.”

Inez Pressey, 60, a high school teacher from Roslindale, said she thinks the country is healing. Her two grandchildren — one in Afghanistan and another in Iraq — aren’t staying for the extended overseas stints they once were, and her other grandchildren are starting to find summer jobs again.

“For any president coming after when the economy is bad, trying to build it back up, it’s going to take time,” she said.“It’s much better than what it was. Much better.”

The Rev. William Dickerson of Greater Love Tabernacle in Dorchester, who said he prays for the president to make the right decisions, is standing by Obama:“He’s leading in challenging times,” he said.

Provost countered that Obama bungled the economic recovery and now supporters are closely watching how he handles debt-ceiling talks:“Expectations about the state of the economy and nature of the recovery we could expect weren’t well thought through,” she said.

King added,“Nobody seems to be talking about the number of youth dying on our streets. It seems to me that we need to be focusing on that,” he added.
Deo Vindice

Sacramento, CA

#4 Jul 27, 2011
The skinny African muslim warlord has already demolished the Bill of Rights.

The numerous crisis in the United States are created by DESIGN by this islamofascist.

His priority is to have more illegal Mexicans and muslims in the country.
These foreigners already cost American tax payers over 350 BILLION dollars a year.

Hussein has subsidized, with taxes, the building of over 2000 mosques on U.S. soil, and there are more to come.
These jihad learning and training centers are tax excempt.
WOODCHUCK

North Port, FL

#5 Jul 27, 2011
JAY-TALKING: Here’s what you need to know from Wednesday’s White House briefing with press secretary Jay Carney:

-- The White House has ruled out using the 14th Amendment to raise the debt limit, Carney said.“It is not an option,” he said.

-- There’s no reason for President Obama to meet in person with congressional leaders on Capitol Hill, Carney said.“I don’t think that the problem here is a lack of face-to-face,” he said.

-- Obama has “made a lot of adjustments to his schedule,” like canceling fundraisers, because of the debt debate, Carney said. He added,“Now we’re focused on the important stuff.”
Alabama

El Paso, TX

#6 Jul 27, 2011
Deo Vindice wrote:
The skinny African muslim warlord has already demolished the Bill of Rights.
The numerous crisis in the United States are created by DESIGN by this islamofascist.
His priority is to have more illegal Mexicans and muslims in the country.
These foreigners already cost American tax payers over 350 BILLION dollars a year.
Hussein has subsidized, with taxes, the building of over 2000 mosques on U.S. soil, and there are more to come.
These jihad learning and training centers are tax excempt.
Maybe this is why white people are looking so stupid today. you people are so hateful and biter that a black man is in the Oval office until you would rather see this country go down then for a black man to put this country back on track. America is so devilish until it's almost sad. But hey, be proud of you racist ways. Everyone else is moving on with life
Alabama

El Paso, TX

#7 Jul 27, 2011
Deo Vindice wrote:
The skinny African muslim warlord has already demolished the Bill of Rights.
The numerous crisis in the United States are created by DESIGN by this islamofascist.
His priority is to have more illegal Mexicans and muslims in the country.
These foreigners already cost American tax payers over 350 BILLION dollars a year.
Hussein has subsidized, with taxes, the building of over 2000 mosques on U.S. soil, and there are more to come.
These jihad learning and training centers are tax excempt.
Also makes me wonder what church you attend. maybe instead of worrying about muslim mosques in this country, we should be worried where people like you attend church
Unbelievable

Bethesda, MD

#8 Jul 27, 2011
In Obama's speach to La Raze.. Didn't he just say he wanted to rule like Chavez? And he was applauded for it.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#10 Jul 27, 2011
Far Away wrote:
If he does, be ready for the revolt that will follow shortly thereafter.
Go shit in your stupid pinhead hat. Go revolt in Siberia, you low-life.
true

Nathalie, VA

#12 Jul 27, 2011
Now he wants to abide by the constitution what a fking joke he is so funny
Really---

Waterford, MS

#14 Jul 27, 2011
Amendment 14
"4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void."

Does this say the President can raise the debt ceiling?

"5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article."

