Rep. Joe Barton of Texas enraged Demo...

Rep. Joe Barton of Texas enraged Democrats and fellow Republicans o...

There are 54 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 18, 2010, titled Rep. Joe Barton of Texas enraged Democrats and fellow Republicans o.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The day after Rep. Joe Barton became a household name - and a source of ridicule for late night comics - by first apologizing to BP and then retracting his apology, the Texas Republican appeared to go underground.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
the GOP

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jun 18, 2010
It appears plain to most intelligent, sane, breathing folks that much of the GOP is in the bed with big oil and big everybody else. From Bachmann to Barton and those who have supported their rhetoric. The biggest difference between the two aforementioned is Barton was smart enough to apologze for saying something so stupid although he believes it. Michele just denies saying controversial things that might hurt her re-election efforts and smiles for her tea party faithful. I'm sure Palin is being told to remain quiet on this one but she may go rouge any moment in support of these fine people. Before another righty spouts off about the current administration and the handling of this disaster, they should huddle up and come up with something to impress us for a change. They're not helping as far as I can tell, they have no answers for anything that I've heard! Who are they fooling? I hope not you!
Anne

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2010
It was such an embarrassment to me as an American to watch and listen as this clown took up for BP against the Gulf Coast citizens who have seen their lives and livelihoods upended by this disaster, not to mention the 11 men who paid with their lives for BP's recklessness. He not only showed a disregard for the plight of these American citizens, but he also dishonored the memory of the dead men.

He only apologized because he was forced to. Otherwise he would have lost an important chairmanship.
doug

Maryland Heights, MO

#3 Jun 19, 2010
This really show how this man thinks !!!! He is in it for himself and doesnt care about the environment or the people he represents. It outraged me that he was defending the oil company suggesting they should litigate all and not do the responsible thing. If he were my rep i would be activly campaing aganist him.
Anne

Washington, DC

#4 Jun 19, 2010
doug wrote:
This really show how this man thinks !!!! He is in it for himself and doesnt care about the environment or the people he represents. It outraged me that he was defending the oil company suggesting they should litigate all and not do the responsible thing. If he were my rep i would be activly campaing aganist him.
You know what's even more outrageous? He also doesn't seem to care that the effects of a disaster of this magnitude will eventually impact all of us. Things like that always have a ripple effect.
Jeb Clampet

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jun 19, 2010
At least the first 4 posts on this article get it. How in the world does Barton rationalize his remarks?? Bachmann too?? There are some things in this world that are clearly wrong and to actually defend BP is treasonous. We're are not the United States of Corporations. Lets make sure our politicians realize that in 2010.
Dam Demthuglicrat

Lakeville, MN

#6 Jun 19, 2010
It most definitely is a shakedown and extortion and I'm disappointed with the Republicans for not backing him up.

There is a law in place that covers what oil companies have to pay in the event of a spill. B. Hussein forced a fund with an amount far over and above what the law calls for using multiple threats including criminal prosecution. They had no choice than to be shaken down and extorted. I'm still waiting to see how he's going to handle his and his administration's incompetence in preventing and acting on the spill. Let's hope he uses the same methods and penalties when calling for payment and punishment from themselves.

Business experts have said this is the worst thing B. Hussein could have done. It sends a signal to other foreign business not to do business here because they don't know when he will go after them like he has BP, more widely being referred to now as 'Barack Petroleum'.

Oh, and for all you idiots boycotting BP, I'm now filling my cars at BP stations exclusively as are my family and friends. We support the local business owners, unlike you moonbats. The boycott in the long run won't hurt BP, only the local station owners. Wise up.
Washington whispers

Spring Hill, FL

#7 Jun 19, 2010
Rep. Joe Barton was recently seen at a CVS store buying rubbers.
He didn't fool anybody by wearing dark glasses.

http://www.waltsense.com/storage/articles/200...
Dam Demthuglicrat

Lakeville, MN

#8 Jun 19, 2010
Washington whispers wrote:
Rep. Joe Barton was recently seen at a CVS store buying rubbers.
He didn't fool anybody by wearing dark glasses.
http://www.waltsense.com/storage/articles/200...
It's too bad your father didn't buy and use at least one, moonbat.
Getflushed

