House moves to extend unemployment benefits

There are 20 comments on the Sep 21, 2009, Connecticut Post story titled House moves to extend unemployment benefits. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

Despite predictions the Great Recession is running out of steam, the House is taking up emergency legislation this week to help the millions of Americans who see no immediate end to their economic miseries.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Looking for work

West Milford, NJ

#1 Sep 21, 2009
Governor Rell does nothing for this state , applies high taxes , over priced gasoline , dirty highways , dirty water , high tax cigarettes, and now she doesn't even speak up for all of the thousands of people STILL out of work and exhausting their benefits weekly , where does ALL the casino money go ? All those states are get help for the jobless except Connecticut what a shame we have a person who does not care about the states citizens !
Town Resident

Totowa, NJ

#2 Sep 21, 2009
As usual, the government keeps giving away OUR money like it grows on trees.

It is utterly false that we are in recovery. A recovery is defined as two quarters in a row of positive growth. We have had nothing like that. But we have had more that two quarters in a row of contraction, which defines the word recession exactly.

If government keeps spending like this -- while making no hard cuts -- this recession will become even greater than the Great Depression.
Carol

Wayne, NJ

#3 Sep 21, 2009
This is not only necessary but Human. The government knows the situation and sees no ending in sight. How pitiful for America the RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, but the greed of some heartless politician have brought us into the verge of poverty.
If You Say So

Totowa, NJ

#4 Sep 21, 2009
Carol wrote:
This is not only necessary but Human. The government knows the situation and sees no ending in sight. How pitiful for America the RICHEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD, but the greed of some heartless politician have brought us into the verge of poverty.
That heartless politician is named OBAMA

Since: Jul 08

Stevenson, CT

#5 Sep 21, 2009
If You Say So wrote:
<quoted text>
That heartless politician is named OBAMA
Ummm...the recession started in Dec 2007. Remember who was president then? Or would you prefer to forget that?

Here's a hint: He had the WORST record of job creation than any president in HISTORY.
Really

Totowa, NJ

#6 Sep 21, 2009
Jezebel282 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...the recession started in Dec 2007. Remember who was president then? Or would you prefer to forget that?
Here's a hint: He had the WORST record of job creation than any president in HISTORY.
LOL. Has Obama even created a single job yet?

And Czars don't count!

Since: Jul 08

Stevenson, CT

#7 Sep 21, 2009
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Has Obama even created a single job yet?
And Czars don't count!
Ask the people who pay 35% of their COBRA payments instead of 100%.

Jobs? Well the Republicans made damned sure that the banks, insurance companies and brokerage houses are making bundles.

The Health Insurance companies have John Beohner and Sarah Palin working for them full time too.
Poor

West Milford, NJ

#8 Sep 21, 2009
Please someone help me , no job , no money , i think i'm going to check out ......
Really

Totowa, NJ

#9 Sep 21, 2009
Poor wrote:
Please someone help me , no job , no money , i think i'm going to check out ......
Join the club
R U Crazy

United States

#10 Sep 21, 2009
So we here in CT are @ 8.1%, why not just include us in the list of those getting extensions, I know it has directly impacted my home with one meber has been looking for 9 months now, and it's hard to even get interviews when each job has hundres if not thousands of applicants to chose from. Something has to be done, and the extension should be mandatoy.
RenoLady

Sun Valley, NV

#11 Sep 21, 2009
The job market and employment is always the last thing which recovers during a recession. But folks have to understand that many of the jobs of the past economy are gone and won't be returning.

My own son has been out of work for over 6 months. He was a well paid professional in corporate America for the last 25 years. But the handwriting is on the wall and at his age, the chances of him returning to a job with his previous salary are essentially none to zero. He is " retooling " himself and preparing for a new career.

