Rep. Miller: Experience, seniority are key

Oct 15, 2010 Read more: Bennington Banner 39
Shaftsbury Democratic state Rep. Alice Miller says her experience and seniority on the powerful House Appropriations Committee are just two reasons voters should elect her to an eighth term in Montpelier. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark Shepard - Bennington

Brookline, MA

#1 Oct 16, 2010
Why is it that the people who have been in office all these years and created this mess think they have the experience and know-how to fix the mess? Alice was in a super majority, with the ability to do anything she wanted too ... including overriding any veto by the governor.

Policy is created in the legislature and that is where the real problems have come from ... bad ideas. Not bad intentions, but bad ideas. Alice and her super-majority in the House and Senate might have the best of intentions, but clearly their ideas have failed.

Elections should not be about popularity or giving those in power one more shot at fixing the mess they created. Elections should be about putting Vermont on a more stable path.

In the years Alice Miller has been in office most of my Vermont customers have moved all or part of their Vermont operations to other states. As a result since I left the Senate I have worked more out of state than in state. I am not alone in this and it does impact state revenues when I have to pay my income taxes to another state, the one I am working in.

It really does take a vibrant private sector to have a vibrant state. And the lion's share of the blame has to go to the branch that make policy - the legislature, and not the branch that executes that policy - the governor. The governor by law has to carryout the policies enacted into law. I am not one to give the governor a free ride, but until Vermonters reshape the makeup of the legislature we will not see improvement.
Dumb

Holyoke, MA

#2 Oct 16, 2010
Removing Alice Miller is not going to make or break anything. Even if she was doing everything wrong, hich she isn't, one person is not the whole problem. She is doing good things and the voters will show you that by allowing her to continue.
jeff bombard

Plainville, CT

#3 Oct 16, 2010
if you want the same old story then elect the same old people that are just hangerons. again alice miller takes potshots at a respected man in the community. why do politicians think this is necessary? Advice to Fran Kinney just ignore her. she will sink her own ship.
DirtyCampaigning

Holyoke, MA

#4 Oct 16, 2010
Would you like some dirty campaigning with your coffee sir? First thing on a Saturday morning and you worried politicians are getting cranked up already. Do you dream politics also. What a life you must have! I can't understand why they don't have political debates first thing in the morning when politicos are well rested and all wound up.
Retired Probation officer

Bennington, VT

#5 Oct 16, 2010
Shumlin's talk/idea on corrections, is one Douglas has put forth numerous times and had rejected. Just something to consider at the voting booth.
Shaftsbury Voter

West Dover, VT

#6 Oct 16, 2010
jeff bombard wrote:
if you want the same old story then elect the same old people that are just hangerons. again alice miller takes potshots at a respected man in the community. why do politicians think this is necessary? Advice to Fran Kinney just ignore her. she will sink her own ship.
Alice taking potshots? Are you kidding? Mr. Kinney seems to think in his letter that working for grant money for your town is a bad thing. Sorry, but that's helped us a lot. Mr. Kinney's claim that "I saved" $1.5 million is a riot - boy, guess he thinks he can change facts, then say it loud enough, and assume people will believe you. Who's coaching Mr. Kinney, I wonder. Alice Miller has done more for my district than Mr. Kinney could ever dream of doing.
DirtyCampaigning

Holyoke, MA

#7 Oct 16, 2010
Speaking of DoobieDoo and Dirty Campaigning did anyone see the dope dressed in an orange state penitentiary suit that got out of the DoobieDoo van and ran through the K-Mart plaza at noon today with a big sign that said Shumlin 4 Criminals? How misleading is that? Just the way DoobieDoo likes to play it! Dishonest and misleading!
Just the real facts

Bennington, VT

#8 Oct 16, 2010
Let's talk JOBS.( The figures, herein are from the Department of Labor’s data base)
Voters when you go to the polls Nov. 2, take a minute before marking the ballot and think about the following.

Before I get in to jobs, there is one thing I would like to point out. When Ms. Miller talks about the income sensitivity deduction totaling $762,727 for Shaftsbury, did you, the reader, stop to think why those adjustments were made? Could it be because the LOWER one’s income is, the HIGHER the sensitivity deduction. So is Ms. Miller claiming that there is a large number of low income people in her district, perhaps due to being unemployed or underemployed? Just a thought.