Sonora, KY

#9 Jun 19, 2010
A President and a Democrat Judicial Committee totally disregarding jurisprudence smacks of tyranny never seen before in America. To abuse BP endlessly, when they acknowledged up front their responsibility and intent to fairly settle, is a slight of hand to direct the attention of people off the fact that Obama did NOTHING for almost two months to restrict the impact of the oil on the coast. Most Obama supporters in the media acknowledge this and claimed he has had to be living in a fantasy world for two months. I don't think he's that stupid. He knew exactly what doing nothing would do.
obammyswhoremamy

Placitas, NM

#10 Jun 19, 2010
Go em Joe; these commie thugs' days are numbered. America is coming for the commissar obammaturd and his apparatchik
BP Barry

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jun 19, 2010
Mort Zuckerman: World Sees Obama as Incompetent and Amateur

The reviews of Obama's performance have been disappointing. He has seemed uncomfortable in the role of leading other nations, and often seems to suggest there is nothing special about America's role in the world. The global community was puzzled over the pictures of Obama bowing to some of the world's leaders and surprised by his gratuitous criticisms of and apologies for America's foreign policy under the previous administration of George W. Bush. One Middle East authority, Fouad Ajami, pointed out that Obama seems unaware that it is bad form and even a great moral lapse to speak ill of one's own tribe while in the lands of others.

(Excerpt)
http://www.usnews.com/articles/opinion/2010/0...

----------

The guy’s only managerial accomplishment was running a winning campaign. What did you expect? It wasn’t like his managerial skills were adequate to run the most expensive and powerful government in the world.

Another day, another billionaire acquires some brains.
BP Barry

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jun 19, 2010
Stupak: "Legitimate" For BP Escrow Account To Fund Health Care

Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.): I think we had to have someone say this is where you can go without limiting your criminal liability or civil liability.For instance, the question is brought up, pay for all of the health care for the people in the Gulf. No,....

(Excerpt)

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/0...

So that’s what this is all about? Shaking-down BP to pay for that *%$^# Obamacare? Barton was right. Before he apologized.
Dam Demthuglicrat

Lakeville, MN

#13 Jun 19, 2010
BP Barry wrote:
The guy’s only managerial accomplishment was running a winning campaign.
He didn't even manage that. It was a bunch of Hollywood image makers. He has whoever came up with the phrase "Hope and Change" to thank, along with Jack Ryan for getting caught in the sex scandal that led to Hussein's, for all practical purposes, unopposed election to the U.S. Senate. Without Ryan, he'd still be a lowly Illinois state Senator with a less than stellar career of voting "present".
Bob the Bilderberger

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jun 19, 2010
"Rep. Joe Barton of Texas enraged Democrats and fellow Republicans"

Nonsense. The man speaks the truth. People should be outraged at their gangster government. The money should go into a bank, not into a democrat-controlled slush fund.

“REUNITE GONDWANALAND!”

Since: Jun 08

Woodbury

#15 Jun 19, 2010
BP Barry wrote:
Stupak: "Legitimate" For BP Escrow Account To Fund Health Care
Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.): I think we had to have someone say this is where you can go without limiting your criminal liability or civil liability.For instance, the question is brought up, pay for all of the health care for the people in the Gulf. No,....
(Excerpt)
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/0...
So that’s what this is all about? Shaking-down BP to pay for that *%$^# Obamacare? Barton was right. Before he apologized.
Wrong.
Stupak was specifically referring to using the fund for health care expenses related to the oil contamination - in other words, health care for the people who lost their jobs and their health insurance because of BP.
Dam Demthuglicrat

Lakeville, MN

#16 Jun 19, 2010
Darwinian wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.
Stupak was specifically referring to using the fund for health care expenses related to the oil contamination - in other words, health care for the people who lost their jobs and their health insurance because of BP.
You know as well as the rest of us that the Demthugs will spend every cent they can get their dirty little hands on for anything they wish. B. Hussein has already diverted previous oil cleanup funds to Hussein Care. What makes you think he won't do it again with the BP shakedown fund, especially with one of his cronies administering it. Third party admin my arse.
Lucretia

North Ridgeville, OH

#17 Jun 19, 2010
HOW STUPID DOES THE GOP THINK YOU ARE?

THIS STUPID:

GOP STEPS ON ITS OWN 'SHAKEDOWN' TALKING POINT.... It's hard to see how Wednesday's meeting at the White House could have gone much better. President Obama met with BP executives, told them how it was going to be, and BP quickly agreed. The result: a $20 billion pot of money that will bring much-needed help to workers, businesses, and families who've been victimized by a devastating oil spill.