There are lots of programs around to help with re-education costs. Many of the community colleges offer 2 year programs that prepare you for a decent career with decent pay. You must be pro-active and positive and not be afraid of changing your mindset for a new challenge. Good luck everyone.
Need a job

Avon, CT

#12 Sep 21, 2009
Town Resident wrote:
As usual, the government keeps giving away OUR money like it grows on trees.
It is utterly false that we are in recovery. A recovery is defined as two quarters in a row of positive growth. We have had nothing like that. But we have had more that two quarters in a row of contraction, which defines the word recession exactly.
If government keeps spending like this -- while making no hard cuts -- this recession will become even greater than the Great Depression.
Hope you lose your job than we will see if you complain about the government spending money to help people who are out of work
Jennie

Waterbury, CT

#13 Sep 21, 2009
I live in CT and I have been receiving unemployment benefits since January '08, and cannot find work, will my benefits be extended another year? Worried
CT Girl

United States

#15 Sep 21, 2009
You guys - it really is BAD out there for finding jobs. A few people I know that are still collecting unemployment have been looking for ANY kind of "office" job since last Dec and have still not found anything. Fortunately, they are open to working retail, going back to school, etc, to do what they have to do. What REALLY needs to happen is THESE COMPANIES WE BAILED OUT NEED TO START HIRING AGAIN AND CREATE NEW JOBS!!!!
Learning Lesson

Newington, CT

#16 Sep 21, 2009
Jezebel282 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask the people who pay 35% of their COBRA payments instead of 100%.
Jobs? Well the Republicans made damned sure that the banks, insurance companies and brokerage houses are making bundles.
The Health Insurance companies have John Beohner and Sarah Palin working for them full time too.
The initial "bail out" was under Bush but thru a DEM MAJORITY and the subsequent ones all under Obama with the DDEM MAJORITY - you can not disassociate the DEMS from these actions try as you may.
Learning Lesson

Newington, CT

#17 Sep 21, 2009
Looking for work wrote:
Governor Rell does nothing for this state , applies high taxes , over priced gasoline , dirty highways , dirty water , high tax cigarettes, and now she doesn't even speak up for all of the thousands of people STILL out of work and exhausting their benefits weekly , where does ALL the casino money go ? All those states are get help for the jobless except Connecticut what a shame we have a person who does not care about the states citizens !
You need an education in who is running the State - it is the DEM Majority in the State House - not the GOV, nothing she wants matters unless the DEMS want it too. They are the LEGISLATIVE VETO PROOF MAJORITY - so pls put responsibility where it belongs. It is laughable to blame RELL for higher taxes and not even note that the DEMS are in control and operating under the same old rules of TAX TAX TAX, SPEND SPEND SPEND, GROW GOVT, GROW WELFARE, REDISTIBUTE WEALTH. Wake up!
dinosaur

Stamford, CT

#18 Sep 21, 2009
We need to give some tax cuts to managers.

Since: Jul 08

Stevenson, CT

#19 Sep 21, 2009
Learning Lesson wrote:
<quoted text>
The initial "bail out" was under Bush but thru a DEM MAJORITY and the subsequent ones all under Obama with the DDEM MAJORITY - you can not disassociate the DEMS from these actions try as you may.
I could have sworn that Bush could have vetoed the TARP bill. Maybe he was so unpopular not even a Republican would stand with him? Thanks for the $1.3 TRILLION deficit, by the way.
Rob

United States

#20 Sep 21, 2009
Jezebel282 you are an idiot.
Obama promised unemployment would not go over 8% were are we now 9.7% and climbing.
Learning Lesson

Newington, CT

#21 Sep 21, 2009
Jezebel282 wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have sworn that Bush could have vetoed the TARP bill. Maybe he was so unpopular not even a Republican would stand with him? Thanks for the $1.3 TRILLION deficit, by the way.
Too easy - it (the reality) speaks to both parties - but lets be clear - it was a DEM MAJORITY - you're in denial and in denying the obvious you are marking yourself as a LEFTIST i f not a liar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jim McDermott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democrats seek relief from health law penalties Feb '15 xxxrayted 26
News Dems to press administration for ObamaCare sign... Feb '15 Eleanor 4
News Strange Vine alert: Congressman does karate (Oct '14) Oct '14 Fundies R Mentall... 2
News New EPA regulations won't be enough to fight gl... (Jun '14) Jun '14 SpaceBlues 2
News Unemployment Benefit Program Set To Expire At Y... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Cat74 14
News The free-trade backlash begins (Oct '13) Oct '13 Drhuxtable 21
News Barack, Trayvon and Islam (Jul '13) Aug '13 Aya 2
More from around the web