Ms. Miller in her 14+ years has not really accomplished that much, sure she got some money for the town, but what has she done to get jobs in to the state? In her column today she touts a 6% unemployment. Well that is not exactly correct if you break the stats down. According to DOL, the AVERAGE is 6%. However, that figure DOES NOT reflect the number of people who have run out of benefits (they are not counted) or have just given up (they are not counted) or the number of small business owners that have gone out of business and do not get unemployment (they are not counted). Next if one looks at the town by town figures we have a whole different picture. There are approx. 246 towns in Vermont. 71 of those have unemployment rates at 8.5%+, 25 of those towns have unemployment rates of 11%+, 2 towns are at 19%+, another at 14%+.

No, Ms.Miller you have not truly accomplished much in your 14 years, over the years . In fact you have reigned over a period where we have seen, businesses shutting down, declining school enrollment, graduates leaving to find jobs else where (out of state), an infrastructure that has degraded, energy sources (we are becoming more and more dependent on not only on outside sources, but to add insult to injury out of country, sources of energy-that equates to JOBS not here). At the debates you talked about a young girl's success. Didn't you realize what you were really saying ? This young lady went to school out of state what does that say about our schools?

With all Vermont has to offer, we should be overflowing with JOBS, kids in school, fantastic roads/transportation, abundant energy. We are not. Who is really to blame? The voters that keep re-electing and re-electing representatives like Ms. Miller.

Ms. Miller time for you to leave 14 years is just too damn long. Elected office was not meant to be a career option.
Facts

Holyoke, MA

#9 Oct 16, 2010
Next time you try proving something you say is fact please post links to actually prove it. Anyone can post numbers. Oh by the way the 14 years thing over and over and over again was a little much. It overshadowed your other points or was that your point. I think so.
jeff bombard

Plainville, CT

#10 Oct 16, 2010
DirtyCampaigning wrote:
Speaking of DoobieDoo and Dirty Campaigning did anyone see the dope dressed in an orange state penitentiary suit that got out of the DoobieDoo van and ran through the K-Mart plaza at noon today with a big sign that said Shumlin 4 Criminals? How misleading is that? Just the way DoobieDoo likes to play it! Dishonest and misleading!
shumlin and dubie cut from the same cookie cutter. vote independant.
Blue Ox

Middlebury, VT

#11 Oct 16, 2010
jeff bombard wrote:
<quoted text>shumlin and dubie cut from the same cookie cutter. vote independant.
Yep. Vote for a man who dresses like a lumber jack and thinks Vt. should secede from the union...brilliant.

Maybe just draw cartoon fish collecting Social Security checks on your ballot...same thing.
CamG

Holyoke, MA

#12 Oct 16, 2010
When I saw him at the debate I thought he looked like someones bodyguard or undercover police. If elected maybe he could save us the cost of that unneeded service.
Just the real facts

Manchester Center, VT

#13 Oct 16, 2010
Facts wrote:
Next time you try proving something you say is fact please post links to actually prove it. Anyone can post numbers. Oh by the way the 14 years thing over and over and over again was a little much. It overshadowed your other points or was that your point. I think so.
I did cite the source of the data DOL's data base, "The Dpartment of Labor". As to the 14 year thng, just following Mr.Miller's lead she keeps repeating it over in over and reminding us of her long service and "power"" when one talks to her or she notes in her own write ups and at gathereings. You are right getting a bit tired of hearing it from her too!
Just the real facts

Manchester Center, VT

#14 Oct 16, 2010
jeff bombard wrote:
<quoted text>shumlin and dubie cut from the same cookie cutter. vote independant.
Ditto!!!
Facts

Holyoke, MA

#15 Oct 16, 2010
You posted links to actually prove it? Where?

Thats funny because there isn't a single link in any of your post including the ones you posted in different forums with different names! I know because I checked!

Your just another GOP hack endlessly running your yap in hopes of a positive result in your favor!

Good luck with that!
DirtyCampaigning

Holyoke, MA

#16 Oct 16, 2010
Looks like I scooped the Banner by hours on this one!

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/bennington-...

