House Republicans OK a full plate of ...

House Republicans OK a full plate of Bush-era tax cuts

There are 17 comments on the Cleveland.com story from Aug 1, 2012, titled House Republicans OK a full plate of Bush-era tax cuts. In it, Cleveland.com reports that:

With the government heading toward a year-end "fiscal cliff," House Republicans approved a full plate of Bush-era tax cuts Wednesday that they said could help shore up a still-frail national economy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Cleveland.com.

Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#1 Aug 1, 2012
Which Nation?
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#3 Aug 1, 2012
How many legal Americans get a Head Start?
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#4 Aug 1, 2012
Oh Hopkins for the Indians just oppoffit the prifon Houfe....
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#5 Aug 1, 2012
And speaking or advertising net ten....phones when you buy a card...why does it take your previous days and minutes? What a deal?
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#6 Aug 1, 2012
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#7 Aug 1, 2012
Can phone companies sequester minutes and days?
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#8 Aug 1, 2012
Well everyone wants equal rights....is the water turned off?
Halito

Winnemucca, NV

#9 Aug 1, 2012
How do you sequester rights?
June 62th 2028

Carol Stream, IL

#10 Aug 2, 2012
goooooooooooood morning Halitoo! U seen to?alot2day;)

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#11 Aug 2, 2012
Say GOP Congressmen....Remember the FEDERAL DEFICIT?

You want to increaase it by leaps and bounds, for NO VALID REASON.

Trickle down, supply side, whatever you want to call it; it does not work.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#12 Aug 2, 2012
Bill makes an interesting point. We have a huge national debt, not because we spend too much, but because we don’t have enough income. 50% of Americans don't pay any income tax, so we need to implement a national sales tax on all goods and services. An 8% national sales tax on all purhcases would allow us to continue our current rate of spending.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#13 Aug 2, 2012
RustyS wrote:
Bill makes an interesting point. We have a huge national debt, not because we spend too much, but because we don’t have enough income. 50% of Americans don't pay any income tax, so we need to implement a national sales tax on all goods and services. An 8% national sales tax on all purhcases would allow us to continue our current rate of spending.
And just who would that help or hurt? Maybe you don't realize that a good part of the population in this country lives paycheck to paycheck, meaning the spend all or nearly all of their salary on surviving. Which means all or nearly all of the salary would end up being taxed.

The wealthy, who do not live paycheck to paycheck, would come way out ahead on this little scheme. On top of that, they want to make sure that, along with the "un"fair tax there would be no taxes on investments. Once again, let the little people pick up the burden of supporting this country.

There are now TRILLIONS of US dollars in offshore accounts not paying one single dime in taxes, while you and I, Rusty, are getting screwed ten ways to Sunday and the super rich are whining about what THEY are losing.

Wake up. Who do you think has to make up for all that lost revenue? While you and I are busting our butts working, the super rich are laughing at us and taking us for a ride.

The United States has no more money. Physically, it has no more money. It's all gone. It's no longer in America, which is creating the financial woes we are having right now. The so-called 'fair' tax will do nothing for us but make life more difficult. And the wealthy will continue to get wealthy. And Rusty, I don't care how much money you have, you ain't one of THEM.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#14 Aug 2, 2012
RustyS wrote:
Mr_Bill favors an import tariff on manufactured goods instead. A sales tax is regressive. Also, many states already inpose sales taxes of 5 to 9% You are talking about a 15% tax combined...no thanks.

IMPORT TARIFF on manufactured goods.

Down side?
...makes American manufactured goods more price competitive.
Crack Head

Maple Heights, OH

#15 Aug 2, 2012
How about a 7% tax on welfare? And a 3% deduction from welfare, to pay for their Medicaid??

As OWEbama ONE says, everyone needs some skin in the game!!! Last I heard, everyone includes 3rd and 4rth generation welfare Queens, with 6 to 10 kids!!!

The Left Coast

#16 Aug 2, 2012
PayThat CEO wrote:
<quoted text>..........And the wealthy will continue to get wealthy. And Rusty, I don't care how much money you have, you ain't one of THEM.
Funny, Obama says if your household makes $250K you are one of THEM.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#17 Aug 3, 2012
RustyS wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, Obama says if your household makes $250K you are one of THEM.
This From the New York Daily News

<<<Report:$21 trillion hidden in offshore accounts
VICTORIA CAVALIERE
Sunday, July 22, 2012

The wealthiest people in the world have exploited loopholes in international tax rules, evading the taxman and sheltering a staggering $21 trillion or more in offshore accounts, according to a report released Sunday.

To give perspective to the scale of the offshore economy, the economic transparency group Tax Justice Network said the sum is larger than the entire United State’s economy, or enough money to entirely solve the European debt crisis.>>>

But that's for the whole world. Here's a typical 250k a year earner...

<<<Americans who hide money illegally in foreign accounts cost the United States up to $70 billion a year, the Congressional Research Service reports.

David Alan, a Greene County optometrist, set up accounts in the Bahamas and the Caribbean island of Nevis to avoid income taxes. He claimed just $38 in income – and $4 in federal taxes – for a year when actual amounts were $242,740 in income and $66,898 in taxes.>>>

So, tell me, Rusty...you think it's OK for these people to pay nothing while the rest of us hold up the weight of everything?

The Left Coast

#18 Aug 3, 2012
If it's legal, I have no problem. I know people who deduct vacation travel as business, vacation homes for rental property, imaginary donations to charity and have 'farms' because they live in the country and they can write off thier lawn mower and pickups. Why not just simplify the entire tax code? We could raise revenues and cut the size of the IRS by 2/3rds, A win - win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Boehner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poll: Job approval for Congress at record low (Aug '11) 17 hr Tariffs 67
News Obama wins trade victory in the Senate (May '15) Jul 23 Le Jimbo 14
News 'Never Trump' forces converge on Cleveland for ... Jul 15 ArmUp 3
News House Passes Bill To Make It Illegal To Watch P... Jul 11 Michael holtzen 1
News Obama greeted by protesters waving Confederate ... (Jul '15) Jun '16 AFL CIO 5
News House Speaker John Boehner to resign from Congress (Sep '15) Jun '16 Marine Corp Pat 89
News Republicans pick Ryan for speaker; House passes... (Oct '15) Jun '16 Sick of Politics 16
More from around the web