The Republican response was quick: the relief fund is outrageous. The matter, the GOP said, should have been resolved in the courts. Obama pressuring BP on Americans' behalf was evidence of a "shakedown" and "extortion," which might have even been "illegal." How dare the president step up to secure needed funding for struggling families and small businesses in the region. The nerve. Hell, one key Republican official even apologized to BP for Obama strong-arming the oil giant into setting the money aside.

Yesterday, though, the Republican message seemed to shift a bit, at least in some corners. What was initially deemed an outrageous presidential abuse turned into a GOP idea that Obama shouldn't take credit for.

Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.), for example, issued a statement yesterday implicitly arguing that there couldn't have been a shakedown, since BP intended to put $20 billion into the escrow fund before the White House meeting. "The true outrage," Franks said, "is that this was never the President's idea at all."

It wasn't just Franks.

On Thursday, Rep. Anh "Joseph" Cao told me that he pressed BP on the fund idea a month ago, inspired by the example of Exxon after its 1989 spill off the coast of Alaska. And on Friday I talked with Ray McKinney, another engineer, who is running for Congress in Georgia against Rep. John Barrow (D-Ga.). McKinney stressed that there was no serious disagreement about the escrow issue, and said Democrats were concocting a political debate when all that mattered was making BP pay and investigating the disaster.

First, there was considerable disagreement about the escrow issue, since the entire Republican establishment quickly rose up to trash the agreement, loudly and publicly.

Second, this new message completely invalidates the first. Simultaneously, we have Republicans saying Obama extorted the money out of BP and that BP agreed to the payment before Obama walked into the room.

The president's efforts were scandalous, some Republicans are arguing, but the effort was a GOP idea.

Can't anybody here play this game? Just pick a message and go with it.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/

Yep, they are trying to change their message now - a message crafted by the Republican Study Group and released to GOP operatives, officials and media entertainers on June 16, one day BEFORE Barton's comment to Haywood.

Now, I guess you have to decide if you are as stupid as they are to believe their flip-flopping comments?

Since: May 10

Stillwater, MN

#18 Jun 19, 2010
Dam Demthuglicrat wrote:
<quoted text>
You know as well as the rest of us that the Demthugs will spend every cent they can get their dirty little hands on for anything they wish. B. Hussein has already diverted previous oil cleanup funds to Hussein Care. What makes you think he won't do it again with the BP shakedown fund, especially with one of his cronies administering it. Third party admin my arse.
More teabagger falsehoods... BP chose the trustee, not the President:
Earning trust is biggest obstacle in disbursing $20 billion BP escrow fund

The nation's unofficial authority on disbursing massive relief funds oversaw the paying out of billions of dollars for families of those who died in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and the Virginia Tech shootings. His phone rang once again this month, not long before word began to spread in Washington about such a fund for victims of the gulf oil spill.

BP executives contacted Feinberg to see whether he would be willing to take the job. He agreed, and President Obama signed on.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/...

Ok, next teabagger falsehood!
Dam Demthuglicrat

Lakeville, MN

#19 Jun 19, 2010
Lucretia wrote:
http://www.washingtonmonthly.c om/
The Washington Monthly, a left biased publication with a left biased viewpoint. Worthless information.
Dam Demthuglicrat

Lakeville, MN

#20 Jun 19, 2010
B. Hussein must be creaming himself over the thought of all the money he can hand out.

Too bad for him BP is not going to hand it out without without proper documentation. From the looks of it, Hussein's crony is going to do everything he can to do the opposite.

"BP Oil Spill: As Pay Czar Promises Money, Workers Turned Away From BP Claims Center"

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/bp-oil-spill-ken-fei...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jo Bonner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Byrne coasts in Ala. special election (Dec '13) Dec '13 Cat74 21
News How should Alabama fill vacancies to elected po... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sam Ponticello 1
News Establishment beats tea party in Alabama runoff (Nov '13) Nov '13 conservative crapola 4
News Despite loss, Dean Young says hard-fought AL-01... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Give Me a Break 1
News A Clash Of Styles As GOP Factions Fight For Ala... (Oct '13) Nov '13 Don Joe 20
News Baldwin Commission, others against Delta nation... (Sep '13) Sep '13 D E Kyser 1
News Paul Ryan becomes flashpoint in Alabama GOP race (Aug '13) Aug '13 stopracismagainst 1
More from around the web