Seems Congress is required to act.
true

Nathalie, VA

#15 Jul 27, 2011
Really--- wrote:
Amendment 14
"4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void."
Does this say the President can raise the debt ceiling?
"5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article."
Seems Congress is required to act.
Congress also is supposed to be handling the money, not the fed!!!
questioner

Waterford, MS

#16 Jul 27, 2011
true wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress also is supposed to be handling the money, not the fed!!!
Congress created the 'fed', Federal Reserve Bank, so they delegated. If you want a well thought out critique of the fed read up on Ron Paul.
Obama is not legal prez

Anonymous Proxy

#17 Jul 27, 2011
WOODCHUCK wrote:
DA NATIVES ARE GETTING RESTLESS!
BOSTON HERALD
New polls: Obama’s off base
Support waning, even among liberal backers
Even here in bluest Massachusetts, some of President Obama’s stalwarts say their support for the liberal darling is slipping — as a new poll suggests the numbers are plummeting in the president’s base and a call has emerged from the left for a primary challenge.
“Our expectations were high, and the disappointment started happening early and often,” said state Rep. Denise Provost (D-Somerville), a big backer in 2008, now bothered by Obama’s snub to Harvard professor Elizabeth Warren and his extension of tax breaks.
“He needs to stop spending money on the war and sending our youth overseas, and stop spending our money to kill other people,” said Mel King, a progressive community activist and former Boston mayoral candidate, who said he has become disillusioned by Obama’s decision to continue the war in Afghanistan.“That’s one issue that I think he really needs to step up on.”
...Provost countered that Obama bungled the economic recovery and now supporters are closely watching how he handles debt-ceiling talks:“Expectations about the state of the economy and nature of the recovery we could expect weren’t well thought through,” she said.
King added,“Nobody seems to be talking about the number of youth dying on our streets. It seems to me that we need to be focusing on that,” he added.
I agree with the libs you quoted on the wars Obama started willy nilly with no objective in mind.

" I also think we've learned that our troops shouldn't go off and try and fight a war of independence for another nation. Only the Afghanis can win Afghanistan's independence from the Taliban."

MITT ROMNEY 2012
true

Nathalie, VA

#19 Jul 27, 2011
questioner wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress created the 'fed', Federal Reserve Bank, so they delegated. If you want a well thought out critique of the fed read up on Ron Paul.
Ron Paul is the only one i would vote for as president but just like when kennedy ended the fed by signing the bill that nothing ever happened im afraid they might try to take out him too

Since: Aug 10

Decatur, GA

#20 Jul 28, 2011
Alabama wrote:
<quoted text>Maybe this is why white people are looking so stupid today. you people are so hateful and biter that a black man is in the Oval office until you would rather see this country go down then for a black man to put this country back on track. America is so devilish until it's almost sad. But hey, be proud of you racist ways. Everyone else is moving on with life
Anyone with even half a brain recognizes that the Republicans are backing Obama into a corner and whichever way he moves he will look bad. THAT is their ONLY objective. Republicans have said over and again that their NUMBER ONE priority is to make Obama a one term president.

WTF???? The nation is going down the drain and THAT is your number one priority??? How shallow, selfish and dangerous. How self-centered and hateful. The ULTIMATE child's bully.

This demonstrates to me exactly how much care and consideration Republicans have for this country. Exactly NONE. They have been utterly uncooperative from the day Obama took office. Now it's come down to a do or die situation and they would rather see the country go down that give an inch.

That is NOT how government is supposed to work. Our government is NOT supposed to be made up of people who cannot work together. If this is way you behaved with your coworkers on your job, you would be fired. The Republicans have steadfastly refused to budge and inch on taxes no matter how it's been displayed to them. The inability to work together to solve serious issues is not only immature, it's dangerous and frightening. Should we face a situation where our enemies are crawling up the beachs, would these morons in Washington stand around poking each other in the chest and holding decisions hostage until they got the right deal?

OMG, it's out of control and while there's enough blame to go around for all of them, it's as obvious as a blinking neon sign that the Republicans are using this issue to sabotage Obama. They are also sabotaging the entire nation.
Curtis Lowe

United States

#21 Jul 28, 2011
Yes. Then when Perry is elected in 2012 he can gut the country without congressional interference. Go for it Obama!

Since: Aug 10

Decatur, GA

#22 Jul 28, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Go shit in your stupid pinhead hat. Go revolt in Siberia, you low-life.
It's OK, Bill. It's not worth the stress to argue with people so out of touch.

I had a political conversation with someone near and dear to my heart last night. He's all of 25 years old and, like many other armchair politicians, probably hasn't watched a newscast or read a newspaper in his life, but he knows that Obama is screwing up the country.

And how do you know this, I ask. He sputters and says...because he is. I say, give me an example. He just shakes his head at me and walks off. He's not the first I've had recent current event discussions with (other than here on Topix) and I've been shocked by the lack of knowledge on the subjects, yet they've all been convinced they are right on target and know what's going on.