Man dressed like inmate crashes Shumlin rally in Bennington

NEAL P. GOSWAMI, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/16/2010 11:19:02 PM EDT

BENNINGTON - A man showed up at a rally Saturday morning for Democratic nominee Sen. Peter Shumlin carrying a "Convicts 4 Shumlin" sign and wearing an orange prison suit and what appeared to be a fake swastika tattoo.

The man in the prison outfit, who identified himself as "John Horton," claimed to be an ex-con who had served time for possessing "a small amount" of marijuana. However, he also was in attendance at a campaign event several weeks ago for GOP gubernatorial nominee Lt. Gov. Brian Dubie at the Bennington County GOP headquarters on South Street.

"Horton," who appears to be Kurtis Stevens in a profile on the social network Website Facebook, claimed he was a supporter of Shumlin's because Shumlin, the Senate president pro tem, would release inmates early.

Shumlin has proposed saving as much as $40 million in the state's Corrections budget by transitioning nonviolent inmates - after they complete their prison sentences - back into society through education programs and support services so they do not committee new crimes and end up back in prison.

Dubie has claimed in debates and radio and television advertisements that Shumlin would release inmates early, and that drug dealers and child pornographers would be released.

Dubie's claims have been challenged as inaccurate by media outlets across the state, including the Banner.

Shumlin Campaign Manager Alexandra MacLean said Saturday that such displays should not be a part of the campaign.

"The concerted efforts on behalf of Brian Dubie and his campaign to spread hate and fear through intimidation has no place in Vermont. It is not the Vermont way," MacLean said.

A second man parked a large camper outfitted with Dubie signs directly in front of the Bennington County Democratic headquarters for several minutes shortly before Shumlin's event. He also has been present at previous Dubie events in Bennington.

The camper is owned by Kirby Wright, who also owns the building housing the Bennington County GOP headquarters.

Bennington County Republican Committee Chairman Daniel Riley said neither incident was orchestrated by Republican Party officials.

Dubie campaign officials said Saturday that they had no knowledge of Shumlin's rally or that the two men would show up. "I have no idea who did this," campaign Manager Corry Bliss said. "We don't condone this childish behavior."

Dubie spokeswoman Kate Duffy said she was "shocked and dismayed" by the display. "We're not into the theater and jokes and games like that. We had absolutely no part of it and do not at all support that," she said.

Shumlin spoke briefly with "Horton" in front of the Democratic headquarters after addressing his supporters inside.

Contact Neal P. Goswami at ngoswami@benningtonbanner.com

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/ci_16359165

http://www.topix.com/forum/source/bennington-...
R U Sure Drama Queen

Atlanta, GA

#17 Oct 17, 2010
DirtyCampaigning wrote:
Looks like I scooped the Banner by hours on this one!
Ya know wingnut, one of these days you're gonna figure out that
this online edition is not manned 24/7/365 for your entertainment
pleasure.
ABoardmember

Norwich, VT

#18 Oct 17, 2010
Mark Shepard - Bennington wrote:
Why is it that the people who have been in office all these years and created this mess think they have the experience and know-how to fix the mess? Alice was in a super majority, with the ability to do anything she wanted too ... including overriding any veto by the governor.
Policy is created in the legislature and that is where the real problems have come from ... bad ideas. Not bad intentions, but bad ideas. Alice and her super-majority in the House and Senate might have the best of intentions, but clearly their ideas have failed.
Elections should not be about popularity or giving those in power one more shot at fixing the mess they created. Elections should be about putting Vermont on a more stable path.
In the years Alice Miller has been in office most of my Vermont customers have moved all or part of their Vermont operations to other states. As a result since I left the Senate I have worked more out of state than in state. I am not alone in this and it does impact state revenues when I have to pay my income taxes to another state, the one I am working in.
It really does take a vibrant private sector to have a vibrant state. And the lion's share of the blame has to go to the branch that make policy - the legislature, and not the branch that executes that policy - the governor. The governor by law has to carryout the policies enacted into law. I am not one to give the governor a free ride, but until Vermonters reshape the makeup of the legislature we will not see improvement.
Funny how you republicans always find someone to blame, but never yourselves for anything. It tells us you people lack the ability to see facts for facts and accept responsibility for your actions.
ABoardmember