I suddenly realized that a good portion of the populous of this nation accepts as gospel what they WANT to believe, not what IS. They may listen to a talk radio show or listen to a slanted newscast or read a paragraph in the newspaper and THAT, in and of itself, gives them fuel to validate their own personal views. They don't research a topic further. They don't take the source into consideration. The don't follow-up and see if their facts are even remotely on target. They're not looking for answers, they're simply looking to substantiate what they want to believe.

Personally, I'm losing interest in the country, the politics and the idiots who run it. And that's all I see is a bunch of idiots. Self-serving idiots. Idiots who won't work together, who teeter our nation on the brink of diaster for their own personal agendas, who should ALL be fired and replaced with people who can cooperate and work as a team.

There's nothing you or I can do to correct this, Bill. We ARE a nation of dumbasses who have allowed our government to go completely out of control. I don't give a damn anymore what they do. The country can default, collapse, blowup, come apart at the seams, hold it's breath until it turns blue, I really have lost feeling for it. All we are interested in doing is fighting amongst ourselves. I don't think we really want solutions, we just want to create chaos and turmoil and we seem to relish in it. If terrorists did indeed attack us on 9/11, then they've ultimately won. We're nothing but a shell of the country we used to be. In a decade started a war against ourselves.
Rico

Guatemala

#23 Jul 28, 2011
tidy catz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's OK, Bill. It's not worth the stress to argue with people so out of touch.
I had a political conversation with someone near and dear to my heart last night. He's all of 25 years old and, like many other armchair politicians, probably hasn't watched a newscast or read a newspaper in his life, but he knows that Obama is screwing up the country.
And how do you know this, I ask. He sputters and says...because he is. I say, give me an example. He just shakes his head at me and walks off. He's not the first I've had recent current event discussions with (other than here on Topix) and I've been shocked by the lack of knowledge on the subjects, yet they've all been convinced they are right on target and know what's going on.
I suddenly realized that a good portion of the populous of this nation accepts as gospel what they WANT to believe, not what IS. They may listen to a talk radio show or listen to a slanted newscast or read a paragraph in the newspaper and THAT, in and of itself, gives them fuel to validate their own personal views. They don't research a topic further. They don't take the source into consideration. The don't follow-up and see if their facts are even remotely on target. They're not looking for answers, they're simply looking to substantiate what they want to believe.
Personally, I'm losing interest in the country, the politics and the idiots who run it. And that's all I see is a bunch of idiots. Self-serving idiots. Idiots who won't work together, who teeter our nation on the brink of diaster for their own personal agendas, who should ALL be fired and replaced with people who can cooperate and work as a team.
There's nothing you or I can do to correct this, Bill. We ARE a nation of dumbasses who have allowed our government to go completely out of control. I don't give a damn anymore what they do. The country can default, collapse, blowup, come apart at the seams, hold it's breath until it turns blue, I really have lost feeling for it. All we are interested in doing is fighting amongst ourselves. I don't think we really want solutions, we just want to create chaos and turmoil and we seem to relish in it. If terrorists did indeed attack us on 9/11, then they've ultimately won. We're nothing but a shell of the country we used to be. In a decade started a war against ourselves.
Such sadness, in our ignorance, greed and apathy we gave her to the devils/corporate government, the Republic is/has been vacated for generations, the people are lost and wandering in their stupor...

We have been voting for over 200-years, to no avail, just an elite's-diversion of the masses, as the corporations rule...

There is no fix, we are mentally and morally destitute, left to wander the halls of this travesty they call the U.S.A....

I realized this many years ago, and acted accordingly, being in my new home now for 3-years, I never looked back...My childhood memories are wonderful, I relish in them, what a shame this present generation will have so little-good to remember in their old-age...
short trus micro bus

Hulbert, OK

#24 Jul 28, 2011
co-heasion , adheasion , stuck like glue. public debt is personal debt as divided by citizentry .

vesa- versa , flip flop

this allows one to grab for all
all for one???, just ask any jillionare who 7`d thier way into status

a municipality thats grabed the change off the table

or a district that siez`s a bank and exchanges good money for junk bonds loans

blue money?, dont spend the blue mo0ney dammit!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Larson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minority Party Makes a Major Shift in House Jun '16 Le Jimbo 9
News Battered GOP Seeks Wave To Ride Back To Power (Nov '08) Jan '16 Ted Kennedy Bluep... 41
News House sends health care bill to Obama (Mar '10) Jan '15 Hanni n Must me 15
News Obama Coming To Connecticut To Push For Higher ... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Sol 1
News Democrat: 'Not Fair' to Subject Congress to Oba... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Bama Yankee 1
News ezra_klein (Jan '13) Jan '13 au contraire 13
News US teens struggle to find elusive part-time jobs (Jan '12) Jan '12 Colorado Chick 47
More from around the web