Norwich, VT

#19 Oct 17, 2010
Just the real facts wrote:
Let's talk JOBS.( The figures, herein are from the Department of Labor’s data base)
Voters when you go to the polls Nov. 2, take a minute before marking the ballot and think about the following.
Before I get in to jobs, there is one thing I would like to point out. When Ms. Miller talks about the income sensitivity deduction totaling $762,727 for Shaftsbury, did you, the reader, stop to think why those adjustments were made? Could it be because the LOWER one’s income is, the HIGHER the sensitivity deduction. So is Ms. Miller claiming that there is a large number of low income people in her district, perhaps due to being unemployed or underemployed? Just a thought.
Ms. Miller in her 14+ years has not really accomplished that much, sure she got some money for the town, but what has she done to get jobs in to the state? In her column today she touts a 6% unemployment. Well that is not exactly correct if you break the stats down. According to DOL, the AVERAGE is 6%. However, that figure DOES NOT reflect the number of people who have run out of benefits (they are not counted) or have just given up (they are not counted) or the number of small business owners that have gone out of business and do not get unemployment (they are not counted). Next if one looks at the town by town figures we have a whole different picture. There are approx. 246 towns in Vermont. 71 of those have unemployment rates at 8.5%+, 25 of those towns have unemployment rates of 11%+, 2 towns are at 19%+, another at 14%+.
No, Ms.Miller you have not truly accomplished much in your 14 years, over the years . In fact you have reigned over a period where we have seen, businesses shutting down, declining school enrollment, graduates leaving to find jobs else where (out of state), an infrastructure that has degraded, energy sources (we are becoming more and more dependent on not only on outside sources, but to add insult to injury out of country, sources of energy-that equates to JOBS not here). At the debates you talked about a young girl's success. Didn't you realize what you were really saying ? This young lady went to school out of state what does that say about our schools?
With all Vermont has to offer, we should be overflowing with JOBS, kids in school, fantastic roads/transportation, abundant energy. We are not. Who is really to blame? The voters that keep re-electing and re-electing representatives like Ms. Miller.
Ms. Miller time for you to leave 14 years is just too damn long. Elected office was not meant to be a career option.
There are two choices here; one for someone who has shown the ability to think and understand ramifications of actions, and one for someone who likes to say no to everything and claim it saves taxes. You want to claim that 14 years is too long, well maybe so -- but Kinny has been on several school boards for longer then that, and they are still failing schools. What makes you believe he will do any better by us upstate?
Vic Harwood in Virginia

Norfolk, VA

#20 Oct 17, 2010
I'm flabbergasted that incumbents would chose to use attributes such as "experience" and "seniority" especially in this election! Viewing a pretty dysfunctional legislature in Montpelier, I'd have to view both as negatives this time around, for sure. Seniority in itself is nothing that the Founding Fathers, or Ethan Allen, would have intended. A fresh slate should be the case in the legislature, with no seniority, and absolute equality among all who represent the People. Isn't the term "equality" mentioned throughout our founding documents?
I do have to completely agree with you about taking back the county's educational decision making back to the localities. Decentralization for the People is the best and most effective course.
As and aside, Alice, my Mom tells me that her "Kinney for Representative" sign in her front lawn was removed sometime Friday night or Saturday. In that Mom is a quarter of a mile from your house, please be alerted that trespassers, thieves, and hooligans are making their presence felt. Keep vigilant with YOUR electioneering materials!
Possibly, someone might have wished it for a souvenir, but I'd doubt it.
Mom told me that she would asked Fran for a replacement this morning in Church. I'm sure that he will.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jeff Miller Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tentative deal reached on veterans affairs reform (Jul '14) Apr 6 RN 31 years 4
News Obama visits Phoenix VA facility at heart of sc... Apr 2 31 years an RN 11
News Obama to visit Phoenix VA hospital, check progr... Mar '15 Mothra 25
News VA's 'choice' program for health care off to sl... Feb '15 Viet Nam Veteran 1
News VA Official First To Be Fired Over Falsified-Re... Oct '14 Viet Nam Vet 1
News VA fires four executives over wait times scandal (Oct '14) Oct '14 Viet Nam Veteran 6
News 'Fired' VA official escapes being fired, opts f... (Oct '14) Oct '14 kal 2
More from around the web